Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving along nothing to see here

Also if your deck heights were the same in all four corners congrats, you have a good machinist lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    I think being boosted you'll have to try pretty hard to fuck it up. More volume is more air in and the pressure should fill the gaps. Once you efi I think it will be even less critical, or will that be another manifold swap?
    Yep i fucked it up and got oil twice LOL. Mind you i could wreck an anvil somedays.

I have the other manifold which is drilled injector holes for efi.
    Been contemplating with the efi version something that can do a type of traction control

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    Also if your deck heights were the same in all four corners congrats, you have a good machinist lol
    They are fairly well known in the speedway circles over here.
    I did only measure with ruler and feeler gauges i know not overly accurate but used what i had
    Could of made up bridge to hold indicator but cbf and could not do a hell of a lot with it anyway.

Got most of this done now i have run out of cartridge rolls so still want to do the floor a little bit more.
    I for one cant port for shit.
    When i look at TKs stuff i am like WOW with an even higher appreciation.

Showing the entries

I took your advice greenhj thanks

Last but not least showing my hero holes. Just going to epoxy these holes up with a bit of alloy formed to the shape of surface and good amount of epoxy stuff holding small piece of alloy on.
    I know should be welding these but meh.
    From racing dirt bikes as long as you can get the surfaces nice and clean and a bit of a key ie sanding area they have been a decent repair from the rest of the ownership of that bike.

Nice work on the engine assembly. Look forward to seeing some numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of bits of alloy glued in

Getting closer and starting to look half ok

Still want to do a more epoxy to even up the outlets from me touching burr shank on the on the runner.
    Then need to work out how much to machine off the top.
    But I think it should pass a pressurised fart somewhat better then when I started I'm hoping.

Quit working start playing!?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hjtonner View Post
    Quit working start playing!?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    Meh nopics wants holidays so instructed to be working on pajero... If it rains anymore we will be forced to have a holiday at home...

In the middle of modifications to bandsaw in preparation for pipe work and sump mods also. Hopefully make a start this weekend on chopping up a sump.

ill send one down for mods too?!

Did some stuff.

Cut some stuff.

Checked some stuff.

Did some CAD.

Went to Bunnings.

Made oil pickup adaptor in the lathe.

Oil pick up sorted.
    Last edited by Morcs; 19-03-17 at 11:01 PM.

Well since its xmas etc and had a few days off i thought it was time to yank motor and trans from the EH over the break but before that i had to move the ute and to move the ute i had to fix the ute
    My tax return was decent this year and was able to stretch what savings i had for it as well and afford a hoist and pneumatic jacking beam.

Since bike project is pretty much sorted other then the rider...
    I had been also been doing little shit along the way as seen in previous pic bike parts on the bench.

Fist was make a bracket up for the wiring for the O2 sensor as had previously cable tied to the hand brake cable kind of difficult without hoist still not fun as only have pure argon gas atm so had to tig weld it in.

Whilst i was under there i thought give it a service popped the air cleaner and stuck my phone in the intake of turbo.

Fucking gross it had been smoking a bit after hit
    Air cleaner was dirty but not real bad and checked for leaks in the inlet all good.
    I wiped it and found it was oil so sprayed with some brake cleaner

A while ago i made a little tank so the turbo drain can drop into have a little time to settle before being pumped back. After it went up on the hoist i found that as i had used a dash 6 line for the return I thought it may have been squashed as i had just jammed it in between the chassis and body and cable tied in various placed to stop it becoming dislodged. One section it looked a little suss so decided that a 10mm steel tube would be a better option. Look neater and probably be lighter and just overall betterer.

So during this nopics came out to give me a hand to help mark, bend and weld the steel line.
    After we tacked up the tricky bits nopics goes and drops the oil for me and asked is the oil supposed to be green.
    So came over and finished pulling the drain plug and got about a half to a cup of coolant out of the oil.
    Fucking great.
    This motor is near on fucked but had a spare set of intake manifold gaskets on the shelf so not going to be out of pocket any as kind halted on the 355 for the moment.
    Finished sorting everything underneath and got stuck in pulling the manifold.

Fair guess as to where it was leaking don't think it sealed properly if memory serves correct i had an issue with it last time on that side.
    Missing bit was in the valley when it came apart and not on the other half of the gasket.
    Sweet hoping it wasn't lifting a head and obvious indication like that seems plausible.
    If head will be yanking this motor too dang nabbit.

So cleaned everything up went to the shops to buy some shit for my bike and have some lunch.
    Put some aviation cement around the water galleries.

Couple of spots of super glue to hold the intake gaskets and cork gaskets in place carefully put intake on clean bolts lube with antisieze nip up with small driver on low setting torque up in appropriate sequence with torque wrench.
    Nearly on the last bolt will not torque to spec fucking carnt...

So off it comes again...

I usually ditch the valley gaskets and run silicone across front and back as well as around all the ports. Sometimes the gasket won't allow the intake to sit all the way down and Holdens need all the help they can get sealing the intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Taking Jonescunt advice yet again the manifold came off. In doing so ended up destroyed the gaskets yay more money on the crappy motor
    Had seen a set at supershit so wandered firstly to the bakery for IC sausage roll and smoko later (nopics had to work) so breakfast of champions thinking sweet get this done and should be able to stay home and get shit done.
    Nope bumped into 3 different people on the way out of the bakery and was well after smoko before i got away. Couldnt use the gotta go excuse as in board shorts tea shirt and thongs and said got a few days off...earlier in conversation.
    Ahwell you win some yah lose some. Gotta go back to work for one day this week then on call for new years. So trying to get shitboxes moved around asap.
    Got the gaskets and found they had the degreaser special thingy was on so 2 cartons of that and some more brake cleaner.

Got it siliconed up new gaskets fitted before final vacuum fill with oil and fit intake manifold.

All nipped up ok on the driver went to torque them and one cunting fucking bolt would not torque to spec again one of the centre ones this time. These heads are early castings and original threads are pretty much fecked and slowly getting heli coils all the way through the intake side of things.
    So i just found a longer bolt and very gingerly nipped it up and got it to somewhere close to the figure and moved on.

Took a while to get to this as rocker covers have been leaking so made a dolly that i could put in the vice to help shape in the right direction without causing undue hammer dents.
    Which then the bandsaw blade takes a dump and some how damages nearly half the teeth on the blade carnt.
    Chucked the ol 3/4 worn out blade that likes to make arc cuts in to finish the job.Then shitty cut so into the mill to clean it up and flycut the anvil side of part then weld it up and stone it off so nice and smooth and clean up the mill and surrounding area from the chips it makes fly from fly cutting.
    I wanted this done but even still gotta be done proper
    Threw the rest of the fiddly stuff on and started making a new coil mounting bracket that changes how it sits and may change to a smaller coil ie injected hv8 hec 718 or some such hopefully find one tomorrow to continue on the weekend come to think of it i probably have one burried in my injected hv8 pile of shit if all else fails

Fuck, your thread title did it's job. Haven't seen this 'til now, awesome ute man.

Quote Originally Posted by 308hjute View Post
    Fuck, your thread title did it's job. Haven't seen this 'til now, awesome ute man.
    Hehe

Just another clean ol H series ute is the impression I wanted with it and have modern performance characteristics without being too rowdy when cruising or bike carting duties arise.

Cheers thanks.

Can you still get the proper bosch hec coils or only the aftermarket copies?
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Can you still get the proper bosch hec coils or only the aftermarket copies?
    I guess so skippers said they could get a Bosch one in for Tuesday or a Holden supplied one for ~$75

Ripcunt had a fuel miser brand one for $25 went with that for now so will make a bracket and run that if it fails then I will order a Bosch one.

Think they're female like small cap dissy...thought mine had coil issues etc untill later worked out car came with 55a alternator that struggled.

Never got proper answer off AV8 if there is better hei/coil street cars that isn't meant for crane or msd cdi they all seem to favour.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Think they're female like small cap dissy...thought mine had coil issues etc untill later worked out car came with 55a alternator that struggled.

Never got proper answer off AV8 if there is better hei/coil street cars that isn't meant for crane or msd cdi they all seem to favour.
    Nope male type coil and small cap dissy on injected.

Alternator is 120amp commodore ambo version which i dare say will belt slip bad at anywhere near 2/3 rated on the A series belt setup.

IMO find a coil that was used by a oem manufacturer.

My next option was ea-el ford are male as well.

When i was playing with rs lib turbo motor (EJ20 scoob) the EA falcon were the hop up coil as the oem stuff was a lot more expensive when they went bad. And would fix the coil issue they could get and a slightly better spark which i believe was contributed to heat and vibration. The falcon coil relocated them away from the heat and vibration.

The earlier electronic ignition stuff (carb)was the female on pretty much the same coil.

Most of em are much of a muchness when you start looking into the nitty gritty of them IE number of turns voltages and joules etc.
    The promaster Mallory coil on it had slightly more turns (higher voltage) and said racing use only and said to be used 4k rpm and up.
    This things kills plugs really fast for some reason tried ngk motocraft denso champion etc resistor and normal plugs bosch leads champion leads big gun leads ,plugs etc and will do max of around 5k kms and have a plug go out

Meant common non-efi xd rotor with small cap conversion...now got modified 140a ls alternator as couldn't get bolt in bosch vs 120a anymore only vn-vs 85a...wasn't keen on those aftermarket 1 wire alternators although AV8 peeps gave them the thumbs up.

Never had plug issues but if it went below 11-12 volts it ignition would shut down first.

Read that most aftermarket coils tend to overheat although 5k from a set of plugs seems shit.

This nugget took me longer then i expected but progress none the less.

Take piece of scrap and clean up to rough sizing

Drill and chamfer some holes

Test fit and workout what needs to be adjusted.

Machine a pin that will utilize the cutout for the oem coil bracket and place the the throttle return spring hole position.

Place pin at correct height made this a light press fit so it could be adjusted with small taps with my hammer.

Welded it enough to make sure weld is proud of surrounding material.
    Took 2 passes as first pas bumped it up to make it penetrate as much as possible and caused a little undercut.

Then back in the mill for some more facing off to make level with home made fly cutter need to actually finish it and design a better balanced version.

Not perfect but i think will do the job perfectly.

As per the pin on the other side.
    ]

Give it a Blast with glass bead

Give it a round through the electroplating gear and vol-are
    Dont have any yellow for the cadmium look but think it should be ok.

Only had bunnings spec bolts have ordered some socket cap screws should of tapped the bracket to eliminate the nuts meh.

Tidied it up somewhat

Have to still make a connector for the coil as dont like the look of the spade terminals but work fine still.

Also ghetto coolant filter as wanted to reuse but not the crap in it.

I think it worked pretty well changed it probably 5 times in the ~15 litres.

Looks neater with smaller coil..pity them leads aren't long enough to go around rear of rocker covers.

Looks neater with smaller coil..pity them leads aren't long enough to go around rear of rocker covers.
    Custom leads would near on double the worth of this motor lol.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Jeez we go about our bracket making a little differently
    Nice build btw, have been following.

Quote Originally Posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
    Jeez we go about our bracket making a little differently
    Nice build btw, have been following.
    Used to be CAD Battery drill angle grinder and hammer as per most of us playing at home.
    Then started watching click spring and others on jewtube then shit escalated lol.
    So now like to pretend I could of been a machinist lol.

Cheers thanks

Hmm wonder if these would work issue being can't transfer onto the other heads.
    FIL recons I should be dropping a 308 in the EH in which it would be benificial.
    I'm not convinced that I want to undertake as the lure of triple carbs and an angry ol red 6 has a certain appeal to it.

https://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/...r-clip-k/H1005

As much as I loved the triple webbered 202 bushpig in the lc gtr...late night drives hearing it sing at high revs was awsome...quick little thing.

Still ended up going efi 5l route as knew deep down can't beat v8 rumble & it made more power reliably,the extra torque made it drivable down low compared to 202

With leads never get them looking spot unless buy custom kit & either make them yourself...could use 8 of the longer leads to make it neater,they only go over rocker covers at rear.
    Last edited by gtrboyy; 05-01-18 at 10:31 AM.

This shit box runs again.

So straight to the car wash gave it a tub and then got some fresh 98 and went down town for lunch with the nopics.
    Left the cunt a decent way from cafe. Not overly comfortable when left in plain site but its summer and it was mid 30's here today and it can be a bit cantankerous at times as it will boil the fuel out of the carb pretty quickly if left sitting for any length of time. So had lunch and wandering back and noticed an older couple milling around it. The ol duck without skipping a beat says " get away from my ute it is to nice for the likes of you" so just held the keys out and said see if you can start it. Then had a 20min conversation about it with them.

So did the usual to Bunnings visit with a ute and then i had to pick up my workute and nopics had to drive it home. She even got stuck in the road works it behaved itself admirably other then the no AC or sound system.
    Felt a bit dead from its usual and had a bit of a flat spot on the transition from mixture screws to the main jet.
    So checked the timing yep had 10deg initial and was set to 7 deg advance so total of 17deg advance then -1 deg /psi boost. So at 15psi had 2deg in it no wonder it was a bit sluggish.

So as per any ol head 308 total should be around the 28-32degrees so bumped it back up to 20 initial and 8 deg ramping from 1500rpm to 3500rpm. That helped the idle transition along with resetting the mixture screws.
    Didnt want to do any power runs as 30 plus degrees really is not great without inter cooler. So started work on the EH.

Got to sort the fake air cleaner hold down system as modified the carb vent tubes a while ago and changed the stud size

skid vids not loading?

PS Do i spy my marks in the back ground

In readiness for next addition to make more power on this clapped out shit heap i decided i needed to cut some steel.

Then clean it up some to get an idea of what i was playing with face off and center drill to support the weight.

To start to move the bulk of the material just used a parting tool then grabbed a piece of 1inch of scrap and traced out the size and copied it onto a 5/8 (16mm) square hss.

Plenty of lube at a slow speed fairly high tool pressure to try and minimize chatter and just formed the channel to be the radius in depth.
    [/url]
    [/url]

And failed i started cutting and forming the channel before i got the tubing and what i made the form tool was 1 inch and not 25mm.

So ended up making a inner ring so is easier to scribe on to the hss form tool.

So carve out the bulk with the parting tool then finish with the form tool

Some what better

Can see chatter marks i was turning this as slow as my lathe will go which is 35rpms and trying to use fairly decent tool pressure to reduce along with semi regular re honing the bit i also used on the second hss tool a t15 grade blank rather then the regular m2.

Some chips for dinner was only about 2/3 of them from just the one groove.

Touched up with a little emery and knocked the sharp edges off with the file.

no idea what you're making - but good action pics

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    no idea what you're making
    Makes 2 of us

Would like one of these ...
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MK3-Manu...97.m4902.l9144