Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 4WD Chat Thread

Went for a bash today, bit rainy in Perth and before the Powerlines gets all smashed up with the winter weather approaching.
    Some chap came up to me when we were airing down, just bought himself a VDJ Wagon, young fella with his Mrs and kids so he tagged along as very inexperienced.

Show him some easy lines, get him to try one rock ladder (a rock step after rock step after rock step) but no lockers so just slides around.

Show him another line that should have been easy for me, but diffed out on the front, which dragged the rear the wrong way, and then all crossed up, so I had to winch out

Pictures never show the true story, this looks bullshit easy.

Nice 80 dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

I took some pics, and vids today, looks like in driving along a flat road, rather than scrabbling up in 4l
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

Yeh pictures and movies never do justice.
    Thanks Punanny, it's just run in, straight as an arrow but scratched to shit... polish is my friend

I actually managed to get just under 10l/100 on my last economy run. No major change in driving style, just whacked in a couple of bottles of injector cleaner and topped it off. Drove to work and back a few times exclusively on the sub-tank, and topped it off after 340ks... Took 31.8l to brim it..

For a 23yr old, 361,500 kilometre old 1-HDT, on its original injectors and practically stock otherwise...... That ain't too bad methinks...
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackfox
    I wanna put you in a dress and hurt you...

Sticking a radio in my jimny and building a full float rear diff with skyline discs. Should stop alright.

Put some 33s on the rocky. Needs body lift to help scrubbing.
    Ideally I'd like some rubber bolt on flares, not the rubber flare from Clark rubber. You can get them in the uk for defenders and stuff but shipping is killer.
    I want co chop the gaurds just short of the rubber flare size as the rocky arch doesn't allow a 33 to fit up in the arch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	91357
    caprice nugget.

Like this
    caprice nugget.

A few of you might have seen this in the build thread already....

The other weekend I took the van out to the Sundown National Park for a long weekend of camping. Pretty fcuking impressed with how it went. We camped at Reedy Creek, which has a pretty decently steep and rough access track.
    Pretty much any real 4WD would do it with out much trouble, but pretty damn impressed that a van with no low range still managed it just fine. I just had to hit it with a bit more speed to keep the engine on boost.

These next two photos are pretty typical of a lot of the access road:

This is a screen cap from the video diving up out of reedy creek. This was probably one of the steepest sections.

And vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCE-...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Datto-Zed; 10-04-16 at 10:55 AM.

A custom high clearance front bar, some sliders and rear custom bar and it'd be a good bit of kit to see all of Australia.

Cruised down into Flea creek for a drive yesterday - was steeper than i expected, LeTroll did fine.. apart from losing the thing that was blocking the O2 sensor hole..

nothing spastic (but mine isn't crazee like 9to9's..) but plenty of 4L down and back up, undulations - did it easy peasy.. had enough power.
    Last edited by GSRman; 10-04-16 at 03:49 PM.

In and out of flea creek is a good drive done it a few times myself over the years

Where is that?

Opens
    Did new front wheel bearjngs, new front rotors , swivel hub bearings, repack CVs, new tie rod ends, new rear wheel bearings and cap bolts, fixed a shitty fuseable link AND vacuumed the 80 series over the last week. Cunt of a job
    Diseasel 80 series with 100 series

Opens
    And new bearings in both the wheel carrier and outboard carrier. Fuck grease

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Stinky sticky job. Don't envy you.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by GSRman View Post
    Sweet will have to check it out!

Banned
    Swivel hubs are my favourite nice simple job that takes up most of the morning.

What is the advantage of a full floating diff on a little 4x4?

End up with wheel bearings bigger then the stock skateboard wheel bearings. On corrugated roads the stock ones fail quickly.
    My tyres are 5" bigger then stock so are pretty hard on bearings
    Last edited by Shep; 10-04-16 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    Same advantages full floating gives on anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    Same advantages full floating gives on anything.
    Which is taking load off the axle and carrier bearings. But if the load is small then it is a non issue I understand that the axles will be fairly slender compared to a truck but the engineers deemed them strong enough for the load the diff will see.

Swivel hubs are my favourite nice simple job that takes up most of the morning.

When you snap an axle doing a zillion rpm and dropping on to a rock, or with a spool etc, your wheel doesn't fall off after it tears the brake calipers from their mounts.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Which is taking load off the axle and carrier bearings. But if the load is small then it is a non issue I understand that the axles will be fairly slender compared to a truck but the engineers deemed them strong enough for the load the diff will see.
    The load isn't small. Total payload is 450kg minus rear bar, front bar and winch, passengers etc and then I jam 200 ltr of fuel and a heap of gold mining stuff into it.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    When you snap an axle doing a zillion rpm and dropping on to a rock, or with a spool etc, your wheel doesn't fall off after it tears the brake calipers from their mounts.....
    This!
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Took both the Wildtrak and Cruiser down south this weekend, family was down there most of the week and I caught up with them.

On the way home tonight, had two roll ons with the two trucks. Wildtrak in 5th and Cruiser in 5th... the Wildtrak won. Then Cruiser in 4th and the Wildtrak in 5th, the Wildtrak won.

It only just wins though, at 115kph the Wildtrak is about 1m in front of the Cruiser. So pretty much I'm sitting at the rear passenger window of the Wildtrak.

On Thursday night I swapped from a GTurbo Grunter Xtreme to a BadBoy so now have to tune it, will run 28-30psi and the appropriate fuel. It's now running 25psi and quite lean at 23:1 at WOT.

Considering the Cruiser is on 35s, has 1t more weight to it, you can't complain too much... although tune and boost and bye bye Wildtrak.

6 months though, and GTurbo will have an upgrade R&D done for the Ranger 3.2, so bring it on

/csb

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    You are forgetting the bearing retainer plate. My ute snapped a axle and drove around for a couple of days as it was mini spool. Axles usually brake at the splines not the hub end.

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    6 months though, and GTurbo will have an upgrade R&D done for the Ranger 3.2, so bring it on

/csb
    14.1@94 bring it on :P

Opens
    Sorted some "simple" indicator issues. 1st one was a rusted and fused lamp in the lh front, no problem, new indicator and lamp.holder, fixed. Next was a non functional led indicator in the Kaymar bar. Easy, go buy new one, bolt it in. Aside from the fact the m6 socket head mounting bolts had rusted in, and with zero access for a grinder/hacksaw/recipro saw/gas axe, etc, it aas the old fashioned hammer and big fuckoff Uncle screwdriver to belt the cunts out. 2.5 hours to do a 15min job. Love 4wds

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    Took both the Wildtrak and Cruiser down south this weekend, family was down there most of the week and I caught up with them.

On the way home tonight, had two roll ons with the two trucks. Wildtrak in 5th and Cruiser in 5th... the Wildtrak won. Then Cruiser in 4th and the Wildtrak in 5th, the Wildtrak won.

It only just wins though, at 115kph the Wildtrak is about 1m in front of the Cruiser. So pretty much I'm sitting at the rear passenger window of the Wildtrak.

On Thursday night I swapped from a GTurbo Grunter Xtreme to a BadBoy so now have to tune it, will run 28-30psi and the appropriate fuel. It's now running 25psi and quite lean at 23:1 at WOT.

Considering the Cruiser is on 35s, has 1t more weight to it, you can't complain too much... although tune and boost and bye bye Wildtrak.

/csb
    What pump are you running out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by T T Celica View Post
    2.5 hours to do a 15min job. Love 4wds
    Story of my life.