Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tesla S has "Ludicrous Speed" mode - 0-100k in 2.8secs

wheel hub motors will open a new can of worms in car design
    its just a matter of time not to have an engine bay and a batt
    as they do now on some models as the floor.
    Last edited by datso; 20-07-15 at 12:26 AM.

MagnettiMarelli have just released an MGU-h for sale in the market which is also cool but slightly OT.
    https://www.facebook.com/forgedperformanceaustralia/posts/849412325135742:0
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 20-07-15 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richzx View Post
    This. How good is it going to be when hot rodders get hold of electric cars and start tuning them for more power, longer range, bigger electric motors etc. The future is going to be insanely fast electric cars that do silent burnouts (what will the cops do????) and leave most ic engines in their wake. I look forward to it but the sound of a tough ic engine will be sorely missed even if they pipe the sound into the cabin it just won't be the same.
    Modders will be frying themselves left, right and centre....this shit isn't to be taken lightly and you can't just roll out the spanners and start swapping shit. Mods will be undertaken by workshops mostly I reckon?
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

yep, in the context of workshops fucking with cars teslas pyro fuse in the battery pack sounds like a very good idea.

Oo___oO

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    Modders will be frying themselves left, right and centre....this shit isn't to be taken lightly and you can't just roll out the spanners and start swapping shit. Mods will be undertaken by workshops mostly I reckon?
    There are a heap of backyard electric conversions out there already. It's just a matter of time until the Tesla stuff winds up in other cars.

Although, I'm pretty sure the batteries would be in demand for people looking at home solar setups as well.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    Although, I'm pretty sure the batteries would be in demand for people looking at home solar setups as well.
    Did you miss the Tesla wall thingo? Their batteries in a nice looking box to do exactly that (and grab cheap off peak power to recharge, and feed the house in peak)
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

seen a maroon 1 a month back, followed it down past botany bay, nice shape but it could be a new commodore or a budget lexus. looks a big average for that coin

Quote Originally Posted by pH@tTm@N View Post
    Did you miss the Tesla wall thingo? Their batteries in a nice looking box to do exactly that (and grab cheap off peak power to recharge, and feed the house in peak)
    Holden/HSV sell a supercharged commodore but people still do that themselves.
    If in doubt power out

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Holden/HSV sell a supercharged commodore but people still do that themselves.
    While this is true, Holden charge you $50k to fit a supercharger to a car which is, if you compare across all privately-owned vehicles (ie. compare to everything from RAV4's to La Ferraris), only incrementally better than the $50k version of the same car. That's why people do that themselves. If Tesla stick to the pricing they claimed at the start of the year for their pretty wall-box thingies, the number of people doing that themselves using bits & pieces of broken car won't be all that high.

Still, I guess there are people using busted Prius bits for similar jiggery-pokery.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post
    The P85 battery pack weighs 600kg and has dimensions of measuring 8 feet (2,450 mm) in length, about 5 feet (2,440 mm) in width and four inches (102 mm) in thickness

Where are you going to stick all that plus the electric motor and associated electricals?
    The new/upcoming compact Tesla sedan should have a smaller battery, yes?

You're not thinking like a hot-rodder
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Quote Originally Posted by datso View Post
    wheel hub motors will open a new can of worms in car design
    its just a matter of time not to have an engine bay and a batt
    as they do now on some models as the floor.
    the tesla is already like that. 7 seat (no fuel tank to get in the way at the back) and massive boot up front (no motor in the way there either)

benefit of designing a car as an EV right from the start

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    the tesla is already like that. 7 seat (no fuel tank to get in the way at the back) and massive boot up front (no motor in the way there either)

benefit of designing a car as an EV right from the start
    There is no massive boot up front for the AWD models. It was designed to put a motor there.
    The underfloor batteries cause their own packaging problems. High floor causes headroom and rear seat comfort issues. Much like the body on frame dual cab utes.

Modern ICE car usually have their fuel tank under the read seat. Not under the boot.

under or behind. either way makes it more difficult for packaging. didnt know the 4wds did not have the front boot. thats a bit gay.

My car has battery under the drivers seat....

Not a tesla though

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    There are a heap of backyard electric conversions out there already. It's just a matter of time until the Tesla stuff winds up in other cars.

Petrol engine modders (hell even Diesel engine modders) = eleventy

Propellerhead electric modders = 10 in relative terms

Get as many of the former, doing the latter (who arent propellerheads) and see how many crispy modders result
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

It'll be a sad day when Ozone replaces nitro as the smell hanging in the air at the drags.

There has been an electric drag scene for quite some time - but few spectators as whilst quick it lacks the noise and theatre of ICE cars.
    Yes we Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    How many retards have retarded working on ic cars????? Only a billion. There a lot of smart people out there and electric is no different to ic they will be modded and some will be total rubbish and unsafe and some will be like Carroll Shelby it's just the way it is.

http://electrek.co/2015/11/16/tesla-...epower-claims/

Earlier this month, Tesla changed the advertised horsepower of the Model S P85D from 691 hp to 463 hp.

The company also offers the ‘Ludicrous upgrade’ to increase the max power output of the battery pack from 1300 to 1500 Amps, which enables 532 hp according to Tesla. – still significantly less than the original 691 hp.
    Whoops... Tesla telling fibs about power output. After lecturing other about fibbing

From an advertised 515kw to a revised 345kw. Class action perhaps?
    Last edited by rj_astra; 18-11-15 at 10:22 AM.

I drove a P85D the other day in Insane Mode (the Ludicrous ones aren't here yet). Sure felt like quite a bit more than 436hp...it felt like an honest 700!
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    I drove a P85D the other day in Insane Mode (the Ludicrous ones aren't here yet). Sure felt like quite a bit more than 436hp...it felt like an honest 700!
    Full torque from 0 rpm will probably do that.

dont really think 436hp is going to push 2.3T to an 11 second 1/4 mile.
    this signature intentionally left blank

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Seeing a handful of these around Perth, which is keen considering there is sfa charging infrastructure and the nearest dealer is Melbourne....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

The Electric motor / drive train modding argument sounds eerily similar to the 'Only workshops will be able to modify this new fangled EFI stuff' argument of 1986
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    under or behind. either way makes it more difficult for packaging. didnt know the 4wds did not have the front boot. thats a bit gay.
    They do have it however it's a bit smaller to fit the front motors.

Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss View Post
    dont really think 436hp is going to push 2.3T to an 11 second 1/4 mile.
    AWD and max everything near 0 rpm
    Trap speeds for Tesla show its all in the launch. A RWD Hellcat will chase it down.

Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post
    AWD and max everything near 0 rpm
    Trap speeds for Tesla show its all in the launch. A RWD Hellcat will chase it down.
    Yes, but you can't fight physics. 997 911 turbo is the closest match I can find, 480hp, AWD, tons of grip, 0-60 in 3.4, 11.6 1/4 and it weighs 600kg less than the Tesla. I have no doubt it needs less power to accomplish the same time down the 1/4 mile, but it is nowhere near the low 400s. There are people putting RWD teslas on the dyno and getting 400+ hp - http://insideevs.com/video-autocar-s...s-to-the-dyno/
    this signature intentionally left blank

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Aren't they 4 billion Nm?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Why is everyone banging on about it running 11's, shouldn't the trap speed be more telling of the power output?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss View Post
    Yes, but you can't fight physics. 997 911 turbo is the closest match I can find, 480hp, AWD, tons of grip, 0-60 in 3.4, 11.6 1/4 and it weighs 600kg less than the Tesla. I have no doubt it needs less power to accomplish the same time down the 1/4 mile, but it is nowhere near the low 400s. There are people putting RWD teslas on the dyno and getting 400+ hp - http://insideevs.com/video-autocar-s...s-to-the-dyno/
    Close enough to prove to you it's the realms of possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Why is everyone banging on about it running 11's, shouldn't the trap speed be more telling of the power output?
    Do those "formulas" work when powered by electrical motors? Or are they strictly physics? Something with a bazillion horsepower but take ages to get to full power won't allow enough time to accelerate so would give a false reading for example.