Thread: 2002 Jackaroo 4JX1

2002 Jackaroo 4JX1

Finally bought myself a new car, and went for something completely different.

Purchased the ever-reliable turbo diesel Jackaroo, against all advice. I must like causing myself problems, as these things have a long list of expensive oily bits that break a lot.
    The TDI 4JX1 uses the CAT HEUI high pressure oil system, there's a shitload of expensive sensors, oil pumps and filters everywhere, pretty much no mechanic will touch them!

I think my favourite features is they had to put 2 batteries in it to get the starter motor to crank fast enough, and since there's so much pressure and oil hanging around, oil can actually 'wick' through the actual wires in the wiring loom directly into the ECU...
    The other bonus feature was the engine can run away on its own accord, even when you turn it off, launching you into traffic - brilliant.

Luckily there's a huge support community these days with most stuff figured out, but you'd be screwed if you owned one of these 5-8 years ago and it died.

It's pretty mint condition though, has lots of new suspension, bluetooth headunit, JDM-spec electronic foldable mirrors, UHF/electronic brakes.
    Don't even need to do much to it, probably fit an awning and a roof cage for camping.

I dig it

The slowest heap of shit imaginable! I can't imagine why you would buy one.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmuz View Post
    Jack's are the new hotness, I'm bringing them back!

But yes it is a roll of the dice every day now when it will shit an injector or leak some oil into some unreachable $600 sensor.
    Coming from a modded LS2, it actually a whole lot faster than I thought it would be, certainly has some good pulling power, for example I had to tow another Jackaroo that's broken down.

I like it
    caprice nugget.

Sorry I thought it was an older one. No idea if these are as bad as the olden days ones were.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Saving Ol Skool Mitsi's
    I like it! I looked at a couple a few years back when I bought my PA challenger. A lot of car for fuck all. Fingers crossed you have a good run mechanically!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I just came here to say i liked Jackaroos before they were cool.

........they are cool now right?

Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    I just came here to say i liked Jackaroos before they were cool.

........they are cool now right?
    Yep - they are bloody good value and generally really highly spec'd on the later models, I personally like the look of them too! Not hard to find a good one for around the 5k mark these days.

Great Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Mate of mine asked me about buying one of these about 18mths ago
    - I said - Kevin - Buy a Pajero and be happy and I will take you 4WDing...

He was dead set on a Jackaroo
    - I said Kevin - get a V6 then if you must have a Jackaroo

He said he thought they cost too much to run
    - I said Kevin - get a V6 on LPG then...

He went out and bought a Jackaroo SE TDI like that - but white...
    - I showed Kevin how to join forums and to keep eye on Gumtree and Ebay for people selling bits.. "They will be your best friend"

He now owns 3 of them - 1 (somewhat) driveable on and that he bought just to get some parts... + he has his Old man's Ford Maverick (on LPG) as a 'reliable' daily whilst he keeps working away on the Jackaroos

Kev's a bit special :P (ohh, and he still hasn't been able to come 4WDing... it's not "fixed" yet - lol

Already done the first injector on this thing! Luckily got a full set for cheap ($250) and it was only a couple of hours worth of work - holden even stocked the o-rings and seals I needed.
    Good excuse to do a full service too, and it's running sweet so far (touch wood).
    EGR valve has also been "adjusted" since it wasn't working very well.

Bought a tech2 for diagnostics and programming, which made the job a whole lot easier as there's a bunch of built-in functions purely for this job.

Next job is to chuck on a roof basket and LED light bar before heading off camping.

Another sprinter driver! slide86's Avatar
    Shudder........10 years at Holden dealerships. Have done so many injectors, looms, seals, sensors on these things.

Another thing to watch is the oil pickups in the sump. They crack, when they do, they prevent oil from reaching the pump and it won't build oil pressure, which equals a no start.
    Sounds like you are ontop of most of the common things tho. Did you know you need to program the injectors with tech2 depending on what batch number they are. From what I remember its more of a fuel economy thing tho, and it will run if you don't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by slide86 View Post
    Shudder........10 years at Holden dealerships. Have done so many injectors, looms, seals, sensors on these things.

Another thing to watch is the oil pickups in the sump. They crack, when they do, they prevent oil from reaching the pump and it won't build oil pressure, which equals a no start.
    Sounds like you are ontop of most of the common things tho. Did you know you need to program the injectors with tech2 depending on what batch number they are. From what I remember its more of a fuel economy thing tho, and it will run if you don't do this.
    My local Holden dealership said they won't even have them in anymore for work haha.
    Yup read the grades off the injectors and programmed them in as part of the injector changeover, apparently makes a subtle (but worthwhile) difference.
    The load balance and solenoid click test saved me a heap of troubleshooting though! Quite advanced engines really (which is why I think they had so many issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmuz View Post
    I reckon your thinking of the first Gen / G200 gemini powered ones.

I like these, and i actually miss my old petrol manual [6VD1]. Went hard, and they are suprisingly good offroad. Brave choice getting the JX1 though i can see why - they are a shitload cheaper than the 4JG2 powered ones which have fucking no electric windows no nothing. Little cousin had one and his did the injectors on it [shock horror] but we were told there were no new/reco replacements? Whats the go, just keep throwing second handys at it?

Id love to get one but i think being a diesel numpty a 4JG2 would have to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    I reckon your thinking of the first Gen / G200 gemini powered ones.

I like these, and i actually miss my old petrol manual [6VD1]. Went hard, and they are suprisingly good offroad. Brave choice getting the JX1 though i can see why - they are a shitload cheaper than the 4JG2 powered ones which have fucking no electric windows no nothing. Little cousin had one and his did the injectors on it [shock horror] but we were told there were no new/reco replacements? Whats the go, just keep throwing second handys at it?

Id love to get one but i think being a diesel numpty a 4JG2 would have to be it.
    Nah you can buy new ones still, i.e. a few hundo each, IMO best bet is just buy a complete 2nd hand set for cheap out of a known runner. CAT also still make a lot of the sensors new because they use them in excavators haha!

Injectors usually just have the solenoids die in them, or seals go. As long as you get ones with serial numbers past about 56000 or so (and there was a recall that replaced most) - you can use a tech2 to do a click-test and as long as it passes you're golden.
    Holden and isuzu still sell all the o-rings, seals, and the only other bitch of a job is if the injector sleeves go, but once again, it's pretty well documented how to replace them and you can buy a tool for about $100 that solves the hard part of the job.

Apart from that there's an oil rail pressure sensor that can fuck up and prevent the computer from enabling the injectors, but you can still force the car into limp-home mode by cutting a wire. Fairly easy job to replace for a couple of hundred bucks too.

Now you can buy knock-off tech2's for cheap, the troubleshooting is really easy, and there's only a few common things to look at.

Half the problems are caused by people chucking in any old shitty oil, if you run the specified 5w-30 synthetic, it makes the engine and all the 2,500 oily bits happy.

Had a bit of a car week over the Christmas break, first with a general service and replaced a few things I had laying around like rocker cover gasket (and cleaned all the previous owners gasket gunk off everything).
    Plus new injector loom which I got for a steal, so a bit of preventative maintenance there.

Next onto fitting the snorkel, nothing like waking up slightly hungover and drilling a dirty big hole in the side of your car!
    Went fairly smoothly though, will need to do a few small mods if I ever intend to do huge/long water crossings (completely seal airbox, etc).

Next onto the awning. Bolted straight to the roof cage, so that was quite an easy job.
    Had a beer under it in my driveway, but haven't' quite got to use it for actual camping yet, Aus day long weekend is looking good.

After that, a bit of novelty value, but genuinely useful when parking in muddy/poorly lit areas.
    Couple of leftover LED light strips, that now turn on for 30sec on lock/unlock.

Finally got really geeky and have installed an Arduino-based hardware controller for the car.
    Custom coding it myself, so it'll be a work in progress, but as of now it links into quite a few sensors, controls the lights and intelligently knows statuses of various systems in the car.

Next is a light bar, and build some simple storage for the back.

Hows this thing going dude, still reliable? Still think these are fucking brilliant value.

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    Hows this thing going dude, still reliable? Still think these are fucking brilliant value.
    They are amazing value! I still love it but I have got my hands dirty a few times.

Owned it for almost 2 years now and not spent much at all, a few hundred bucks.
    Had to replace 2 injectors (but just bought 4 second hand for cheap) and a few o-rings, I reckon I could do all 4x injectors in 3-4 hours, it's seriously not hard and the main reason people are scared of these things.
    I had to do the ORPS, once again, prob 1.5 hours of work.
    Few electrical bits, but I recommend buying the holden Tech2 knockoff from china and you can easily sort anything out.

Apart from that easy running and fuel economy is stupidly good.

Chucked on a snorkle, roof cage, LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Is that photo out the back of Willunga?
    230SL 'Pagoda' | FC RX-7 Infini

Quote Originally Posted by [CatchMe] View Post
    Is that photo out the back of Willunga?
    Close! Near Myponga, in amongst all the proper farm areas.