Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1344

Thread: V8 Supercar discussion thread

  1. #91
    Wait what? sirhsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Brizvegas
    Posts
    5,654
    Polestar's outta here!

    Volvo Car Group’s performance and motorsport arm Polestar will not renew its V8 Supercars deal with Garry Rogers Motorsport, the company has announced.
    Chief Operating Officer of Polestar, Niels Möller, said in a statement that V8 Supercars no longer fits with the company’s business objectives.
    Polestar, which is responsible for motorsport activities across the Volvo Car Group worldwide, entered V8 Supercars in 2014 in a tri-party agreement with Garry Rogers Motorsport and Volvo Car Australia.
    Originally owned by Christian Dahl, the Polestar brand was bought by Volvo last year, with Dahl’s motorsport business renamed Cyan Racing.
    Volvo Car Australia, which is yet to respond to Speedcafe.com’s approach for comment, is not expected to continue its financial support of the team in the wake of Polestar’s global decision.
    http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/04/...upercars-exit/


    This sucks. I don't know if GRM can continue after this year without Polestar's engine program unless GRM take that in house (if they haven't already)
    Sutherland Shires #1 Escort? is that like being the 4th best prostitute in Kazahkstan?

  2. #92
    Registered User 1uz-zte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Regional QLD
    Posts
    7,760
    Well... fuck. Seems to me this is the beginning of the end of this local touring car C'ship.

  3. #93
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    United Nanny States of Australia
    Posts
    5,356
    The engines will be done by Cyan, previously known as Polestar, if they can do a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  4. #94
    Below Me St00ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    \x/estside
    Posts
    5,793
    http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/04/...-over-v8-exit/

    Volvo Car Australia has confirmed that it will not support Garry Rogers Motorsport next season following a global directive from Polestar.

    ...



    http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/c...racing-volvos/

    Garry Rogers Motorsport says it will continue to race Volvo S60s in 2017 and beyond, despite today's announcement by Polestar.

    ...
    Will be interesting to see how he goes..





    Hmm poor HRT
    Last edited by St00ge; 05-05-16 at 12:04 AM.

  5. #95
    Wait what? sirhsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Brizvegas
    Posts
    5,654

    2016 V8 Supercar season - discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Flibberty Gibbets View Post
    The engines will be done by Cyan, previously known as Polestar, if they can do a deal.
    Was hoping for that to happen but this appears to have been already decided. The Swedes (the ones from Sweden lol) are taking their toys back..

    http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/05/...led-to-sweden/
    After confirmation from global motorsport arm Polestar and Volvo Car Australia that support will be withdrawn from GRM, Cyan Racing has also announced it will sever ties with the team.

    Owned by Christian Dahl, Cyan is Polestar’s official motorsport partner, developing and supplying the 5.0 litre Volvo V8 engine to GRM from its base in Gothenburg, Sweden.

    It was thought that a potential deal between Cyan and GRM would allow the team to continue to race its current equipment.

    Extraordinarily, the Cyan statement says that it will end its technical cooperation with the team and recall the Volvo V8 Supercars and engines to Sweden at season’s end.

    Dahl subsequently confirmed the recall plan to Speedcafe.com, stating that the current race cars and engines are “Cyan Racing property”.

    ”We will continue our technical cooperation throughout the remainder of the 2016 season on the current three-year contract,” said Dahl in a statement.

    “However, Volvo Car Group’s performance brand Polestar is our assignor in motorsport and decisions from this group sets the precedent for our agenda and this means that we will cease the activities with Garry Rogers Motorsport in the V8 Supercars after 2016 and bring back our engines and race cars to Sweden after the season end.”
    Last edited by sirhsv; 05-05-16 at 06:56 AM.
    Sutherland Shires #1 Escort? is that like being the 4th best prostitute in Kazahkstan?

  6. #96
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    United Nanny States of Australia
    Posts
    5,356
    Fuck.

    Volvo does that though.

    Very rare for them to not confiscate everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  7. #97
    Owns a Ferrari BeverlyHillsCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Garage
    Posts
    4,429
    Wonder if Scotty Mac will move elsewhere now, given his contract is up with GRM end of 2016 too.... Poor Moff Jnr... moves to a new team, only for the shit to go down 5 months later lol
    /csh Racing

  8. #98
    Registered User macktheknife2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sandstone Point
    Posts
    605
    Volvo execs obviously blind to what improvements the racing involvement has meant to brand awareness in Oz. Sales peeps will be wringing hands this morning.

  9. #99
    Registered User FLI355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,996
    I'd say Scotty will definitely go to DJR / Penske now.

    It's sad, I liked the Volvo / GRM team, cars, sound, drivers were all different from the run of the mill stuff.

  10. #100
    Registered User Shitbreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,761
    Can anyone clarify to a noob what the future is of v8supercars? Is there any confirmed manufacturer backing after 2017?
    Am I correct in assuming that so far, Nissan are the only manufacturer that hasn't confirmed they are pulling out (that is, have Holden, Ford and now Volvo all confirmed they will not be providing factory assistance after 2017)?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

  11. #101
    Fluent in sarcasm... chew the fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    265
    Looks like they didn't tell Moff or Scott Mc about this...

    http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/05/...led-to-sweden/

    “Polestar advised us at the start of this season that their involvement in V8 Supercars had ceased,” said Barry Rogers in the statement.
    Disclaimer :- this post is satirical and is for entertainment purposes only. !!1!!

  12. #102
    cunt
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,394
    serves them right ..... the V8 Supercar is dead anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

  13. #103
    Owns a Ferrari BeverlyHillsCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Garage
    Posts
    4,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Shitbreak View Post
    Can anyone clarify to a noob what the future is of v8supercars? Is there any confirmed manufacturer backing after 2017?
    Am I correct in assuming that so far, Nissan are the only manufacturer that hasn't confirmed they are pulling out (that is, have Holden, Ford and now Volvo all confirmed they will not be providing factory assistance after 2017)?
    Gen2 comes in next year. Engines do not need to be a v8 hence why the series is no longer called V8Supercars... they dropped the V8 from the name earlier in the week.
    /csh Racing

  14. #104
    Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    At work :(
    Posts
    17,966
    One make series next year?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

    "In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

    "You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

  15. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    27
    Supercars are now on life support it's been a great class since 1993 but it's time to change.
    I think GT3 is the answer.

  16. #106
    Registered User Shitbreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,761
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    Gen2 comes in next year. Engines do not need to be a v8 hence why the series is no longer called V8Supercars... they dropped the V8 from the name earlier in the week.
    Are any of the manufactures actually going to be involved?

    What's the bet we switch to GT3?

    According to Wikipedia, apparently a typical v8supercar costs $450,000AUD without the engine. For just 50k more, you can get a complete Mercedes SLS GT3 or McLaren 650s gt3.
    Last edited by Shitbreak; 05-05-16 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

  17. #107
    Team Chapman Racing TCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,402
    It still provides good entertainment, but it's getting increasingly difficult to see how they can continue on without any manufacturer support. On that, given the size of our market on a global scale, it's easy to see why manufacturers would be reluctant to invest in the series. Not sure how Gen 2 will change things, guess time will tell.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

  18. #108
    Registered User Shitbreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,761
    Anyone else see a BTCC style category running alongside a GT3 style category here instead of the v8s?
    AFAK all the cars that run in the BTCC are available for sale here, so you have relavence here that you might not get in the GT3 category (and if you look back at Australian racing, we've always been into a 'production based' car racing).
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

  19. #109
    Registered User BLO 767's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,275
    The future of a clone series, locally, without the budget that something like NASCAR demands and brings is never going to work, when V8's is already too expensive for most.

    GT3, production-esque, cheaper, factory backing potential, world class comparative. It is the only logical direction IMO.

  20. #110
    cunt
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,394
    bring Group A back
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

  21. #111
    TJzone TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    24,423
    pack of assholes
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

  22. #112
    Compulsive modifier awdmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    pack of arseholes
    Fixed



    I'd pay to go to every BTCC style event I could. I've turned down free pits passes to V8 Supercars.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

  23. #113
    Chrome bumper cunts! Soopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    6,203
    Quote Originally Posted by BLO 767 View Post
    The future of a clone series, locally, without the budget that something like NASCAR demands and brings is never going to work, when V8's is already too expensive for most.

    GT3, production-esque, cheaper, factory backing potential, world class comparative. It is the only logical direction IMO.
    It wouldn't be too expensive if they stuck to the fucking plan they had originally. Factory motors in factor cars, bared out to stop the occupants becoming jam spread in the event of a collision.
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

  24. #114
    Below Me St00ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    \x/estside
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by BLO 767 View Post
    The future of a clone series, locally, without the budget that something like NASCAR demands and brings is never going to work, when V8's is already too expensive for most.

    GT3, production-esque, cheaper, factory backing potential, world class comparative. It is the only logical direction IMO.


    I can't see gt3 being "cheaper" when they have to start running the number/type of races that the v8s do.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shitbreak View Post
    Are any of the manufactures actually going to be involved?

    What's the bet we switch to GT3?

    According to Wikipedia, apparently a typical v8supercar costs $450,000AUD without the engine. For just 50k more, you can get a complete Mercedes SLS GT3 or McLaren 650s gt3.


    Pricing up repair costs after a full season like in the supercars, I can see the carbon bills being very expensive.
    Last edited by St00ge; 05-05-16 at 05:19 PM.

  25. #115
    Below Me St00ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    \x/estside
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopy View Post
    It wouldn't be too expensive if they stuck to the fucking plan they had originally. Factory motors in factor cars, bared out to stop the occupants becoming jam spread in the event of a collision.
    We have that class already, can't see it being the top motorsport category in Australian anymore.

  26. #116
    Chrome bumper cunts! Soopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    6,203
    Quote Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
    We have that class already, can't see it being the top motorsport category in Australian anymore.
    Fucks me why, its fantastic to watch. As is the MuscleCar masters.
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

  27. #117
    Owns a Ferrari BeverlyHillsCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Garage
    Posts
    4,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Shitbreak View Post
    Anyone else see a BTCC style category running alongside a GT3 style category here instead of the v8s?
    AFAK all the cars that run in the BTCC are available for sale here, so you have relavence here that you might not get in the GT3 category (and if you look back at Australian racing, we've always been into a 'production based' car racing).
    BTCC is essentially what our supercars series are... the cars all have the same control suspension front and rear, (exactly the same between the models, the front of the cars are chopped off and the tube frame toca suspension package is bolted to the firewall. same with the rear) and you can choose to develop your own engine or use the toca engine... only difference is their engines are 2l, ours are 5l v8 currently.

    EDIT: here you go:



    Last edited by BeverlyHillsCop; 05-05-16 at 06:08 PM.
    /csh Racing

  28. #118
    Chrome bumper cunts! Soopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    6,203
    Do cunts still end up on their lid every other race in the BTCC?
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

  29. #119
    sweet as cuz Its me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,035
    Fucken 'ell. Future's looking a bit dim tbh. GT3's are shit. I cant relate to no Mclaren. No money in the bank for that shit. At least I could look at second hand Volvos or some such.

    Maybe a BTCC or WTCC coming, but fuck me, none of those cars are what you'd call inspiring. Lets race fleet cars!

    Rant done.
    .

  30. #120
    Owns a Ferrari BeverlyHillsCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Garage
    Posts
    4,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopy View Post
    Do cunts still end up on their lid every other race in the BTCC?
    No, but there is more contact in BTCC, pushing to pass etc..

    Quote Originally Posted by Its me View Post
    Fucken 'ell. Future's looking a bit dim tbh. GT3's are shit. I cant relate to no Mclaren. No money in the bank for that shit. At least I could look at second hand Volvos or some such.

    Maybe a BTCC or WTCC coming, but fuck me, none of those cars are what you'd call inspiring. Lets race fleet cars!

    Rant done.
    WTCC will be the next to go.... they're already wanting to cut costs because they're unable to attract manufacturers/privateers... Give it another year, it'll be gone again... for the second time...
    /csh Racing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •