Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyone needs another car, right?

Always loved this model since spending time in Europe years ago and being a passenger in one at 150+ kays on the Autobahn. The noise is like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    I have some cheap wheels that will suit this nicely. 17 x 8 multispoke jobs that I had begun to polish for use on my Amarok (same stud pattern, offset and almost centrebore as BMW gear) but found some others I liked better. $150 and they're yours.
    Thank you, but I'll be sticking with the factory 15s for the moment. I like them.

No pics for the moment, but I'll try and snap some with the proper camera later today.

For those that still care about this little adventure, here’s how it panned out…

Marv picked me up from the airport, we had coffee, we traveled to Mosman to a very posh street. Looked over the car, went for a drive, sold. It was then that I realised that I’d sneaked a $50 note out of my envelope, and only had $2,950. With crushing embarrassment, I asked Marv for $50 and he obliged. Note, Marv is a fucking top bloke, and his debt will be repaid this morning.

Drove off through Sydney traffic from about 1.30pm (fuck, it’s appalling) and got onto the freeway. All good. Stopped just south of Newcastle to fill up, and when I set off again the temp gauge shot up and I had to pull in at another servo. There, I waiting for things to cool down, and then topped the thing up. Test run around the block – still too hot. After nearly 90 minutes, I pulled my phone out and was about to call NRMA, and I thought I’d give it one last shot and actually said “no guts no glory” as I hit the onramp back down the freeway. It was 4.30pm. The Gods smiled at me, and all was fine until I got to my rest stop at Port Macquarie at 8.40pm.

Up again at 6am, topped up the coolant, hit the road. All fine to Coffs, where I filled up again at around 8am and the fucker did the exact same thing. Pulled over. Ran through all the usual things as per the day before, 90 minute wait, said “no guts no glory” again and pulled out. Ran all the way home to Brisbane without skipping a beat. Requires investigsation, obviously, but it's not a head gasket failure - I'm guessing thermostat or perhaps something dicky with the heater valve/tap...

Things that need fixing to get a roady:

• High beam light lens smashed (new one ordered)
    • Bonnet struts are fucked (new ones ordered)
    • Wiper blades
    • Rear tyres (doing that tomorrow)
    • Repair headlining (booked for Thursday)

Hopefully that will allow me to get this thing wearing QLD plates. Naturally, if anything else needs doing, it will be done.

Then we have the next round of things to look at:

• Cooling system flush and diagnosis (will throw a new thermostat and water pump in there as well)
    • Stereo install (nothing flash, just something that works)
    • Recondition leather seats
    • Look for a working secondhand OBC (computer)
    • Why is the clutch pedal so high?

And drive the thing all the time. I know people crap on about how well these cars go, but I was quite unprepared… I absolutely love it. The steering, the brakes, the suspension, the gearbox, the engine (oh my God, I love the engine). Zero fucks given about anyone not liking it, or calling me a knob-end. Unless you've driven one of these things, you are seriously missing out.

And yes, once I’ve lived with it for a bit, its induction will become forced. No rush on that one, but it will happen.

You were cooler when you daily'd the Gal, that is all. High five to you convincing the boss lady to allow another car though....I wondered "how could I do that too" but then realised my other car is a motorbike already, d'oh! I definitely understand the appeal of having something a bit more chuckable though!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

+ 1 on marv being a top bloke - picked up some galaxie long trims for me in wyong, as dude wouldn't post them, kept at his folks house for 2 months , then bought to his work in Sydney , where I collected them - on a trip up from melb.

I managed to get them all wrapped up and in as 'excess size luggage ' on flight back to melb. was wondering if the conveyor belt would be kind - but all worked

and I guess that's a thanks to mr and mrs marv (senior)

Fuck yes. Miss mine even though it was a lowly 525i...still, at least it was a manwell.

Dog bones on the rear suspension been done?

Happy to help PFers, blokes

PS: do the needy, Neeek https://youtu.be/MxxH0lZSYgU

Nice one. Bring it to C&C next month.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Happy to help PFers, blokes

PS: do the needy, Neeek https://youtu.be/MxxH0lZSYgU
    Came here to post this
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Apparently it's had new bushings throughout a few years ago. Certainly feels tight, but we shall see. And yes, will bring to C&C once it gets the QLD plates on.

In the meantime, some glamour shots...

Last edited by Neeek; 20-07-17 at 11:26 AM.

PS - we have encountered our first problem. A key-operated locking wheelnut. Actually, four of them. And no key...

Taking it to a locksmith in the morning who wants to have a closer look. If they can't be removed somehow, no new tyres, no roady... and the previous owner didn't even know it had them on.

Woo-hoo!!

But in positive news, the totally fucked wiper blades (not just the rubber bits - they're all wobbly and crap) are available new from BMW, a snip at $137 for the pair. So the nice chap I met at Brisbane BMW is getting them couriered in for me.
    Last edited by Neeek; 20-07-17 at 11:26 AM.

You'll be able to get those off. Might have to get creative but you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Just grind a flat on 2 sides and that will come off, or is it too deeply recessed for that?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Went to the locksmith - he didn't want a bar of it.

Went to Brisbane BMW - yes, they are genuine BMW ones. No, we don't have a key. Call a locksmith.

Went to the BP garage down the road and challenged John - one six-pack of your choice. Three minutes later, they all looked like this:

Tyres tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by Neeek; 20-07-17 at 11:24 AM.

now that's what i call problem solving!
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1980 KP60 4K - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

wtf a problem with a resolution?

youve changed PF

Whoever designed the headlamp retaining clips in this car is a cunt. Heat the plastic clip with a hairdryer? My arse - get a hack saw and cut the fucker out!

You can see what I did with the tabs on the broken headlight - cut a bit, bend a bit, and I'm free!

So that's one more job ticked off the list. So we need tyres (tomorrow morning), headlining (Thursday) and wipers (arriving Thursday), and then we're ready for... well, Easter. RWC will be attempted after the long weekend.
    Last edited by Neeek; 20-07-17 at 11:27 AM.

all that hype and suspense and then ... fair enough.

Is this Turbo yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Stop faffing around Neeeek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC1YxaA5cNo

Turbo will be AT LEAST 12 months away. Although I'd still like to be different and chuck an Eaton M90 on it. Lots more investigation required on that front.

That M5 is a bit nuts. There's a little part of me that wants to die knowing that someone did that to a proper M5, though....

Headlining done!

Before:

After:

It's not quite the same colour as the original one, but the boys who came and did it said that if I were to complain they'll come out again and re-do it for free in the right colour. Considering this little episode has cost me $250, I think that's very reasonable and I'll definitely do that.
    Last edited by Neeek; 20-07-17 at 11:28 AM.

wrong colour or not, makes a big difference - it almost makes me miss my E32 735i - well sort off anyway.

New BMW wiper blades on today too! Getting close - just need to thoroughly degrease everything before taking it in for a RWC after Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeek View Post
    Headlining done!

Before:

After:

It's not quite the same colour as the original one, but the boys who came and did it said that if I were to complain they'll come out again and re-do it for free in the right colour. Considering this little episode has cost me $250, I think that's very reasonable and I'll definitely do that.
    Link to guys please, that's awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Link to guys please, that's awesome
    Repairbull. They appear a little dodgy, but two blokes came out and knocked it over in an hour. Nothing broken either.

Congrats, Neek.

• Look for a working secondhand OBC (computer)
    • Why is the clutch pedal so high?
    It might seem like no-one is parting these out (which is cos there's very little demand). But once you put feelers out, there's plenty out there.

Clutch pedal is probably the retaining clip on the master cyl (I think it also takes out the cruise control switch after it fails). Apparently the replacement retaining clips don't last, so you're best off hacking something up to fix it.

Does the correct hot/cool air come out from every vent? Stuck solonoids on the dual heater valve are pretty common. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0114

Yeah! Heater valves are an easy fix. Definitely make it a "thing" to turn the heater on every 6mths or so.

Hows your suspension? Look up clickable automotive, they did a nice write up.

Hot and cold air works. Actually, hot is intermittent, possibly linked to overheating episode? But the PO told me he'd fiddled with the heater valve. Bentley manual reckons it's easy to remove and replace, so might see if I can find a new one somewhere.

Suspension got the all clear from the tyre shop, who do those quick checks as you know. Not a full mechanical inspection, so we shall see what the RWC guy says on Tuesday. Fingers crossed. And thanks for the lead on Clickable Automotive - still learning where to get parts from, and reading the Bentley manual a lot!

I've had an odd liking for these since Wheels favoured a red 535is over the HSV SV5000...

http://www.motorbookworld.com.au/whe...lden-sv50.html

Good buy, will follow with interest.

Turbo will be AT LEAST 12 months away. Although I'd still like to be different and chuck an Eaton M90 on it.