Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BEAVIS' White NB Turbo Track Car

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Which cusco rs or mz?

I have a rs installed into the centre but not installed in the car just yet. The diff guy said its going to sound like its broken until its run in.

Not looking forward to an hour of figure 8's
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Hello!
    So update on, well, it's mostly just purchases. I've bought myself an OMP seat, now i need to try shoehorn it into the car. wish me luck as goddamn i hate the lack of space in an MX5. Being over 6ft makes fitting my stupid head under the roof far too difficult.
    Also, I have purchased some LS2 coil packs. Once I get the car up and running I will sort out getting them wired up and plugged in. While I don't expect any immediate issues with the stock NB VVT coil on plugs, I am trying to do things properly and do them once. Plus the coils are really pretty cheap as every second Holden Commodore runs them.
    And have spent some cash on some silicone stuff and aluminium things to make intake/intercooler pipework. It will take a little masterchef-ery to fit around the radiator ductwork when I get around to it.

Things that I have actually been doing.....

Diff Bushes
    So to go with the diff update from my last post, here's some GarageStar diff bushes to stiffen things up.
    Little did I know, I could get them from OMGpham, almost made the mistake or ordering direct from GarageStar instead of helping out a fellow aussie.
    Pretty easy to swap in. The hardest part is certainly getting out the old ones. I lubed them up with some WD40 and then went at it with the drill to loosen up the rubber center, then taught them a lesson with a chisel and hammer to knock the things into submission (and knock them out of the diff).

Turbo Is Here
    NitroDann has very graciously delivered some nice birthday goodies to me. A manifold and downpipe to go with my S14 turbo.
    He helped me out and of course knows how to make a turbo MX-5 go fast without qualms of reliability so I am pleased to run his work on my car.
    The downside is, now I have no excuses for not having the car running other than my lack of time.
    I do like the subtlety of the low mounted turbo, and the efficiency in the downpipe design is a nice benefit also.

Wing
    Lastly, a sneak peak of the new wing designed and CAD drawn by myself and lightyear. Water jet cut 12mm alloy is not cheap. If you know someone who can do it for a reasonable price, please let me know.
    There is a foam core to go with this, that should hopefully appear next week. Then we will need to put it all together.

I got most of the plumbing dummied up and took it to Nick to weld it all. Maybe you should do the same. It's actually cheaper than buying silicon joiners.
    Last edited by lightyear; 04-05-16 at 10:59 PM.
    NA8B 89 KW's- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181 KW's- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VN SS

Went to a Sunday morning car meet a few weeks ago which was down the road from home.
    Was impressed with how 'lamborghini-like' this Lotus was with the wild wing and the huge tyres.... the colour was pretty awesome also.

This thing was also very impressive, a mostly home built GT40 replica. Everything was very neat and meticulously built.

Bought a new (proper) seat for the track car. It's not easy finding a seat that will fit properly in an MX-5, particularly given I'm over 6ft.
    This OMP showed promise with dimensions not too much larger than the old Sparco.

Making the seat fit, with half decent headroom, I decided to cut the floor.... sooo it doesn't look so neat, but trust me on this.

Seat goes in nice and snug. I haven't yet finished mounting it up, but its pleasing to finally have a seat thats actually got some comfort

I've now mocked up the pipe work to the intercooler. (please excuse the horrid photo)
    I'm running 2" tubing from the turbo the the cooler. And 2.5" from the cooler to the throttle body.
    For the hoses on the exhaust side of the motor, I've purposefully gone around the radiator duct as much as I could. The the hose to the throttle body however will run a directly through the duct.

We picked up a new car....

So, despite what I mentioned in a previous post about the no obligation test drive of the ND, here's our new White 2.0l ND for my number 1 lady to daily drive.
    I promise it's for her and not me.

Oh and them feels when you come back to your car to find an SP parked next to it.

......so yeah, 3 white MX-5's in the garage now.

Pics of your 3 MX5's in your garage not loading.
    VN SS

Do like the ND in white. Did not realize that you owned another MX5 besides the track NB.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Nice progress!

Not quite sure how many, if any, openings you're going to have at the front of the car for cool air to get into the engine bay. If none (like us) you will now notice things getting much hotter under there. By ducting the cooling cores like this you may need to invest in better coatings and plumbing to withstand higher heat. Just a heads up on what we found a few years ago. Throttle cable shroud melting and getting stuck open was fun.

Not sure on what is reasonable for CNC'ing and cutting nowadays. Pretty sure the guy we use in Sydney is very reasonable though.

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Do like the ND in white. Did not realize that you owned another MX5 besides the track NB.
    The NA is actually an NA8B. Meaning it is a rebodied NB8B 2001 MX5 in an older NA8 shell. Like my old red car, it's the best combo. Classic look, with the more modern bits.

It is something to consider - heat under the bonnet. I figured there would be enough air moving around in the engine bay, if not, more bonnet vents...
    Last edited by lightyear; 05-05-16 at 02:49 PM.
    VN SS

If you have no openings in the front bumper/nose the vents won't help enough (in my experience). They'll let most of the heat out in the pits rather than being rammed out under pressure. If you have a few openings then you should be ok.

Decided to supercharge my street car....
    Took a weekend to do the bulk of the work and a couple of days here and there afterward to clean up the details.

Please enjoy my attempt at a snazzy video.

Quote Originally Posted by bbeavis View Post
    Diff Bushes
    So to go with the diff update from my last post, here's some GarageStar diff bushes to stiffen things up.
    Little did I know, I could get them from OMGpham, almost made the mistake or ordering direct from GarageStar instead of helping out a fellow aussie.
    Pretty easy to swap in. The hardest part is certainly getting out the old ones. I lubed them up with some WD40 and then went at it with the drill to loosen up the rubber center, then taught them a lesson with a chisel and hammer to knock the things into submission (and knock them out of the diff).
    How did you know yours were shot? I broke a power frame at the last track outing and got wondering if this could be the cause. I found the local ones... $105 shipped sounds alright. http://omgpham.com/store/na-89-97/ga...r-diff-bushing
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    Which cusco rs or mz?
    I have a rs installed into the centre but not installed in the car just yet. The diff guy said its going to sound like its broken until its run in.
    Not looking forward to an hour of figure 8's
    Erm, im not sure which one it is now... i seem to have forgotten. I too have heard about their need to 'wear in'. However i bought this diff used so it will likely be less noisy than a new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    Nice progress!
    Not quite sure how many, if any, openings you're going to have at the front of the car for cool air to get into the engine bay. If none (like us) you will now notice things getting much hotter under there. By ducting the cooling cores like this you may need to invest in better coatings and plumbing to withstand higher heat. Just a heads up on what we found a few years ago. Throttle cable shroud melting and getting stuck open was fun.

Not sure on what is reasonable for CNC'ing and cutting nowadays. Pretty sure the guy we use in Sydney is very reasonable though.
    You are very probably correct, i have invested in some heat wraps for the critical hoses to the turbo, other than that I had hoped most of the other components would withstand the heat. There isn't much left under the bonnet that isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    If you have no openings in the front bumper/nose the vents won't help enough (in my experience). They'll let most of the heat out in the pits rather than being rammed out under pressure. If you have a few openings then you should be ok.
    The stock opening through the front bumper should be enough, and we did some rudimentary wool tuft testing a few years ago which suggested the bonnet vents were working at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    How did you know yours were shot? I broke a power frame at the last track outing and got wondering if this could be the cause. I found the local ones... $105 shipped sounds alright. http://omgpham.com/store/na-89-97/ga...r-diff-bushing
    I didn't replace the diff bushes due to wear, only to make the driveline firm.
    I bought them from omgpham.

So we had our first trial with making the new wing.

The alloy plate is used for mounting the wing to the car, and for the wing endplates to attach to. However for this first test we decided to use some plywood as the plates cost about $50.

Weighing the foam core, it was under 290grams. (0.6pounds). We also used about 1.5kg of resin. The wing was cut to 1.4m span to match the car it will bolt to.

For this test piece, we opted for a few layers of fibreglass, a layer of plain weave carbon fibre and some strategically placed carbon offcuts for strengthening.
    You can see our plywood end pieces in place

After layup, the wing was wrapped in plastic and returned to its original block to help with holding shape.

The whole block was placed in a bag. Vacuum pump hooked up. Start sucking.

After a few hours, we went to check the progress only to discover that the heat of the curing epoxy had exceeded the limits of the polystyerene. The end result was a very warped part.

So we need to find an alternative foam, or change the choice of resin, or change the process to reduce the heating effects... or some other alternatives which we have not pondered up yet.
    We trialed the strength of the wing even in its deformed state. With near 200kg static weight in the centre of the wing, it did not flex, however any more than that and the wing started to fail.

Nonetheless, it was a good test.

Just a small update on things that aren't my car.

Had a visit from a 300+hp NB recently to help make an airbox and bracket for the COPs.
    It was certainly interesting to get up close to a car running a turbo setup not too dissimilar to what I plan on using. Albeit this car is a little more beefy in the engine department.

Also visited Sandown raceway with the lightyear for a weekend of the state championships to enjoy the smell of fuel and rubber in the air and for an opportunity to get some inspiration and ideas on how to change/improve my own car.

With aero always on the mind, I really liked the many details of the Audi R8's. The design of the front end was awesome. One of these was for sale for only $150,000aud.

This sports sedan with its body removed offered a close up view of some sexy details not normally seen.

I forgot to post up the video i made of the wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00jNeLnx7U&ab_channel=BEAVISHSV

So needless to say, attempt 2 was much better than attempt 1.
    This wing is strong, weighs about 2.7kg (~6lbs) and works well on the silver NB.
    The gurney flap was cut down to about 4 or 5mm.

We will hopefully make another wing soon, however there is a good chance we may try a different method again.... and make a wider wing.

Seen it.
    VN SS

So here are some pics of us making the second wing.

Laying up the wing, some 3 or 4 layers of carbon weave, waterjet cut 12mm alloy end plate mounts. The shape was designed by lightyear and myself, and then drawn in CAD by yours truly.

Vacuum bagging the whole lot because wings love pressure differentials.

Makeshift autoclave to aid with post curing, $12 heater and some old blankies to keep 'er warm.

Straight out of the bag, needs a few hours of sanding and cleaning up.

Strength test, after this photo was taken we had a go at standing on the wing at the same time. The wing didn't bat an eyelid.

Sanded, trimmed, holes tapped for mounting to the wing endplates. Not 100% finished in this pic, but almost....

Are you going to be selling these?

if so how much?
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Need to do some testing on it first. It passed the basic test at Sandown set at zero degrees. Car felt good and top speed didn't drop. But I am waiting for Phillip island in a couple of weeks when the Beavis can come down and we can do a bunch of tests.
    I will try and play with it at Winton tomorrow. It's good that I went to Winton recently, so have plenty of data to see how much difference the wing makes.
    The next thing is manufacturing technique. This wing works perfect, but I wouldn't be happy to sell it.
    VN SS

From whom do you buy your carbon fibre?
    Last edited by ENGINR; 25-06-16 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ENGINR View Post
    From whom do you buy your carbon fibre?
    www.ironbarkcomposites.com.au

I'm overdue for an update.

Floor cut is done, the OMP seat can bolt in and STAY in now, and it is actually reasonably low...... Have I mentioned how much I hate MX-5's and their lack of room for seats?

Anyway.... onto something different. LS2 Corvette Coils.
    Thankfully, these are easily available in Australia because every second V8 Holden runs the LS motor.

Well I need to find a nice and neat way to mount these, so, bust out my low spec 'fabrication' tools. Angle grinder, hammer, some bits of steel.

So, after an hour or two of work, this was the mockup of what I had in mind.

I then cut down the M6 rod, welded a nut to the end of it to make a 200mm long bolt.
    And cut up some alloy tube for spacers between the coil packs.

With the main bracket now done. I added some very necessary speed holes and gave it a shot of silver paint.

All Bolted up to the motor.

There is also a length of M6 rod on the other side of the coil packs with alloy tube spaced between them and a small steel brace to keep them supported. I tried to make it subtle on that side and I think I succeeded.

Lastly, wiring..... a work in progress at the moment. Thanks to Alex 'bartune' Barton for the help with this.

I took the Supercharged street car for a drive to Phillip Island.
    While I was not competing in the track sprint day, I did get a chance to do a few slow laps around the track at lunch time...

Video of the day:

All of your pictures are broken for me

hmm... they are hosted on imgur, seem to be ok?

I was very satisfied when I fired up the ECU last weekend and everything seems to be working well.

After all the:
    • rewiring of sensors
    • new injector and coil pack looms
    • deletion of all the unnecessary dash wiring
    • hefty wire cleanup from many of the wires in the engine bay

We tested injectors, checked the LS2 coil packs, configured the oil temp and oil pressure sensors, setup the MAC valve..... and everything was working as expected. The MS3 was happy and so am I.

Next thing to do is update the ECU firmware, and get the flex fuel sensor working.
    The docco I've looked at suggests I need to be using the 'clutch switch' input to the ecu, and it appears the firmware the ECU is currently running is missing the flex sensor functionality.
    While there is a very good chance I will run the car on dedicated E85, I might as well set the flex sensor up if I can.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Great skills! Loved reading this thread.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

For anyone interested, the fastback roof from this car is for sale, more details here:

http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopi...3&f=44&t=72682

great build mate
    This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.

We used to use Rav 4 Coil on Plug units on the MX5s too - just required a spacer and mount plate sitting in the rocker cover valley. Those LS2 ones should provide enough spark!
    A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.