Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Everyone needs another car, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Neeek View Post
    Pictures of skidding above, Matt!

Or are you just jealous that you've not had a go in it yet?
    Yes, yes I am jealous...

And will have to see proof of said skids, skid pan skids don't count, by electronic means until I return, which looks to be July now.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

So this thing has been behaving nicely of late, until what John Cleese might term "a damn good thrashing" in the hills the other week when the turbo started sounding more like a supercharger. I investigated:

Unsure what got inside the pod filter, but looking at the filter itself it might've been a bit of rubber from the neck:

So I started investigating a "proper" turbo, rather than a cheap eBay thing. The Yoda man turbo'd one of these BMWs a few years ago and used a Kinugawa unit, so I looked at them. Trouble is, most of the ones I found had a 5-bolt exhaust and T3, and I'd rather a V band outlet because it'll make using my existing downpipe easier. And I need a T4 housing. So I found out that Mamba is an offshoot of Kinugawa and the Internet told me that they are good units. And of course cheaper than a genuine Garrett or a BW or somesuch. So I bought this:

Very similar specs to my cheapie one, with a slightly larger A/R on the exhaust side. But apparently very well made and it should bolt up with minimal fuss - probably just need to get my downpipe sliced and a new V band connector welded on to it, which of course shall be done. So that's in the post to me, will be here in a week or two. Will probably do my flipped manifold at the same time I fit this new turbo, hook up the boost controller and wind in 10psi when it's all bolted down and running well.

Was that the airfilter I gave you a few months back?

#sketchycurse
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Was that the airfilter I gave you a few months back?

#sketchycurse
    Yes. Yes it was. And #sketchycurse better not travel by osmosis..!!

I must've jammed the filter on cock-eyed and torn a bit off unknowingly when I last put it back on, because there's no other way any debris could've got in. Despite the filter having seen a 300ZX in the past there are no holes in it to allow small pterodactyls in.

So a week or two until some new skids then????

You and your obsession with skids... really, come on now, Matt. It's a car with rear-wheel drive, weighs about 1,500kg and has probably north of 200bhp at the wheels. It is certainly capable of skidding. Possibly not smokey big-block V8 American burnouts, though...

Anyway, I got a new filter on it the other day and before I threw the sketchycursed K&N in the bin this afternoon, I thought I'd have a look inside...

Oh look, a small piece of compressor wheel is jammed in there! That's nice. Turns out my new turbo is on backorder, so I'll have to wait a little while longer and in the meantime, drive it mostly off-boost. Sadface.

None of my old cars skid.....

Well one will, but who knows when, and certainly not without an engine.

The Merc, it sort of proceeds rather than accelerates, even dropping it back to first it is still a rather slow old bus.

Sucks that the spinny muffler is in back order, how long until it arrives?

Quote Originally Posted by Neeek View Post
    You and your obsession with skids... really, come on now, Matt. It's a car with rear-wheel drive, weighs about 1,500kg and has probably north of 200bhp at the wheels. It is certainly capable of skidding. Possibly not smokey big-block V8 American burnouts, though...

Anyway, I got a new filter on it the other day and before I threw the sketchycursed K&N in the bin this afternoon, I thought I'd have a look inside...

Oh look, a small piece of compressor wheel is jammed in there!
    Have you noticed the missing bit of mesh to the right of it?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Have you noticed the missing bit of mesh to the right of it?
    And the other missing piece of mesh on the inside that you can't see in the pic? And the shotgun pellet-esque dents in the front metal bit? It clearly bounced around a bit!

New spinny whooshy thing will be here in about two weeks, I'm told.

So the new spinny whooshy thing has landed in Australia, right into the hands of the customs people at TNT.

Despite the fact that the vendor told me in writing that I wouldn't be liable for duty/GST, this has turned out not to be the case. So TNT called me, they wanted their money, and I dutifully paid them. Old mate who sold me the turbo can refund me, or I'll gearbox him.

Should be delivered on Friday, and then I just need a clear weekend when I can rip into it.

"other charges"
    Fucking cunts.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

All these pictures of turbos, so let's see the new one:

Does the spinny thing, nice machining, appears to be leaps and bounds ahead of the eBay model it will replace, which is hardly a surprise. Even came with the V-band fitting for the dump, which the previous one didn't. I doubt it's the same size, so will have to factor in a trip to the exhaust place once installed to put the new round thing on where the old round thing was with electricity and heat.

But yeah, looks pretty good.

So have you fitted this up yet????

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    So have you fitted this up yet????
    Is your Valiant done yet?

Almost.....

And the turbo????

So I still haven't had the chance to get the new turbo on, and now it looks like I won't have much of a chance to do so for a few weeks as I crashed my mountain bike over the Easter break and broke a rib - this make lifting heavy things and moving around under the car very difficult.

Meantime, I started thinking about my flipped throttle body manifold, and tried to figure out how I could mount a bracket for the throttle cable. I have enough length in the current cable, but getting it to snake its way over to the opposite side of the manifold is tricky.

Here's an old pic, showing the stock locations:

As you can see, the cable bracket is mounted to the manifold towards the rear of the car, and the throttle springs on the body are towards the rear of the car with the TPS at the front. In relocating the throttle body to the other side of the manifold, this is now reversed - the throttle springs will be towards the front of the car, and the TPS at the back. TPS wires are just going to have to be extended, which is easy, but the throttle cable is more of a head-scratcher... it will now need to run over the top of the intake towards the front.

So I started using some pieces of cardboard to figure out a bracket, and decided that it it would be best to use the throttle body studs to mount a bracket. Out came some offcuts of alloy, and I started mocking something up. I came up with this:

All of which was fine and dandy. I then went to the car and lined up the bracket... the cable stop position looked like it would work, but the group of return springs on the TB itself were completely in the way of the bracket thing I'd made would never clear any of it. So I did some more head scratching, and figured out that the best way to hook it all up was to try and get a straight shot at the linkage on the throttle body. Trouble is, the manifold is completely in the way. After much pondering, and peering inside the manifold, I realised that the casting was done in such a way that there's a load of meat in between the runners. If only there was a hole in there, then I'd get a straight shot at the linkage...

So I measured how large an opening I'd need to fit the throttle cable and associated clips/stops through (6mm x 12mm in case you were wondering), and then proceeded to grab the drill. My ribs were hurting so I'd have to be very careful lining it all up, but I figured there was enough meat in the casting to ram a couple of holes through between the runners. So I did that.

Need to clean the hole up a bit, but it's 7mm x 14mm, and easily big enough to slide everything through. Should work perfect. Wasn't a fan of drilling into the manifold, but it worked and there are no holes in the actual runners. Great success!

Oh, and I also gave my rocker cover a hit with the crinkled black paint. Here it is mid-painting, and it's now on the car with the fins/letters sanded back so they're raw silver. Looks good.

So when my ribs recover enough for me to crawl around under the car, I'll get the new turbo on, then do the intake swap and re-route my hot-side pipes. It might look something like this:

(this is actually an Alpina B10 twin turbo engine bay, but you get the idea - no intercooler pipes snaking their way around and across the engine)

Hole in the manifold is like manna from heaven. What a sweet option! Bad luck on the ribs - ouch!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

So let that be a lesson to you.....

Sell the mountain bikes and buy more car fasts.....

Aaaaand then?

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Aaaaand then?
    Wednesday afternoon for new turbo fitment at home, Thursday morning drive to exhaust shop for dump pipe modification, hopefully Thursday late afternoon renewed choo-choo and bang/pop/crackle on over-run. Excited.

So is it Thursday yet????

While I recover from The Great Lambo/Sierra Cosworth Swap of The Century as confirmed on Faceballs today, I slapped the new turbo onto what is now being affectionately called The Boosty Bus.

But first, Speedflow. Are you have a fucking laugh? Thirty five dollars for this? And not even in the colour I want (black)? Fuck you, Speedflow. Fuck. You.

(yes, I'll take it thanks, so pretty, mmmm...)

New turbo went on with no hassles. Had to reuse the old oil drain fitting from my previous one (new one as supplied is barbed, I have AN hose on it - only required drilling the bolt holes to 10mm on the old one, then done!), otherwise it went on without incident. Used cone lock nuts this time in an effort to keep the turbo from unbolting itself... we'll see how that goes. In amazing news, the dump pipe lined up pretty much perfect - was NOT expecting that. So I've done the clamps up and it leaks like a sieve, but good enough to get me to the exhaust place tomorrow, new V-band in hand and say "make work, thankyou".

Oh, and no time to do the intake swap today. And I forgot the put the ignition lead cap thingy back on and now I can't because the new turbo is in the way. Oh well...

Onward, to boostville!

Sweet! Boostilicious
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Turbo is on, haven't bothered taking a pic as it looks pretty much like it does above, only the downpipe now attaches properly. The new header wrap was smoking today out and about more than I do, but seems to have calmed down. Always scary when there's stuff coming out the bonnet that shouldn't be!

Car seems to be lazier than before - larger exhaust A/R (gone from 0.82 to 1.0) and larger spinny wheels are probably the culprits, so I'm not really hauling arse until about four grand now. Will chuck my manual boost controller on to see if I can keep the wastegate spring shut a little longer at lower rpm. Or turn the boost up. Or both.

It seems pretty happy though, and the new turbo is far quieter than the old one, not just because the compressor wheel was fucked on the old one - it's just less whooshy. Not complaining though.

Will try and give it a good blast at the weekend to see what the real differences are, pants wise.

less wooshy....

It needs all the wooshies.

It still has them, but they're hunting wabbits...

Fiddling with the MBC just now, blew an intercooler hose clean off. Oops. I was reminded how this thing drove NA for a few minutes..! Hosiery back on now, more testing required on my private road.. Seems the MBC is doing a partial job of keeping the gate shut longer, which means better responsiveness. This is my goal for today.

Some initial testing is complete!

I've installed this little Turbosmart manual boost controller thingy in the turbo -> wastegate line, and set it to minimum. At this stage I don't want more boost than I have in the wastegate (7.25psi), but I did want a little extra bit of responsiveness from the whoosy thing, which previously only starts getting going at about 4,000rpm.

It seems that the little ball and spring inside the controller thingy makes a difference. I tested the gate spring with compressed air at 10psi and without the controller you could hear the wastegate opening as I gradually introduced more and more air into the line. With the unit placed in line, not as much air was escaping through the wastegate as before. So I hooked it up for good, and did a few laps. Seems to work quite well, boost coming on stronger lower down in the rev range, although I don't have a boost gauge so I don't know if I'm spiking a bit - logic tells me that if I am, it'll only be a very small amount, but I'll know for sure once I hook the laptop up and do some runs at full tilt to see what the boost is actually doing throughout the rev range.

Oh, and I need to get some more black hose, don't like the blue one. It's the little things.

Yes. Earth shattering ka-woosh is required. PS I need a run in this thing. Make it happen. Ok bye

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    PS I need a run in this thing. Make it happen
    Be where I am sometime, and it shall be done. But it'll feel slow as fuck compared to some of your toys...

More testing today... more intercooler hose blow off!

Guess the tube wsn't as far up the klacker of the silicone as it should've been, now rectified. I added a few degrees of timing in the 2,000-3,250rpm area off-boost, and that's made a difference again - it's a bit more responsive before the whoosh happens. And with the hoses staying put, we're back in business. I still think in the fullness of time I'll probably have to source a slightly smaller turbine housing, but we're getting along just fine at the moment.

One day I'll have to slap this thing on the dyno and see what it actually makes... meantime I'll just continue to daily it. Have a gentlemen's weekend coming up, so looking forward to giving it a bit of a hustle up some of the better roads north of Brisbane on Saturday. Will GoPro.

The boost t supposedly gives a better transition and less spike

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?