Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The poor life choices datsun 1600. My drag car saga.

The big shots from Tamworth Drag Club show & shine

be interesting how bouncy the readings are from the o2 sensor. mine were all over the shop with open headers and i had almost 2 foot of 3" pipe after it
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Will be interesting, its only part of the data we need. I think we will have better ability with the 4x egt sensors

That's stunning, well done.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Stunning car btw!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Probably wont be able to see it on my facebook.

This is now running after a horrendous amount of bad luck. We are slowly sneaking up on power in it, it makes boost early - in the early 4000's. I have been working on trying to get the cam transition smooth in 4D, but i cant seem to get rid of the "stutter" at the changeover point. The lower i bring them in the cleaner it moves through that point. ie 3000, is better than 4500.

A few things i need to look at - its spewing diff oil out the breather, which is really really high. The car has floaters so the oil level is higher than normal, and im thinking i may have to goto a thinner oil perhaps?

I can burn methanol like a champ. Car seems to be getting cooler the more we run it, and the harder we run it. I dont have alot of boost in it at the moment(10 psi @ 5000), and no revs, but its making ok power for what its doing.

Bass is away for a week or so on a holiday so we will get stuck into it again when he gets back.

In the mean time i can tidy some stuff up, and try to work out whats going on with this diff.

More updates fuck ya

Well its been a while, and the bad luck didnt go away at all.
    Cliffs: we had trigger issues, wouldnt make power, boost spikes etc. Wastegate broke off manifold from a force I didnt consider when it was made. Fixed all that up.
    - Cam timing was way out on intake cam.
    - Went 582 hp ATW, injectors are now 100% (2200cc @ 70 psi base), we have wound it back, its happy at 500hp.
    - Fuel pump I had in it was far too small, now has a Prostar in it.
    - Gearbag broke the case - no warranty due to chassis dyno use.
    - Spent more than the gearbox was worth doing upgrades to it, and it went back in last night.
    - Had to fix the carrier studs in diff was a PITA.
    - Moved the breather to a location that isnt anywhere near the spinny bits, hopefully this resolves the breather issue.
    - Bent a wheelie bar getting it off the trailer, going to shorten them down.

I need to just check function of box and diff, make sure yoke doesnt bottom and make a tailshaft shield and 4 link loops. Other than that it should be good to go.

I want to do the test and tune on the 25th. I have the next 4 days off work, so should be able to get it all sorted.

Speaking of updates Jesse, wheres your new street car thread lol.

Also looking for someone to remake a set of runners with twin injector holes and a rail if anyone knows anyone. I can probably hunt up a complete lower runner to send.

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Also looking for someone to remake a set of runners with twin injector holes and a rail if anyone knows anyone. I can probably hunt up a complete lower runner to send.
    16ve n1 has twin top mount injectors stock from memory. Might be an option
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

I cant seem to find much on it, only looked quickly though.

I cant seem to find much on it, only looked quickly though.
    Ok time for a memory refresh. It definitely runs 8 injector bosses, they did it for better fuel atomization at high rpm on the 16ve n1 engine. So you will need the sr16ve lower intake manifold, the gasket between the runners (upper and lower) uses the same gasket number so you should be ok to bolt you current stuff on. (flicking a few pages back pics show you are running sr20ve lowers with excessive chamber). The N1 runners are a little longer from memory and has injector bosses both sides of the runner.

http://gspec.com/p-5007-vvl-n1-manifold.aspx

Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Ahhhhh i saw the one with runners top and bottom. I dont have room to go under due to thats where I have the vvl solenoids.

Got the box back in, everything plumbed back up.

Did some transbrake testing last night, it wont bump for some reason, need to look at that today - i can hear the solenoid pulsing under the car when i hit the button.

at the moment its got the no boost tune in, makes 7psi @ 3700 on the brake, i need more power there or antilag turned on to get it up higher, I was anticipating leaving at around 5000rpm. Will have a play today.

Have you considered the Reid Supercase? Very nice piece, the VPW rep that frequents the forums can get a pretty good price on them too.

Its got a sfi spec case on it, not the reid one though. Its one of the other 2 brands that makes them. Found a big hole in ignition map where im trying to get it onto 2 step. Playing now

11psi at 5000, within 2.5 seconds of full throttle. Good starting point i think

Heading down to the test and tune tomorrow, if anyones around down there. 2 things i havent got to work properly yet are the driveshaft speed sensor and the transbrake creep/bump function. Fuck knows whats going on there, but i dont need it for tomorrow anyway.

How did you go?

It was a interesting/frustrating day.

10.7 @ 130 off the trailer, 10.1 @ 132 with backing the boost out, no transbrake.

14.x with the aux rev limter staying on, Dale messeged me and gave me a solution to that.

Took more boost out, went 10.7 @ 130 with a big fuel surge, and a broken spark plug by the looks of it. I had all of the transbrake stuff in the haltech configured incorrectly. So we will make some changes, and go out again in a fortnight.

May need to rig up a surge tank, i have some room and a spare pump.

It was a interesting/frustrating day.

10.7 @ 130 off the trailer, 10.1 @ 132 with backing the boost out, no transbrake.

14.x with the aux rev limter staying on, Dale messeged me and gave me a solution to that.

Took more boost out, went 10.7 @ 130 with a big fuel surge, and a broken spark plug by the looks of it. I had all of the transbrake stuff in the haltech configured incorrectly. So we will make some changes, and go out again in a fortnight.

May need to rig up a surge tank, i have some room and a spare pump.
    Good start for the first test and tune. 130+ mph and knocking on 9's door on low boost not running the transbrake while sorting out teathing issues is nothing to sneeze at. Take your time and slowly dial it in. Half the fun is the improvement at each event.

Man nice work, certainly not a bad starting point, mph vs times are not bad either for off the brake.
    meh

A couple from last weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13533012_1206177242768176_303941899144505164_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	93357

Name:	13502151_10209553110807288_4300568359147021100_n.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	93358

Name:	13510878_10153689357878342_8687299360098313787_n.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	93359

Name:	13494923_10153689357873342_5602431353834140430_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	93360

Today I made a bigger feed line to the pump in a better location - was -8 now -12 and at the back of the tank instead of the front. Setup launch control, some engine protection, put new plugs in, upped the 2 step to 6200 from 5000. I havent started on putting more boost in yet, but will down at the track. Took a little fuel out of cold start, as it was a dog the other morning when it was 5 degrees.

Hopefully it gets out of the hole better on the weekend.

Looks like we fixed the fuel pressure issue, but looks like we still have something going on. I changed the plugs over to NGKR, but didnt gap them down to what the iridiums were - i believe the below is a misfire situation on AFR plot. Top is from 3 weeks ago, bottom from last weekend. The spark has been a issue in the past, im going to haltech on thursday on my way home and getting 4x mercury coils and do it once and for all.

Name:	13652775_10154118571370210_2085557184_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	93816

Injector duty is way up there - 97-98% on 16 psi, so the double injector mod is going to happen too. The racepak dash is also dropping out under load situations (maybe vibration??) ive checked the wiring and cant fault it, either something happening in the can hub under vibration or in the dash. THe EGT's dont appear to drop out like the dash does.

Are you sure its not am amps issue if its happening under load. Could explain the ignition.

buy a ground kit and gain 150hp

Nah I dont suspect it, battery was fully charged before both passes. Car is on 16volts, and runs a XS XP1000, should well and truly have enough capacity. If its not enough amps im not too sure on how to fix it. Plenty of bigger cars using the same stuff I am - Volt meter is all ok during a pass though. I am not logging battery volts however.

This is neat as. My iq3 dash is shit. It drops in and out due to flex / vibration or a combo. Is it mounted too hard against whatever it's mounted on?
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    This is neat as. My iq3 dash is shit. It drops in and out due to flex / vibration or a combo. Is it mounted too hard against whatever it's mounted on?
    Yeah its on a aluminium dash. Have been in and out away for work etc. But we have also converted the inlet manifold to 8 injectors, 4 coils are mounted and just need wiring up. Need to put it all back together, and go over the car, found some stuff loose that shouldnt have been lol.

Aiming for tamworth to make sure its fixed, then grudge kings.

The 8 injector mod certainly fixed the fuel delivery. We are still having spark issue, with the CDI in test mode the spark is terrible. Dale offered to help test it all, so a roadtrip to sydney yesterday ended up with Haltech having my entire ignition system to carry out testing on. So car is parked until i get some feedback from that.