Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

So I managed to move on the wooshodore to GAZ-914 and got rid of my AE82 stuff, including the 4age silvertop to MZ-21.

I've been looking at MX-5s for a while and had pretty much decided I was going to get a NB8B, and looked at a couple in Canberra which were crap. I also passed on capt slows NB8A cos I wanted an 8B and I was going have more to spend than I wanted to get it to where I would be happy in terms of mods.

Overall the criteria were- street rego'd, air conditioning, manual, not red or that horrid ice blue or gold, NB8B preferred, less than 160,000 km, with no significant body damage. If stock it had to be cheap enough that I could throw a roll bar, race seat, some MCA purples (or reds), and an exhaust on it and still be under 10 K ish . Then a hardtop and a turbo will follow later.

So I ended up with a Grace Green NB8A- but it's got Ohlins DFVs, a brown davis roll bar, with FIA padding and CAMS paperwork (logbooking it just got easier!) , a Marrad LX1 fixed back seat, braided lines, decent pads, HD clutch and radiator, a set of Konig Litespeeds (6.1 kg each) with really new Michelin PS3s , MX5 mania intake. Custom stainless exhaust, with hi-tech dual outlet rear muffler, and an 18 inch resonator.

Massive thanks to Uncle for checking it out for me.

Last Sunday I drove to Sydney, dropped of the Wooshodore to Gaz, had lunch with Gaz and co at the pub, where I lost my credit card somehow, drove to Newcastle, picked up the MX-5, drove to Uncles place, watched some of the Fjuan, and then drove home. 950 km, 15 hours round trip - including a solid 4 hours of not driving, which is not too bad, considering it pissed down from the central coast to newie, and I spent an hour in a traffic jam on the F3 at Warnervale. Colorado returned something like 11 l/100 km for the round trip.

The good- it's pretty tidy, and after driving it 60 km in the hills today it really does meet my needs, and I have cash left of the initial spend left for a hardtop or LSD straight up. I have the full service & modification history for at least the last decade- in a folder in writing from the last 2 owners- every oil change, purchase, mod etc etc.. etc.

The bad- the paint has cracked on the lip of drivers side rear arch where the guard was lipped and flared - needs resolving to prevent rust but no biggie- almost unnoticeable. A couple of paint cracks on the rear bar- no biggie at all- not going to worry about that. One of the clips of the side repeater is broken so it doesn't sit flush- oh noes...

I have already ordered a set of mazdaspeed engine mounts, proper side mount # front plate bracket, some clear side markers, delrin door bushes (to help with rattles, not improve stiffness), and a stubby aerial, and a battery triangle sticker etc.

What is clear from driving it is that it sounds really good at 4-7000 rpm, but can be a bit droney and overly loud at low rpm, high load. The ohlins need to be softened a click or two for Canberra roads at normal speed, but work fantastic where they are at high speed I was pleasantly surprised at the top end speed this morning on a pretty flat bit of road.

I'm also sooo not used to something that turns in anymore, or something that is as tactile, and can be balanced nicely. It does need a proper LSD though- while it has plenty of grip, when you do get it sideways it does the whole light up one side, then grip, then not, so it feels kinda snappy, which is not confidence inspiring.

The only thing about the drive this morning was I forgot to pick up my in car video camera, and mount it to the car before I left.. . Might install it in the car tonight

A clutch pack LSD (cusco RS 1.5 way, KAAZ, OS giken) and a 4.3 diff ratio are definitely the 1st mods, then lightyear carbon hardtop or fastback when he makes some more, and then probably off to NitroDann for a solid 180 rwkw turbo setup sometime in 2017.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_000003.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	677.1 KB 
ID:	91613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_000001.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	540.3 KB 
ID:	91614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f63683360d95f866c103a040c5bde94b.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	91612  

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Nice buy!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Very nice! I may just get one of these if I get impatient saving up for my clubman! Cool colour and agree with the ice blue and gold sentiment, fuck those colours. Every car in the world needs an LSD compulsory I reckon.
    ----------------------------------------
    1965 Valiant AP6 Regal Safari 318, 1977 Chrysler Charger 265 - SOLD
    Web design and development on the South Coast of NSW - PF discounts, pm me

Solid plans!

Is the hardtop an asthetic, weight &/or stiffness based decision?

Nice, lets discuss in detail over a champagne or spritzer next time your in QLD xoxoxo

Nice buy. I've begun looking for something similar, but considering something boosted as well
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Horay! Nice buy.
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Nice, lets discuss in detail over a champagne or spritzer next time your in QLD xoxoxo
    I think I owe you a spritzer or 5 after last time No QLD trips booked in as yet... I will be in touch though.

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    Solid plans!

Is the hardtop an aesthetic, weight &/or stiffness based decision?
    It's a 'I really give no farks for convertibles' decision- I'd like MX-5's more if they were proper roofed coupes. I really want a lightyear fastback to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by gti6 View Post
    Very nice! I may just get one of these if I get impatient saving up for my clubman! Cool colour and agree with the ice blue and gold sentiment, fuck those colours. Every car in the world needs an LSD compulsory I reckon.
    Do it oh yeah LSD is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Nice buy!
    ta It's no sports sedan, but..

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Horay! Nice buy.
    thanks Mr Lobster. See you next Saturday for a beer etc dude

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Nice buy. I've begun looking for something similar, but considering something boosted as well
    yeah boosted would be grouse. that turbo'd NB that came up on mx5 car talk last week would be my go to car now I think.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    nice one rowdy. Lots of good bits on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    Is the hardtop an asthetic, weight &/or stiffness based decision?
    i was suprised by how heavy the soft top is when i removed mine, cant say for sure but it felt like the frame+glass+gubbins is heavier than a hard top.

the way the hard top mounts (even with hard mount kit) i doubt it improves stiffness, top or no top i have not experienced any scuttle shake when driving which is good however the car still flexes up my weird driveway.

EDIT1: jesse streeter for the diff (PM me i think i can dig up quotes i got for the cusco and giken)

EDIT2: boost is better
    Last edited by schnitzelburger; 22-04-16 at 12:36 PM.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post

the way the hard top mounts (even with hard mount kit) i doubt it improves stiffness, top or no top i have not experienced any scuttle shake when driving which is good however the car still flexes up my weird driveway.

EDIT1: jesse streeter for the diff (PM me i think i can dig up quotes i got for the cusco and giken)

EDIT2: boost is better
    PM sent.

Scuttle shake is definitely a thing on mine- and the Capts NB8A.

nice one rowdy. Lots of good bits on that one.

i was suprised by how heavy the soft top is when i removed mine, cant say for sure but it felt like the frame+glass+gubbins is heavier than a hard top.

r
    Awesome Rowdy! Looks like a really nice car! (albeit slow )

I'm fairly sure i weighed my soft top when i removed it and it was around 17kgs. My lightyear carbon roof including fasteners and brackets comes in at 6.5kg..
    '10 Forester Diesel 6Spd - Slow and sensible
    '93 SWB Pajero - Slow but scary
    '89 MX5 B6-T - Scary not slow

Faggotry indeed. You and Buzz can hold hands while doing each others hair.

Probably doesn't even skid.

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...ays-ACT/page14

You know what needs to happen

(ps looks like a neat pic up)
    Last edited by no13b_Coupe; 22-04-16 at 01:44 PM.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    yeah boosted would be grouse. that turbo'd NB that came up on mx5 car talk last week would be my go to car now I think.
    The blue 10AE?
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Excellent, excellent. Mods look well chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Scuttle shake is definitely a thing on mine- and the Capts NB8A.
    Indeed. And agree that they would benefit from an LSD.

I've got some leftover L'Oreal products that I no longer need, yours if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    The blue 10AE?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by rorge View Post
    Awesome Rowdy! Looks like a really nice car! (albeit slow )

yeah, well in the long term I'll be as faster than yours was the day I broke it...

I'm fairly sure i weighed my soft top when i removed it and it was around 17kgs. My lightyear carbon roof including fasteners and brackets comes in at 6.5kg..
    yup, handy weight saving there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Excellent, excellent. Mods look well chosen.

Indeed. And agree that they would benefit from an LSD.

I've got some leftover L'Oreal products that I no longer need, yours if you want them.
    yeah I think they are- I figure if you're prepared to spend nearly 3 K on coilovers, and 800 bucks on importing a seat, then you're not messing around..

Gay

Quote Originally Posted by TT View Post
    Gay
    You'd know

Nice Styling. Do you have to hold your little finger up when you drink your lemonade after driving this?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Need an MX5 sub forum. With boost it will be a fun car. Not sure why you guys are going straight for the fancy diffs. The Torsen is easy and cheap. And works fine. I have never used anything other than the oem Torsen. I did have a Cusco, but sold it to Brendan when I was thinking of parting out my Carbon fibre MX5. Never used it, so don't know the difference.
    I do have to make a batch of roofs again, but it's hard to find the time. The Hatchback seems to have overtaken my life.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Nice Styling. Do you have to hold your little finger up when you drink your lemonade after driving this?
    Don't have to, but it helps!

I don't track my one but on a mountain run the standard torsen compared to the open diff in the NA6 is very apparent (obviously).
    Maybe the cusco etc type diffs make it even better but I doubt I'd ever be in a situation where I'd need it over the torsen myself.

Am happy with the Cap'nSlow-mobile. I had avoided driving one for years as I knew I would end up buying it pretty much on the spot. Like I did. I have no idea how people can command $30k+ for an rx2,3,4,7 etc when one of these just drives so nicely at a fraction of the cost. And stock.
    Having messed with so many cars over time I now know that out of the box, some things can actually be good, and there could be an 9/10 chance that any changes you make will mess with a nice package. Pretty much just some nicer wheels and tyres are my intended changes. Thoughts on the 15x8's? Tyres are 205's?

Additional note: the standard soft top is actually pretty good noise wise compared to some other cars.

Not sure if everyone is a closet homo or entering the MX5 cup. Seriously though, looking forward to it, I have a friend with 2 and he's been surprised at how much he enjoys them. He's playing pick 'n mix with parts at the moment. How much did the mazdaspeed mounts cost (I've got a pair sitting here from a mate).

Its gay, but I like it. Am I gay now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexi View Post
    Its gay, but I like it. Am I gay now?
    Yep, and you're also a qualified hairdresser.

That said, I really like these too.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Has it got the tan interior? BRG ones look ace with the tan interior and woodgrain

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    Need an MX5 sub forum. With boost it will be a fun car. Not sure why you guys are going straight for the fancy diffs. The Torsen is easy and cheap. And works fine. I have never used anything other than the oem Torsen. I did have a Cusco, but sold it to Brendan when I was thinking of parting out my Carbon fibre MX5. Never used it, so don't know the difference.
    I do have to make a batch of roofs again, but it's hard to find the time. The Hatchback seems to have overtaken my life.

Torsens are great i had one in my supra. I got the cusco as i enjoy drift and skid pan days on wet track. The last one i did the torsen was lifting a leg and spinning up causing me to have a shit of a time so the plan for me was to get a clutch diff in my next car. If i could have saved the money and went torsen i would have but hey, i like a skid.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

I don't know what the cusco different are like but I couldn't live with a Kaaz for a daily.
    The stock clutch lsd (also found in n/a Fc rx7) can be shimmed up to be a pretty handy unit. Clearly it won't be as good as a Kaaz/cusco but a pretty good compromise for a car that needs to have good manners.

Torsens are great i had one in my supra. I got the cusco as i enjoy drift and skid pan days on wet track. The last one i did the torsen was lifting a leg and spinning up causing me to have a shit of a time so the plan for me was to get a clutch diff in my next car. If i could have saved the money and went torsen i would have but hey, i like a skid.
    This. Tarmac rally sprints, hillclimbs and motorkhanas, as well as track days are the reasons I own the car. Getting a wheel off the deck is definitely going to happen given I have a gravel rally background and am very happy to back it in late and gas it and I give no farks for staying off kerbs.

I want to do the diff once and forget about it. It a only an extra 600-700 for a new cusco centre with new bearings etc over a second hand torsen....

I have a hydraulic Handbrake to go in it too.....

Its not ever going to be a daily, for a start it's as loud as my rally car was, and I can't get my bike in it as well as my child.

It's a 3 or 4 uses a month car on the road in the long term, probably a bit more to start with while I get used to it.

Going to do the extinguisher mount this arvo, and wire wheel and reseal the boot floor where there is a bit of surface rust.

Tomorrow I'll work out the harness mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Swang View Post
    Not sure if everyone is a closet homo or entering the MX5 cup. Seriously though, looking forward to it, I have a friend with 2 and he's been surprised at how much he enjoys them. He's playing pick 'n mix with parts at the moment. How much did the mazdaspeed mounts cost (I've got a pair sitting here from a mate).
    Mazdaspeed mounts were 130 ish the pair