Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BEAVIS' White NB Turbo Track Car

Intercoolers are cooler with proper tubing

Sorry for the delay between updates... I've got no excuse this time, just been otherwise occupied. But I've managed to do some things on the car...

Although I had already 'finished' the intercooler tubing, I wasn't happy with it.
    The previous setup for the pipework from the Turbo to the Intercooler was 3 aluminium lengths joined by silicone 45deg bends.
    This would result it too many potential failure points and too many heavy hose clamps.

Thankfully the solution was simple, replace the silicone 45's with aluminium 45's. And now that I had the TIG welder, I could put this all together myself without too much trouble. (and any excuse for welding practice is good)
    This is all 2" tube, to match the outlet from the turbo. The silicone joiner into the intercooler is a 2.5" to 2" reducer 90deg bend.

While I was at it, the intake INTO the turbo needed to be sorted out also as nothing had been done for that yet.
    The tube work here is 2.5" to match the inlet to the turbo. Working backwards from the turbo to the pod filter there is a 90deg bend out and up from the turbo, and then another 90 to bring the tube parallel with the ground again and over the top of the frame rail. Then, a 3" to 2.5" reducer to adapt from the pod filter.

I decided to go with the pod filter mounted just behind the left hand headlight. (well, if I actually ran headlights) Theres plenty of room there for the pod, and any sort of intake ductwork or whatever I end up with here.... I do not have an exact plan for that yet.

Any thoughts on what I should do here exctly?
    Box in the pod filter?
    Naca duct in the headlight?
    Or run some duct for some cold air intake into the pod perhaps?

For aero drag, your better off with less openings on the front. Just put the pod filter in front of the tyre. Completely smooth front with no lumps or bumps is the go. Just one smallish opening for the heat exchangers.
    NA8B 89 KW's- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181 KW's- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VN SS

I wouldn't put the POD near the tyres for fear of rain and weather getting in.

I'm considering just running a hose up from the radiator intake duct to a hole under where the pod will go, and boxing that in.

Splash guard in front of the tyre...
    Your idea will work too.
    Last edited by lightyear; 21-12-16 at 05:52 AM.
    NA8B 89 KW's- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181 KW's- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VN SS

Did you forget about the Fastback?

Last time with the roof I had finished painting but it still needs a few finishing touches. Windows for the side and back, some foam rubber seals to get the roof sitting nicely on the body of the car and some fixings to bolt it down.

Here's the style shot of the couple of layers of carbon cloth drenched in resin. This is hand laid and squeegeed to try get the resin out. Not the lightest or strongest way to do carbon... it's mostly just for looks, and to keep the wind out.

I have an old bathroom mirror that's handy for doing nice smooth flat sheet like this. PVA release is brushed on the glass first to ensure this stuff comes away easily when it's set. The masking tape is good for keeping the mess contained and aids cleanup.

Once cured, the window shape was cut with an angle grinder and sanded smooth before being glued (sikaflexed) in place.

For the rear window, I'd tossed up the idea of running no back window, or a louvered window Lambo Huracan style. But, ended up going for a plain clear lexan window for best visibility.

A black border is painted around the permiter of the window to hide the glue, and the window is glued and clamped down.

So to make sure the rear window really stuck down properly and followed the slight curve of the rear section of the fastbacnk, it needed to be weighed down.
    You can see here how ugly and yellow the doors look now. The rattle can 'appliance white' paint has not worn well. I've decided they really need to be sanded back and painted properly. But that will be a future update...

Another exciting thing to happen in the BEAVIS world of MX-5's recently:

Coolant Hose Fail on the VVT Supercharged NA

So the story on this one goes... I was driving the car to work and thankfully I had the Torque app running on the headunit which is hooked into the car via an OBD2 bluetooth dongle. It kicks up an alert as the coolant temp hits 100degC (212degF)
    Immediately I'm perplexed as its never hit that before. At first I suspected it was a result of the weather as it gets toasty here in Melbourne around December/January. When moving, the temp would return to ~95deg, but when stationary it would return to as high as 105deg
    So, there is little I can do as I need to get to work, after work i start the car and begin the drive home, thankfully there isn't too much traffic but the symptoms eventually return as the car warms up. I cruise home cautiously trying to keep the temp under 100ish as best I can.

As soon as I pull into the driveway and kill the motor I can hear a hiss and fear the worst. Busted Rad? Boiled Coolant? Head Gasket? ???
    I pop the bonnet and the hissing is coming from around the intake manifold, I suspect perhaps one of those smaller coolant hoses that runs to the throttle body and oil filter may have failed?
    I poke around and I can see coolant, but cant find a source.

Then, I squeeze the top radiator hose, no pressure at all and a splooge of coolant comes out the side of it. Well there's my problem. And the cause is immediately obvious.
    The hose has been ever so slightly rubbing on the supercharger drive belt. The belt has carved a hole out of the hose, only tiny, but enough for the coolant to spray out at a high level of force.

So, a quick hose swap and some length adjustment and the issue is gone Phew

Here's a video of that endeavor: