Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2005 Dodge Durango

Quote Originally Posted by bv View Post
    ah my durango-owning brother, sorry to hear it got binned. Glad there were no injuries.

mine is still my daily, more or less, going pretty strong. can't believe the low cost to buy these, its a lot of car. I'm still fairly astonished at how well it's built. Mine has no rattles, everything works, and its s 5.7L hemi 4x4. I just recharged the AC due to the retarded heat here (in the middle of an 8-day stretch of 100+ every day)
    It was such a great vehicle, that all I'm looking for to replace it is another Hemi engined second generation Durango (2004-2009). I'm being picky, and things like the factory Class IV tow package, skid plates, and heavy duty options are a no compromise must have. I'd like a 3.92:1 axle ratios, as that gives the best options for towing, but if I have to compromise, I'll be willing to lose about 1000lbs towing capability and take one with the 3.5 something ratio axles.
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Nance (35+ years in US Intelligence)
    Coincidence takes a lot of planning!
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited (mini van on steroids)
    2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7

Quote Originally Posted by bv View Post
    ah my durango-owning brother, sorry to hear it got binned. Glad there were no injuries.

mine is still my daily, more or less, going pretty strong. can't believe the low cost to buy these, its a lot of car. I'm still fairly astonished at how well it's built. Mine has no rattles, everything works, and its s 5.7L hemi 4x4. I just recharged the AC due to the retarded heat here (in the middle of an 8-day stretch of 100+ every day)
    There is a stigma about anything from Chrysler I think. Especially from the Diamler rapeage period.

It's now 6 months since nopics ran the Durango off the road, and I'm still searching for the right vehicle to replace it. Nopics is a bit panicky that Winter will arrive before I find a suitable vehicle and she'll be battling blizzard conditions in her Saturn.

At the moment I'm in discussion with a dealer near Montreal about a one owner 2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited on his lot that has EVERY option I want plus a few that I don't exactly need but are nice to have. The Aspens are upmarket Durangos with a different grille, taillights, a ribbed bonnet, more exterior chrome accents, and fancier interior trim (although I'm not fussed with the "Madrona Burl" woodgrain finish on the steering wheel, parts of the dash dash, and some interior panels).

Price is $4,995 plus taxes. It's a high mileage vehicle, but it's still lower mileage than the Durango was.

Name:  $_27.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  54.2 KB Name:  $_27.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  50.2 KB Name:  $_27.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  35.3 KB

The 2005 Durango had 17" wheels, this one has the factory 20" wheels. I'm not sure if I like this feature as they may be even more susceptible to damage on the potholed roads in the area.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Surely 17" wheels and snow tyres are but 20 wheel nuts away?
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Full set (5) 17" Black rock steel wheels with studdable Blizzak W965 are about $1600 from tire rack,

Could probably pick something similar for less locally.

17s or 18s with snow tyres is the plan. Fortunately either Jeep or RAM truck wheels fit, and there's lots of them around in the wrecking yards.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Making plans to look at (and most likely buy) the Aspen on Thursday of next week (Sept 7). Waiting for paperwork to be emailed to me today to put a holding deposit on it.

It's a 1500 km road trip each way to the car yard in Montreal. Considering that it's a 3 hour drive to the airport from home and that's heading in the right direction to continue on to Montreal, it works out far cheaper to rent a car and drive all the way. My biggest hassle at the moment is finding a local agency of a car rental company that will let me do a one-way-rental to Montreal. If I can't get that to work, then I may have to fly.

Could have been worse. Last week, nopics was pushing me to look at vehicles in Alberta (they'd be rust free as they don't use salt on the roads there). My calculations were that bringing a Durango back from Calgary would take 4 days and cost a minimum of $800 in fuel (it's a 5000km one way trip) and by the time costs were added airfare to get there, a rental to get around, accommodation, and road food, I'd be adding at least $1800 onto the cost of the vehicle. If none of the Alberta vehicles panned out, then it'd be a waste of at least $800 in airfares alone (if I got the cheapest fares available, but more likely it'd be over $1,000 for flights that would work). She couldn't see that adding $1800 to the available funds for a local or near local vehicle would be a better option. I'd already decided that Ontario was as far as I'd go for a vehicle.

It appears that the yard is selling the car on consignment for a friend and the owner's wife was one of the counter staff at the service department of a Chrysler dealership in Quebec City, and bought from there and ALL the servicing since new was done by the dealership.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

The Aspen sounds like it should be decent then, well about as decent as a D-C era Chrysler product can be
    If ever there was a late model car I'd expect to see fake wood on the side it would be the Aspen, as an aside I find it rather amusing that one of the most expensive Chrysler models at the time had the same name as one of the cheapest Dodge models from the dark days. Makes you wonder who was doing the names at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    The Aspen sounds like it should be decent then, well about as decent as a D-C era Chrysler product can be
    I didn't like the MB era Chrysler/Dodge vehicles until I started driving them. The bigger models drove very nice due to all the MB underpinnings. The V6 engined Chrysler 300 and Dodge Chargers that I'd rented were nice to drive (even if they did feel a bit claustrophobic due to the small windows). About all I disliked about the Charger was the operation of the gear selector, but I suspect after a few months ownership, it'd be second nature. I drove an equivalent specification Ford just 2 weeks after driving the Charger, and they were chalk and cheese (and the Charger was about 25% more economical on the highway)

If ever there was a late model car I'd expect to see fake wood on the side it would be the Aspen, as an aside I find it rather amusing that one of the most expensive Chrysler models at the time had the same name as one of the cheapest Dodge models from the dark days. Makes you wonder who was doing the names at the time.
    The fake wood trim is only on the interior, and it's a feature I hate. On the Durango, the top spec Limited model had a silver paint finish around the entertainment system and air-conditioning controls, while the lower spec SLTs got a fake wood trim that looked nasty. There are stories that MB purposely made the Chrysler interiors look pretty bad so there was no way the Chrysler models could ever compete with the MB models.

My old Durango was very nice to drive, even though it had had a pretty hard life in the hands of at least 3 previous owners.

As for the Aspen, all the photographs of it that I've seen show none of the rust problems that usually inflict the bodywork 2nd gen Durangos. It'll all depend on how it looks underneath. However, looking at the pristine state of the interior (I haven't seen another Durango that doesn't have some level of damage to the leather and plastic mechanism covers of the front seats), it looks like this vehicle has been babied and I'd be surprised if it didn't receive a yearly rust inhibitor treatment.

Looking at the list of options the vehicle was ordered with, and comparing that with the 2008 Aspen sales brochure, I can't find a single Canadian market option it wasn't ordered with.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Hamburger with the lot. I always find it funny how the list an option package and then list the items in the package as separate line items. My Voyager was the same, listed the AU required equipment as well as the tow package and all the bits part of it, HD coolers for engine, trans and power steering, HD 4 wheel disc brakes, full size spare etc

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looks at Photo - Ohh he's getting a Grand caravan. Wait Aspen - What the frek?

Can't believe how cheap cars are used up there. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Looks at Photo - Ohh he's getting a Grand caravan. Wait Aspen - What the frek?
    There are advantages in a machine with grunt that at first glance appears to be nothing more than a mini-van. It tends to get ignored more than a Suburban or a Tahoe. People refer to the 2nd Generation Durangos (and the badge engineered Aspens) as "Mini-vans on Steroids". Pretty much they're a Grand Caravan style body dropped on top of a modified Dakota chassis. Best of both worlds although the very short bonnet (most of the engine is under the extremely deep dashboard) does make maintenance for stuff like plug changes (there's 16 plugs on the Hemi), just a bit inconvenient. While the rear doors don't slide, they do open almost to 90 degrees, so entry and exit in the back is really good.

Can't believe how cheap cars are used up there. Crazy
    It's taken me a while to find one with the options I wanted at that price. If I didn't mind doing a bit of body work (rust mostly), I could pick up a 2006 Hemi Durango SLT for $1400.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

There is something to be said about my 2013 300. Easiest car I have ever serviced. My 70 Mustang included.

Oil change is 15 minutes. Filter on top. Changed drive belts and a pulley, again 15 minutes. Top stuff.

In the fact that you say the dash covers much of the engine, you sure about this mate?

Also you mention rust, have you seen the thing in the flesh and taken it for a spin?

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    There is something to be said about my 2013 300. Easiest car I have ever serviced. My 70 Mustang included.

Oil change is 15 minutes. Filter on top. Changed drive belts and a pulley, again 15 minutes. Top stuff.

In the fact that you say the dash covers much of the engine, you sure about this mate?
    Of course I'm sure. I owned a 2005 Durango for a year. The leading edge of the cowl panel in front of the windscreen is pretty much on the axle centre line.

Here's a couple of pics of the Durango engine bay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_01_29_1459.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	101527 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_01_29_1460.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	101528

Also you mention rust, have you seen the thing in the flesh and taken it for a spin?
    That's the unknown. If I'm not happy with what I find when I get there, I get back on the bus and come home. All I will have lost is about $250 in bus fares and about 2 days of my life. Decided against a one way rental as there's a really high drop off fee, so the $100 or so there and back rental, turns into an over $400 one way rental. It was cheaper to fly than do a one way rental.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Bought the 2008 Aspen yesterday and drove it home. I'll start a new thread.
    Last edited by JamesB; 09-09-17 at 02:18 PM.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12