Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kwaka KZ750E - Long Term Cafe Project

Had a couple of things turn up during the week.
    First was a pair of LED flashers to replace the corroded originals that were still on the loom. Second was a new horn rated @ 112db - the stock one was pissy and weak and made it sound like you just cut off a faggot scooter rider.

Also used the warm weather yesterday to do some more painting, so I got stuck into the swingarm. Finished the can of etch primer on it, and went to go get more from Supercheap but they were all out. Centre stand will need to wait until next weekend then.

Once the swingarm had dried overnight, I bolted it back onto the frame this afternoon. Starting to look like a bike again!

So now that it's all coming back together, I'm pretty much ready to start putting the loom back on the frame. Though I'm waiting for a metric fucktonne of conduit to turn up from China before I do this so I can hide it all and make it look a little neater.

I think I've decided on a headlight too, so I'll order this one this week. Should look the part I rekon..

Hopefully my engine gasket set turns up this week too - it took a couple of days for it to get from California to Melbourne, but typical Australia post are holding the cunt up.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

looking good.

do you mean LED flasher can when you say 'flasher relays' ?

may know allready -but need specific LED flasher can when changing from bulbs to LEDs for indicators

That frame looks like it needs some quality time with an angle grinder.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    looking good.

do you mean LED flasher can when you say 'flasher relays' ?

may know allready -but need specific LED flasher can when changing from bulbs to LEDs for indicators
    To-may-toe/To-mah-toe.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    That frame looks like it needs some quality time with an angle grinder.
    I'm trying to hold off on doing such naughty things to this one because of how hard they are to find.
    I'll see how it goes stock with the seat and such that I have in mind and then work out what to do from there.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    To-may-toe/To-mah-toe.
    gotcha!

Headlight and fork-mount brackets turned up about a week ago now.

Over the weekend I had the chance to get a bit done - finally put the gasket kit through the motor, and I think it's safe to say that the KMs on the odometer are true - 24,xxx is about the impression I get from the head:

Also replaced about half a dozen bolts that I had to forcibly remove over the course of the build so far, then when I got home I decided I was going to get started stripping down the forks as I had ordered some new seals from the local Kawasaki stealership on Monday - they're due in Wednesday.
    So I got the forks off and pulled them down, then decided to clean up the wheels too, removing the discs in the process.
    Let's just say I need to replace every one of the bolts for the discs now too. Fucking rusted cunts.

So once the fork seals are in I'll get it all back together and pop the motor back in the frame.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

No real progress on this the last couple of weeks - work has been stupid so haven't had the chance to pick up the fork seals and circlips that I ordered from the Kawasaki stealer.

I did however finally pull my finger out, and went and passed my Ps test yesterday, so that puts me 12 months away from being able to actually ride this now. Ideally, I'd like to have it ready to rego by the end of winter, and even then I'll probably take it out for a sneaky ride every now and again until I move onto P2 where I can then legally ride it.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Been a while since I touched this..

Bought some new bolts for the discs from the local Kawasaki dealer the other week. Fucking things ought to be made out of gold for what I paid.. $80-odd for 21 bolts.
    Reason for this was I had rounded a couple of the hex heads trying to get the bastards off, so it was probably a sign they needed to be replaced anyway.

Bought some carb clamps, and now I need to sort out some new boots. Will need some from a GSX750F I think, being that the carbs are off that. The standard KZ750E ones are too short and the throttle hits the rocker cover.

Bought a headlight for it when Third Gear had a sale on. Suits it well I rekon.

Once I get the motor back in, I met a fellow from Burnie at this year's DGR who is keen to chop it for me, so I'm keen to get it to that stage.

Also now need to try and bolt as many bits back on as I can being that I'm moving next month.

Anyway, this is how she sits as of tonight..

1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Regarding painting the engine question from the previous page, I painted an engine in VHT cast silver ( repco stock it) about 3 years ago and it still looks good. It wont be as resistant as factory or powder but for $50 it was worth the effort with engine out.

This thing took a back seat for a bit while buying/moving/settling in to the new house.
    Got some time today though, and went out for a play.

Finally got the carbs mounted to the motor. Motor now ready to slot back into the frame.

Also finished replacing the disc bolts. Only had to drill out one more to get them all out.

So motor will go back in when I get some muscle to come give me a hand, then from there I'll start buying and attaching shit that was missing. First thing that comes to mind is the coil leads, so they could be on the shopping list after the new year.
    Throttle, speedo and tacho cables also some of the more major items. Once I've got those, I'll look at an ignition switch and then hopefully be able to kick her in the guts for the first time.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

one trick is to lay the motor on its side - and then thread the frame over it . put in engine bolts and then lift upright.

You 'gon take that deeuck fat910's Avatar
    Ditto what 9triton said, ive had to do it before with some behemoth motors and once they're in you just roll the frame over and start adding suspension. Good shit though, keep plucking away at it.
    They say i know fuck nothing, but i know fuck all!

I've got the wheels on already though, so I think the way I'm gunna do it is to put it on the centre stand, sit the motor on a milk crate, then get a mate to help me lift it to within the frame so it sits on a jack, then I can manoeuvre it around as required using the jack, as well as adjust height.

Been looking at some speedos and tachos on fleaBay the last couple of nights.. can't seem to find anything I like that isn't stupidly overpriced.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

So I pretty well haven't touched this since my last update. A fair bit going on that has stopped me from spending the time on it.

Had some mates come round to feed me beers and motivate me though, so now we have the motor back in the frame, which is a huge motivator now being able to see it looking a lot more complete.

Tax time just around the corner though, so I've already planned out the spending of the resulting return..

1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

This is looking good. I'm following along on this one. Got a cafe project underway myself.

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    Excellent.. making good progress.

I personally love modern LED headlights on old bikes..

www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    1991 CBR250RR - for the fun