Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Eds Lotus 116 GT3

Spinny things and shiny pipes. Do like.
    Norbie!

got the firewall installed for good...

sits in pretty well actually, quite happy how it worked out, and didnt get sikafelx absolutely everywhere
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

page 3 eh? im slipping...

got the turbo flange (12mm alloy compressor and 12mm stainless turbine) receiver grooves machined...

Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Sweet flange bro.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

no one likes a leaky flange, mate
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Is flange, is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Top one before prison, bottom one after?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Top one before pregnancy, bottom one after?
    Fixed
    Mit freundlichen Gre

firewall and intercooler now all back together with some fiberglass heatshield/deadender sheeting. itchy fucking stuff to work with

Mit freundlichen Gre

everything out... getting ready to go back in for the last(?) time. hopefully get it all done this evening

Last edited by doctor ed; 10-02-18 at 12:14 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Makes the fd look like a nugget.

How do those gearbags hold up to power?

Pushing 1400kg around they have a habit of munching shaft bearings (even on low power oem diesel applications). Theres some oiling mods that you can do to increase volume, theres a service bulletin with an updated casing with bigger bearings plus extra oil galleries and reinforcement etc. combined with only pushing half the weight around Im hoping it wont explode. Other than the bearing failures though, they seem to hold up ok.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

So what fuels do you have over there?
    Eg pump closeish.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Fuck all. Though 98 at the pump is standard fare at least.

E85 lost its tax exemption last year, became more expensive than ULP, plus there's some weird anti ethanol media bandwagon and public mistrust, so it's essentially no longer available anywhere.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

so, -3degC in the shed, and i still cant feel my feet, but this happened...

and in the process of that, this happened. fucking stud fouled the rear subframe. so out with the stud, cut down a diff crownwheel bolt and continued

then this became obvious (in retrospect you can see it in the pic above) - the wastgate actuator also decided to foul on the subframe.

so loosened the compressor housing, and rotated it a poofteenth. 2mm to spare now

Last edited by doctor ed; 10-02-18 at 10:07 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

and how its looking as i walked out

Mit freundlichen Gre

I went fishing this morning, opened this thread and every jellyfish within cooee got an instant horn.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    well done mate

is it worth looking into skimming the face of the exhaust manifold on a bevel to lift the turbo a smidge more?
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Im going to try tilting the engine a little on the mounts
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Titz
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Had a look at what degrees of freedom were available in the mounts to free up some space.

Tilting the motor unfortunately doesn't achieve anything where needed. The edger the motor near the subframe tends to rotate on an arc tangential to the subframe, so there's no win in terms of absolute clearance. What would be needed is a forward shift of the upper mounts, as well as a rotation of the lower mounts. To do that I'd need to slot the upper mounts about 5mm, and yeah, nah.

Dominik (wiring guy) was talking about bending the actuator mount, but be fucked if I can get to one of the mounting bolts without disassembling the whole turbo assembly. Apparently I need to be a small double jointed female Asian to do this.

Anyway, after a lot of jacking the motor and shifting mounts around with a crowbar, I bolted it all back down again without changing anything.

Soo... Went back to the compressor housing, backed it off and rotated it a bees dick further. I uncoupled the shaft from the wastegate and tried to line things up better, ended up bending a kink in the shaft so everything operates straight, adjusted a few hardlines, and it's all now sitting with 4-5mm clearance.

Not heaps, but I suspect enough. Hopefully the mounts are stiff enough, and the motion of the motor is so constrained that it doesn't try and bang things together
    Mit freundlichen Gre

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Surely cut/weld a notch into the subframe would be an easier fix?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Would bolting the actuator on the front side of the compressor housing and extending the actuator shaft gain any space?
    If in doubt, flat out!

And one more pic... Europa S driveshafts looking pretty:

So, to quickly summarise the bits making this work
    - A20NFT 2L DI Turbo (Ecotech/B207 family)
    - M32 6Sp Box from some 2.2L Opel/Vauxhall
    - Europa S left/right motor mounts
    - Europa S front/rear torque mounts
    - Europa S driveshafts
    - Tesla Roadster uprights (first car in space!)
    - SKF Hubs
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by toyabusa View Post
    Would bolting the actuator on the front side of the compressor housing and extending the actuator shaft gain any space?
    If I could be fucked actually disassembling the whole assembly to get the actuator free I'm sure there'd be a couple of possibilities

Notching would work. Banging it with a hammer would be better. Material is pretty borderline to be fucking with.

That said, it's actually not bad as it is, so I'll wait and see if it actually hits before I spend too much more time worrying about it. Gut feeling is that it'll be fine
    Last edited by doctor ed; 11-02-18 at 08:04 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

All good. The whole things looking great!
    If in doubt, flat out!

spent the arvo tidying up, measuring some stuff, and doing some small bits so i could start calling things 'done'

as mentioned above, i managed to get the gap to the wastegate actuator out to 4-5mm. tried putting the car in 1st gear and rocking it to see what a torque load did... barely moved 1mm, and after thinking to myself hey, thats pretty good, i realised that the lower motor/torque mounts werent even fastened. so yeah, hopefully itll be just fine

Mit freundlichen Gre

started looking at exactly how much space ive got to bring the compressor outlet pipe straight over the top of the engine and down into the cooler core.

63-76mm reducer elbow into the cooler core

Last edited by doctor ed; 12-02-18 at 02:44 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

over the top of the engine is tight. 63mm might be a little optimistic, but the alloy coupler pictured is around 70mm. conveniently the mesh insert of the motor cover is in exactly the right place to allow a bit of room to get a pipe past. its going to be tight, but everything is tight, so no surprises really. as long as its doable

Mit freundlichen Gre

edit - double
    Last edited by doctor ed; 12-02-18 at 02:56 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre