Thread: 4WD Chat Thread

So good
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Keen for one after the forester dies

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Trying to convince the nopics that she really needs one. Like a bowling ball with Homer written on it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

I think they killed it with the Jimmy redesign. Every person who I've spoken to about it loves the styling.

Didn't know they came in a sandy taupe sort of colour, that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    I think they killed it with the Jimmy redesign. Every person who I've spoken to about it loves the styling.

Didn't know they came in a sandy taupe sort of colour, that's cool.
    I kind of want to do the mini defender kit on it that has been released and confuse the fuck out of people on family trips (they all have defenders).
    But stock they look so good.

Yeah that desert boot brown is win.

Yeah looks like a good rig. 20hp extra, good looks, ladder chassis, live axles front and rear, slight bigger tires than the old one and a much better infotainment system and interior. As long as the sway bar is easy to disconnect itís a winner

Wait around a year for the hype to settle down and it should be good buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Is much nicer inside.

manual looks fun. what would be the box of choice? auto likely more useful everywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    manual looks fun. what would be the box of choice? auto likely more useful everywhere?
    Personally I was a bit disappointed in the 4speed auto. They could have easily used the 6 speed that the brz uses, as Suzuki being a traditional Japanese company uses aisin as their gearbox supplier. As it stand I think manual is the box of choice.

Still looks like a great car

Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

$30,000 ??
    Is it really worth that much ??

4WD Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    $30,000 ??
    Considering they canít make them fast enough to fill the orders I would say yes.

Name another vehicle with part time 4x4, proper low range low that do most trails in your typical off-road park for even close to 30k?

Last edited by vet 180; 15-12-18 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    This video really shows the weakness of the stock swaybars. The really need to be disconnected to get the full advantage of the vehicle and suspension design. I hope they are just as easy to disconnect on the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    Personally I was a bit disappointed in the 4speed auto. They could have easily used the 6 speed that the brz uses, as Suzuki being a traditional Japanese company uses aisin as their gearbox supplier. As it stand I think manual is the box of choice.

Still looks like a great car

Cost savings I reckon. It sounds like apart from the engine the rest of the driveline is carried over from the previous model, the cost of going the 6 speed is probably hard to justify given it's low takeup rate. I wouldn't be overly surprised if they add the 6 speed in a couple of years though.
    $30,000 ??
    The previous one was $20k when launched 20 years ago, and was creeping up the $30k recently.

A Wrangler, which is the only other SWB live axle 4wd is a touch over 40k. So I don't think 30k for the Jimmy is too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Cost savings I reckon. It sounds like apart from the engine the rest of the driveline is carried over from the previous model, the cost of going the 6 speed is probably hard to justify given it's low takeup rate. I wouldn't be overly surprised if they add the 6 speed in a couple of years though.

The previous one was $20k when launched 20 years ago, and was creeping up the $30k recently.
    Yeah I agree cost saving is the reason. I guess most people order manual anyway so that becomes the focus.

I also think there will be a few specials and the price will come down after the initial hype is over. At the moment the list of preorders globally exceeds what they can make for a long time. England has a lot of pre-orders in and here in Dubai they asked for 200 cars before December and wonít receive a single car before April (just as the off-road seasons ends). So trying to get a bargain deal now wonít happen for a while.

The funny thing is I rememeber when the previous model was released here the dealers were actually pretty happy to do deals. Alot of die hard Sierra fans were not happy that the Jimny was so different to the Sierra.

Considering they canít make them fast enough to fill the orders I would say yes.

Name another vehicle with part time 4x4, proper low range low that do most trails in your typical off-road park for even close to 30k?

yeah this. i have no desire for large heavy 4wd. defender 90 is already too bulky. this will do just fine.
    The funny thing is I rememeber when the previous model was released here the dealers were actually pretty happy to do deals. Alot of die hard Sierra fans were not happy that the Jimny was so different to the Sierra.
    yeah i think they knocked it out of the park with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Anyone in Melbourne or Brisbane have a set of dead (knobs burned off) max trax or similar they want to offload? I need a set for garage access

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    A Wrangler, which is the only other SWB live axle 4wd is a touch over 40k. So I don't think 30k for the Jimmy is too bad.

Fair enough,
    I just always looked at them as a $15,000 cheap & cheerful 4WD - that the die-hards spent another $15,000 on mods to make them capable
    But, if people are lining up to to pay $30,000 - then I guess that's good value in their eyes, I just could never see it

I see a few brand new 2017 Build models that the dealers can't sell for $23K,

This looks interesting
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...16699111/?Cr=1

4WD Chat Thread

Fair enough,
    I just always looked at them as a $15,000 cheap & cheerful 4WD - that the die-hards spent another $15,000 on mods to make them capable
    But, if people are lining up to to pay $30,000 - then I guess that's good value in their eyes, I just could never see it

I see a few brand new 2017 Build models that the dealers can't sell for $23K,

This looks interesting
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...16699111/?Cr=1
    Yeah a good time to pick up a new 2017/18 at a good price.

Regarding the link, looks cool, but not my style of jimny. Too much weight, donít like 17ís, too high. The thing about the jimny is their advantage is they weight half to a 1/3 most the cars they can wheel with. They will never be the best tourer, there are better options so when you start building th towards that goal you are compromising their biggest advantage.

So that particular car has:

Unnecessary heavy steel front bar that doesnít look to hold a winch. It also doesnít look to have skid plates which is more important than a steel bar...

Unnecessary steal rear bar, with even more unnecessary heavy rear swing away carrier.

Unnecessary heavy and tall steel roof basket. A light weight alloy, low flat rack that does away with the stock roof rails would be much better

Unnecessary rock sliders that take away from ground clearance and add weight.

A brush bar that sits closer to the vehicle than the furthest point of the stock guard.

17ís that make the vehicle less capable

Too much lift that would most likely make the vehicle less capable off road. It also still looks to have the sway bar on so will articulate like crap.

In saying all that, it is a very good looking vehicle, just not how I would build one.

Last edited by vet 180; 15-12-18 at 03:32 PM.

I bought a new jimny in 2013 and it was $17K with $1000 cash back, the new one for 30 would need to be a massive leap forward to justify the price.
    For only 25% more money you can get a wrangler which is a huge improvement over a jimny in every aspect.

I got rid of my jimny after weighing it and finding out it was over GVM with no passengers Or luggage.
    It only had a small bar with winch, rear bar, towbar, roof basket, 16x8 rims and 30% gearing reduction. With me sitting in it it was 10% over gvm.
    That and I couldnít get over 250km from a tank, still drove it around Australia twice sitting on 5500rpm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80CBAB23-2E69-43D1-AF09-EC0310101EFF.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	109597  
    Last edited by Shep; 16-12-18 at 07:25 AM.

4WD Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I bought a new jimny in 2013 and it was $17K with $1000 cash back, the new one for 30 would need to be a massive leap forward to justify the price.
    For only 25% more money you can get a wrangler which is a huge improvement over a jimny in every aspect.

I got rid of my jimny after weighing it and finding out it was over GVM with no passengers Or luggage.
    It only had a small bar with winch, rear bar, towbar, roof basket, 16x8 rims and 30% gearing reduction. With me sitting in it it was 10% over gvm.
    That and I couldnít get over 250km from a tank, still drove it around Australia twice sitting on 5500rpm.
    To be fair I think there are many patrols and land cruisers in the same boat as you were. But with the jimny it doesnít take much to get them over as they are so light to start with. And extra weight you really feel also.

I weighted up the bar work and winch I wanted on my 2015 model and it ended up being over 10% of the vehicle weight extra. Instead I opted for a 3kg hand winch and bumper that is lighter than stock. When you add a 50kg steel par to a 2.5tonne patrol you barley notice, but add a 50kg steel bar to a jimny and you do.

At 25% extra only for the wrangler you so start to consider it, but I think once the hype is over and Suzuki has backfilled preorders they will come down to mid 20ís at least.

Last edited by vet 180; 17-12-18 at 02:15 AM.

I'd be curious to see how many people actually cross shop the Jimny with the Wrangler though. I suspect if you could afford the Jeep you wouldn't be looking at the Suzuki, $13k is a pretty decent price difference.
    I'm also wondering where the JL will be priced at. Will Jeep keep the pricing roughly the same as the JK or will we see a $50k price of entry?

c'mon - that front bar would put it over the GVM
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ