Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: Eds Lotus 116 GT3

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    *chemical engineer hat on*

ed is right, the rest of you are wrong. justen the issue you had with it not working as well with a bigger pump would have been caused by something else, maybe cavitation or something. but the rules around heat transfer make it very clear that the faster your working fluids get through a heat exchanger the better it works to exchange said heat

*chemical engineer hat off*

carry on :P
    Yeah cool, get that, still open to learning how shit should work and does work
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

had enough with head in a book, so left the nopics with the latest episode of Outlander, and went to the shed at like 10pm... great idea. got home at 4am, but managed to strike a bunch of stuff off the list

first up, the heartache that is the brake reservoir and fittings finally had an ending. found a guy wrecking a LHD on gumtree, and although cost more than it shoudve (LHD tax) finally got the required bits to put things together. i modified the way some things run in order to neaten it all up a little. also repurposed some unused coolant hose for the clutch reservoir line. its EPDM so should be brake fluid resistant. hope so!

then moved back along the chassis, and got the fuel tank shear panel and the rear control arm mounts /gearbox torque mounts in properly. done

pulled the slave cyl off in mild paranoia that id buggered the backing plate/seal, confirmed everything is where its supposed to be and slides freely, then in a delirious haze of '2:30am i should probably go home now' with the back of the car jacked up to get to the shear panel, i looked at the gearbox and was like... well why not. so dragged the gearbox in under the chassis on the jack. offloaded it, dropped the chassis, and then manually heaved the box into position. slipped the jack back in for fine positioning, slipped the bolts in. voila! gearbox is kindve in. went home in a delirious haze of satisfaction

and digging this up from somewhere in this thread... gearbox specs

Z22YH Zafira B 2.2L 6 Speed Gearbox
    close(est) ratio box i could find. 3.83 diff

gear:
    1. 3,818
    2. 2,158
    3. 1,475
    4. 1,067
    5. 0,875
    6. 0,744
    R. 3,545

final diff ratio:
    Last edited by doctor ed; 15-10-17 at 09:25 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Good stuff
    " Money is for those without skills"

before i lose the pic again...

this is the style of rear wing im planning. dual element upper deck (perhaps with active flap chord) and single element lower deck to drive the diffuser. my diffuser should end up much steeper than this, although not as wide nor long

alternative incarnation making the lower chord smaller between the mounts. will make the whole thing perhaps a little less bulky and offensive on the eyes (still with the dual element upper deck though):

Last edited by doctor ed; 15-10-17 at 09:12 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

So TTV came through with flywheel version 2. need to go double check the dimensions, but it's looking good

Revised friction surface, revised spigot bush, revised weight...

Comes in at 5.4kg (2kg reduction over v1)

B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Where's the GT3 body at?

I'm hanging to see it man.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

LOL, haven't paid for it. Just blew €2k doing major service and repairs to the cayenne, plus there's been some other expenses creep up lately. So body is in the queue of things to do when play cash isn't tight

So compare v1 against v2

2kg lighter, 5mm smaller friction surface ID (168mm vs 163mm), maybe 0.2mm thicker from crank mounting face to friction surface. 13mm mounting flange thickness (for M10x1.25 fasteners) and obviously the bronze spigot bush rather than the bearing. Everything else the same, so everything should like up nice

Obvious difference is the 2kg of extra scollaping out of the back of the thing. V2 actually feels 'right' in the hand. V1 feels like a fucking nugget!

Last edited by doctor ed; 16-10-17 at 11:24 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Dominik from Kopp Racing (same bloke doing the A20NFT ecu software etc) stepped in and took some alloy welding off my hands. mostly because i cant weld alloy for shit. Intercooler core now finished. pressure tested it to 3bar as well... all good!

Mit freundlichen Grüße

slight side-project, but i find the idea pretty cool... Data-logging with an Arduino.

Im not sure how i got sidetracked down this avenue, but ultimately stumbled up the video below, and convinced me i should try something similar. The idea of being able to log suspension movement along with tyre temp in real time is pretty amazing. not that ive done it often, but the times i have ive always found temp gunning the tyres with a clipboard messy and stressful. as a single person 'team', jumping out of the car in the pits and, half rooted and sweaty, trying to quickly do meaningful measurments of things is a bit of a joke. same with gokarting. and particularly with Karting im pretty skeptical that after rolling the whole way back through the pits area that any meaningly temp info is left in the tyres.

So... I know absolutley fcuking nothing about digital circuits, nor programming. I find the idea of the arduino interesting, and theres certainly some cool projects being run with the things. so, enthusiatically i dived in and did some reading.

yeah, nah... learning C++ from scratch for this as a one-off is a bit of a joke. SO... i headed over to Fiverr and spammed a bunch of ardunio programmers with my idea. lots of bites, and slowly honed in on 2 People who coild do it, understood the idea, and reckon they could sucesfully implement it. ended up booking a chick from Pakistan to do the coding/proofing etc for $150. current materials estimate is also ~ $150 so looking at a $300 total project cost. cut-and-paste from another thread below...

Basic layout as follows

Temp sensors:
    - 3x 35deg FOV IR temp sensors for each wheel (MLX90614ESF-ACC) running on the i2c bus
    - left and right wheels grouped into a bundle of 6 sensors managed by a local i2c multiplexer
    - one multiplexer front and rear to give a total of 2 groups of 6 sensors (12 i2c IR sensors in total)

Suspension position sensors:
    - 4x Analogue Bosch 0280122001 3 -Pin TPS sensors. Basically a 2kohm variable pot giving 0-5V output over 90deg sweep

Accelerometer/Gyro:
    - again on the i2c, digital MEMS/Gyro from https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11977

GPS
    - haven't settled in this yet, but fairly standard 10Hz GPS

The i2c bus and the ADC channels can be logged at 100Hz, the GPS also logged at 100Hz but data only gets updated at 10Hz.

Possible issue is going to be running cable for the i2c temp sensors. As they're likely going to be 2m from the arduino, there's potential for signal loss, cross talk etc etc. need to get some good shielded twist Strand cable, and then there's weird sh*t about adding caps, different pull-up resistors, playing with baud rate and god know what that I don't understand. Plus... does having a multiplexer half way along the line essentially act as a relay post and reconditions the signal? Cuts the the wire distance effectively in half, so I assume there's less likelihood of signal issues?

Def worth having a crack though!

Last edited by doctor ed; 21-10-17 at 04:01 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

You're not a fan of the KISS principle are you?
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

what is going to control your active aero?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

„winter is coming“

A little benchtop project will be fun!

I thought I was doing relatively well keeping the lotus ‚simple‘ so far. Lots to do, but I think I’ve held back from being overly complicated

Active aero... also something to keep in mind. I want to get this Arduino working as planned for now. If I can then link obd to it, it wouldn’t be much of a further step to setup a relay output for wing position.

Could you just use an output from the ecu to power a servo to open and close the wing at the push of a button on the steering wheel like the f1 drs?

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    Active aero... also something to keep in mind.
    Ed - Have you seen this?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    Ed - Have you seen this?
    no i hadnt, but interesting! so basically the rear wing is running an F-Duct (or 2) and the front splitter has a way of dumping the high pressure under the car. not sure about the vectoring idea (surely you can do that better with active suspension?) butz altogether nice application of F1 aero

might need a second ardurino
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Yeah, active suspension can do it better, but the vectoring stuff is much easier (in theory anyway).
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I2C was designed for board-to-board comms. I had frustratingly intermittent results using it for permanent sensor installs in greenhouses. Dallas 1-wire (eg mTS017) is more suitable and will do away with both your multiplexers.

I was looking at the layout, and I think I can get it down to max 1.5m from board to sensor. Looking through various builds, that seems doable/reliable using good shielded low capacitance (12pF/ft) cable... which I've found locally. Then there's inline signal conditions which i could put in if it doesn't work. I think it's doable. Or at the very least tying.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße