Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Dodge Durango

Did a long day trip yesterday to Moncton Airport (across the border in New Brunswick) and back (1139 km total). This was a trip we hadn't planned on making. The animal rescue transport group I volunteer with had a light aircraft due to fly into Moncton airport on the weekend with 2 animals on board. We had a driver lined up to meet the aircraft and pick up one of the two animals he was bringing on the flight so it could be delivered to the adopter (about 90 km on our side of the Moncton airport). The other animal was being picked up by a trainer. Hurricane Matthew screwed up that plan and the flight was delayed until yesterday. Our planned driver couldn't meet the flight due to work commitments and the trainer also couldn't do the delivery run with the other animal, so night before the flight, it was decided that we would do the run.

Had plenty of time to get there and back, so drove gently all the way to see what sort of economy I could get out of the truck. The trip included about 20 km of in town driving, about 200km of twisty back country roads (70 and 80 km/hr limits), and the rest was highway (mix of 2 lane highway with 100km/hr limit and divided with a 110 limit) which was mostly driven with the cruise control doing the speed control work. Didn't exactly loaf along, but also didn't push it hard. The average speed was a shade under 88km/hr. Came back with a fuel consumption figure of 13.1 lit/100 for the trip which I'm pleased with.

Now for the next test. I suspect that my fuel sender is telling the gauge management system and trip computer that it's empty when there's still about 20 litres in the tank. The Durango is s supposed to have a shade over 100 litre tank, but I've never managed to get any more than the low 80s into it when both the gauge and the DTE display says it's empty. As the DTE display and the fuel consumption display also get their data from the fuel tank sender, they are also getting the wrong information. Fuel gauge is currently on the E stop and the DTE display hit 0 about 4 km from home last night. All I've got over the next couple of days is 20 km of country back road trips each way to/from work and I've got a 20 litre can of fuel in the car, so I'm going to drive it until it runs out of fuel.
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Nance (35+ years in US Intelligence)
    Coincidence takes a lot of planning!
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited (mini van on steroids)
    2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7

Probably intentional that it holds a bit of reserve.

20 litres is a lot of reserve though. <5 maybe. Generally not a good idea to let tanks run dry though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    Probably intentional that it holds a bit of reserve.
    From the service manual:
    Each time the fuel level sense input to the cluster indicates the fuel tank is about ten percent full or less for ten consecutive seconds and the vehicle speed is zero, or for sixty consecutive seconds and the vehicle speed is greater than zero, the fuel gauge needle is moved to about the one-eighth graduation on the gauge scale, the low fuel indicator is illuminated
    With a 102 litre tank, the 10% low fuel indication trigger point should occur when there's 10 litres left in the tank, at which point there should be around a 60-70 km range with the fuel left in the tank. My "back of the envelope" calculations tell me that the low fuel indication is coming on at around the 25% fuel remaining point which should be good for about 160-170 km. At the moment, I've driven close to 90km since the low fuel light came on.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    20 litres is a lot of reserve though. <5 maybe. Generally not a good idea to let tanks run dry though right?
    If it hasn't run out of fuel by the time I arrive home tonight at about the 110km point, I'll most likely call it quits and dump the contents of my fuel can into the tank. Then I'll do some investigation on replacing the fuel level sender. That's the trouble with buying used vehicles. You never know what shonky repairs a previous owner has done.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Ran out of fuel on the way to work this morning, so that answers that. Got 64 km after the system said the car was empty, so that's about 10 litres "reserve". Low fuel light is coming on at about 16-17% fuel left in the tank. Still a mystery on the actual "usable" capacity of the tank.

Dumped the can of fuel in the truck, turned on the ignition, waited about 10 seconds for the fuel pump to prime the lines, and hit the starter. Fired up as if nothing had happened.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

risky test.

my cd player finally shit itself. the eject button make lots of grinding noises. I'm blaming you and this thread

Quote Originally Posted by bv View Post
    my cd player finally shit itself. the eject button make lots of grinding noises. I'm blaming you and this thread
    And you've got the single CD player. They are incredibly reliable compared to the 6 stacker.

I'm working on a MP3/FLAC/etc player that fits internally in the cavity that the broken CD player currently occupies. I want to hook it up to the CD player controls so everything looks virtually stock. There's enough of the RAQ models out there with busted CD stackers to make this a commercial proposition.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Currently 2 problems on the Durango.

Spring a leak in the cooling system a week ago. There's a metal pipe that fits into the water pump and connects to the heater system that's officially called an "Engine Water Pump Inlet Tube".

It's the black pipe in the above image. They are notorious for getting pin hole sized leaks due to rust. A replacement is CAD$34 +delivery +tax, but can be a right prick to install. For the moment, I have an off cut of some silicone baking sheet held in place over the pinhole by worm-drive hose clamp.

The second problem is that the ABS, Traction Control, and Cruise Control have stopped working. My diagnostic scanner tells me that the right rear wheel speed sensor has stopped working. I suspect that the pins in the plug and socket for the sensor at the brake backing plate has some corrosion. Feeling around the back of the socket mounted in the brake backing plate, it appears that sometime in the past, some bastard has removed the waterproof socket cover and the connectors are open to the elements, so corrosion is a good bet (probably done by the place that replaced the backing plates in February). As soon as the weather fines up (been pissing down for most of the week), I'll have a look. If the sensor has failed, a replacement is about $22, and I'll order both the sensor and the cooling system pipe at the same time to save on shipping.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Looks like the Durango is no more. Nopics ran it off the road and took out a power pole. Chassis looks straight, but most of the right side from the bumper to the back of the rear doors is stuffed. The right front alloy rim has a few chunks out of it and the exhaust from the cat back is damaged beyond repair. I'll talk to the insurance company tomorrow but I'm expecting them to write it off.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

I'd been missing these updates for some reason. Just had a read, pity !!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

She's alive, and other than a rope burn from the seat belt and a bit of bruising on one knuckle from hitting something on the dash, she's uninjured. She appears to have hit a pothole at the edge of the road which unsettled the vehicle, and it went off line, then she thinks she hit the accelerator instead of the brake peda ... and kept it flat to the floor until the Durango would go no further.

We really can't afford this at the moment. Her car is laid up with a pin hole brake line leak due to a rust.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Main thing is that your nopics is ok!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Glad she got out of that one mostly okay, could have been much uglier.

Re the fuel tank, my old similar era WK Grand was also very nervous and pessimistic re the range remaining. I think it had an 80 litre tank and would start the carry on with 20 litres left.

Doesn't look too bad, but doing the numbers I can't see them repairing it.

A quick look reveals that the damaged parts are: alloy wheel, tyre ($200), exhaust ($600), windscreen, front and rear bumpers, headlight and fog light, front guard, dash panels, side mirror, two doors (the laminated glass in the front door is broken, but it's holding together), side steps. The big problem is the floor pan is pushed in at the door sills. There appears to be power steering fluid under the rack and pinion, so that doesn't look good.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Main thing is that your nopics is ok!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Glad she got out of that one mostly okay, could have been much uglier.
    I'm thankful that the air bags didn't fire. Both bags are the Takata bags that have been recalled due to the propellent charge becoming dangerous and throwing shrapnel when the vehicle is used long term in a damp environments (like Nova Scotia) ... but we're still waiting for the Dodge dealership to get parts to do the recall.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Battery was near enough to dead due to the lights and ignition being left on while they transported it home, but it's had an hour or so on the charger and it started fine. With no muffler or exhaust behind the cat converter, the Hemi makes its presence known. The spare is on, and tomorrow I'll see if it drives.

I'll see what the insurance people say tomorrow. My worry is the damage to the floor pan. If that can be popped out, we've found a possible source of donor parts (same colour, 2004 model, but with brake problems) for $800 so we are making inquiries.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

That's definitely a write-off.

Just spoke to the insurance company, and from my description of the damage, they they think it will be declared a total loss. They're sending an assessor out in the next day or so to do an inspection, but the indication is that all we should expect is a settlement cheque.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

WE have made the decision that if the insurance company writes it off, we'll be looking for a matching specification 2nd Generation Durango with a Hemi (2004-2009). Anything from 2006 onwards with a Hemi will have Dodge's version of "Displacement on Demand" so the economy on the highway will be much better. Finding one with the factory heavy duty towing option will be a bit more difficult. On a related issue, while searching for the access to operate the spare tire winch, I found the "still sealed" package with the accessory cable for installing an electric brake controller. Not much use now.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

There's a lot more power steering fluid on the driveway under the car today. Crawled under and had a look, and the cast alloy housing of the rack and pinion is split open.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

I didn't realize you were 2 hours from Halifax! I really want to get to that neck of the woods some day, you can fly direct to Halifax from Boston pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I didn't realize you were 2 hours from Halifax! I really want to get to that neck of the woods some day, you can fly direct to Halifax from Boston pretty cheap.
    We're 3 hours by road from Halifax. 2 hours by road will almost get you to Digby. We're about 50 minutes further on from Digby.

Another option might be to consider using the ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth. About 2 hours by road to Portland from Boston, the high speed cat does the run to Yarmouth every afternoon in Summrt, and it's about 45 minutes from Yarmouth to our place.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Insurance assessor just turned up snd looked at the Durango. He was surprised that the air-bags didn't go off. His comment was "you'll be going shopping for a replacement car". I should get a call in a couple of days with a settlement offer.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Insurance assessor just turned up snd looked at the Durango. He was surprised that the air-bags didn't go off. His comment was "you'll be going shopping for a replacement car". I should get a call in a couple of days with a settlement offer.
    Might be time to take anything off the car that you might want in the future?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Might be time to take anything off the car that you might want in the future?
    Already started.

The 1 year old battery's already been swapped for one that is on its last legs. As I plan to get another second generation Durango, things like the "optional" factory transfer case and fuel tank skid plates and recovery fittings will be handy. Just about to swap out the LED bulbs I fitted in the tail lights and replace the near new ignition switch for the worn out one that was in the truck when I got it (and was the cause of all my "mystery battery drains"). Another Durango of about the same vintage will have a similarly worn switch, so having a new replacement ready to go will be useful. There's also about $50-$60 worth of fuel in the tank that they're not getting. Other than the optional floor mats, there's not much else I can remove.

When the insurance company calls to make an offer, I'll ask about the CD player that's got 6 CDs in it that won't eject since the crash. Just 4 screws and the whole player pops out.
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Glad Mrs B is ok, could've been worse

What cd player? Nah, it's been dead for ages so I ripped it out.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitephyre View Post
    Glad Mrs B is ok, could've been worse
    Could have been far worse if she'd hit the pole front on. Although, it does look like she was traveling a bit sideways when she hit the pole.
    What cd player? Nah, it's been dead for ages so I ripped it out.
    Unfortunately, the assessor took a full set of photographs ...
    James

1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12

Ahh, drifter! Bummer on the stacker, I'd say they'll let you try to get the cds out... hopefully.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.