Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tesla S has "Ludicrous Speed" mode - 0-100k in 2.8secs

I know how they work, I have no doubts they are fast and thats the point, i just dont think it has only 4xx hp.

This sounds a bit more realistic

“The P85D was marketed as making 691 horsepower. It doesn’t. We believe, based on various testing methods and tools including dynamometer testing and testing with professional performance data loggers that the maximum energy output is 415 [kilowatts], which results in a maximum horsepower of 557 before any drivetrain losses on a fully charged battery. Even without factoring in drive train loss, this is almost 20 percent less than the advertised horsepower."

Shonky - Not really, when you are comparing ICE and electric with 1 single figure, they are going to perform differently depending on what is tested (mph and trap should give a decent indication though). Roughly speaking the only think a power figure will be able to tell you is the top speed given ideal gearing, everything else will require a bit of knowledge of the type of torque curve producing the power. A 400hp electric, diesel, 1L with big turbo, highly strung N/A 2L, or 4L with small turbo are all going to give different torque/power curves and perform differently in different situations.
    Last edited by CussCuss; 18-11-15 at 02:18 PM.
    this signature intentionally left blank

OK, look at the 997 911 then. 480hp and an 11.6 1/4. Is that wrong too?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    OK, look at the 997 911 then. 480hp and an 11.6 1/4. Is that wrong too?
    How much does it weigh and what is the trap speed when it runs that 11.6?

What i'm saying is that the AWD P85D supposedly weighs 2243kg, and it's run 11.6 @ 116.4mph
    http://dragtimes.com/Tesla-Model-S-Timeslip-27488.html which is a relatively low trap speed.
    It suggests to me that the Tesla launches hard and quick, compared to other vehicles.
    The ET says more about the setup of the car, traction, etc. than outright power.

If you compare another AWD vehicle of similar weight and trap speed, then it would have roughly the same power. Not considering the ET at all..
    I'm not going to spend days searching for numbers from a similar weight/trap AWD vehicle, if one even exists.
    The Bentley Continental GT Speed is heavier, the R35 GTR is lighter. Cayenne Turbo is heavier, RRS SVR is heavier...

Comparing the ET's of a "heavy" electric AWD vehicle to a lighter RWD internal combustion vehicle is not even apples to oranges, let alone apples to apples.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

You only need the trap speed and weight of a vehicle to calculate an fairly accurate Hp/kw figure.

5000lbs and 116mph is around 625hp

Oh it launches alright. Give it the boot from a standstill and its....ludicrous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

My Subie does the same time at the same MPH (well, it varied between 116 and 118). It also does 0-100 in just under 3 seconds on the data logs. So very similar power to weight and grip levels. Car weight on the day was 1280kg without me in it (1370kg with). Power would definitely be under 450hp at the engine. Can't imagine you'd get a 2.2t car to do that time without 600+.

One thing to keep in mind though would be the amount of effort they put into aero to improve the range. It would make a significant difference in the back half of the quarter.

also electric motors work the complete opposite to IC engines
    Electric motors produce 100% torque from standstill, and then drop torque/power at higher RPM

It's really like a 6000rpm clutch dump in a WRX...every time you tickle the throttle from standstill. You guys have got to try one if you can.

And there is no fucking way a EV has 20% drive train loss. What fucking drive train? There is barely any. I'd say 5%.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And there is no fucking way a EV has 20% drive train loss. What fucking drive train? There is barely any. I'd say 5%.

Yeah there's no gears, just direct drive. One gear to go from 0-255kmh

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    It's really like a 6000rpm clutch dump in a WRX...every time you tickle the throttle from standstill. You guys have got to try one if you can.
    Have and aside from stupid quick 60' times what else do you get?

I'll challenge any Telsa to do a 4 lap sprint around EC, I reckon you'd be lucky get 2 gets in before it goes into limp mode.

No engine sound, no smell of ethanol (86) or Triple Webers (260z), just feels wrong to me.

I would totally buy something like a Nissan Leaf in a few times time (assuming they get under 30K) purely to get to work and back on the cheap. But if I'm paying 120K+ there are so many more interesting cars out there with character.

Lotus Exige, Alfa 4C, M4, C63 etc etc etc

Edit: Interesting:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...ive-away-21878
    Last edited by MZ21; 18-11-15 at 07:48 PM.

I felt the same way (geez I drive a rotor as a daily and the other car runs on webers).

...then I drove a Tesla P85D. And now I want one. Seriously.

I love his reaction when he takes off from a standing start. (1:55)

1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

They reckon the next gen Panasonic NCR18650C cells will have at least another 20% in capacity for the same weight and power output will also improve.

The plan is to increase the kwhr capacity, increase the power output without frying anything (at least for a 1/4 mile run say 10 secs) and drop the weight of the battery pack. If they manage that, the next ludicrous Model S will be a low 10 second 1/4 mile monster. Definitely no more Hellcat/Huracan reel in's anymore.
    Fortune favours the brave

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by BiH View Post
    They reckon the next gen Panasonic NCR18650C cells will have at least another 20% in capacity for the same weight and power output will also improve.

The plan is to increase the kwhr capacity, increase the power output without frying anything (at least for a 1/4 mile run say 10 secs) and drop the weight of the battery pack. If they manage that, the next ludicrous Model S will be a low 10 second 1/4 mile monster. Definitely no more Hellcat/Huracan reel in's anymore.
    FWIW there's been demonstrated lithium battery technology that gives over three times the energy density and at reduced weight. So apart from the charging it'd be much like having a petrol car in terms of performance and range.

Also, I think the Hellcat comparison misses an important point.

A Tesla Model S has an awesome interior loaded with gadgets and features (it's like trying an iphone for the first time after a 90s Nokia), and it's luxuriously silent. The batteries down below the floor and the motors at hub level mean it's got a low centre of gravity and is really very wieldy. And it can drive itself...the Auto Pilot mode totally freaked me out. A regular car feels stone age after one.

A Bentley Continental is roughly the same power to weight ratio (2.3T + 600hp) and I reckon the powery deliver of the Tesla is the one I prefer. I shit thee not.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    A friend of mine was in love with the Tesla, it was going to be his next car.
    He went over to the states, did the factory tour, did all the test drives, had one for a weekend, etc...
    His current daily is a 2 year old supercharged V8 Jag, that's now had a few tweaks (more powerz, and even louder than before).

After getting back from the states and into the loud, obnoxious, ball tearer Jag, he went off the Tesla completely.
    Decided that being fast and full of tech was not exciting enough, and certainly not for the money asked.
    It was missing the engagement, the noise, the drama, the soul, the rawness. Yes it was fast, but it wasn't as much fun.

I've not driven one so I can't really comment, but that's what happened with him.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I reckon I'd have a very difficult decision if I had to choose *one* car and I could only have one.

But...I'd like to have a noisy car and a Tesla in the garage. IMHO they're both hot rods in a different way.

An Audi S8 (2100 kg, 4L v8 turbo) gives Standing -mile: 11.9 sec @ 118 mph. Similar trap speed. 390kw and 650Nm (at 1700rpm)

Take the AWD out of the tesla (P85+) and the figures are 12.4s @ 112.5mph

Yes but Tesla doesn't use any petrol, and doesn't need servicing (there's just a regular inspection).

The Audi will implode 30secs outside of the warranty

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post
    Whoops... Tesla telling fibs about power output. After lecturing other about fibbing
    From an advertised 515kw to a revised 345kw. Class action perhaps?
    Maybe they can just license the Mazda rotary logo & attach that?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    I felt the same way (geez I drive a rotor as a daily and the other car runs on webers).

...then I drove a Tesla P85D. And now I want one. Seriously.
    +1. It's crazy how effortless they are. No discernible change in torque, no flare up or down when you normally expect a gear change. It's kinda like when you accelerate on a runway in a jet.

As amazing as serious electric vehicles like this Tesla are I feel it's the personality of the driver that will separate those that love them and those that could care less. Same as most car buying choices I suppose. The otherwise pleasant enough chap in the above video is obviously not your average PF forum participant. Going to throw up from some serious acceleration? Admits he doesn't like amusement park rides etc etc.

Those that like a bit of excitement in their life will obviously reject these seemingly dull machines except for daily transport use. Of course at this stage (and seemingly at least for another 5 - 10 years) battery pricing will restrict this kind of performance and range to the price ranges outside of everyday transport me thinks.

It is the future though obviously even if financially at this stage the equation maybe doesn't quite work but then it doesn't for most car makers.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tesl...dox-1423786534

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    Have and aside from stupid quick 60' times what else do you get?

I'll challenge any Telsa to do a 4 lap sprint around EC, I reckon you'd be lucky get 2 gets in before it goes into limp mode.
    Wot?
    Quote Originally Posted by piss98
    I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

He is talking about the Model S reducing power from components overheating, like the battery pack.

But I don't think Elon Musk meant it to be a Green Hell stormer..

Id personally love one. Upgrade my 5kw solar to 10kw and then charge it with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Id personally love one. Upgrade my 5kw solar to 10kw and then charge it with that.
    That would require your car being at home during the day.
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Orange View Post
    Needs a quick-swap battery replacement system, like with rechargeable power tools.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Orange View Post
    Which it is. I work from home

New Tesla S has "Ludicrous Speed" mode - 0-100k in 2.8secs

Quote Originally Posted by 2rismo View Post
    Wot?
    X2

The Model S is a 2.3ton 4 door luxo barge, and it's 400km range is fine for my daily 35km commute (during which I can chop anything away from the lights, short of a Veyron, and drive itself in the bumper to bumper traffic)

When they put out a GT3 competitor, then we'll talk about how it goes on the track.

Last edited by Babalouie; 19-11-15 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forg View Post
    Needs a quick-swap battery replacement system, like with rechargeable power tools.
    There is that, or I believe Tesla's Power Wall will go a long way to solving the problem. Fill the power wall up overnight on cheap offpeak or during the day on solar, then flick the switch and fast-charge the electric car.
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?