Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Focus RS

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    As a comparable, my Evo is ~1250-1270. Thats 2L turbo AWD like this Focus.

I think being 300kg heavier, whilst having things like brembos, bigger wheels/tyres, decent interior, sound deadening, actual crash protection, airbags, etc is actually ok.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    They're also big cars. Wider than most big sedans and as long as an E46 sedan

Last edited by tremolo; 21-10-15 at 02:50 PM.

To put it in perspective, my Merc wagon weighs about the same. It's a tubby little fucker for sure.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    As a comparable, my Evo is ~1250-1270. Thats 2L turbo AWD like this Focus.

I think being 300kg heavier, whilst having things like brembos, bigger wheels/tyres, decent interior, sound deadening, actual crash protection, airbags, etc is actually ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    To put it in perspective, my Merc wagon weighs about the same. It's a tubby little fucker for sure.

How old are these cars though? An XE Falcon or VL Commodore weigh 1200-odd kilos. Relevance to a current model Falcon or Commodore is basically zero.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Golf R is directly relevant (also awd) and nearly 200kg lighter. It's not a show stopper but look at how hard Lexus has copped it for the rcf which is a similar order heavier than the m3/c63

Normally I like my cars lightweight, but 257kW sort of makes that irrelevant doesn't it?

1400kg would be nicer, but hardly likely to make much of a difference 0-80ish along Old Cleveland Road, which will be its natural habitat.

Surely crash standards have a big bearing on weight these days ?

Also +1 would bang

Registered User Dr Felix Wankel's Avatar
    This car will kill the STI market!

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorz de Puniet View Post
    How old are these cars though? An XE Falcon or VL Commodore weigh 1200-odd kilos. Relevance to a current model Falcon or Commodore is basically zero.

Relevance is that its also 2L AWD like the RS.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    Anything under 1,200 KG is called an MX5
    208 GTI 1160, Fiesta ST 1197, Mini Cooper S 1160kg

^^ all GWD

I guess 4C and exige. But they're pretty extreme.
    Last edited by MZ21; 21-10-15 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post

Relevance is that its also 2L AWD like the RS.
    Isn't the Evo X 1600kg though?
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Focus is a bigger car than the VL ... not that it's super relevant, Magna Guy could bend a VL with the power of his mind.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Forg View Post
    Focus is a bigger car than the VL ... not that it's super relevant, Magna Guy could bend a VL with the power of his mind.
    So from that, you could perhaps theorise that cars have gotten bigger, safer and heavier over time... which might just have been my point.

I have been looking at new STis but have been waiting for this.

I wonder if you actually need to preorder one or if I would have a chance of getting one after a test drive on release.

Would probably go blue > white > grey.

Either way I will get one at some point.

I think Subaru need to raise their game now and put the 2 litre direct injection Jap motor into the STi.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaku8 View Post
    I have been looking at new STis but have been waiting for this.

I wonder if you actually need to preorder one or if I would have a chance of getting one after a test drive on release.

Would probably go blue > white > grey.

Either way I will get one at some point.

I think Subaru need to raise their game now and put the 2 litre direct injection Jap motor into the STi.
    I think Subaru were just being cautious with the sti. Next iteration will definitely have the new donk. I'd still get the Focus though.

Isn't the Evo X 1600kg though?
    X GSR was 1530kg for the manual, 1550kg for the SST.

I think it's the hatchback stigma that makes the RS seem heavy for what it is, when it's about right compared to its competition. But I couldn't care less what they weigh, it's the 1600kg bit that shouldn't be... arrrrrghhhh can't think of a better word.... trending... among cars of that type. They should make the 11ty airbag units and sound deadening and fancy dashboards lighter.

Has left the building theblacktexta's Avatar
    Have been keeping a keen eye on these. As soon as a light blue demo pops up I'm going to be all over it assuming they've got the chassis right. With the form these guys have been in of late I reckon it will be a weapon of a drivers car. The little Fiesta still brings a grin to my face every time I drive it.

I've never been a Ford fan as such, but they seem to be making some good products at the moment..

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I've never been a Ford fan as such, but they seem to be making some good products at the moment..
    Only been destroying the competition for atleast a decade now...

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    Priced well, but if i was looking at this, I'd be hard pressed to go past the Mustang with the same engine for slightly less.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theblacktexta View Post
    Have been keeping a keen eye on these. As soon as a light blue demo pops up I'm going to be all over it assuming they've got the chassis right. With the form these guys have been in of late I reckon it will be a weapon of a drivers car. The little Fiesta still brings a grin to my face every time I drive it.
    Agree

They do steering better than anyone I reckon. Honestly, I reckon my XR5 is a more tactile thing than a brand new Golf R (which I test drove but left me cold)

If they keep the tactility and add the extra performance, it will be unbeatable

So whats the go with these do you all reckon?

Do we need to order now or wait till they arrive and take a look in person and test drive?

Worst case, in for 12 month old RS for $45k I guess...
    Last edited by Evaku8; 21-10-15 at 07:43 PM.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzahut with anchovies View Post
    Only been destroying the competition for atleast a decade now...
    Ford Europe product designed in Germany; indeed. Notsomuch the abandoned Falcon/Territory.
    But it hasn't translated into sales.
    Mondeo has out-everything'd Camry since re-released here ... 8-ish years ago? Well, out-everything'd in all except sales numbers.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

same weight as RS3
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Agree

They do steering better than anyone I reckon. Honestly, I reckon my XR5 is a more tactile thing than a brand new Golf R (which I test drove but left me cold)

Yea they're surprisingly good.. each time I drive my nopics one I'm always impressed by it's ability to belt through round-abouts!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Yes. I was surprised as well. But remember that the 135i is the blobby hatchbacky slightly syndromic one:

If you want the 235i which is exactly the same but actually looks good, it costs $15k more for some reason.
    The F22 has subtle improvements, I'd say it's just better almost like a revision disregarding the aesthetics. Also increasingly refined - not so crash and bang during boring speed.
    15-20k better? not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Agree

This gen Focus went electric though. The only complaint about it seems to be more than natural resistance off centre.

Quote Originally Posted by E30is View Post
    same weight as RS3
    Still fat/overweight.

What are modern 2.0L turbo 4s like to drive these days? Does the torque off idle drop to the shit house when you toggle on the A/C?
    I guess the good thing about Haldex is you're not driving another 2 wheels fulltime unless you launch it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    White w/ black wheels ftw
    This all the way.

My only gripe with this RS would be that it doesn't get the 5 pot motor like the old one so I can imagine myself in a modern day Group B S1 Audi quattro sliding about with 5 cylinder warble at full noise.

Does beg the question though, this or a new Mustang?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

If old Mustangs are any guide new Mustangs will be more common than arseholes on human beings.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

I would have ordered a Mustang if I didn't make the mistake of getting an early 86. Now I spend my commute avoiding eye contact with the other 30 86 drivers I see on the way to work everyday.