Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

We've had ours for 13 years now and resisted the power add - although it always sits in the wings - a modest turbo install with ECU but how long before the 50hp boost gets would up to 75hp then 100hp then a new rebuilt motor then pop goes the driveline etc etc

Suddenly tipping money into a car we currently put fuel into and drive like it's been stolen, park up for months at a time etc etc with the only expenses being annual fluids (sub 5000km) and insurance, rego & tyres based on use - and honestly that's it's sweet spot - so completely useable day to day with none of the will the gearbag go bang if I drag this commode worry.
    Last edited by Aaron; 15-08-17 at 06:02 PM.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Totally agree Cal.

Rowdy.. that guy knows his stuff. It'll be the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    Same with my old NA6, minimal mods, make it handle better and go have slow fun tearing up roads without attracting unwanted attention.
    Agree- it works mostly fine on the roads-only really annoying that my nopics grocery getter SP25 mazda 3 is about lots faster in a straight line- getting wasted to 100 km/hr by your nopics with the 5 year old in the car is funny once... but it gets old!
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 15-08-17 at 06:08 PM.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Would an engine swap to a punchier NA like a SP25 type unit be an option... if you kept the MX5?
    Or is the turbo just so doable?
    Silly sticky slicks?

There was a NitroDann vid on his FB page recently... pretty impressive.

As I said to fro about an hour ago. The sp25 into Nb requires custom everything. X member, a trans x member, new diff front mount. The intake and exhaust are on the wrong side, the gearbag is different so the pff has to be binned..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Oh and Danns video gave me wood..

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Just turbo the thing.

Run a sane amount of boost so you won't grenade the drivetrain and you'll have pretty much the perfect car (if only it had a roof).
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Having said all that about atmo MX5s, I took rorges one for a quick squirt before he rorged it again..
    His one was making about 160rwkw at the time..
    1.6L, 6 speed with the tallest gear diff (3.7)
    Compared to my NA vvti 1.8L with the same gearbox and diff I thought it would be doughy till at least above 4k RPM. But I was disgusted when it was easily more torquey even as low as 2000rpm.
    His one is stripped-ish so they probably helps.
    But man once boost actually hit it was truly something else.
    It's not like I haven't been in a turbo car either.

Boost away rowds.
    Last edited by TT; 18-08-17 at 07:39 PM.

I drove Rorges when he first turbod it in Canberra, and it was fucking hilariously awesome..

TT and Frinky - yeah just gotta accumulate the cash.

That said I went for a cotter run after work today and it was just so nice at speed on the open road, so perfectly balanced, approachable, not 'quick' but happy as, and easy to hit a buck fifty, between bends in the wet

...and Rocket Bunny type flare kit?

On a slightly more serious note, despite being a fan of big bolt-ons, and flares, is there an optimum driveline best/better suited to an aftermarket turbo install? Year X engine of Y capacity, Z gearbox with a A.BC diff?
    Last edited by buzz; 18-08-17 at 11:54 PM.

Seems pretty common to go away from the VVT head when building for boost.

The 6-speeds in factory turbo cars are "stronger".

The LSDs are probably best left to the aftermarket.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Beavis and lightyear would know better than I, but I suspect an nb8b withthr factory VVT engine (2001 on), 6 speed box and a 3.63 ratio diff (with a torsen ) would be best from a factory point of view.

Oh and no rocket bunny anything...

Would it be cheaper to detune your nopics car?
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Would it be cheaper to detune your nopics car?
    Then everyone would be sad...

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Beavis and lightyear would know better than I, but I suspect an nb8b withthr factory VVT engine (2001 on), 6 speed box and a 3.63 ratio diff (with a torsen ) would be best from a factory point of view.
    Really depends what you want out of this car. I have had quite a few MX5s and driven plenty, so speaking factory then I would go NC. That said, I never owned one as I just didn't like them for what I was looking for. Better daily car, but not better MX5. Once you add mods into the equation, then its all bets off.

My last one was a 03 with 6spd, Torsen 3.636 and VVT head. With the bits I did to it, I thought it was a really nice road car and put up well with the occasional foray to the track of some closed twisty tarmac. In terms of power though, it was no faster than our previous 10AE (also with Torsen and 6spd). Note I am not talking cars modified with doing roundie roundies as its main purpose. Now that I have been MX5-less for 6 months, after 22years of various MX5s, I am on the lookout for another one but I am extremely picky this time as its one that I aim to keep forever.
    Motorsport is a disease, where poverty is the only cure
    The ego writes cheques that skill can't cash - DJ

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Fuck this discussion, you're making me miss my NB.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Sorry mate!

I had the best time today in a stock excel.... Damn people conspiring to get me competing on dirt again...
    Then I find someone is selling a commodore Ute khanacross car cheap... Divorce isn't that expensive is it...

Quote Originally Posted by T99 View Post
    Really depends what you want out of this car. I have had quite a few MX5s and driven plenty, so speaking factory then I would go NC. That said, I never owned one as I just didn't like them for what I was looking for. Better daily car, but not better MX5. Once you add mods into the equation, then its all bets off.

My last one was a 03 with 6spd, Torsen 3.636 and VVT head. With the bits I did to it, I thought it was a really nice road car and put up well with the occasional foray to the track of some closed twisty tarmac. In terms of power though, it was no faster than our previous 10AE (also with Torsen and 6spd). Note I am not talking cars modified with doing roundie roundies as its main purpose. Now that I have been MX5-less for 6 months, after 22years of various MX5s, I am on the lookout for another one but I am extremely picky this time as its one that I aim to keep forever.
    All things to all people?.... in which case it'd be an F40,obviously.

Really, its a selfish 'me' car, that goes to the track. I drive it solo 99 % of the time. I sometimes drive it the 15 minutes to work but, otherwise it's country road runs and popping down to cars, cunts and coffee

I love everything about it except the lack of push in the back, especially on the track.

The fact that cams S1 rallysprint regs are retarded is not the fault of the car, cos the open top is really enjoyable on a day like today, and I think I'd miss that..

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    It is about to be introduced to bright green buddy club P1's... though it is on a battery charger at the mo.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    It is about to be introduced to bright green buddy club P1's... though it is on a battery charger at the mo.
    Pics?