Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kwaka KZ750E - Long Term Cafe Project

great progress

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    which is what i said in my first post .

..edit ..
    Sorry. Got as far as it looks dodgy and my brain exploded. Been arguing with rivet counters on one-model forums lately, and it's driving me insane. I'm going back to Butcheredclassics.com.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Thanks for the very in-depth discussion regarding the ID plate, fellas. It was riveting and I learned a lot.

Did a bit of spannering in the garage this arvo and got the frame, swingarm and centre stand ready for the powdercoaters.

When I was taking the swingarm off, I got a good look of the rear wheel up close. Turns out these are made by Enkei. JDM as fuck, bro

And I've now got the Koni/Ikon shocks sitting off to the side ready to be rebuilt down the track too.
    Have fired off an email to Ikon to see about getting these sorted out.

2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Carbs arrived today.

Picked them up from the PO this arvo and brought them home, where I promptly dumped them on the kitchen bench.
    Now waiting to see how long it take for the wife (no pics) to lose her shit about bike parts in the kitchen.

They look pretty good for $100. I was easily expecting worse. Though the cunt that sent them put them in one of those flimsy thin post bags and wrapped them in that foam shit you see in the photo, so there are a few bits that look slightly bent, but nothing major.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Aaaaand they're wrong
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Wrong spacing?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Wrong spacing?
    Yep. Way off

are you checking with the inlet rubbers in place ?

the zephyr 750 inlet rubbers are off set/eccentric so the carbs are narrower than the inlet ports .

random instagram pic : cant imbed
    the rubbers are set up wrongly here - the carbs ARE narrower than the inlet ports just checked my bike)

https://www.instagram.com/p/0Xw_rsK2...32386583369225
    Last edited by 9triton; 05-12-15 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    Nice. I wish they'd bring back the retro-look bikes. My SRV250 was one of them and is what made me fall in love with the older naked bikes.
    I agree.

Am in the market for another bike now that my SR has been sold. Was keen on a Ducati Scrambler but instead am seriously considering a CB1100 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    are you checking with the inlet rubbers in place ?

the zephyr 750 inlet rubbers are off set/eccentric so the carbs are narrower than the inlet ports .

random instagram pic : cant imbed
    the rubbers are set up wrongly here - the carbs ARE narrower than the inlet ports just checked my bike)

https://www.instagram.com/p/0Xw_rsK2...32386583369225
    Yep. Tried with them on and off.

i gots no answer then ...

post a pic

Pretty sure your going to need a set of plastic top GPZ 750/KZ750 carbs. Mine was the later shaft drive, same engine as GPZ, your head looks the same.

Last edited by Jay_G; 05-12-15 at 05:35 PM.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_G View Post
    Pretty sure your going to need a set of plastic top GPZ 750/KZ750 carbs. Mine was the later shaft drive, same engine as GPZ, your head looks the same.

Yep. Finding them is the hard part though.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

I'll ask a mate up here for you. He had heaps of old Kawa shit.

I'll ask a mate up here for you. He had heaps of old Kawa shit.
    Cheers mate.

Checked out a wrecker on my way home from work today and had no luck
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

If you really struggle I have had luck with findapart.com.au before with bike stuff. Usually get a reply within a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by GTAM View Post
    If you really struggle I have had luck with findapart.com.au before with bike stuff. Usually get a reply within a day or two.
    Bloke at the wrecker today suggested this too. I've used it a couple of times before without any luck at all though.

May as well give it a go - can't hurt.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

I got rims the same or similar to those for a budget sumo project. Came up alright after a blast.

Well I tracked these down via FindAPart today. $140 to my door.

They're off a '78 GS750 and have the same spacing (confirmed with the wrecker) as the ones the bike came with.

These will be a stop-gap measure just to get the bike running, then I might spend some good coin on getting a real nice set.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Ultrasonic cleaner will bring them up pretty nice.

Ultrasonic cleaner will bring them up pretty nice.
    Yep, will give them a good once over
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

They're also not actually a solid rivet like was used pre-poprivets, but a hammer drive rivet:
    These are reasonably easy to buy still. We get stainless steel ones at work from United Fastners for attaching name plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_G View Post

Just realised - these look the same as the GSX750 suzuki carbs - BS32 or BS34 Mikunis. Same spacing too.

The GS750 carbs should be a ~28mm carb from memory?

The Googles says they're a VM26SS
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

BS34 Mikunis.
    For some reason this sounds incredibly familiar.
    yep

Got a chance to spend some time on the wiring loom today. Started on the main loom and replaced all the spade and bullet connectors throughout, though left everything that's behind the headlight until I decide on what headlight I want so that I can do it right the first time based on space allowances.
    Moved on to the smaller sections such as the handlebar switch block looms, and came accross the above for the throttle switch block loom. Some cunt had chopped all of the wires in the same place, then (poorly) soldered them all back together and taped it all up. I fixed all this up by crimping it all back together (because my soldering would be just as bad), and taped it all back up again for a neater finish.

Also ordered a bunch of LEDs for idiot lights and speedo/tacho backlights, quick connector plugs, a new horn, and LED flasher & hazard relays.

Probably won't get much done on this now until the new year as I'm getting my 86 registered in Tassie finally (after sitting since August, out of rego) and I need to pull my finger out and get by bike Ps before my Ls expire in Feb.
    Last edited by Cock Fist; 13-12-15 at 06:49 PM.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

GS 750 carbs turned up today, and thank the fucking heavens, they're spot on!

So now that I have that base covered, the next thing on my shopping list is a gasket kit for the motor.
    While I'm on the motor, I wouldn't mind tarting it up a bit with a fresh coat of paint. Has anyone got any tips for painting a motor? I've never done one before, let alone one with all those tricky fins and shit.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Borrowed a mate's dremel the other day to get the fucking cunt of a rounded bolt out of the side casing, so now can start properly disassembling the motor (once the gasket kit turns up).

Also bought a few cosmetic bits and pieces in the interim. Some LEDs for the idiot lights, and a new plug for the ignitor which has a shattered one from disconnecting the old one.
    And also bought these on a whim from some legends down near Hobart. A mob called Antisocial Engineering. Cunts have the best jobs in the world, mucking around on bikes all day.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/anntisocial...6385732777329/
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Had the opportunity to spend some time on this again today when the wife got called into work, so I thought I'd get out there and get some stuff done, knowing I won't get interrupted.

Had a new quick-connector plug show up for the ignitor a week or two ago, so I replaced both sides on the loom and the ignitor.

Also went up to Supercheap and got some supplies to give the frame a much needed coat of paint.
    Went with satin black, and I think it turned out pretty good. The frame had stone chip damage in it in some places, and I wasn't bothered by it so haven't repaired it. It looks good unless you've got your face pressed up against it in the bad areas though.
    I'll let the pics do the talking though. Just gotta wait on it to dry and I'll give it another rub back with some 800 and hit it with some clear next weekend.

1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Decided that glass fuses were shit and needed replacing with blades, so I bought this fucker to do replace the factory fuse box.
    Gave myself an early mark from work today to come home and wire it up. Now just waiting on some LED flasher relays and that's all of the main electrical bits done.

Next step will be to decide on a headlight, then start working on the dog's breakfast that lives behind it.
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E