Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The poor life choices datsun 1600. My drag car saga.

Very good results from its first outing tonight now to turn her up

Apart from not being able to get it out of the hole faster than granny driving her camry away from the lights the car went well. 4th pass 8.95 @ 152.

First pass was abit hairy, the chute didnt deploy and get tangled in the bars, you run out of road down the deep end very fast at 150 mph.

Had a few issues, setup problems etc that weve been ironing out. Im also starting on a iron block for this thing.

Last time i went to sydney we ran a 8.71@160 and a few mid 6 passes at Gunnedah. Im planning on racing the T&T in sydney on the 29th, see if i can get that 160mph to reflect in the ET correctly.

Current car weight is just over 2600 lb.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Wow! Can't believe I missed this. Nice work sticking with it.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Went to the track championships on saturday, same tune as the 8.71 pass, a more aggressive 2 step setup, some chassis changes, and some new tyres.

Bitch is fast. Like properly fast. 8.67@157, 8.55@159, 8.55@159. I got knocked out first round on a -0.013 red light, but you get that on the big jobs!

Australias fastest SBE LS, and we still have no power in it. I am going to modified live on sat night to race in the Grudge Kings shootout, Im making a small bar adjustment(preload), and more power. See where we end up!

Well to say this escalated is a bit of an understatement! Crazy...in a good way
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Its a borgy S475. Our green vn racecar has a s480 on it and runs 8.60's on a stock L98. So thats the aim, ill be forging this motor straight up. Aim is 600-700 at the wheels. One turbo should be sufficient amd simple to setup. Just going to have to make some headers, exhaust can go up and out the bonnet again.
    Any more details on this?

I bet you miss the SR

Awesome results, well done!
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    8.5 over the 1/8th mile is awesome in a 1600....wait what!
    Solid effort!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Any more details on this?

I bet you miss the SR

Awesome results, well done!
    This is 2SKID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMC_DVOHPg

Do not miss the SR at all, i dont have to worry about it on the start line, i know it will leave, i dont have to wait forever for boost to come up on the step, it just works.

The italics mean I was being sarcastic.

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

I know mate, but it is the best thing i ever did. The stock motor will go back in the VH soon, I have a LSX, and a callies crank on its way for my car.

What box is in the commodore? (Hard to hear it on that vid). Any under bonnet pics?

It was a stock planetry powerglide, which has since given up on life. Just waiting for the owner to gain some enthusiasm and buy a gearset lol. Ill see what I can find.

8.47@160, not much seemed to change, still picks and carries the front left, but doesnt try to drive me into the wall anymore. Which is pretty mint.

One of the photos from cackling pipes from last sat night. Was good fun and the car is behaving itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	100071

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Great shot!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Went out to the test and tune, all 3 passes were 8.43@161.

Car is trying to drive to the right again, so need to invest some time there, but we will work it out.

Looked good yesterday, really smooth

Thanks Chuck,

We went out to Grudge kings yesterday to try to jump out of the 8.43 rut we got stuck in last time. We made 6 passes, with the best ET being a 8.301, and best MPH was a high 163. We suspected we had hurt it after the 4th pass, cleaned it up, and figured if it was hurt we should turn it up more. The next pass was waaaay too hot on the start line and we lit it up out of the hole, a quick pedal and it still went over 160 mph.

We spent a lot of time trying to get it to drive straight, with adjustments being made in the back after each pass, and it slowly improved. We added rear steer, adjusted spring preload, and wheelie bar heights to get it to a point where on the last pass of the day it was almost dead straight. The car had some work done after last outing with the anti roll and did what we could to scale the car (thanks to Slides).

The motor that is in it will come out now, inspected, freshened and will go into the VH. I am working on the LSX, but have some bills to pay first, so I don't expect to run again this year. I also want to convert to external oil pump, and mechanical fuel pump while I am going. If anyone sees a intake manifold that takes 16 injectors that isn't $4500 let me know.

I am also really considering going over to DBW for the LSX, just to make life a little easier and use some functions out of the elite.

Mark Wilkinson Video from the day: