Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IPRA S15 Build

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sgem View Post
    Keep it going Datman, going to be following this with great interest.

Will this be a $$$ build or a budget one?
    More of a budget build to be fair. Two kids, a mortgage and a business to run mean I'm short of cash and time! Plus the young bloke turns 7 very soon, do its go kart time too!

Just means I'll be doing as much of the work myself and trying to be clever with purchasing what is 'needed' instead of what I 'want'.

Quote Originally Posted by the big fist View Post
    I've got 17x9 +22 all around in rp1f. had to roll and flare guards a bit. still rubs a bit in the rear. hope that helps!
    Great to know. I've been concerned the +22 wouldn't fit inside the standard guards, so looking at +35 with spacers as required. The alternative is also the stock R33 GTR rims which are 17x9 +30, and have very good brake caliper clearance.

Brake parts

Picked up some parts for the brake upgrade. Wasn't really hunting for them, but when they came up, I grabbed them.

EVO 8/9 Brembo Calipers front & rear (rears need rebuild, but fronts have been rebuilt already)
    EVO 10 Front & rear rotors (350mm front & 330mm ? Rear). Don't think I can use the rears, but it was a job lot. Will look at running the AlphaOmega dogbones with the 350mm 370Z rear rotor. Will definately be looking at two piece rotors, that EVO rotor is bloody heavy!

Also got the new balance bar set-up delivered with a remote Willwood adjuster.

So after the next track day (23rd June), the car will be back on stands and the booster & ABS system removed and new brakes installed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5863.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	92900

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5867.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	92903

Name:	IMG_5864.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	92901

Name:	IMG_5866.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	92902
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

Track day last night at Barbagallo. Beat my previous best time in this car by 3.2 seconds! Video attached.
    https://youtu.be/QfV5RAFnLEw

Quote Originally Posted by Datman View Post
    Track day last night at Barbagallo. Beat my previous best time in this car by 3.2 seconds! Video attached.
    https://youtu.be/QfV5RAFnLEw
    Nice driving !
    I like the spin vid too !

nice build, good to see a grip S15!

Engine wise if under 2L my vote is for sr20ve - reliable at high RPM's and should match well with the 6spd without breaking it.
    potential there for 200+whp at not huge cost

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    nice build, good to see a grip S15!

Engine wise if under 2L my vote is for sr20ve - reliable at high RPM's and should match well with the 6spd without breaking it.
    potential there for 200+whp at not huge cost
    Pretty much decided to run Over 2L, so will have to look at gearbox options in the future to cope with the torque.

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

Brake update.....Test fitting started.....
    Evo 10, 350mm rotor with evo 9 caliper does NOT fit Enkei rpf1 rims. There is a step in the rim shape that narrows the internal diameter near to the spokes, and that fouls on the calliper.
    Options are....
    1. Find a rim that will fit (looking at the Koya wheeks SF02 & CR TEK - waiting on info from Koya)
    2. Reduce rotor size to fit the Enkei's
    Considerations .......
    Weight - Enkei rims are 7.2kg's - which is very light. By going to a different rim, how much extra unsprung weight will I need to carry?Most options seem to weigh at least 0.5kg more.
    Weight - Rotors - a 320mm two piece Evo 9 rotor from Giro disc weighs approx 8.2kg's while the 350mm weighs around 8.8kg.
    If I go the smaller rotor and and stay with Enkei's, I can save at least 1kg of unsprung weight (dependant upon wheels - maybe more), Question is, will there be any benefit running the 350mm rotor?
    More research to do!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

the 320 should do the job and keep the weight down, its still a pretty big rotor in a lightish car

320mm is more than enough for an s15. Myself and quite a few of the other guys in NSCC are running either evo 9 brembos or gtr brembos. I really don't see a need for 350mm rotors on such a light car unless you have mega power maybe?

I have 378mm Rotors inside my 18x9 Koya rims Mark. You don't need that big on an S15, My GTiR has 320mm Alcon rotors and is around the same weight/Performance as an S15.
    Grab a set of DBA5000 GTR 320mm rotors. R32Vspec/R33/34.
    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

FWIW the rpf1 design changes around the 8" mark. For my old evo 9 i was going to buy a set of 179 but would have had to go to a +15 offset to clear the evo brembos.
    I lack the open mind to believe in a lot of pretend concepts...like magic, or aliens, or reliable rotaries...also unicorns don't exist. Either you can accept those as scientific facts, or one of these Christmas's, you are in for a rude awakening when you discover Santa Clause isn't real

That's good to know also. Cheers.

Nice driving !
    I like the spin vid too !
    There was another spin too earlier in the night that was much faster, but I forgot to put the GoPro on!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Supashake View Post
    I have 378mm Rotors inside my 18x9 Koya rims Mark. You don't need that big on an S15, My GTiR has 320mm Alcon rotors and is around the same weight/Performance as an S15.
    Grab a set of DBA5000 GTR 320mm rotors. R32Vspec/R33/34.
    Thanks Steve. If you can get 378mm in the 18", there's a chance the 350mm may fit in the 17". I hear what you are saying about the 320mm, but if I can get bigger ones in there, I think that would be better.

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by sw1fty View Post
    320mm is more than enough for an s15. Myself and quite a few of the other guys in NSCC are running either evo 9 brembos or gtr brembos. I really don't see a need for 350mm rotors on such a light car unless you have mega power maybe?
    Hey Sw1fty, what kind of track days / Race meeting s are you guys running in? What times are you guys doing?

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

Hey Sw1fty, what kind of track days / Race meeting s are you guys running in? What times are you guys doing?
    Just casual track days, no door to door or competitive stuff. Few of the guys running under 1:40 at Eastern Creek, but its pretty much all Wakefield nowadays with the club.
    I'm lapping around 1:04 at Wakefield and am at the pointy end of the club nowadays. Fair few of the quicker cars have disappeared of late, and back on topic they're running the Evo/GTR Brembo's too. If you're interested check out nissansportscarclub.org, but its a NSW based club and the forum is pretty quiet...

Quote Originally Posted by sw1fty View Post
    Just casual track days, no door to door or competitive stuff. Few of the guys running under 1:40 at Eastern Creek, but its pretty much all Wakefield nowadays with the club.
    I'm lapping around 1:04 at Wakefield and am at the pointy end of the club nowadays. Fair few of the quicker cars have disappeared of late, and back on topic they're running the Evo/GTR Brembo's too. If you're interested check out nissansportscarclub.org, but its a NSW based club and the forum is pretty quiet...
    Awesome, nice times mate. Gut feeling is the 320mm rotor will certainly do the job. Just wondering if a bigger rotor will be worth the extra trouble.

Other option is to give in and go 18" rims.

Hey Mark if you already have the gear you might as well just use it. If you feel like you need to increase diameter you can always do it later on. Suits the budget build spec

Looks like a fun build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Hey Mark if you already have the gear you might as well just use it. If you feel like you need to increase diameter you can always do it later on. Suits the budget build spec
    I only have the callipers at this stage. Still need to buy Rotor, wheels & calliper adaptors (dogbones). Having said that, I am now fighting the urge do go stupid with the brakes, and have settled on the EVO 9 front rotor (320mm) with the EVO brembos. Adaptors are readily available to bolt this combo straight on to the car at very reasonable costs. Tyres are also cheaper, which is something else I am taking into consideration (I still need to be able to afford to run it).

Things are a bit different these days, Last time I went racing there was no wife or kids, so finances aren't quite as free flowing as they used to be...... This wont be a front running car nationally, but will be lots of fun to get back out there and race.

Back to the budget build philosophy and get the car out on track and have some fun.

VW Amarok - Daily
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD

Judging by the amount of cars running Street Cars at the moment, I would think you are not the only one watching the dollars !
    On that note, if you do end up going Z33 gearbox I have a mavericks motorsport adapter setup here brand new. I ended up going Mazworx setup so have it spare if interested !

Your old Stanza is back for sale cheap cheap!! If I wasn't neck deep in this sports sedan I'd be very tempted.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Why would't you just get the GTR Brembo's or GST-T combo and bolt it in on?

Judging by the amount of cars running Street Cars at the moment, I would think you are not the only one watching the dollars !
    On that note, if you do end up going Z33 gearbox I have a mavericks motorsport adapter setup here brand new. I ended up going Mazworx setup so have it spare if interested !
    Will have to do something about a gearbox at some point. Z33 box is on the radar, along with a couple of other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Your old Stanza is back for sale cheap cheap!! If I wasn't neck deep in this sports sedan I'd be very tempted.
    I saw the Sunny up for sale. I was even tempted! The current owner has done a good job developing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Why would't you just get the GTR Brembo's or GST-T combo and bolt it in on?
    Hey Ash, I'm lead to believe the Evo Brembos are a better calliper. Bigger pistons and external fluid bridge amongst other stuff. Just a litte more trouble to fit. There are off the shelf adaptor kits though, so I'm trying to make one of those kits work to keep the costs down. The Evo brembos are also cheaper than GTR ones.

Will have to do something about a gearbox at some point. Z33 box is on the radar, along with a couple of other options.
    As an aside, how do you find it? Heard that it still needs a fair bit of tunnel massaging and the shifter hole needs cutting...

I used Porsche Radial mount Calipers on my GTiR, Cost less than EVO, almost identical but easier to mount.
    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD