Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Tourqe Lock' borg warner centres

Thanks mate
    S13 2JZ
    VS UTE 5.0
    PRADO KDJ150R

Quote Originally Posted by SR20 KE30 View Post
    I have a harrop one bw78, when i dropped it off to my diff guy to get fitted he made sure it was the real thing.

He said if it wasn't he would have refused to fit it, machining tolerances/ issues i guess.

the poor man pays twice.
    so he didn't actually tell you what's wrong with them? cause like i say, i know a fair few people using these without issue. that's actually the first piece of negative feedback i've come across
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

on my application the Eaton is $999 and the no-name is $875

is that really worth the punt?

or do people think the Eaton is shit too, so the Harrop at $1410 is the one to compare with?

heaps of people run Eaton, I thought that was the safe bet

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    1. Me
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10. ?
    i'd be interested if I can get a deal on an M86 Eaton

For extra hundred I'd rather name brand If warranty/service is better.

Obviously we're all looking at no-name due to it being half price b/w alternative to eaton or harrop & long term better option to factory lsd.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Yeah, for a bit over 10% more I'd go Eaton everytime

Harrop is eaton distributor in aus. Only way it will be "harrop" is if they don't make them else where.

Harrop vs Eaton - I tonight the internals were the same, but the Harrop has a stronger billet case???

You're looking at fitment for a falcon as well Shonky? I need one of these to for my G6ET so would be interested if the group buy thing got off the ground, may be some from AFF may be interested? I'm thinking the Eaton for the extra $125 is worth it but really not sure on the Extra $500 for the Harrop.

eaton and harrop are the same, harrop is for the aus market, eaton for US. as far as i could find there is no eaton product in the us for a bw75/78, it is only marketed to aus. mine was $12xx for a 31 spline. bw80 is around $650 in us.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by richzx View Post
    You're looking at fitment for a falcon as well Shonky? I need one of these to for my G6ET so would be interested if the group buy thing got off the ground, may be some from AFF may be interested? I'm thinking the Eaton for the extra $125 is worth it but really not sure on the Extra $500 for the Harrop.
    Yep, I'm down for an M86 Eaton which is for turbo and V8 falcon (atmo 6 is different I think)

ALLMTR, you keen on Eaton?

Edit. I assume we don't all have to get the exact same diff for a group buy to have legs do we?
    Last edited by Shonky.; 11-04-16 at 12:18 PM.

Eaton don't do one for the M78, you have to buy a harrop one. Hence these torque lock cheapies are a good option.

If anyone wants a harrop for an M78 i have a 1000km old one for sale though.
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

So the $1200 harrop pricetag so you can use 31 spline axles & torquelock is 28 spline only????

Makes more sense now or I read posts wrongly.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

The Ford ones are all 30 spline though that's the yum cha, Eaton and the Harrop. I wonder what the difference is between the yumcha and the Eaton really is????

Quote Originally Posted by lysdexia View Post
    Eaton don't do one for the M78, you have to buy a harrop one. Hence these torque lock cheapies are a good option.

If anyone wants a harrop for an M78 i have a 1000km old one for sale though.
    We are en eaton distributor (official), the harrops are made by eaton for Harrop & the contract ties them up tighter than a nuns cunt. We have sent po's to eaton for them in excess of 1000 units, but they wont break their deal.

Banned
    Couldn't you get eaton to make a different version and undercut harrop with a slightly different version?

And bite the hand that feeds?

Ok, so who actually wants one of these and wants to try and see if we can get a group buy going? Chuck? Shonky? I think if we can get at least 5 we may be able to get a further discount.
    1. Richzx - eaton to suit m86
    2.?????
    3.?????
    4.?????
    5.?????

1. Richzx - eaton to suit m86
    2. Shonky. - Eaton M86
    3.?????
    4.?????
    5.?????

Ps. Should we move this to general thread, so people see it???

tempting!!

If we get a few more people on board in this thread, and then move it to the higher traffic general discussion section this should have legs.

Any of you guys keen???

Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Group buy lol?

I've got a freshly rebuilt and re-shimmed BW78 LSD to go into my Bluebird but this seems like a better idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    Put me down for at least one in the group buy.

Quote Originally Posted by S133LTR View Post
    Im going to pull the trigger on one this week, it was mentioned here that the owner of Tuff Parts is a forum member here? Is there a PF members discount code for their site or anything?

I spoke to a diff guy about the Torque line range and he reckons they are cheap junk and not a patch on the Eaton or Harrop. I am ordering one so does anyone want to try and get a group buy going? I'm looking to order this week.

I have a BW78 4pin 28sp LSD in the xw running 265 R-comps and it's done numerous track days, RaceWars twice, burnouts, etc and is still going strong.

Do I really need one of these new fandangles?
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 19-04-16 at 08:35 PM.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Yes! I'll put you down for one.
    Last edited by richzx; 19-04-16 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richzx View Post
    I spoke to a diff guy about the Torque line range and he reckons they are cheap junk and not a patch on the Eaton or Harrop. I am ordering one so does anyone want to try and get a group buy going? I'm looking to order this week.
    Guess which one the diff guy can get at trade and sell at retail?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWallGT500 View Post
    didn't gbanger from here have one in his g220 fairlane? or his s3 xr8? but ripped it out because it was shit?
    nah... I had a 4wd systems lockrite Loka (auto locker) in the AU xr8 and was a cunt of a thing... Factory LSD was better.. TL50 was also factory LSD..

Ive got aEaton trutrac in the hilux rear and E-Locka in the front.. good setup for off road...Trutrac would be a great diff for road race as well. a loka is only for 4wd application in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Guess which one the diff guy can get at trade and sell at retail?
    He doesn't sell them and only offered to set it up for for a VERY reasonable price. Anyway, I'm ordering one tomorrow.

OK so some further info on Torquelock.
    After buying mine before Christmas I finally had my diff assembled this past weekend.
    Dealing with a champ on a diff builder he let me hang about for the assembly of my M78 IRS, talked me through it all and taught me about the setup. I was building a 4.11:1 gear set into the diff.
    Long story short: He has assembled a number of Torquelock centres and said they work well from his experience, however, we had to grind back the pinion gear to clear the housing. This was mentioned to me after I purchased the centre by the supplier, but due to life getting in the way I didn't remember it until we went to assemble. The shorter the gear set the bigger the grind.
    I have some photos i'll upload at some point. The grind back was about 5mm at the 'top' of the pinion, away from the load bearing section of the gear, but obviously isn't ideal.
    Rule of thumb was 3.08 and 3.45 clear ok but anything shorter requires a touch up.

Some people mightn't like this, and I get it, but it is what it is. So long as it performs as I require it, I'm not fussed.
    99% if people wanting this product aren't running 8's. They're street cars on a budget. Everyone would agree the grind back is a shit aspect of the design.
    If you're chasing big times, don't use it. For the rest of us, make of it what you will.

I'll report back how it drives (and if I eventually break it! )

Photos

From what the diff builder told me, part of the 'feathered out' contact pattern at the root/inner diameter of the crown wheel is the outcome of the required grinding. (As in, it wouldn't be as accentuated as it shows on the photo, according to what I was told.)
    Last edited by [TUFFVQ]; 19-04-16 at 11:04 PM.