Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Road/track car: Golf 7 R vs M135i. I need a schoolin'

I have heard precisely fuck all from BMW since ordering. I'm half expecting my car to randomly show up without any warning.

I've gone through the FRACGP Platinum service thing, so am expecting decent pricing. Medfin currently does 4.2% so they'll have to beat that, though.

I'm moving interstate so am getting rid of my M135i.

As much as I love it, I could never buy another one. I am just about giving it away to get rid of it! A bargain new, but considering the value decline I'm not sure it's such a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    I have heard precisely fuck all from BMW since ordering. I'm half expecting my car to randomly show up without any warning.
    I got fortnightly updates from my Delivery Concierge for 6 months.
    Unfortunately they were literally ďwe donít have a confirmed delivery date but will keep you updated as to when we doĒ.

It was more annoying than hearing nothing.

I've gone through the FRACGP Platinum service thing, so am expecting decent pricing. Medfin currently does 4.2% so they'll have to beat that, though.
    I've heard nothing since getting a build week which has since passed nearly a month ago.

Helps me validate my decision to be the arsehole who must pay the absolute minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggah View Post
    I've heard nothing since getting a build week which has since passed nearly a month ago.

Helps me validate my decision to be the arsehole who must pay the absolute minimum.
    BMW should provide the tracking number so you can track the car down the line, onto the ship and each port the ship docks at. They did for mine and I thought it was standard practice.

Screaming banshee
    When I bought my GT4 it was about 8 months between ordering to delivery. I had to chase them up to finalise the order/options and then I heard nothing for 6 months when I got an email saying 'hey, just noticed your car is hitting the docks in a couple of days. Can we have $220k please.'. It was one of the first in aus and the first for the dealership so when it arrived at the dealership I got messages from all my friends saying 'wow, is that your GT4, it's all over facebook', a day or so after they posted it to facebook the dealer decided to tell me.

By contrast when I bought my 86 I got regular updates, the tracking app/website worked well and when there was a (known) delay I was called by the dealer principal apologising that it was going to be a month later than they had hoped. I've learnt that the more expensive the car the worse the dealer service with Lexus being the exception.

Not always the case! I haven't had the opportunity to buy a new Porsche yet But I think the service levels are so dependant upon the actual dealer, dealer principal and staff that it's hard to generalise.

I've had wildly varied customer service from different BMW stealerships, and Audi stealerships also. Had absolutely shithouse service when buying the wife's CX9, to the point where I did the deal in spite of their service, not because of it. When I did finally buy the latest car (Audi) the dealership made a few mistakes, but the actual rep i bought from (corporate) was fantastic, very responsive, communicated brilliantly and sorted any issues / paperwork out within a couple of days turnaround. Like anything I think referrals are key when you find a good person/dealer to deal with!

My apologies to Brisbane BMW, the salesman e-mailed me this morning and let me know my car has just begun its build today. Looks like they only take a day or two to build, then he'll update me when it is loaded onto a ship.

The three month delivery estimate is looking pretty accurate!

It's on a boat. Estimated delivery 5/12, so one week short of three months.

Could probably insist on all the tracking things, but I really can't be bothered. At least I know when to start trying to sell the 86 now.

It's on a boat. Estimated delivery 5/12, so one week short of three months.

Could probably insist on all the tracking things, but I really can't be bothered. At least I know when to start trying to sell the 86 now.
    Your dealer should give you a Vessel name.
    Track it here.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/

I used to piss my nopics off with regular updates (she is not a car person)
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

I was trying not to be that person. But I can see it being a benefit at also pissing off my nopics (it's rounding the cape of Good Hope now), so will ask!

I continue to be very impressed with this car. I had a super sprint last Thursday and found an issue with my e36 a couple of days before so I took the M140 instead.
    It did better than expected and I managed a 68.9 around Barbagallo, for reference my PB in a stripped out e36 M3 on A050s is 67.5.
    The M140 is all stock apart from different wheels, but they have the stock tyres (Michelin Pilot Sper Sports) on them.
    With some tyres, pads and coilovers it would be a pretty handy track car.

Also chucked it on the scale and itís about what I expected. Thatís with no driver, 3/4 of a tank and a baby seat in the back
    Camera battery died for my fastest session but threw one up on YouTube anyway.

Road/track car: Golf 7 R vs M135i. I need a schoolin'

They are a great rig. I did Targa (Tour) in mine this year. Stock off the showroom floor. Kept up with the leaders in the fastest group no prob. Ie 911s, Cayman, R8, RS3 etc.

Better pads, 245s up front and an LSD would make it MINT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by StanM3; 27-10-17 at 12:38 PM.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    I was trying not to be that person. But I can see it being a benefit at also pissing off my nopics (it's rounding the cape of Good Hope now), so will ask!
    I read about someone doing this and was like "hahaha what a fucking nerd"

Then I ordered my car and spent a good 3 months with that page open, mashing the F5 key

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    I read about someone doing this and was like "hahaha what a fucking nerd"

Then I ordered my car and spent a good 3 months with that page open, mashing the F5 key
    Haha same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's floating somewhere off the coast of Mauritania now. Hopefully still in the boat.

It's weird to feel like I'm actually making progress on one of my cars!

Mines on the Elektra, due to hit Fremantle on the 4th nov but likely to be unloaded in Brisbane

Picked up my M140i this morning, loving it so far!

Much better with the manual - feels more like a real car and less like some luxobarge. It'll be interesting to see how it goes in traffic - the clutch is actually surprisingly heavy.

Very stealthy too, particularly when debadged. Have already surprised the hell out of a Cayenne driver who thought the slip lane would be a good idea.

Excellent.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Are the M135/140's stable at high speed?

I was talking to a bloke at SMSP about them, and he mentioned you can really feel them (as for being narrow and small) move around at high speed.
    Panzer Wagen

M-Cars follow the idea that power should be felt & not seen

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post

I was talking to a bloke at SMSP about them, and he mentioned you can really feel them (as for being narrow and small) move around at high speed.
    Yeh they are fine. Had my rental M135 sitting on the limiter (250km/h) all day at Nurburgring. Rock solid. My personal M135 sits on the double ton no dramas.

Itís 1 inch narrower, and 4 inches shorter than my old E46 M3. No difference in handling.
    Last edited by StanM3; 09-12-17 at 09:51 PM.

If the surface is very smooth they are fine.
    I've taken one to SMP down the straight (BMW Experience day with M4 etc) and it did tend to bounce around quite a bit, but only comparing it to my heavy, mushy Taxi.

Always felt stable and secure.

Found this recent video from Wakefield. Hopefully link works. You can see the driver/car bouncing a bit.
    Rear brace underneath may solve some of this though in the 5 door.

https://www.facebook.com/MrNsX/video...2525920677764/
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

I've only mine to 205kmh at Barbagallo but felt rock solid to me.
    Just put a set of Ohlins in it and going back to the track this Saturday.
    I think the coilovers and a bit of camber will make a huge difference.

Whats the biggest tyre you can fit to these things? Without stupid camber or rolling the lips.

Do they like square setups. Could be a track day alternative to the aging e46 m3.

Not much room for tyres.
    I think the biggest you can get on the front is a 245 before you get into stupid camber and rolling/pulling.
    Rear might fit a 265 at a push.

Whats the biggest tyre you can fit to these things? Without stupid camber or rolling the lips.

Do they like square setups. Could be a track day alternative to the aging e46 m3.
    A lot of guys seem to run a square set up in the UK track cars. Same with the Bathurst 6 hour winning M135i. Depends on if you need/want to rotate as I think an 8.5" rim can be found with the same offset that fits front and rear. They just seem to have a lot of low down torque and easily spin the rears when laterally loaded, especially if no LSD. I'm hoping a 265 rear will solve some of this.

Post #70 on page 3 covers it.

End of the day, they are a fucking AWESOME little car. Just too nice at present to mod and destroy...

Can't wait to smash all my Taxi pb's with minimal mods.
    Last edited by nelsonian101; 11-12-17 at 04:06 PM.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.

One week in and still enjoying it, if I had one criticism to make it's that it's just a little bit too civilised - in particular the exhaust is too quiet.

Looking at the Akrapovic exhaust but think that'll just annoy me anyway, would rather spend that money on the Valiant.

Impressively it's already getting 10l/100km in mixed traffic with 300km on the clock and driving without regard to fuel economy. It's beating the nopics' Lexus IS200 which is embarassing.

The manual gearbox, for anyone considering one, is pretty bloody hefty. Hoping the gates loosen up a bit with a bit more mileage on it.