Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's happening already... 1954 Matchless G80

It's happening already... 1954 Matchless G80

So, like all good stories this one also starts with 'So, I was talking to Pop...'. Essentially, it was a nice day, and the family was having a get together at my grandparents house and I think to myself 'it's a lovely day for a ride, plus, Poppy would love it if I rode the Matchless over too!' and to be fair, it was a nice ride, despite loosing the battery clamp along the way and having to hold the battery in the frame with my knee, but they tell me that's the British 'character' I've heard so much about.

I get there, Poppy is happy to see the bike, frowns a little about the battery clamp, zip ties, fixed, still working! So I was talking to Pop, and he says 'Now Steven! I really need to talk to you about something...' and here's me thinking 'Ah shit, what haven't I done properly with the bike. Time for a lecture.'.

'I've found this bike, it's in Albury, and it seems pretty cheap, I reckon we can fix it up and make some money on it'

So we got a mate to check it out, seems decent, runs, is all there but needs a bit of work. In all honesty, the making money bit is probably a little dubious, but in reality I think it was little more than a thinly veiled disguise for 'I really want another bike project but I can't do it myself any more, and you like bikes so why not?'

And so I present to you the 1954 Matchless G80 in question! (apologies for shit pics, it was late, and dark and I didn't care at the time)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	674.8 KB 
ID:	86525

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Size:	619.6 KB 
ID:	86526

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	653.8 KB 
ID:	86527

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Size:	639.5 KB 
ID:	86528

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Size:	651.4 KB 
ID:	86529

Name:	photo 6.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	568.2 KB 
ID:	86530

Name:	photo 7.JPG 
Size:	632.1 KB 
ID:	86531

Name:	photo 8.JPG 
Size:	611.9 KB 
ID:	86532

So the things runs, but has a leaky head gasket, everything is there, almost no rust, tank is solid. We were initially planning to repaint, but I'm gonna hit it with some high pressure hose and some cut n polish and see how it moves up, I have a feeling that it might come up as a nice patina'd original job.

Came with a heap of good spares too, anything not used on this one will go with the other spare frame for a future custom bitsa build.

Either way, this thread should see more useful action than the other Matchless thread which is more a tale of me learning how to ride. Should be fun!
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Hory shet, you didn't buy that from an old bloke named Bob by any chance did you? My nopix's grandma's sister lives in Albury and her husband has a matchless (no shit) exactly like that!

I am a Spinal and Sports Physio based in Flemington, Melbourne. Insane discounts for PF members!

www.showgroundsphysio.com.au

I also retail do high-level professional road bike fitting and retail Speedplay pedals and SMP seats - cheapest you'll find them anywhere.

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Nice! Its a sickness

Look forward to seeing the progress!

Edit: the "making money" part is just an excuse they use to tell their wives that spending the money on bikes is ok because "its an investment not a hobby".
    Last edited by itsnotagsr; 15-09-15 at 09:54 PM.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

nice one

Quote Originally Posted by stockymcstock View Post
    Hory shet, you didn't buy that from an old bloke named Bob by any chance did you? My nopix's grandma's sister lives in Albury and her husband has a matchless (no shit) exactly like that!
    Nah his name was Paul, and he was very happily divorced, he proudly announced that when he was showing me his Moto Guzzi LeMans in the loungeroom! But he'd only had it maybe a year or so, didn't love it enough to do it properly and has a fetish for Guzzi's and BSA's. Before that it was in a small shed sitting dormant for about 40 years apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Nice! Its a sickness

Look forward to seeing the progress!

Edit: the "making money" part is just an excuse they use to tell their wives that spending the money on bikes is ok because "its an investment not a hobby".
    Ha! Yeah, I got that when I said 'the margin would probably be slim' and he said 'yeah, but it'll be fun, and you'll learn a bit!'

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    nice one
    Cheers!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    That’s fucking cool man.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

very nice

Cheers guys, I've started pulling down a few bits to scrub clean, looks like it might tidy up okay appearance wise.

Needs a new wiring loom, but there are companies who sell complete looms for about $100, so no biggie. Will also look at converting to 12v too, mostly because I already have a spare, new, 12v battery and it's probably cheaper to convert it than buy a 6v one! Probably a good opportunity to upgrade all the lights too. Plenty of stuff out there that will make them brighter and use less current.

Found another few bits it's missing, like front brake cable, few rubbers, all stuff that can be ebayed without any issues

It used to be red and was painted black a lloonngg time ago, all the paint chips reveal the red underneath and the rims still have red centres. I think I'll paint the rims black and just leave the rest. Haven't found any concerning rust either which is great.

Forks probably need a rebuild. They compressed on the trailer when I strapped it down, they haven't decompressed since taking it off the trailer!

Jampots seem fine, but they were apparently rebuilt at some point.

Clutch appears jammed, lever won't pull in, that will need a closer look.

Magneto isn't fitted and is dismantled in a box, so I guess I should suss out how magneto's work!

Happy days ahead! Will get some photo's tonight.

It's happening already... 1954 Matchless G80

Hit it with degreaser, gave it a scrub, should come up alright I reckon. Not flash, but a solid runner.

Man this thing has some levers! The handlebars have cables going everywhere! Clutch, throttle, advance/retard, choke, decompression & front brake. That's a lot of things to adjust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by farmsci; 18-09-15 at 11:14 PM.

those 'alttete' horns are worth money - but will be 6volts.

few schools of thought on 6v - adequate for last 50 years ad can probably find some higher watt bulbs- and its not like you going to be riding all night.

changing the tail/brake lights to LED save a few watts from your meagre generator output.helps

6v batteries are like $50 - 12v solid state regulators are $100- 125

http://dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php

when changing the gen to 12volts (think it may just be the regulator change)you dont get anymore output watts and with magneto there is no ignition to power

http://matchlessclueless.com/electri...2v-conversion/

re the magneto- a top notch working magneto is the key to no frustration operation and easy starting

they have condensors (capacitors)inside the windings -if its 50 years old they are usually stuffed. only cost a few $ but usually need magneto pulled apart

a rebuild and change of condenser by an expert usually the go.- but that will be $300.

symptoms of stuffed condensor is starts when cold - but not when hot

also remagnetising the magnets helps out put .

some new fangled condenser replacements out there that can go on the outside of the windings - but need the magneto pulled apart to remove the original condensor

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/

http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/easycap/index.htm
    Last edited by 9triton; 19-09-15 at 01:27 AM.

Awesome! Thanks for putting that all up, will be immensely helpful!

I guess I'll look into availability of 6v bulbs and battery first. Magneto is already in bits and needs a rebuild regardless.

So I started stripping down the metalwork and front end. All guards off, seat, tank, chain guard, primary cover etc. Will see how nicely they clean up to decide if we'll paint or not.

The forks need to be rebuilt so removed the front end ready to strip down the forms and rebuild the front wheel/brake.

One of the spokes is kinked which is a bit shit, was hoping not to have to delve too far into pulling stuff apart.

I get the impression this is going to be a lot more thorough than I first hoped.

Also found a broken thread on the forks, but it's only the guard stay so should be fine to just leave it.

And pics! It's much more compact now

I'll wait till the next time pop is over to start stripping down the forks, he'll enjoy that.

posted this before but will do it again
    for the chrome shit you should use oxalic acid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rkHvOEP3U

need to buy this as its oxalic acid crystals
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-2...eaner_p0960276
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Thats awesome, what a great project to do with your pop.

I can see a garage full of old English two wheeled oil leaks in your future
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
    posted this before but will do it again
    for the chrome shit you should use oxalic acid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rkHvOEP3U

need to buy this as its oxalic acid crystals
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-2...eaner_p0960276
    Legendary! Will be shooting down to bunnings tomorrow to get some, I'll put it to good use on this thing! Might be just the thing for the wheels actually.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Thats awesome, what a great project to do with your pop.

I can see a garage full of old English two wheeled oil leaks in your future
    Ha! It's already headed that way! Collecting bits for number three...

The disease seems to be cuntagious too… having the G9 sitting in my shop for a couple weeks has got me interested. But mostly impressed that the fucker leaks more oil than a chev! Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Should've seen the puddle it left when I got home after topping it up! I think the more oil it has the faster it leaks it, it was an impressive drop.

Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    Should've seen the puddle it left when I got home after topping it up! I think the more oil it has the faster it leaks it, it was an impressive drop.

thats just the pommy rust prevention method
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

If you could tell your Pop to keep an eye out for a basket case Norton Commando, that'd be ace! I want one as a divorce present to myself* and I too will be parking my bikes in the loungeroom.

*May end up just buying a Ducati Sport Classic instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    If you could tell your Pop to keep an eye out for a basket case Norton Commando, that'd be ace! I want one as a divorce present to myself* and I too will be parking my bikes in the loungeroom.

*May end up just buying a Ducati Sport Classic instead.
    Was on eBay and found this -
    http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/191717712570

Might be worth a look?

Small nugget of progress to report after getting some eBay bits delivered, namely a new chrome headlight surround. So I took it as an omen that the headlight and associated bits needed some love.

Here's what I started with:

Add 1 new chrome surround and a bit of elbow grease:

Which gets mounted in this sad looking thing:

So I stuck a buff pad on the dremel and gave it a good scrub, and didn't come up too bad:

Slap it all together and you get something that looks like this:

So seeing as I was in the mood to buff and polish things, I thought I'd have a squiz at the Altette horn and make it look pretty again, so pulled it apart and started cleaning it up.

The innards are looking a bit sad though. I'll grab a battery soon and test it to see if it's actually still working, otherwise I'll buy it some new bits to get it tip top once more! Good news is there's a place in the UK that sell spares and refurb them.

That's all for today!

national jampot rally

6/8 november in kelso

http://www.griffithcmcc.org/events/2...m%20Mk4%20.pdf

national jampot rally

6/8 november in kelso

http://www.griffithcmcc.org/events/2...m%20Mk4%20.pdf
    And yet again, work will prevent me going along...

I figure I'm long overdue for an update on this guy, I swear I haven't been doing nothing, but progress has slowed to glacial...

Ordered a bunch of bits for the forks as I figured I'll start at the front and work my way back.

The forks were a massive pain in the ass to dismantle. According to the factory manual both assembly and disassembly involve a blowtorch! I have to thank Mr Jones for his blowtorch assistance, and with enough bashing the shit out of it they eventually came apart in a mess of hot fork oil. Good times...

There was heaps of old gunk and grime inside the forks, and whilst the inner tubes have some scoring and corrosion, I don't think it's anything serious. That and you can't really just go and buy new ones!

I also learned that there were two different sizes for the inner tubes, which meant I ordered the wrong bushes. Go me!

So they are still disassembled on my bench while I source the correct ones.

I also bought a polishing and buffing kit. So I've been shining up some of the old dull chrome and alloy bits, which are coming up a treat.

I've now also got the collection of bits to send off the be sandblasted so I can start fresh with all the panel work. I had a go at paint stripper on a few bits, too bloody messy though, and most of it has been painted 3 times by the look of it, so it was taking too long, decided better to make it someone else's problem!

So it's looking pretty bare now. Once I get the guards, tank etc. in primer I'll get the motor and gearbox out to start sorting out the mechanicals.

Hunting Swamp Creatures. Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Loving this. Dad had one as a young bloke. Often talked about it and his Gold Star BSA.
    THANK YOU BIG cuddly MUZ for my PF Badges Of Honour. Love them! Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Xenophobe, Numpty, Moron, Muppet, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb", “climate "denier", “out of your fucking mind” and “batshit crazy”.

Walt’s signature well before Steve Bannons March 2018 speech.

MUCH APPRECIATED Muz. Thanks man.

Want to know about Media Ownership concentration?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRmqRZpCqzg

They're supposed to be a fun bike to ride, a bit lighter than the G9, and as good as the twin sounds I love the noise of big singles.

G80 projects do come up reasonably often at reasonable prices, you just need to make sure it isn't missing the hard to find bits!

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Good progress. Just make sure its ready to ride for the Easter long weekend at Bathurst with the Vintage Motor Cycle Club!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

nice one - can imagine forkes are fun when have been together for 1000 years

take a photo of the bits you send off for blasting - so if any go missing ...

fork stanchions can be rechromed - 'hard chrome plating' few places in aust that do it .

but if have surface defects then may be able to source pattern from the UK .

(and just hope they aren't indian manufactured with liquorice steel and cosmetic bath tap chroming)

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Good progress. Just make sure its ready to ride for the Easter long weekend at Bathurst with the Vintage Motor Cycle Club!
    Something to aim for... In saying that I doubt I'll be able to get away from family for the first Easter with forthcoming spawn!

nice one - can imagine forkes are fun when have been together for 1000 years

take a photo of the bits you send off for blasting - so if any go missing ...

fork stanchions can be rechromed - 'hard chrome plating' few places in aust that do it .

but if have surface defects then may be able to source pattern from the UK .

(and just hope they aren't indian manufactured with liquorice steel and cosmetic bath tap chroming)
    Yeah the forks didn't want to come apart easy, and when you see the surface at the triple tree end you can see why. There are some surface defects, but none are within the swept area of the seal and bush, which is the important part.

With defects there, I doubt they would be suitable for hard chroming anyway. Ideally new parts would be great, but even if they did exist, they would be awfully expensive, and the labour in producing new items would be crippling cost wise, certainly so for a project we intend to sell at the other end. Might fire off a few emails and see what I get back though.