Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Performance forums funding partnership.

Performance forums funding partnership.

Hi Guys.

As everyone knows this place isn't free to run. We have no advertising and we draw a large amount of traffic meaning we need a big server (currently in the order of 2 million page views a month). For the longest time this place was funded by a single person, after a while we moved to a user-donation model. Both have worked and have kept us online but neither model is perfect.

The problem being over many years we have developed into a good little community, and pretty much no one here wants big flashing "click here" banners and pop up windows, we all just want our old favourite site to look the same, work the same, and bigmuz to quit it with the lefty shit.

For this purpose the single person funding method works, even though there were no complaints from the funder it wasn't exactly fair.

The donation model works too, we need to do one about once a year and everyone digs deep. But it doesn't solve the day in day out problem of keeping a ready stable money flow. On top of this the mod team hates begging the users for money. We know everyone is super happy to do it, but no one wants to be that guy with his hand out. As such we tend to drag our feet and not do it until the last min when there's zero dollars left in the bank and it's all a big rush.

So that leaves us in a shitty situation, We don't wanna pay for it ourselves, and we don't wanna ask you to pay for it.

In steps Grant. A very good friend of mine is a member here, a guy called Grant, username on here is Grunt. We are good mates and we chat pretty much all day over skype/facebook about when hes going to stop being a tightarse and actually buy a real car and stop driving a lame corporate rental. If you're interested, he said he in November last year he would definitely buy a Lotus on March the 1st, “I’m a man of my word he said”. Its FUCKING August Grant! But never mind that.

He’s not super keen for his life story posted up here for everyone to know, but I can tell you that over the 10+ years I’ve know him he has developed himself from a shitkicker to someone people pay a lot of money just to sit down with. Anyway, I've discussed my frustration regarding this recurring issue with him a few times, and he put to me an idea to solve the issue once and for all. I put the idea for the mods, everyone was pretty much in the same mind being that we should give it a go. Except of course bigmuz, who thinks money should be banned and the whole country should work on barter.

Grant's business has a client called 321connect, that is very similar to those that exist on the market. They offer better rates on mortgages, insurance, car finance, investment loans, power, phone/internet... etc. They wanna have a thread here advertising their stuff. They have built PF branded page where people can go to and click on the things that they are interested in getting quotes for and we will get a commission

Grants logic is we are all at the age in our lives as part of our day to day lives we get finance, get insurance, power, etc. If we could would all go to the pf page when we needed new car insurance rather than go to iselect or aami.com.au or use PF to search for home loan on google to use our link it would more than pay for this place forever.

Yesterday I actually had to renew my contents insurance and my family's health insurance. I did so though the PF gateway site and actually got a better deal than I already had and I made PF some cash on the way through.

I brought this up in a phone call with Bill last week and he said "that's all great but there's only really 100 people who use this site". I was really surprised that he would think that as the numbers are far far greater. For the last month I've been running some numbers on this place. During that time we have had 58,000 individual people come to the site, those people have made around 2 million page views, of which 70% are return traffic (members who post, members who don't post, and non-member lurkers) the other 30% are first time blow ins from google or wherever. If there's a good bandwagon going those numbers will triple. This is why I have a bit of a chuckle whenever certain older members prattle on about how the place is somehow smaller than it used to be. Anyway, if say 2% of our regular traffic took up an offer once a year this place would be paid for 4-5 times over. Which would mean not only would we be self-sustaining, but we could put some money back into developing the site further.

The way the guys have setup the site is if you click on something you’re interested straight up it tells you how much PF is going to get from your business. So its all right there in black and white how much your business to 321connect is worth to PF. As for collection of the money, a member here who also happens to be a failed politician will be receiving the money directly from 321connect, and then PF will let them know how much they need to maintain the servers monthly and that failed politician will in turn donate that amount. Any remaining money is left in the account for the politician to use by PF for whatever else we want do. Weekly revenue reports will be posted in the mod section so everyone in there can see whats going on and ensure this failed politician doesn’t use our funds for helicopter rides.

As for these left over funds, we’ve got some good ideas we have been sitting on for years now we would like to try out, like full facebook integration, addition of articles free to members but with the author paid. All sorts of ideas really. Hell, we may even end up with a free member piss up at the GP or something. It all depends on how much we bring in. Once again this is all overseen by the mod team, and any decision will be taken with everyone knowing what is going on.

This will work If we all get behind it, If we don't then it won't. We're not asking you to jump on there right now and sign up to a new home loan. We're asking you to keep it in the back of your mind, and when you are shopping for the services we offer in your day to day lives, get a quote from our guys. If the quote is good, take it, if it's not good then don't.

As Bill said on my phone call to him, i'm not sure this idea will work, but i do know it won't work if we don't give it a go.

If you have any questions, please them up or contact one of the mod's directly.

Check it out... http://pf.321connect.com.au/

Edit - For those that want to contribute the old way, the account details are ...
    William Sherwood
    BSB 064489
    Acc 10046361

Paypal is billzilla-at-billzilla-dot-org

Amusing deposit details will be posted here.
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Meh
    We've been working on this in the background for a while, it'll really help us & you blokes a lot to keep the place running.
    The site is really easy to use and gives you the best deals & stuff, costs ya nothing to try so give it a go and it'll help us out. And you.
    The 321 Connect blokes are really committed to making it all work - so much so that they tipped in some money and the first month is all paid for. After this it's all just a bonus and win-win for you lot of motorsexuals.

Is there a TLDR version?
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

cliffs?

Yeah cool, sounds good to me. I buy things that he sells. I'll click on his stuff next time Im shopping.

I dunno if anyone had an issue with advertising per se.... more so people like the freedom this place has with calling a spade a spade. If some advertiser is a cunt, and we call them a cunt, its a conflict of interests and the mods may want to shut it down. That would be very un-PF.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 12-08-15 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    No the
    joke on you guys because your so fucking dumb.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Is there a TLDR version?
    yes

TLDR: dont be a shit cunt and read something for the first time in your life
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Is there a TLDR version?
    Go to the website, http://pf.321connect.com.au/, check out the deals and make one if you want. PF gets paid, we all win.

So they take fractions of the cents that are rounded off and deposit them into the PF account?
    Ya'll don't know what it's like. Being male, middle class and white.

Did you say 'super keen' twice?
    are you 15?

Otherwise poor rant 1/10.

srsly. If the great gods of the mod team feel this is the best way forward, who am I to argue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Nobody gives a fuck about that time John D. Rockerfeller flew over your house dropping silver dollars while you were washing your Walking Bird, or that time you walked to Lakeside with a Triumph tied to your fucking belt, you fucking hypertard.

Happy to answer any questions on it guys given I was the one that put it forward and worked with the mods to give this a trial.

Responses to the above.
    1. Nope - not push advertising Mr Ed - no banners etc. If the service doesnt work for you, then definitely speak up. No censorship here as per forever and forever.
    2. Speedyblue - click the link, it tells you exactly what they pay us for doing it. 100% of it gets paid to PF. Nothing more complex than that.
    3. tl;dr - no worries, those that do read it- if you are doing this stuff already and do it here, PF wins. It is that simple.

As for the rest of the questions - fire away.

On a side note I just did my electricty and gas on it so we got $25 in the till.

cheers
    grant
    Last edited by Grunt; 12-08-15 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

Yep all Office Space style!!

Yep thanks Grant for putting this together for us.

S

Brobdingnagian Member Mighty Mouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Yeah cool, sounds good to me. I buy things that he sells. I'll click on his stuff next time Im shopping.

I dunno if anyone had an issue with advertising per se.... more so people like the freedom this place has with calling a spade a spade. If some advertiser is a cunt, and we call them a cunt, its a conflict of interests and the mods may want to shut it down. That would be very un-PF.
    This, don't really care so long as we can still take the piss out of people that dig up old threads bagging out their companies and shit.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyblue View Post
    So they take fractions of the cents that are rounded off and deposit them into the PF account?
    Pmsl.

So what happens after I enter all my details? Are a bunch of cunts going to hassle the crap out of me to buy their shit?
    Step us through what the service actually does.

As a mod, may be seen as expected to toe the line - but really, it is a win win.

It doesnt impact on the site one bit, and people can legitimately save money.

Have a play and see for yourself.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

I have no issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrex View Post
    Pmsl.

So what happens after I enter all my details? Are a bunch of cunts going to hassle the crap out of me to buy their shit?
    Step us through what the service actually does.
    Sure thing.
    1. Enter the category you want to quote on/switch/need to buy
    2. You get an email immediately sent to you
    3. Generally within an hour you will be called from a broker for next steps.

Privacy Policy is really simple - details will only be shared with the broker connected to your request and listed on the site. This broker can only use it for the immediate purpose of providing detail on that request being a call back. I can 100% confirm there is no adding to recontact databases, general mailing lists etc. Process would not work if this was the case.

Worth noting they will announce partnerships with an AFL, NRL and other sporting clubs this week too.

Any other questions or feedback - especially post use of service would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    Last edited by Grunt; 12-08-15 at 05:38 PM.
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    I see i have to give lotsa personal info - am i going to get spammed the fuck out with "hot deals" and have Indian phone monkeys ringing me at all hours?

[edit] duh pays to refresh thread before posting... what he said ^^
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 12-08-15 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Might help to show I just did it - got this email after requesting specific call back time.
    Also for the above ^^^^ can confirm they are all locally based respondants.

Last edited by Grunt; 12-08-15 at 05:39 PM.

Meh
    Same here, I submitted a request for house insurance quotes.

What about us non Australians? Just donate once a year?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekJ View Post
    What about us non Australians? Just donate once a year?
    I believe the new policy is that you will be banned permanently.

Sorry bru
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    No the
    joke on you guys because your so fucking dumb.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Smoke em if you got em! LINCOLN's Avatar
    I am very close to joining a business who sell products that people on here could use.... I was going to contact seperately but this seems as good a time as any.

I was thinking of advertising along the lines of "pf deals discount" however the discount upon proof posting receipt would go to funding pf.... It is sort of a halfway house for paid traiders so you can still rubbish my products if required

The products are sexy automotive stuff with very keen pricing/low margins addressing the whole "cheaper online argument/gouging local business". I would think I could offer 2.5 to 5% of the sale to PF.
    Last edited by LINCOLN; 12-08-15 at 06:00 PM.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Just so I'm clear: PF gets paid when someone actually buys a service via 321connect, yes? Not just when someone visits that page?

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Worth noting they will announce partnerships with an AFL, NRL and other sporting clubs this week too.
    Will there be a PF box at the AFL GF?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Just so I'm clear: PF gets paid when someone actually buys a service via 321connect, yes? Not just when someone visits that page?
    Correct
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Happy to answer any questions on it guys given I was the one that put it forward and worked with the mods to give this a trial.
    How come you haven't bought a Lotus yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    How come you haven't bought a Lotus yet?
    An excellent question - something to do with me being shit if you ask Simon. Probably more that currently am caught btwn 2 cities and have a car in each without a good spot to hide it away, but more the first option and I'm really just making up excuses to keep rollin' rented.

where is the "buy cheap 1gz" option?

I for one welcome our new Isis overlords 3.....2......1.......
    DJ's don't need sigs

furious masturbater SausageFingers's Avatar
    If PF gets paid, and we get a good deal, sounds like a win-win to me.
    I attended the PF vs Powerchip thread 2010 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Came for the drinks, but stayed for the gangbang.