Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Eds Lotus 116 GT3

can buy all that suspension shit plus better aftermarket stuff fairly easily and "relatively" cheaply. I think this is calling out for a light weight high revving V8 donk and frankenstien Exige GT3 body panels. Motor from an E92 M3 would be nice.

otherwise 2JZ
    Last edited by spiller; 16-12-15 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    can buy all that suspension shit plus better aftermarket stuff fairly easily and "relatively" cheaply. I think this is calling out for a light weight high revving V8 donk and frankenstien Exige GT3 body panels. Motor from an E92 M3 would be nice.

otherwise 2JZ
    Yes. BMW motor would be sweet!
    DJ's don't need sigs

H1 V8 90 kg 400 hp @ 10000 rpm

Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    Step one will be sorting a donor vehicle from which to steal the required metric shitload of basic bits from
    Step 1 ....then x eleventy
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Chassis has a few dings in unimportant spots, but is otherwise entirely straight/true.

No v8/v6, lol

Seriously unneeded, gearbox headfucks a plenty, space issues etc. 300hp from 2L something is going to be insanely rapid, and hardly stretching said 2L. I'm hoping for ~800-850kg, so if tickle 350hp, it'll be around 2.4:1 kg/hp. Fuck me, that'll do I think haha.

Plus... It has to be an oem motor with known (min) euro3 emissions. Hence audi 1.8t idea. Parts everywhere, and 320hp all day long
    Last edited by doctor ed; 16-12-15 at 08:59 PM.

Eliseparts in the UK and Elise-Shop in Holland do suspension, steering, brakes etc and some VX220/Speedster specific parts.

Vauxhall/Opel 2 litre was standard and they had a turbo version. No reason you couldn't run the standard turbo drivetrain with a few tweaks and wind the boost up for 350HP. Supercharged Honda K20A would also be an option but probably more expensive. I've seen them run >400HP with street drivable tunes.
    Lotus Europa from around 2006 was basically the VX220 with a coupe body but they are relatively rare and have become highly sought after.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

If you want carbon GT3 widebody, I believe Lachy at Prep'd still has all the moulds last time I checked.

You really don't need a lot of power in that chassis. Splurge on susp and body over donk. 300 - 350 is PLENTY to be stupidly quick.
    Last edited by BLO 767; 16-12-15 at 10:03 PM.

Come in spinner...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	88904

Views:	55 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	88905
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Hence audi 1.8t idea. Parts everywhere, and 320hp all day long
    Plus it's been done many times before. There is an Audi powered one in Sydney.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

This should be pretty interesting. Good luck man.

id be looking at saabs b234r.... it bolts to a vauxhall gearbox and the internals will see 500bhp. plus the stock ecu is mappable.

Jebus thats cool. Whats a decent complete/running/rego'd/etc one cost over there?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    No the
    joke on you guys because your so fucking dumb.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

innerdasting

this world of euro engines is so new to me. its fucking badly with my head.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

in the LHD part of europe, straight stock NAs go for around €15-20k and turbos around €20-25k (more or less)

in RHD land, theyre way cheaper, an NA will go for €10-15k and a turbo €15-20k

above chassis cost me trailer hire and about 800km worth of boredom

Im hoping il can get a very personally hi-spec'd finished thing with +300hp running and rego'd for €10-15k.

now double that, and expect completion in 2022
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Been reading about what folks do with the brakes on these things.

Seems to be 2 camps. First say the standard brakes (288mm AP twin piston front, 288mm tiny brembo sliding single piston rear (with cable handbrake) when fitted with good pads are more than enough. Some cooling needs for track use.

Camp 2's upgrades typically revolve around 295 and 308mm rotors (front) with 4 piston AP calipers of varying sorts. Rears are either left alone, or also upgraded to 295/308mm with adapters to mount the front 2 pots at the back.

Folks who tend to go for these big brakes tend to be a bit more "look at my AP sticker through the spokes" types. Though I'm sure they also do work a chunk better than stock.

Interestingly (and this is the bit I LOVE about modding cars) both the lotus Europa S and the Tesla Roadster are based in the lotus 116 chassis. The Europa S around 2006 has basically the same brakes, then they changed the whole chassis and suspension. The Tesla Roadster however stuck with the lotus chassis, but to help slow down a tonne of batteries, they got some bespoke 308mm rotors at all 4 corners.

Some bloke sent me an email as he's got a set of Tesla rotors/hubs/uprights/calipers. I hadn't clued onto this otherwise...

Basically, it seems that the Tesla uses a) the same suspension components and geometry as the lotus b) the uprights are a different casting for the Tesla (from lotus) designed to put the calipers out the 10mm required for the bigger disc. I think the calipers themselves are the same as std lotus, but I'm not 100%, there might be a small difference in radial standoff (combined with the altered uprights to achieve the 10mm increased disc).

Either way... Might be a decent compromise between mega $$ AP brake upgrade, and actually functional bigger brakes, for no more money than just regular brakes.

308 on all corners, with decent pads. Should stop ok.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...-brake-upgrade

Views:	121 
Size:	582.8 KB 
ID:	88933

Views:	143 
Size:	624.7 KB 
ID:	88934
    Last edited by doctor ed; 18-12-15 at 06:47 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Note to self

Postby Bill in MN Aug 21, 2010 5:50 PM

As luck would have it I have a scale and an 8 and 9" style 32 sitting close by.

The 8x17 is 23.5lb, 9x17 is 25.5lb
    Mit freundlichen Gre

But what are the costs/availability of these discs?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Guy just offered me everything pictured, plus calipers for not much (basically $100 corner complete - which is wrecker prices!). Way way less than the AP 4 pot route.

Exactly you point bugging me though... It's is a bit of a unicorn

Edit - won't know till I hold them (if) but there's more than a good chance that standard 308mm vx220 "big brake" rotors are the same thing/spec
    Last edited by doctor ed; 18-12-15 at 09:39 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

In race/track car situations I think it's better to spend a little more initially on a set up that is cheaper/easier to maintain. Because if something is going to fail/need replacement, guaranteed you will find out the day before a meet.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

one of the big consumables on a track car is discs and pads so yeah you wanna make sure those are cheap and available

good point.

i should stop looking at unicorn faeces
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Decent discs for these cars are not cheap.

I was going to fit bigger callipers and discs to my Elise but in thousands of track miles I've never run out of brakes and that includes sessions of over 30 minutes. Good pads (Pagid), decent, slotted (not drilled) 2-piece discs (AP), good fluid (changed regularly) and braided lines are usually all you need.

Power assisted brakes on the early Toyota-powered Elises and Exiges felt crap with too much pedal travel. Hopefully your car is too early for that.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

cad up some hats and find some generic rotors - sell to other unicorn owners

Something r35 about this:

Mit freundlichen Gre

Ps... Fuck you fiberglass splinters
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Something r35 about this:

I like the stormtrooper look.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30

The Exige spoiler really looks good on that car.

Those 308mm discs pictured above really struggled on the front of mine at Mallala. Also it's fairly widely regarded that the AP 4 pots are a shitty el-cheapo caliper. The boots burn up in no time with track use and the seals fail. Elise-Parts sell a higher temp boot/seal package which would be the way to go if going that route.

I fitted 2 piece performance friction on the front of mine which were a lot better but cost me about $700 per rotor/hat. Could probably source them cheaper directly from the UK

Im going to just set it up firstly with the 308's and the stock 2piston APs on a 10mm spacer at the front. ill throw in some decent pads and just see how it performs.

On the back, Ive pretty much figured out the Tesla uses a modified/custom Suspension upright with modified caliper Mounts. It uses the stock rear Lotus caliper but places it out 10mm for use with the same 308mm rotor as the front. lucky find, so im getting me a set of those uprights, and we'll see how it all goes.

so yeah, esentially stock calipers with some decent pads, running 308 front and back.

we'll see how it goes before pouring Money into the 4pot AP or whatever.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Yep the 2 pots with good pads, lines and fluid is definitely the way to go if you already have them. It will stop good with the 308s front and rear too. Not sure what master you are using but the Toyota lotus setup was biased quite heavily fowards so having the larger rear rotor and caliper should help you there.
    Last edited by spiller; 21-12-15 at 12:20 PM.