Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's happening already... 1954 Matchless G80

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    Something to aim for... In saying that I doubt I'll be able to get away from family for the first Easter with forthcoming spawn!
    Shame, would be great to get more younger (ie less than 60) to the event. Over 100 riders and ~2-300 bikes.

Went for a ride on the weekend with the club and went to visit an 80+ year old guy with over 50 vintage Indian bikes from 20s-50s. Probably $1m+ in bikes in his shed!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Got myself back in the garage this afternoon for some more polishing of bits n pieces, getting through the chrome and alloy bits pretty quick and some good results too.

Gave the original smiths speedo a clean up, polished the chrome rim, cleaned the glass and face, looks great for a gauge that is every bit of 60 years old.

Then I thought I'd give this guy a whirl on the drill press.

Friggin ripper! Makes a hell of a mess but ripped paint off pretty rapidly! At $20 a pop I reckon I'll save plenty by not sending small items to be sandblasted. I'll probably only send the tank and guards off to get blasted now.

Tried cleaning up the chain guard, but it's junk I've decided, bubbles in the chrome, rough edges and frankly I'd prefer it in black anyway, repro chain guards are all of about $120. So not worth salvaging I don't think.

And that concludes today's adventures, good to be making progress though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Shame, would be great to get more younger (ie less than 60) to the event. Over 100 riders and ~2-300 bikes.

Went for a ride on the weekend with the club and went to visit an 80+ year old guy with over 50 vintage Indian bikes from 20s-50s. Probably $1m+ in bikes in his shed!
    I'll eventually start getting along to a few rallies, I reckon when this one is done pop will want me to drag it out to the Orange rally, and I'd love to do that with him.

There are some incredible collections about! I know we have a few big dollar collections down this way too
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...

Ordered some more parts for the bike...

... Not holding my breath, fuck Australia Post

You 'gon take that deeuck fat910's Avatar
    Rolling the dice buying parts from deeragun, Pretty sure thats where Bodgy's family lives.
    They say i know fuck nothing, but i know fuck all!

Parts are gunna be wore out before you get em
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Lol, lucky they're already 60 years old, not sure how much more worn out they can get

Hoorah! Pack of parts from QLD did eventually find their way to Canberra! A heap of bolts, studs, nuts etc. should come in pretty handy as I now ought to have replacements for all the fucked threads on various bolts and studs.

Dude I bought them off also said he had a pair of jampots for an extra $40, so I thought shit yeah, chuck em in!

Only they aren't jampots at all, just some other random rusty old bike shocks, damn gumtree scum!

Bit more paint stripping done, almost finished ripping paint off all the fiddle front end bits, much more work than I thought it would be!

A hell of a lot messier too, I see a sandblasting cabinet in my future, cos fuck cleaning this shit!

And to finish off a sweet garage shot demonstrating just how broken I have become!

damn you im now hunting for 58ish triumph t110. love you collection of jampots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I like cars. Cars are cool.

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    damn you im now hunting for 58ish triumph t110. love you collection of jampots.

This place needs more imperial filth

New part arrival day!

So those crusty old fork tubes are going in the bin where they belong (just kidding, we all know they will be hoarded away with all the other crap).

Stumbled across Thuys Engineering in Adelaide who just so happen to make replacement innards for Matchless/AJS forks, and all for only $220 which seems to me like a bargain!

Look to be well made too, can't wait to loosely reassemble forks tonight, should give me some encouragement to make more progress on this thing.

I'll probably end up buying a couple of sets to hoard for future use if they go together well!

New for old comparison shows just how scungy the old parts were!

Everything seems to be going together ok!

Dummy assembly is a winner!

So all the bits to be painted will get a quick finish with a sandblaster and then really to paint/powdercoat!

Nice! Interested to see if you notice a difference
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

Theoretically should be different to the G9, the twins had beefier forks with a larger diameter tube and different 'valving'. In saying that the forks on the G9 are in need of a rebuild anyways, the left seal has been leaking for a while. After I successfully build these I'll tear down the G9 forks, clean and replace washers and seals and they should be much better again.

Either way, these should be a big step up being mostly new bits and lots of gunk cleaned out.

Good stuff! Need to rebuild my BM ones too.

(TM - AVENGE)

Thread dig time! Hey Steve, how are you going on that resto? Have you even done anything you slackarse?

A: Yes! Engine is with a bloke in Sydney getting a full rebuild, it supposedly only needed a new head gasket, on close inspection the inlet and exhaust valves were in the wrong way round, the head looked like it was resurfaced with an angle grinder (hence leaky head gasket) and apparently many oil seals weren't properly seated. So probably wouldn't have lasted too long as it was! Should have it back in a few weeks.

Meanwhile I figured I'd undertake the simple task of rebuilding the carb. It was caked up with crap and looked every bit of 60 years old.

BIG thanks goes to Ben at VapourBLAST in Brisbane (uuheels)! Very well priced, super fast turnaround, and it looks mint! Couldn't be happier!

Now I just have to wait an eon to get new parts for it from Amal in the Uk so I can clean it up and put it back together. Once the engine comes back will rig it up to bench test it and tune it well enough to kick over when it goes back in the frame.

Feels good to make some progress!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by farmsci; 08-11-17 at 01:32 PM.

Nice! You're starting to become a real bike club enthusiast given how shiny everything is

(TM - AVENGE)

This one was always gonna end up this way, as it was it couldn't pull off the patina look because the dodgy paint job was hiding a different colour dodgy paint job underneath. As soon as it's getting fresh paint the patina on everything else looks out of place, so stuff it, proper resto it is...

As I said, in hindsight it's been good, because the rebuild efforts of the bloke we bought it from were very sub standard as it turns out and it's for the best we didn't trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    This one was always gonna end up this way, as it was it couldn't pull off the patina look because the dodgy paint job was hiding a different colour dodgy paint job underneath. As soon as it's getting fresh paint the patina on everything else looks out of place, so stuff it, proper resto it is...

As I said, in hindsight it's been good, because the rebuild efforts of the bloke we bought it from were very sub standard as it turns out and it's for the best we didn't trust them.
    Yeah my Dad's been caught out a few times with "restored" bikes. As he has the time, he pulls them down now and ensures its been done right.

(TM - AVENGE)