Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: long term econ tests: aftermarket coils and other stuff

He's currently at 0.5L per 100kms claimed though isn't it he? Can't argue with those "facts".

Another tank of fuel without hooning. Now down to 10.8L\100Ks
    "Let's not jump to conclusions" - Mike - MST3K

Lol. But you weren't hooning the last time. So why did it get better? Does the magic take some time to run in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Lol. But you weren't hooning the last time. So why did it get better? Does the magic take some time to run in?
    Q1. Good question. Simple. One can't have perfectly consistent drives each day.
    There are variables to consider, thus why I do long term testing to create a more accurate average.
    Many of the variables already shared and discussed in this thread.
    EG: For the small amount of same roads I drive on every day, the simple act of overtaking everyday will reduce the econ on a tank by 0.1.
    Thus econ increases when I don't overtake.

Q2. Increased HP from higher voltage coils, thus better econ when you drive in your usual manner, isn't magic, though it seems some folks in this thread think better economy by changing elements of your car is magic or bs.
    Not my concern regarding other's unfavourable opinions of the subject matter.
    "Let's not jump to conclusions" - Mike - MST3K

Quote Originally Posted by Jay17 View Post
    stuff
    So you've confirmed my point. You can't possibly control your conditions. "Overtaking reduces econ (sic)". How is overtaking different from regular acceleration? How do you control your acceleration to be exactly the same each time. How do you control the traffic lights times where you are sitting idling? How do you control people on the road? How do you control any variable?

Put the car on a dyno with before and after tests. Same dyno, same temperatures, same conditions.

You keep saying you're "getting more HP" because it's more efficient. That's not how efficiency works exactly (it's partly true) but if so, your dyno test will prove it.

Why don't the big car makers do the same thing for these increases? You're claiming 0.5l / 100km improvement or about 5% just by some simple coil changes.
    Last edited by Shonky; 02-04-19 at 08:54 AM.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    I like the intake restriction mods which increase fuel economy.

Decreasing the air filter and intake restrictions for anything other than WOT means you just increase the primary restriction on the engine to stop it running away, it's called the throttle.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"