Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BEAVIS' White NB Turbo Track Car

Indeed, Toyota COPs are a very common upgrade option for the MX5, but I decided to go with the LS coil packs because they are overkill for my needs and pretty cheap thankfully.

Update time!

While reworking the wiring for the coil packs, things got a little out of hand and all the wires from the engine loom have now been trimmed and rewrapped.(As I mentioned in an earlier post)
    You can see the two Deutsch plugs for the injectors and coil packs. And all the front wires now run down the middle of the intake manifold, no more unsightly wires along the motor and out the front like you see on a stock NB.

New coil packs needed new plug leads.
    So I got myself some fat wire, boots and crimpers.

After a few hours one evening in front of the telly.... 4 leads for me and 4 spares in the event of an issue in the future.

I need to be sure to manage temperatures, so I've made a heatshield for the exhaust manifld/turbo.
    Designed and folded from CAD, the mockup worked well because the end result looks quite reasonable.
    I made it extra deep on the rear/turbine side.
    Welded some studs to the manifold and it now bolts on quite happily.

Had to pull the manifold off the car to weld the studs on, so here's the neat little package with turbo, lines and downpipe all together.
    It's tricky, but this whole lot can be installed onto the car assembled as is.

Sorry for keeping you all in the dark lately. Life gets in the way sometimes.

After some 3 or more years in use, I've removed the fastback from the track car.....
    It's being demoted, but thankfully it has been replaced by a newer, lighter version, kindly donated by the Lightyear.
    So I have started work on mounting the new roof. It will then need to be prepped, painted and windows installed.

But the roof hasn't gone far. At least not for the moment.

Speaking of the NA, I put it on the dyno recently to see just whether or not the supercharger was running everything ok and not going result in a surprise kaboom.

The results:

Some more news...

A sticker arrived in the mail...

And was installed on the car.

I've also managed to get the Nexus Tablet working with the 'OTG' USB cable, so it can now charge while connected to a USB device. (such as the ECU)
    If you're not familiar with these gizmos, basically the USB port in a phone or tablet which most people only know of as a charge port can in fact also be used to connect other devices like a keyboard, mouse or usb thumb drive.
    However, what if you want to charge the device while also connecting another device? Well you need a 'OTG' USB cable.

Here's me taking a photo because I was so happy that I got it working with MSdroid talking to the MS3.

While I am using MSdroid above, I am actually thinking of moving to ShadowDash for more customisation.
    So I started on a custom dashboard to run in the car whilst out on track. After a few nights after work doing the designs.... I went from this:

To something more like this...

And so I''ve pretty much finished the Dash for now, and quite chuffed with the result.
    Created images for all the indicators I want to use, so things like overboost, CEL, and FanOn now display with stylish icons.
    Once I start using it in the car, I may need to make some adjustments

VIDEO:
    https://youtu.be/fqnVJwmXLkA

That's the cool thing about being a nerd, you can do shit like this.
    NA8B 89 KW's- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181 KW's- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VN SS

The real Nerds are the clever ones who can make it all work with a car's ECU. I'm just a half assed attempt at being a nerd.

While a large majority of the underbonnet work on the car is done (well, for now), there were a couple of things that I did need to address to settle my OCD.

So, I wanted to moved the IAT sensor to read post intercooler.
    The easiest way to do this was to tap into the side of the intercooler. I'm hoping that where the sensor is now mounted will give a reasonably accurate reading.

The standard GM IAT calls for a 3/8 NPT Tap....

Here's a shot down into the gizzards of the cooler. It all looks about right to me.

The other thing that needed attention was the water pump inlet pipe. It was too close to the turbo for my liking, and meant that removing the turbo would probably require removing this pipe.
    So I took to it with the cutting blade on the grinder, and gave it a slight kink, just enough to get the clearance I need.

Next is to weld this back together, but I'll leave that for another day.

The dash is impressive, looking forward to seeing it mounted.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.36.00
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Here's the result of my first aluminium weld attempt - welding the water pump coolant inlet pipe as mentioned in the last post.
    Not great, not a disaster and not bad for a first try I guess. But, most importantly, water tight. And now it offers the extra clearance from the turbo inlet which is what I was after.

And while I was at it, I had a go at welding the BOV flange to this aluminium intake tube. This is the tube that runs between the intercooler and the throttle body.
    I cut, drilled and opened up a hole in the tube to allow the flange to receive the air, then massaged it to try ensure the tube and the flange meet up reasonably close. There were a few large gaps that made welding trickier. I think the differences in thickness also made it trickier. Being a polished pipe, there's probably a heap of polishing compound in there causing contamination?

The BOV in question is a turbosmart kompact for a Nissan I believe. Although it's a 'plumback' design, I'm just going to run it open to atmosphere as pictured.

A couple of weeks ago I spent a weekend making these new flat carbon/fibreglass door trims to replace the previous CF ones which were too bulky for these gutted doors.
    I wanted a simple flat panel, with a neat door pull and opener. The previous door trim opener was just a bit of electrician wire, and there was no door pull at all. So pretty much anything was better than what I had before.

The trim is mounted with 7 hex head M6 bolts. I riveted on these aluminium tabs and threw a rivnut in them

The interior door handle you may have noticed in the first pic is simply some aluminum tube bolted to the inner side of the exterior door handle. Pushing on the tube from inside the car will push the exterior door handle out. But, its simple and no fancy/complicated latch mechanisms required. Hand looks far too dirty for an IT nerd.

I'll finish off the top edge that meets the window with some sort of trim - haven't worked that out yet.
    The door pulls were some random blue strap I had lying around. Opening the door is now as easy as pushing your thumb on the alloy tube and out the door pops.

Next thing on the to-do list is to start on sanding and painting the new fastback roof...

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    neat and simple
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

In case you're not a subscriber of my channel on YouTube, or you just missed it, I have a collection of new videos coming out, here's episode 1

Fastback Part 1
    Over the last few weekends I've been doing my least favourite thing, body work. Bleah.

The new roof needs to be sanded, holes filled, painted, windows installed, and finally mounted. I've started on the boot section first, filled all the little pinholes and imperfections.

After many hours fillling and sanding with 120grit, this is where it ended up. You may have noticed the hole right in the middle where the third brake light usually lives.

This is the quick latch mount I've gone with.... It has a socket which hooks into a bolt with a spherical end. To remove the boot I just need to push the button and the whole thing pops backwards.
    It's a larger size normally for mounting things like bonnets/hoods, but a single latch in the middle here seems to work well.
    These apparantly can support upwards of 80kg which should be more than enough considering the boot weighs about 5% of that.

Fastback Part 2

So the roof is all ready for paint now... Main roof section is now sanded

These are the mounting points out the rear of the main roof section, riveted and epoxied on, which the boot slides onto. Its just some aluminium tube welded to a flat alloy strip. The tube slides into holes on the boot.

The whole lot back on the car for now. Looking forward to getting it all painted and some windows installed so the car is completely sealed up again.

Well there you go, ready for primer next, and some sanding and perhaps a little more filling before the paint goes on.

PAINT!

So onto painting, and first off... allow me to introduce you to my makeshift paint booth:

With that I was able to get the parts primered for the first time which was a good feeling.

I then hit the whole lot with some more sanding and filled a few more imperfections.

A final coat of primer to seal it all up. Looking nice and smooth all over now and in the sun to cure well. Special mention to the supercharged NA.

Finally, colour! Looking nice and shiny in what I thought was Mazda 'Pure White'.

I had an apprentice helping out, however the bloke was pretty useless so I fired him.

After a day enjoying the sun I set the parts on the car and scratched my head as to why the colour was so off...

It would seem the bloke at the paint shop stuffed up somehow along the way. The colour was too creamy. I went back and he mixed me up another can. He thinks he may have forgotten to add some black to the mix, either that or his paint code software is off. Note the two open cans. On the left is the original colour, on the right is the new mix.

So second attempt at painting and the colour is looking better. The ladder was a good tool for standing the roof up.

A reasonably nice gloss off the gun, and some orange peel. I guess I'm reasonably satisfied with the level of peel. When I get the time I might try sand it out a bit. Anyone know if it's worth the bother? Or will I make it worse?

The end result

Now it needs rear quarter and rear windows, seals and some brackets to mount it to the car, then this milestone is done.
    But, gonna start on the exhaust next... and come back to the windows.

It's nice having the roof white (or colour matched), but so much easier to leave it black. Any racing stripes?
    VN SS

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    Any racing stripes?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    It's nice having the roof white (or colour matched), but so much easier to leave it black.
    In hindsight, as you know, I would've probably just thrown some black on it and called it a day....

Exhaust!

Well I spent the last few weekends on making up the exhaust...

Plan is to run a flex join on the end of the Nitro Dann downpipe which will then mate via a V-band to the rest of the exhaust. The exhaust itself will consist of a hotdog shortly after the V-band, and then a muffler at the rear. I would run less mufflers if I could, but noise restrictions are an issue.
    I started by tacking the whole lot together with the MIG. The slip in fitment for the likes of the muffler and the v-bands make welding easier.
    However, there is a huge gap around the hotdog ends which made welding those up a bit of a challenge.

Mocking up exhaust tip designs... This upturned style was one concept which got scrapped very quickly. :P
    Notice however, I have angled the rear muffler upwards to make sure there is reasonable room for any rear underfloor work/diffuser.

To get the muffler where I wanted it, the boot had to go.

Saved about 3.5kg or roughly 7lbs. Not that heavy In the grand scheme of things, but every gram helps.

Fast forward a week and I spent a morning welding everything up properly. Given this is just old fashioned mild steel, I decided to paint it for a bit of added weathering/longevity. I found this white exhaust paint at the paint shop and figured it would generate some questionable looks...

Close up of one of my less sh*tty welds… Actually, lap joint of the v-band was reasonably easy to weld.

Also notice the huge fat hangers I’ve used. They are bolted to the car with round rubber bushes, much stiffer than a traditional hanger, but not completely solid. Hopefully they are sufficient to keep things sturdy yet not cause any metal fatigue type issues. I might need to cut some metal out of them, they do look a bit heavy.

And, last job was to try keep some of the heat out of the cabin/gearbox/flat floor... So I’ve wrapped it all in the DEI titanium stuff. This used up most of a 50 inch length roll (I think it was 50 inch).
    I used this stuff on the last exhaust (pre-turbo 2.5” dia zorst) and it seemed to work well.

Next time I’ll hopefully get back to finishing the rest of the roof.

When is the next page going to start? It's a long way to scroll down.
    VN SS

Sometimes I wonder who let the lightyear in here.
    Then I realise the lightyear owns about 32 different V8 commodores... the bread and butter of PF.

What would I know, owning 4-banger jap crap.

Enjoying the updates and seeing the build come together

Reduced Mass Makes The Car Faster

Sorry it's been a while since the last update... but plenty of stuff has been happenning.
    So following from my removal of the boot floor (to make room for the exhaust), I continued the work with the grinder and cut out the remainder of the boot floor, that being the parts either side of the main frame rails in the boot where the battery usually lives on these cars.
    In theory I could probably cut the frame rails out also, however, I thought it would be good to keep them for now, at least until the wing mount is worked out.

The other section I removed was the piece where the boot hinges usually bolt to, which lives between the passenger compartment and the boot area.

Not satsfied, I kept going with the grinder and took out the multiple layers of steel that lived above the rear wheel arches. There are about 4 layers of sheet metal here.
    Sometimes it took a few passes with the grinder to take a layer off at a time to get the the next layer underneath.
    And so many difficult hard to reach spots.

So much grinder dust and steel... and not looking forward to the cleaning that I will need to do.

The car is so much more open now, and the rear so easily accessible from the cabin.

While all external metal is still in place, you can really see how much of an 'airy' feel it has now.
    I just wish I could shrink the fuel tank hump down now as it seems like a big lump in the way of what could be a big flat area.... MX-5 ute perhaps?

While I was on a roll, the seat mount hump thing on the drivers side of the car was drilled out and removed as the seat now bolts into the cage.

You can see the dash from the boot :P That's it for now....

You could have just bought my MX5. Once the fuel hump is gone, it will be the same. You can weld aluminium now, so may as well make two tanks that sit under the floor height. I need one.. You need to make a wing soon.
    VN SS

Definitely need a new wing.

I should also add, in case you missed it, we've had a few interesting events around Melbourne recently which I managed to get the video camera out for.
    Cars and Coffee 2016 at Sandown Raceway and Mazvember 2016 - check out the videos below

Also, a blatant plug for my youtube channel. If you like various things MX-5/Miata/cars you should probably subscribe :P https://www.youtube.com/bbeavis

Cars and Coffee 2016 at Sandown Raceway

Mazvember 2016

Sometimes I hate doing this stuff

So some idiot cut a bunch of holes in my car and now I have to fill them back up.
    So... bust out some CAD. I think the pictures say it all here.

The side sections need a slight kink about 3/4ths of the way along.

The sides will be mounted permanently, the middle section however will be bolted in for removal to make for easy access to... stuff?

The middle section has a kick up at the rear to meet the rear of the boot.

The carboard templates will be replaced with fibreglass panels weighing about 1/8th of the steel it replaces.

Oh by the way, take it from me, safety should always come first... my index finger had a close call with the grinder cutoff wheel because of the awkward cutting that was necessary.... so please always take care!

Don't throw the cardboard away.

A pity you didn't have this going for the MX5 Sprint day at Winton last weekend, would have been good to meet you and see this in action.

Quote Originally Posted by ENGINR View Post
    A pity you didn't have this going for the MX5 Sprint day at Winton last weekend, would have been good to meet you and see this in action.
    Soon i hope!