Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyone needs another car, right?

I'm sure this guy likes doing things the hard way, and a lot of the tech info is outdated, still a good read though:

http://bmw535iturbo.weebly.com/

i remember that car... seemed to have a lot of issues, only saw it out on a cruise once haha.

I also remember that car. I think in particular the ECUs have come a long way since that was built. Plus he was chasing big power, whereas I will be sensible - goal would be as much as an E34 M5, so chasing maybe 280-300rwhp. Well, I say that now...

yep claimed 700hp at one point, i reckon you'll be fine. there is an E24 6 series in bris made into an alpina clone that runs a turbo m30, might be worth chatting to the owner?

Definitely. I really want to get some forced induction going on, in time. But I also want to be sensible about it. Things start getting stupid once you chase the big numbers - I'd rather have modest outputs and 100% reliability.

But anyway, this is far down the track. Today, I fitted a Kenwood head unit. It lights up the same orange as the dash, it works, and my 8 year old helped me figure out what all the wires were for. Father/son bonding. Good.

So we had some entirely expected news - it needs a few things for the RWC ticket. Specifically:

Bump stops front and rear
    Front left thrust arm

And that's it!

So tomorrow I'm going to put an order in for a bit more stuff, namely front upper and lower control arms, swaybar links, and bump stops for all corners. And because I am time-poor, I'm going to get the local guy to whack it all in. It pains me to do so, but I just don't have the time and I want to get this thing on the road. Which also means that it won't be ready in time for C&C this Saturday morning (booo!). But hey, that list is pretty short for a $3,000 car that's 27 years old... still winning as far as I'm concerned.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Neeek View Post
    whereas I will be sensible - goal would be as much as an E34 M5
    You spelled E60 M5 wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpat View Post
    You spelled E60 M5 wrong.
    Hmmm... M5 powers...

E28 - 286bhp
    E34 - 335bhp
    E39 - 394bhp
    E60 - 500bhp
    F10 - 560bhp

And then there's little old me, at a whopping 211bhp. Screwing another 125bhp or so out of an M30 is perfectly sane.

More than doubling it? Big bag of nope. Or a bigger bag of money. Or some melted pistons. Or some rods exiting the block.

Got my parts this morning from Clickable Automotive, and they've been given to the local mechanic this morning to fit for the roady. Might be able to get QLD plates on it on Friday afternoon. Might...

Hmmm... M5 powers...

E28 - 286bhp
    E34 - 335bhp
    E39 - 394bhp
    E60 - 500bhp
    F10 - 560bhp

And then there's little old me, at a whopping 211bhp. Screwing another 125bhp or so out of an M30 is perfectly sane.

More than doubling it? Big bag of nope. Or a bigger bag of money. Or some melted pistons. Or some rods exiting the block.

Got my parts this morning from Clickable Automotive, and they've been given to the local mechanic this morning to fit for the roady. Might be able to get QLD plates on it on Friday afternoon. Might...
    I looked into it when i had mine, i thought your rods will be fine. From memory the rockers were the big weaklink on these [besides the usual BMW headgasket issue] and they used to snap in half

Hunting Swamp Creatures. Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Close. E34 535i manual. When it's not taunting me with low coolant warnings (which will be the first thing I get checked out when I get back), it's fucking cracking to drive. Some money will need to be spent on it, which I knew about beforehand, but considering it owes me three grand and is the only non-molested one I could find on God's clean earth, that's no problem at all.
    Like the choice but gotta admit am disappointed considering your avatar. Was hoping there was some unknown to me mega size yank tank with two doors that had factory Recaros and a big block.
    THANK YOU BIG cuddly MUZ for my PF Badges Of Honour. Love them! Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Xenophobe, Numpty, Moron, Muppet, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb", “climate "denier", “out of your fucking mind” and “batshit crazy”.

Walt’s signature well before Steve Bannons March 2018 speech.

MUCH APPRECIATED Muz. Thanks man.

Want to know about Media Ownership concentration?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRmqRZpCqzg

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Like the choice but gotta admit am disappointed considering your avatar. Was hoping there was some unknown to me mega size yank tank with two doors that had factory Recaros and a big block.
    Can see if the BMW seats go in the Galaxie if you like?

Hunting Swamp Creatures. Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Can see if the BMW seats go in the Galaxie if you like?
    Haha. That would be weird.

But reminds me of a mate who put two lounge chairs in his Galaxy while seats were at Motor Trimmers. Wayne Newton was his name. A plumber. Mad bugger. if you find this googling yourself contact me Wayne. I still remember the day Wayne turned up at my front door to say bye with an F100 towing a car trailer with a 911 on it. He had swapped it for his house in a hurried transaction and said he needed to get out of town. Quickly.

He was mates with Warren Lanfranchi. Well up til Lanfranchi got shot. A coupLe of days before WYne decided to leave town. Wayne was figured in some TV show that covered the Roger Rogerson days. Can't remember the name of the show but a Galaxy was in it. Not Waynes real one tho.

P.S. I love your Gal.
    P.P.S. I love your writing style too. The original post got me in but I could post until I knew what it was.

Wayne Newton Plumber
    Wayne Newton Plumber
    Wayne Newton Plumber
    Last time I saw you I had a 911 and you had sold yours but were with a live in hooker you brought back from Kalgoolie. It's Steve. Contact me.
    THANK YOU BIG cuddly MUZ for my PF Badges Of Honour. Love them! Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Xenophobe, Numpty, Moron, Muppet, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb", “climate "denier", “out of your fucking mind” and “batshit crazy”.

Walt’s signature well before Steve Bannons March 2018 speech.

MUCH APPRECIATED Muz. Thanks man.

Want to know about Media Ownership concentration?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRmqRZpCqzg

Today's news... the car is registered. Shame my plate has WIL on it. William? Willy? Wilhelm? I see some money being paid to PPQ soon...

Opens
    Wil it keep overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Wil it keep overheating?
    Two Internets awarded! Maybe I should get some stickers made up that say "helm scream" and place strategically?

M30 will be ok with a GT30/5 and appropriate fueling/tuning
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Today's news... the car is registered. Shame my plate has WIL on it. William? Willy? Wilhelm? I see some money being paid to PPQ soon...
    it shall be attending C&C tomorrow then?

Minor update...

New stickers for the wheels (a surprisingly satisfying $12 spend):

And then while I was poking around the engine bay, I noticed that throttle linkage was binding on the intake bit in the centre of the below pic on WOT:

Needless to say I bent it back so it cleared, and rather than having 80% throttle, I now have 100%.

Finally, I have ordered a set of what I am referring to as "wankerplatz". Unfortunately, SCHNELL was already taken (by a 1956 VW Beetle of all things, apparently), so I had to opt for something slightly more sensible.
    Last edited by Neeek; 20-07-17 at 12:30 PM.

Arsch?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Managed to sneak in 30 minutes this morning to change out the swaybar links, one of which I knew was a bit wobbly and responsible for the clunking...

See that torn rubber bit? That passed a RWC inspection, that did. Old mate won't be working on my car ever again... seriously, that end was wobbly as all hell and couldn't have kept anything tight.

Anyway, new links in, clunking banished, more win.

So, I performed an upgrade today, of sorts.

The gear shift knob on this thing is a bit past it - leather coming undone, bit wobbly, etc. So I bought a genuine M-knob (is that a thing?) and it arrived today. I think this one is actually from an E46 330Ci, but because BMW it will fit any manual BMW from about 19dicketythree.

Stories abound about how much of a cunt these gear knobs are to remove. In a sunroof-equipped car, the standard practice is to open said sunroof, put the shifter in 4th, stand with one foot on each front seat with your head out the roof and pull up HARD. For those without a sunroof, some kind of full face helmet is advised, or you risk a bloody nose, smashed teeth, etc. Honestly, it sounds as bad as the time my brother put a Mota Lita steering wheel on his MGB and bruised his face when the old one came unstuck as he had one foot on the dashboard, grunting away (this before I schooled him on steering wheel pullers)...

So being without a sunroof, I sat in the driver's seat, put it in 4th, clenched my buttocks, and pulled up hard in a slightly less-than-perfect angle. My left hand flew up with the old knob in it, and I managed to halt it about 6 inches from the roof lining. I guess mine was a bit fucked, then.

New one on - push it on, wait for the click, and...

Splendid.
    Last edited by Neeek; 20-07-17 at 12:32 PM.

Nice knob.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

love the work done, love the wheels too. I actually may have something you might be after too

Quote Originally Posted by Swang View Post
    love the work done, love the wheels too. I actually may have something you might be after too
    Perchance might it be a complete turbo kit? What have you got?

Stories abound about how much of a cunt these gear knobs are to remove. In a sunroof-equipped car, the standard practice is to open said sunroof, put the shifter in 4th, stand with one foot on each front seat with your head out the roof and pull up HARD. For those without a sunroof, some kind of full face helmet is advised, or you risk a bloody nose, smashed teeth, etc. Honestly, it sounds as bad as the time my brother put a Mota Lita steering wheel on his MGB and bruised his face when the old one came unstuck as he had one foot on the dashboard, grunting away (this before I schooled him on steering wheel pullers)...

So being without a sunroof, I sat in the driver's seat, put it in 4th, clenched my buttocks, and pulled up hard in a slightly less-than-perfect angle. My left hand flew up with the old knob in it, and I managed to halt it about 6 inches from the roof lining. I guess mine was a bit fucked, then.
    Haha yeah. They're cunts of things to get off. It's the one time I'm really glad of my arm rest as it allows more leverage so you hopefully don't hit yourself in the face. Which I've just avoided doing so far.

Perchance might it be a complete turbo kit? What have you got?
    You kind sir have been PMd

The gear shift knob on this thing is a bit past it - leather coming undone, bit wobbly, etc. So I bought a genuine M-knob (is that a thing?) and it arrived today. I think this one is actually from an E46 330Ci, but because BMW it will fit any manual BMW from about 19dicketythree.
    But wait, theres more. Can interchange the shifter assembly between a whole heap of models if your after a "short shift". Z3 1.9 was the go-er from memory, ~200 for everything including new shift bush etc. Theres a link somewhere on the net showing how each shift setup varies in relation to an E30.

N-

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    But wait, theres more. Can interchange the shifter assembly between a whole heap of models if your after a "short shift". Z3 1.9 was the go-er from memory, ~200 for everything including new shift bush etc. Theres a link somewhere on the net showing how each shift setup varies in relation to an E30.

N-
    Indeed - that upgrade is a thing. However, having replaced the knob alone I need to get used to the change in feel. It's made quite a difference - much firmer (no shifter knob slop), throw is the same of course but it feels shorter given that the knob is not as tall as the original one. I quite like it as is now, so we shall see. But yeah, Z3 shifter is the go for factory short shift shennanigens.

Dirt around power window switches. WNB
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Indeed - that upgrade is a thing. However, having replaced the knob alone I need to get used to the change in feel. It's made quite a difference - much firmer (no shifter knob slop), throw is the same of course but it feels shorter given that the knob is not as tall as the original one. I quite like it as is now, so we shall see. But yeah, Z3 shifter is the go for factory short shift shennanigens.
    I have one of these sitting in my cupboard unused (and unlikely to ever be with me) FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.