Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tesla S has "Ludicrous Speed" mode - 0-100k in 2.8secs

Maybe the low traps speeds are due to the power curve of the motor (remember, no gearbox). Elec motors also have a peak power rpm (although there might be tricks to spread it out). So perhaps above 100mph the motor is spinning too hard so power is tailing off.

Quote Originally Posted by VHSS View Post
    Electric motors produce 100% torque from standstill
    Common misconception.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

The low trap on the 85d is because the battery tapers the power off after a few seconds

I had a volt, and when you pinned it, it'd build up and reach peak output, then after a few seconds the battery would taper off the power slightly the longer you kept into it, as to not damage the pack due to drawing massive amps over and over

Apparently the p90d has had further upgrades and they now are saying it runs 10.9 and the mph is in the 120mph bracket around 124mph I think I've seen, so now not just quick, but almost fast too

Haven't seen any go that quick over the 1/4 yet thou, maybe there's going to be a software update again to achieve that, but there's lots of vids of the 90 vs the 85 on YouTube

Where to next though? If a 2.3 ton sedan can go like this, imagine roadster v2.0 or something, make something actually cool, not the hideous SUV wanna be shit heap
    Last edited by MexicanBatman; 19-11-15 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Common misconception.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    I reckon I'd have a very difficult decision if I had to choose *one* car and I could only have one.

But...I'd like to have a noisy car and a Tesla in the garage. IMHO they're both hot rods in a different way.
    Qft. Ive only driven the P85S and was impressed with the acceleration from that, let alone a D.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

When I was driving the P85D, we wafted silently up to the lights beside a modded Lancer Evo.

I pressed a button on the steering wheel and said "play Michael Jackson" and the stereo started streaming MJ from my phone. And then I pressed the button and said "take me to the nearest McDonalds" and a route on the GPS lit up and if I engaged Auto Pilot, the car would take me there.

And if we wanted to make the Evo a tiny spot in the rear view mirror, we could do that too. Perfect launch, every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Common misconception.
    yes/no. depends on the type of electric motor.

...and the air suspension is hooked up to the GPS. The Tesla dealership has this epic steep driveway, and the Model S raises itself automatically as you approach. And when you lock the car while it's on charge, the charging plug latches in place, so that ppl can't fuck with it.

It takes quite a long time for someone to take you through all its unusual features.
    Last edited by Babalouie; 19-11-15 at 09:45 AM.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by TriPod1 View Post
    As amazing as serious electric vehicles like this Tesla are I feel it's the personality of the driver that will separate those that love them and those that could care less. Same as most car buying choices I suppose. The otherwise pleasant enough chap in the above video is obviously not your average PF forum participant. Going to throw up from some serious acceleration? Admits he doesn't like amusement park rides etc etc.

Those that like a bit of excitement in their life will obviously reject these seemingly dull machines except for daily transport use.
    Umm When did an 11 second car become dull.

When it weighs 2.2-3t?

Quote Originally Posted by 2rismo View Post
    Wot?
    I will eat my hat (or flatbrim) if a Tesla can do 4 balls out laps at EC without going into limp mode.

EDIT: Couldn't manage 1/2 a lap full attack with going into limp:

https://www.quora.com/Has-a-Tesla-mo...put-on-a-track
    Last edited by MZ21; 19-11-15 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BreaksMyWallet View Post
    Maybe the low traps speeds are due to the power curve of the motor (remember, no gearbox). Elec motors also have a peak power rpm (although there might be tricks to spread it out). So perhaps above 100mph the motor is spinning too hard so power is tailing off.
    Pretty sure the low traps are the management software actively managing the battery output and motor torque. Once they figure that shit out it will be really scary.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    When it weighs 2.2-3t?
    So same as an Audi S8, continental GT, or a Mercedes S63....

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    Pretty sure the low traps are the management software actively managing the battery output and motor torque. Once they figure that shit out it will be really scary.
    It's not really a low trap speed. As I mentioned before, my car does the same time at the same trap, it's not uncommon for internal combustion engined cars that can pull decent 60' times (so generally AWDs or RWDs with drag radials) to do mid 11s with under 120mph trap speeds.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pupat View Post
    Umm When did an 11 second car become dull.
    When it got to about 25 seconds at the same performance level & ran out of power?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Forg View Post
    When it got to about 25 seconds at the same performance level & ran out of power?
    Ba-Bow...

And that's the slow 400hp version.

That doesn't show-up in this browser as more than an empty box ... but wouldn't the slow 400hp version have longer battery life?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

8% improvement per year for Li batts is the confidence Elon Musk uses that battery personal transport will rule the roads

Personally Id rather my old school retro ICE beast for weekends early in the morning or late at night on a summer evening
    however you cant deny these Tesla offerings are a ballsy effort vs Detroit and US Gov & peoples thinking.

I waiting for retro mini truck / people mover like a Modek on steroids for range and only 8-10 second 0-100kmhr
    thats what the market is lacking atm as most families are only guided to SUVs and 4wds

However Gull wing doors are gay, prefer sliding doors for tight spaces and less than 2 metre tall garages
    Last edited by datso; 19-11-15 at 02:03 PM.

There's a Nissan Leaf on Carsales with 5,000 on it for $25K. 180KM range. Perfect for daily commute. Not Tesla cool, but probably the future of leccy cars for the masses

If you're thinking that the future for cars is gonna suck, then the Tesla is the thing that will convince you that there is something to look forward to. If they can get such a fat ass luxobarge to boogie like that, then I'm thinking that a proper sports car (not the modified Elise they did a few years ago) or a small sedan would be amazing.

Something the size of a Lexus IS, but with the performance of a Model S....yum yum

Opens
    If you're thinking that the future for cars is gonna suck, then the Tesla is the thing that will convince you that there is something to look forward to. If they can get such a fat ass luxobarge to boogie like that, then I'm thinking that a proper sports car (not the modified Elise they did a few years ago) or a small sedan would be amazing.

Something the size of a Lexus IS, but with the performance of a Model S....yum yum
    Exactly. the new Model 3 is supposed to be BMW 3-series size and aimed at the same some. Tesla have reinvented the electric car from some rediculously slow piece of crap that no one wants to a very fast luxury car that everyone wants, it was done wonders for changing the view on electric car hell it's changed my view on them.

I'm looking forward to a 1000km range Tesla Model S. Leave home at 6am, turn onto high with GPS aimed at Sydney, engage autopilot and then relax for 10 hours whilst the car drives me to Sydney without needing to stop.

It almost does that now, except you'll have to stop at Goulburn and Albury to recharge. 20mins gets you 80% charge and you're on your way. Sydney to Melbourne for free.

I have to say though, that it's going to take me some time before I trust the car to do the driving for hours and hours while I read a magazine or something

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    When it weighs 2.2-3t?
    Does doing an 11s quarter mile feel different in a lighter car?

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/obvious...las-autopilot/

Wednesday, a red Tesla Model S P85D with the license plate “UBER QIK” arrived at a parking garage on East 31st Street in Manhattan. This is noteworthy only because that very car was at the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, California, just two and a half days earlier.

The Model S crossed the country in record time for an EV—and drove itself nearly the entire way.

Carl Reese, Deena Mastracci, and Alex Roy made the coast-to-coast drive in 57 hours and 48 minutes, a time that is still to be verified by an independent third party. The three are veterans of record-setting transcontinental runs: In April, Reese and Mastracci set a record for the least time spent charging an EV while driving across the country. And Roy, a rally driver, set an unofficial “Cannonball Run” record in 2006, driving from New York to LA in just 31 hours and 4 minutes.
    They had autopilot mode engaged 96 percent of the time, Reese says, using it at speeds around 90 mph. It eased the burden on the team, a big deal when you’re in a car for 57 hours straight.
    Autopilot caused a few scares, Roy says, largely because the car was moving so quickly. “There were probably three or four moments where we were on autonomous mode at 90 miles an hour, and hands off the wheel,” and the road curved, Roy says. Where a trained driver would aim for the apex—the geometric center of the turn—to maintain speed and control, the car follows the lane lines. “If I hadn’t had my hands there, ready to take over, the car would have gone off the road and killed us.” He’s not annoyed by this, though. “That’s my fault for setting a speed faster than the system’s capable of compensating.”

And don't forget the technology involved is still pretty-much in it's infancy compared to internal-combustion powertrains.

Common misconception.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    lol, 4-Cylinder High Performance Engine Torque Curve...

And the rpm doesn't mean shit to me. 6000rpm ICE + 6 gears vs. an electric motor with no gears. How is the rpm relevant?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    lol, 4-Cylinder High Performance Engine Torque Curve...

And the rpm doesn't mean shit to me. 6000rpm ICE + 6 gears vs. an electric motor with no gears. How is the rpm relevant?
    I don't think I've seen a 4 cylinder (or any IC engine including diesel) that makes 100% torque at 1 RPM....

rpm is relevant because I stated earlier that electric motors make 100% torque from standstill and was told it was a 'common misconception'
    well the evidence above would seem to prove it's not a misconception.
    So yes RPM is relevant to my reply

At low to mid RPM the electric is making 100% of it's torque, but torque drops off after that (which is the complete opposite of most IC engines) so that would account for it's impressive 400m time, but relatively low terminal speed. I suspect top end, the Tesla won't be anywhere near as impressive as it is from 0-100kph. That's why I suspect the supercar manufacturers who are getting into electric power, are still tending to stick with combined electric and IC engine power. Electric gives it the impressive launch, petrol power for the top end power/speed
    Last edited by VHSS; 19-11-15 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forg View Post
    And don't forget the technology involved is still pretty-much in it's infancy compared to internal-combustion powertrains.
    It's amazing that this is their Version 1.0. If more manufacturers jump on board, with the resulting R&D that everyone will do, in 5yrs time everyone will drive cars that can do 11s quarters

At the moment, it's like Mazda, which had to develop the rotary all by its lonesome.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    I don't think I've seen a 4 cylinder (or any IC engine including diesel) that makes 100% torque at 1 RPM....
    Well the graph suggests that the 4-Cylinder High Performance Engine was making 50% of it's torque at idle (~800rpm?) and the same torque at 8000rpm, which is what I was LOLing at... i've never driven a 4-banger that could do that...

rpm is relevant because I stated earlier that electric motors make 100% torque from standstill and was told it was a 'common misconception'
    well the evidence above would seem to prove it's not a misconception.
    So yes RPM is relevant to my reply
    I agree with that in context. But in regards to making a comparison of an ICE engined vehicle with a 6-speed transmission (for example) the rpm is not relevant, the road speed would be more relevant.

What's the rpm to road speed ratio with the Teslas?

At low to mid RPM the electric is making 100% of it's torque, but torque drops off after that (which is the complete opposite of most IC engines) so that would account for it's impressive 400m time, but relatively low terminal speed. I suspect top end, the Tesla won't be anywhere near as impressive as it is from 0-100kph. That's why I suspect the supercar manufacturers who are getting into electric power, are still tending to stick with combined electric and IC engine power. Electric gives it the impressive launch, petrol power for the top end power/speed
    So to make a real high-performance electric vehicle, why not add a transmission which allows the electric motor to remain in it's peak torque range (up to 6000rpm according to that graph) across a road speed up to say, 300km/h?

What is the current consumption of the motor vs rpm? Would there not also be some benefit of using gears to keep the motor at an efficient rpm?

I don't know, that's why i'm asking, just putting it out there...
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home