Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

So I think fro has officially christened the car the Vidal Sassoon Express.

I kinda like it, so will be requesting a thread title change....

So fro and I went to Trackschool.com.au
    on Saturday at Wakefield.

1st time out with the cusco diff and the RS3s.

Ran 45 laps and even threw fro in the passenger seat for a session so he could experience the mx5 joy.

The weather was stunning and surprisingly warm for Wakefield at this time of year.

The car was Waay oversteery, and the RS3s just don't quite have the outright grip the ancient FZ201s had.

Brake feel was not great either, and limited by the tyre grip.

I kept it on the track all day but only managed 1.14.5 with an optimal of 1.13.5.

Managed to roll the left rear tyre off the rim when I got Waay sideways on the ripple strip on the exit of turn 4.

Time to a) drop the rear ride height 15 mm, new wheel alignment and get some more tyre under it.

Some video

Last edited by rowdytoot; 03-08-17 at 05:55 PM.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Mm so I'm having a week where I'm contemplating lifes big questions at 3 am.

So two things about this car annoy me..

1. Lack of llama thrusts. After going in fro's 200sex at Wakefield, Id like something with about that level of acceleration. Can be fixed with turbo action but would cost say 10 k to do properly...
    2. The convertible aspect is nice to have on the road, but means I can't do S1 tarmac rallysprints with only the rollbar - even though a closed roof car doesn't require any roll-over protection at all. It's dumb but it's not going to change.

So I started going - sell and replace,but what with...

86? Would still need an lsd, and coilovers, plus still short on llama thrusts.

130i? A bit blandabd fugly ? Needs lsd etc. Possibly expensive to maintain?

350z? Nice noise, but heavy and fugly

Rx8 - had one, loved it, but rotary =fail. Ls1 conversion required...

In the end I think the only cars I really want to own are 50k plus and I want to smash another 100k off the mortgage before I spend that kind off coin

The only things I truly desire and are realistic are :

Cayman S
    Z3M or Z4M
    Lotus Exige
    911 is too far out of reach I think

Hrmm

Mainly because of this thread and impending 6 speed sequential purchase being thrust upon me, I have been thinking of my next move 6 months, 12months, maybe 5 years down the track.

So obviously want cheap thrills and lots of seat time, my short list is:
    * series 2 NB MX5
    * factory turbo NB MX5
    * mint unmolested S14A/S15 that I can molest appropriately

Why not look at a factory turbo NB? Take your Ohlins and LSD out and transfer. Boost, cooler, exhaust, Lightyear hardtop and leave it at that.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    The convertible aspect is nice to have on the road, but means I can't do S1 tarmac rallysprints with only the rollbar - even though a closed roof car doesn't require any roll-over protection at all. It's dumb but it's not going to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Why not look at a factory turbo NB? Take your Ohlins and LSD out and transfer. Boost, cooler, exhaust, Lightyear hardtop and leave it at that.
    Does a Lightyear CF roof or even factory hardtop eliminate the issue for the S1 rallysprints?
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Does a Lightyear CF roof or even factory hardtop eliminate the issue for the S1 rallysprints?
    Nope, have checked repeatedly with cams and S1 rallysprint organisers.
    I have pointed out that it's fucking retarded given I can run roof down, or soft top, or hardtop with only a roll bar at a national level race meeting, but a full 6pt cage is required even with a hardtop to run at a club event that a 14 year old can drive in using a 200 dollar wrecker special with stock seats and lap sash belts,and no rops at all.

I even offered to run FIA seats, & 6 pt harnesses,but no dice.

One can only conclude that cunts against motorsport have NFI about risk assessment, and are not fit to govern the sport.

My current stance is that I refuse to enter any cams events, be a member of a club because cams is ruining club level motorsport and need to die in a fire...

Guido - as TCR is well aware being the owner of a Nb SE, you have to throw away all the factory turbo stuff to make an SE any good. I'm already thinking about selling the ogling and going MCA red if I keep the car... The ohlins are too softly sprung for track work.
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 11-08-17 at 10:33 AM.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    factory turbo ones seem to be listed at 13-15k

aftermarket turbo ones seem to be listed at 10k

buy 10k turbo one swap the good bits and sell the leftover?

i was worried i wouldnt be able to get good use out of mine and had been having the same contemplations

contemplations like buying a cheap stocker and putting the good bits from mine and selling my turbo one etc so i would have money left over to enter events regularly etc.

im still not 100% on what i will do but i _think_ i will take rego off it and save up for a car trailer.

its a toss up between being slower with something cheaper and doing more events or just persisting with what i have and deal with the fact that it may be only used once or twice each year until i can put more money towards taking it out

if you are skidding in nov u can take mine up the street if you want.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Good to know, during my own self flagellation I was looking up MCA reds for MXVs.

That's molto retardo re the rally sprints. Pretty sure a caged MX5 with a CF hardtop would be a lot safer in event of a rollover than a 20 year old Charade.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    factory turbo ones seem to be listed at 13-15k

aftermarket turbo ones seem to be listed at 10k

buy 10k turbo one swap the good bits and sell the leftover?

i was worried i wouldnt be able to get good use out of mine and had been having the same contemplations

contemplations like buying a cheap stocker and putting the good bits from mine and selling my turbo one etc so i would have money left over to enter events regularly etc.

im still not 100% on what i will do but i _think_ i will take rego off it and save up for a car trailer.

its a toss up between being slower with something cheaper and doing more events or just persisting with what i have and deal with the fact that it may be only used once or twice each year until i can put more money towards taking it out

if you are skidding in nov u can take mine up the street if you want.
    Rob - I am skidding, so would like to have a go.. you should come down the night before and we can have beers and talk rubbish.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    thanks for the offer that would be sweet, but realistically (and i hate to be a debbie downer in your thread) ive just spent the afternoon going over the household budget and it looks like im going to have to sell this fucking thing, its got the lot if you want it?
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Nope, have checked repeatedly with cams and S1 rallysprint organisers.
    I have pointed out that it's fucking retarded given I can run roof down, or soft top, or hardtop with only a roll bar at a national level race meeting, but a full 6pt cage is required even with a hardtop to run at a club event that a 14 year old can drive in using a 200 dollar wrecker special with stock seats and lap sash belts,and no rops at all.
    Rowds - Are there any rules for "completely custom made" cars which may look a little like an mx5?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    Rowds - Are there any rules for "completely custom made" cars which may look a little like an mx5?
    Heh, always looking for a creative interpretation like a good gingerbeer should, but no.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Good to know, during my own self flagellation I was looking up MCA reds for MXVs.

That's molto retardo re the rally sprints. Pretty sure a caged MX5 with a CF hardtop would be a lot safer in event of a rollover than a 20 year old Charade.
    If my old Charade is any indication, Rowd's MX5 as it sits now would be alot safer than a Charade.

Cheapest way to go fast is buy an NB8B with the turbo conversion done. Failing that, buy an NB8B, grab/make a basic turbo kit. Or even use the Oem SE bits. Clutch, LSD, Coilovers, seat, harness, rollbar, remove unnecessary weight and your good for sub $10k goodness.
    If you want ultra reliable cheap fun that will be capable of keeping up with decent WRX's, etc. And do lap after lap all day long. Just go with an NB8B, extractors, exhaust and the other bits. Spend the fuel savings on better tyres. I bet I could do a 1:36 at Winton with no turbo, stock motor and ECU.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

The standard MX5 dilemma. Buy because they are so awesome in near standard form.... Feel the need for more power once you hit a straight and realise you have time to make a coffee before the next corner.... Spend dollars on power... Break stuff not built for power.... Realise you've ruined a great car.... Sell car.

Your original post of what cars you've been thinking of to replace it with is like 98% same as what I go through every day in my head and then with Clayton over messages.
    Everything is a compromise.
    Especially with the budget we want to play with.
    I don't have the answer though. Sorry.

Good luck

TT- totally!

Annoyingly i went for a drive yesterday to do some bits and pieces and had a ball just cruising along, and giving it a blat out of roundabouts, top down heater on- I felt really happy afterwards...

Rob - bummer mate, given that we just spend $$$ on accommodation for a holiday next year, and we're going to Falls Creek next week, I've got no spare cash at all

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Even with the 86, which is much like a more practical MX-5, the " what might I buy next" musings go round and round and don't land anywhere short of Cayman. There's just bugger all in between these cars and big dollar stuff.

The top 3 on my list at this stage are:
    Renault Clio 182
    Renault Megane F1 Team R26 (the big bum one with the 2 doors and LSD)
    99 GC8
    None will see a track with me.
    And I like each for different reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Even with the 86, which is much like a more practical MX-5, the " what might I buy next" musings go round and round and don't land anywhere short of Cayman. There's just bugger all in between these cars and big dollar stuff.
    Yup, totally agree...

I'd be more likely to buy an 86 if it didn't have the stupid Subaru engine in it, and was a hatchback ala 1988 celica... They should have chucked a 3sge beams in it too...

I wandered past an R34 GTT today and went mmm..

TT - of those only the Megane is of vague interest, but given the I'm happiest with a turn of oppo on and my foot through the floor.....

AWD cars don't interest me at all, except on gravel.

The Clio is a wrong wheel drive mx5... So same same...

Gtt is heavy man.
    If you want rwd skyline start with 32

Roy on these and sau forums had his RB20 powered R32 with 260rwkw and tracked that thing for years.. very competitively too.

His RB20 was a $400 wrecker motor that saw over 8000rpm for thousands of kms

He eventually went 25de + t but during its 20det time was awesome.

Sounded great, went great...
    1250kg stock. Easily under 1200 with removal of simple shit.

On a track the td06-20g on a 2L didn't seem to matter.

Would suit your driving

How does a 350Z fit into this discussion? Or too heavy again?

He already mentioned that. And yes 1450+kg

Did he? Carry on, then.

I really like the KL 2.5 swapped MX5's, they sound cool and have a bit more punch everywhere. Not a turbo in the back punch, but a torquier nicer punch. The crapengineering car loves to rev too, unsure what she's done to the cams etc though. Some off the shelf rally item though I think
    Last edited by FioriGuy; 13-08-17 at 09:42 PM.

Rallyist
    Mm so I'm having a week where I'm contemplating lifes big questions at 3 am.

1. Lack of llama thrusts. After going in fro's 200sex at Wakefield, Id like something with about that level of acceleration. Can be fixed with turbo action but would cost say 10 k to do properly...
    Interesting, as having ridden in Vidal Sassoon, I was thnking that it was not that much less than the 200SX, but much nicer in terms of balance and general niceness to drive. It even had me contemplating looking at purchasing an NA/NB for a bit of fun... But I wouldn't know where to put the Datsun badges on it.
    Last edited by fro; 15-08-17 at 02:13 PM.
    Right now I'm eating scrambled egg. With a comb! Out of a shoe!

Quote Originally Posted by TT View Post
    The standard MX5 dilemma. Buy because they are so awesome in near standard form.... Feel the need for more power once you hit a straight and realise you have time to make a coffee before the next corner.... Spend dollars on power... Break stuff not built for power.... Realise you've ruined a great car.... Sell car.
    Of all of the MX5's I've had in my life, the best "fun" to drive one was dad's one owner 1990 NA6. Had under 100000kms on it when he sold it. Konis & Kings, a set of extractors, an exhaust, a Gary Stewart CAI & and the timing slightly advanced. That's it. It was sublime.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Interesting, as having ridden in Vidal Sassoon, I was thnking that it was not that much less than the 200SX, but much nicer in terms of balance and general niceness to drive. It even had me contemplating looking at purchasing an NA/NB for a bit of fun... But I wouldn't know where to put the Datsun badges on it.
    Datsun badges? MMm on a rusty Datsun at the wreckers where they belong?? (You know I secretly love the onehundredandeightybee )

It's tamer and faster without both our fat arses in it, but still very low on fasts... I've even got your commentary on that fact on the in-car! I was sad watching you tractor engine powered Datsun fly past on the straights.

Todays stupid thought, cos I'm feeling uber optimistic about life today, is that I've never gone down the turbo conversion/ aftermarket ECU path in my car owning life, perhaps this is the time to try it, regret it, and then wait 5 years and buy a Cayman S

I'm so time & skill poor I wouldn't do it myself. I'll probably just drop it in Newcastle with Nitrodann and a pile of cesh and hopefully come back with about 190- 200 rwkw.

I should though I think fix up the view cosmetic defects first- the cracked paint on the rear guard, bumper and the slight dent on the bonnet and front bumper are starting to annoy me

Or perhaps it's time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Of all of the MX5's I've had in my life, the best "fun" to drive one was dad's one owner 1990 NA6. Had under 100000kms on it when he sold it. Konis & Kings, a set of extractors, an exhaust, a Gary Stewart CAI & and the timing slightly advanced. That's it. It was sublime.
    Same with my old NA6, minimal mods, make it handle better and go have slow fun tearing up roads without attracting unwanted attention.