Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
    Wouldn't disconnecting the line going to the stock BOV be a good start? Probably then just an open air filter away from needing a penis haircut.

Question that doesn't deserve its own thread, mostly because actually buying another car is a very hypothetical situation at this point:

What is the deal with NCOP/emissions etc. etc. on old engines that predate stringent emission rules etc.?

EG. if I had a BBC from the late 60's, could I swap to aftermarket heads, bore it out one or two standard oversizes, bump compression, put a stupid cam in it add injection and not have to worry about engineering/emissions testing as long as I leave the standard charcoal canister in place? I'm guessing if there was a considerable capacity change (ie. stroking a 454 to 496) then thats a different story, but otherwise?
    >20% power or capacity increase require LA3 cert. The general rule is that the vehicle has to maintain compliance with the ADR's it was built to comply with (if any).

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    I don't have a clothes hanger in my Hilux for my Hi-vis vest. Should I fit one or is the wrinkled look in this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Uncle, you can get high-vis vests from the Big & Tall shop made out of that stuff which doesn't need ironing.
    Save yourself a heap of ironing time each Sunday night, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Streety View Post
    Where does my key go?
    Under which circumstances is it disappearing?
    Are you sitting down when it disappears, then it appears again when you stand?
    Have you tried turning it off and on?
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 29-07-15 at 12:33 PM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    How can I make nopics' car make pigeon noises with a stock BOV?

+

+

=

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by Shitbreak View Post
    Ok, uber noob question.
    Car Speaker is rated at 30W RMS (45W Peak). It will be crossed separately with a tweeter rated at 50W. Both 4Ohm (crossed in parallel). Will an amp with a 50W channel be ok to power both (so long as I don't ramp up the volume)?
    Ok, so a related question. From my understanding of the above scenario, each device will get half of the rated channel power (25W each) which is under driving the components somewhat. Is this going to be shit?

Would I be better off finding speakers that are rated more closer to the 25W power (assuming I don't want to replace the amp)?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    If your speakers are rated at 30W, putting 25W through them is about the best power-matching you'll get.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Shitbreak View Post
    Ok, so a related question. From my understanding of the above scenario, each device will get half of the rated channel power (25W each) which is under driving the components somewhat. Is this going to be shit?

Would I be better off finding speakers that are rated more closer to the 25W power (assuming I don't want to replace the amp)?
    No. having them in parallel presents the amp with a 2Ohm load, means it can push twice the current, meaning power output is doubled. each speaker still gets 50W (ideal, not accounting losses, amp can run 2Ohm load etc. etc.).

Anyway, it's kind of a useless point.

overpowering speakers is LESS likely to cause damage than underpowering them.

as the speaker moves it pumps air through the voice coil, meaning it's cooling itself. Extra power isn't so bad. (not saying you can't overpower a speaker)
    Now if underpowered, and you're pushing it hard to get the volume you want, you risk clipping, when clipping the amp is essentially a DC power source and the speaker isn't moving = no air flow = no cooling = cooks the voice coil = dead speaker.
    GT-P
    Bandsenkowagon

fwiw,

I've got 145WRMS amp channels powering my tweeters rated at 50W, 145WRMS powering some midranges rated at 60W, and 445WRMS powering midbass rated at 70W. cranks hard and no damage.

when playing music, the actual power over any period of time is pretty low (average). so the speakers can handle extra power happily - and love it cause there's plenty of power to move the cones accurately.

DC voltage (clipping) is high average power, and what will cook them.
    GT-P
    Bandsenkowagon

So, having trouble with 8 down. 'Late wisdom utilised by rifleman? (9)'. Ideas?

data_mine, thanks for that info mate. Helpful.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    What's important with amps & speakers is headroom. Headroom is where you have a big fuck off amp that's so powerful you never have to crank it past half way to get the volume you need. The less you crank it, the less distortion you get because amplifiers have an inherent distortion that increase with gain. The by keeping the gain low the less noise you get as well. Have you ever turned up a stereo to max but had nothing playing? The hiss, the noise. It's there even if no signal is running through the amp. Low gain, means low noise. Some distortion is good, it makes a system sound "warm" but too much distortion just sounds like, distortion. Same for the noise. By oversizing, but under-utilising your amplifier, you will have less distortion, less noise. Say for example a 1000W amp driving a 500W speaker it's good, just keep the gain down low. You get less noise & less distortion. /rdyno
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Ah gotcha. That goes against my initial (and obviously misguided) thinking. Cheers.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Another way to look at it... if you have a 500W amp and you crank it to 11 so it's putting out 500W, the output will be noisy and distorted, clipping like fuck. This will kill your 500W speaker in no time. You have a 1000W amp and your crank it to a 500W output, the signal will much much cleaner and with less distortion. So although both scenarios are 500W going into a 500W speaker, the end result is very different.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

data_mine is right about the voice coil results from clipping, but not why. DC through a coil turns the whole coil into a heater element. It isnt just because the voicecoil isnt moving.

It is also super easy to limit the power output from an amp to your speakers. Its called a multimeter. Use ohms law. set your headunit to the max voltage you use (may not be full max, often head units distort and clip before max), now set your meter to AC voltage, and without a speaker connected - up the gain on the amp to suit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2gl-fz2Qc
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled please View Post
    So, having trouble with 8 down. 'Late wisdom utilised by rifleman? (9)'. Ideas?
    Hindsight?

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Hindsight?

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Hi Pf Guru's.
    I was after some coolant for my 1948 HQ Falcon and the guy at Super-repco told me they only have Green or Red Coolant but my car is Blue.
    What should i do??
    Thanks in advance. Forg.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

You forgot to mention something about gerly trucks.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Oh fuck. I have much to learn about PF's king of Dad Jokes.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by pH@tTm@N View Post
    It is also super easy to limit the power output from an amp to your speakers. Its called a multimeter. Use ohms law. set your headunit to the max voltage you use (may not be full max, often head units distort and clip before max), now set your meter to AC voltage, and without a speaker connected - up the gain on the amp to suit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2gl-fz2Qc
    i should know this but...

internal DAC's in headunits

if you're using line out on a headunit, are you bypassing the internal amp, and if so, do you still get distortion/clipping when you have it cranked?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron, Brisbane City's friendly local drug dealer View Post
    i should know this but...

internal DAC's in headunits

if you're using line out on a headunit, are you bypassing the internal amp, and if so, do you still get distortion/clipping when you have it cranked?
    Yeah you can. There is still a 'line driver' circuit to feed the RCA out. It hopefully wont be anywhere as significant as the internal amp.
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Ok, again demonstrating my car audio noobness, but I was initially looking at installing a 4 channel amp to power my speaker setup. But would it be just as good if I were to get 2 x 2-channel amps. One for the rear and one for the front speakers (obviously)?

I'm thinking this will avoid me running new cables and allow me to use my existing speaker cable (and also make for a neater install) and just install thicker cabling for the final run from the two amps to their associated speakers.

I don't understand how that setup means less wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long story short, is $4800 excessive for supplying and replacing a broken 6spd auto box on a 2010 Holden Epica?
    I take photos of shiny things with wheels. www.rohanphillips.com

$4800 is an excessive price to pay for a complete Holden Epica
    If in doubt power out

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    $4800 is an excessive price to pay for a complete Holden Epica
    Zinggg!!

fkn lol

An fittings

Bottom of radiator for trasmission cooler lines

10mm - 11mm diameter

Would that be a size An -10?

NFI
    Last edited by GTREA; 15-09-15 at 05:13 PM.

yeah, that would be great Matty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
    No. having them in parallel presents the amp with a 2Ohm load, means it can push twice the current, meaning power output is doubled. each speaker still gets 50W (ideal, not accounting losses, amp can run 2Ohm load etc. etc.).

Anyway, it's kind of a useless point.

overpowering speakers is LESS likely to cause damage than underpowering them.

as the speaker moves it pumps air through the voice coil, meaning it's cooling itself. Extra power isn't so bad. (not saying you can't overpower a speaker)
    Now if underpowered, and you're pushing it hard to get the volume you want, you risk clipping, when clipping the amp is essentially a DC power source and the speaker isn't moving = no air flow = no cooling = cooks the voice coil = dead speaker.
    No, having a crossover means it's still a 4 ohm load. (assuming decent crossover design)

From a 50W amp you could be driving the speakers with 50W of bass only, which will all go to the woofer, or 50W of treble only which apart from making your ears bleed will all go through the tweeter. So both speakers should be comfortable with accepting 50W.

Don't disagree with the rest though, make sure it is a clean signal not a square wave.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ OíRourke
    Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when you're half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose and a teenage lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while you're going a hundred miles an hour down a suburban side street.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    How can I make nopics' car make pigeon noises with a stock BOV?
    Hahaha

Block off the BOV

I keep thinking about doing that to my nopics car

Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    An fittings

Bottom of radiator for trasmission cooler lines

10mm - 11mm diameter

Would that be a size An -10?

NFI
    The AN "dash" number is the number of 16ths of an inch the internal diameter is - so -4 is 1/4", -8 is 1/2", -12 is 3/4"... so ~10mm is -6
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."