Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo selection for a 5.7 V8

i have a gt3582r on a 1uz and its on boost well before 3000rpm... ad an extra 1.7l capacity to the engine and the same turbo is stupid...

i only used it on the 1uz as it was lying around not doing anything at the time...

next turbo 1uz is going to cop a gt45 sized turbo...

S400SX-72 ETT*

bog warmer cheap because detroit spec. not going to explode like ebay china shit.

72mm ind, 1.10 T4 83mm rear
    $649

if the car is auto, its going to fucking spool instantly, why in the fuck would you put a GT35 on a LS1,

You don't get response by connecting a giant ancient compressor to a small ancient turbine.
    You also cannot make an engine magically have a wider power band by using a ridiculously undersized turbo.
    You need to do some research on how a turbo works and how it effects an engines behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

So what you are saying is get a PD supercharger instead

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    hes been told but didn't want to listen. GT35 with 1.06 but seems to think the housing is too big for a fucking 5.7L v8
    Woah there, relax tiger - someone's a little touchy eh?
    My question about 1.06 being too large was actually in relation to lysdexia's recommendation of a GT40. And it was just that - a question, hoping for an explanation behind the recommendation.
    And as perfect as the PTE6870 may be, I've already made it clear that's out of my budget.

Dimi, the S400sx recommendation is an interesting one - I know nothing about them. Do you have any rough idea of what RPM that would come on full boost on an LS? I can't seem to find any online around the $600 mark though. Is this your turbo or do you have a link where I can get one for cheapcheaps? And when you talk about spooling instantly and being too small, are you referring to that S400sx or the GT35?

JZK25, I freely admit I'm out of my league here in terms of knowledge. Hence me posting here, this is a small part of "doing my research".
    I'm not looking to make magically make the power band wider as suggested (thought I'm not sure if that comment was aimed at me, or some of the other suggestions posted so far). I'm well aware a low-spooling turbo is going to sacrifice top end, and I made it clear that I don't mind if it runs out of huff at higher RPM in my first post.
    As for getting response by using a smaller turbine and a larger compressor, I honestly thought that was how it worked (all other things like fins, bearings and housing design being equal). So if that's not the case, happy to be told I'm wrong. Just trying to learn here.

Slides, thanks again for your info. I think you lost me a bit on the technical detail there though. If you're suggesting T66 over a T76, what sized turbine and compressor wheels would you recommend (in mm) and what AR's?

A T66 is a T66, the original garrett specs are still searchable if retailers are calling different wheel major and minor diameters by they same name they are wrong. Each compressor in the T series refers to a defined induces diameter(and fixed associated exducer) likewise the turbines should be based on the garret spec sizes P-trim or Q-trim (or the smaller ones in that series that are not relevant here) i will note i have seen China turbines based on that series between o & p minor diameter but nearly all the big ones are P or Q i think? As above mismatch of compressor and turbine will set you back rather than help with spool, only thing it is likely to do is create bottom end surge on load which will shorten lifespan. As a very rough rule of thumb the compressor inducer and turbine exducer (both the minor diameter) should be relatively close in size.

couldn't give you a number.
    Its not going to be the quickest spooling, its not going to be the most powerful, but it'll roughly do what you want and i'm suggesting it because you want to spend ebay china turbo money. There are far superior options out there for $2-3-4k

pick your poison.
    http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm

FYI i run a bigger version of this turbo with one of these ancient design truck spec compressor wheels and ancient design turbine wheels on a LS with a 3k converter its responsive as fuck and faster than pretty much every cunt here bar dale lol. But i'll wait for the nerds to tell me why im/its shit haha

Ok, the p trim/76mm thing is junk, forget it.
    An S300 Sx3 with a large exhaust housing(above 1ar) and 66 mm compressor would work well as a responsive turbo on an LS1 but will probably top out at 550hp atw. A GT4094 with 1.19 housing would also work but again will top out at about the same.
    It depends what you actually want the engine to do and what power you want it to make. A near std LS1 vs a big cammed LS1 is also two different things. The engines don't need to make power below 3000rpm because they have a gearbox that works and can rev pretty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

My vote is S366 for cheap and quick spooling. Have heard of a couple of cars making around 400rwkw at about 12psi (I think) with them. Of the top of my head, it should see about 5-6psi at 2500rpm.

Edit: see post #19 herehttp://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...rner-s366.html
    Last edited by Ben.; 06-04-16 at 08:43 PM.

Put a 2500-3000 converter in your junk and it'll solve all your 'must spool at idle' problems. It will also make it accelerate faster than a school bus from a stop
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    couldn't give you a number.
    Its not going to be the quickest spooling, its not going to be the most powerful, but it'll roughly do what you want and i'm suggesting it because you want to spend ebay china turbo money. There are far superior options out there for $2-3-4k

pick your poison.
    http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm

FYI i run a bigger version of this turbo with one of these ancient design truck spec compressor wheels and ancient design turbine wheels on a LS with a 3k converter its responsive as fuck and faster than pretty much every cunt here bar dale lol. But i'll wait for the nerds to tell me why im/its shit haha
    Wait you can buy them new for that money? Jesus that's a bit of a win.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    Ok, the p trim/76mm thing is junk, forget it.
    An S300 Sx3 with a large exhaust housing(above 1ar) and 66 mm compressor would work well as a responsive turbo on an LS1 but will probably top out at 550hp atw. A GT4094 with 1.19 housing would also work but again will top out at about the same.
    It depends what you actually want the engine to do and what power you want it to make. A near std LS1 vs a big cammed LS1 is also two different things. The engines don't need to make power below 3000rpm because they have a gearbox that works and can rev pretty hard.
    Thanks mate, that's good advice. it's sounding more and more like a bog warrior will fit the bill. Engine will be near standard and 550HP is plenty for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    My vote is S366 for cheap and quick spooling. Have heard of a couple of cars making around 400rwkw at about 12psi (I think) with them. Of the top of my head, it should see about 5-6psi at 2500rpm.

Edit: see post #19 herehttp://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...rner-s366.html
    My god that power curve is a thing of beauty. I'm in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    A T66 is a T66, the original garrett specs are still searchable if retailers are calling different wheel major and minor diameters by they same name they are wrong. Each compressor in the T series refers to a defined induces diameter(and fixed associated exducer) likewise the turbines should be based on the garret spec sizes P-trim or Q-trim (or the smaller ones in that series that are not relevant here) i will note i have seen China turbines based on that series between o & p minor diameter but nearly all the big ones are P or Q i think? As above mismatch of compressor and turbine will set you back rather than help with spool, only thing it is likely to do is create bottom end surge on load which will shorten lifespan. As a very rough rule of thumb the compressor inducer and turbine exducer (both the minor diameter) should be relatively close in size.
    Thanks Slides, awesome info. I particularly like the tip about matching in/ex on the turbine and compressor wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    Wait you can buy them new for that money? Jesus that's a bit of a win.
    * All price are in USD and exclude shipping.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot/

that will tell you everything you need to know. FYI the S300 66mmm compressor is the 91S72 (S300SX)

punch in your engine parameters, pick compressor, adjust comp efficiency numbers to match compressor map values and then tweak the turbine expansion ratios to hit the turbine curve at all points. should give you a pretty good idea of what suits and what doesn't. keep your eyes on the engine delta pressure to see when it starts to head negative. that's when it starts to choke.

once you find the lowest value that a turbine expansion ratio will give you desired boost to stay on the turbine curve, set a bunch of columns 100rpm lower at each and lower the boost pressure until you can get an expansion ratio that sits on the curve. that'll give you an approximate spool profile with a closed waste gate.

punched in some REALLY rough theoretical numbers and I have a S300 66mm compressor, 80mm .91A/R turbine reaching 8psi at about 1700rpm, assuming 70%VE on a 5.7l engine, steady state. but the borg compressors really want more boost than that at high mass flows.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 07-04-16 at 02:36 PM.

Oo___oO

Burn is Weird: Thanks for that link and info. That's absolutely fantastic, that's exactly what I was after. Champion!

some good info here fellas. over the next few years im going to restore my vt calais back to stockish condition cosmetically apart from rims and lowered. also will be going with big single turbo setup. im wanting to make about 380rwkw-400rwkw on e85 so shouldnt be a problem really.

what turbo did you end up with j

Just ordered two turbos for stock unopened LSjuan builds for mates.

only mods will be valve springs, backed with PG's and tight converters.
    bog 75mm 83mm turbine 1.1arT4
    bog 80mm 96mm turbine 1.32 T6

will report back when they are up and running.

yeah i was thinking cam first and then chucking on the big s475 bw. keen to hear results

Quote Originally Posted by gun32gtr View Post
    yeah i was thinking cam first and then chucking on the big s475 bw. keen to hear results
    i'll throw a cam in the small one later, just to see how much it picks up. i'm guessing not much due to high BP

yeah im not going an ideal boost cam but it will be ok as i dont want every last bit of hp i can find. using vcm710 its the new vcm 7 theyre making.. i had a vcm 6sc cam in my old blown vu ss and it was ok but id like a little more aggressive idle.

yeah that's a shit turbo cam for you

Aggressive idle = extra 50kw at the mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    Aggressive idle = extra 50kw at the mouth
    haha true.. people think its more powerful than it is hey..

yeah that's a shit turbo cam for you
    could go the vcm714 would be the go but pretty tame sounding whilst not boosted hey..

maybe vcm7 go happy medium

Quote Originally Posted by gun32gtr View Post
    could go the vcm714 would be the go but pretty tame sounding whilst not boosted hey..

maybe vcm7 go happy medium
    Stop worrying about how hektik your car will idle, nobody will care what idles like if the cunt melts tyres instantly.

714 will work, tell your tuner you want it to idle choppy and he will lean it out. It'll lope.

Yeah that is a good very valid point.

Just ordered two turbos for stock unopened LSjuan builds for mates.

only mods will be valve springs, backed with PG's and tight converters.
    bog 75mm 83mm turbine 1.1arT4
    bog 80mm 96mm turbine 1.32 T6

will report back when they are up and running.
    Heaps keen to see the results from this.
    No turbo purchased for me yet, I'm 4-5 weeks away from needing it. Still doing homework.

Hopefully torana should be done soon, i just finished the manifolds.
    I hope to see it crack a 9.50 on radials