Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Hehe.. Finding someone who'll sell me one is harder than I thought though!
    Hah. Rear brake upgrade then!

Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Yeah, nah.... looks like I might have a line of something stock for ok $$.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Engine mounts changed( drivers side was busted) , cam cover gasket changed. Replacement cam cover breather hose ordered - was totally brittle and fell apart on removal..

Springs here tomorrow. (nopics filed the redelivery card in the mailbox while I was away for work last week)

Only lack of action re brakes is annoying me-both on terms of pad replacement and caliper stuffs...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

You need the rear caliber mounting bracket? Without digging back too far do you have the 276mm rears or the 250ish size?

If 250ish you can use the brackets from a Laser/323 and it should be fine. I use MX5 brackets on cut-down to 276mm Mazda6 rotors on a Laser and the mods to the brackets were to accomodate the hat height of the 5-stud Mazda6 rotors. The 4-stud MX5 rotors were a bolt on. (Using Laser calipers in MX5 brackets)
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Man. With the price that people want for the 276mm sport calipers and the hassle of siding calipers it is almost cheaper to go a Wilwood upgrade.

If you need 250s there are some on mx5cartalk

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Man. With the price that people want for the 276mm sport calipers and the hassle of siding calipers it is almost cheaper to go a Wilwood upgrade.

If you need 250s there are some on mx5cartalk
    Have messaged 250s guy. He's getting back to me.

Aaron - tops, that opens the field.

Takai - ta for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Aaron - tops, that opens the field.

Takai - ta for the heads up.
    I may (emphasis on may) have a pair of the 250ish caliper brackets in my milk crate of Mazda calipers. Will look shortly. I know I had a complete spare set of calipers from my 5 stud conversion, plus the 4 stud brackets I took off.

I bought my 276mm brackets brand new from Maruha in Japan for like $180 years ago... donít know how that compares to todayís prices.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I may (emphasis on may) have a pair of the 250ish caliper brackets in my milk crate of Mazda calipers. Will look shortly. I know I had a complete spare set of calipers from my 5 stud conversion, plus the 4 stud brackets I took off.

I bought my 276mm brackets brand new from Maruha in Japan for like $180 years ago... donít know how that compares to todayís prices.
    People are wanting $700 or so for NB8B brakes these days. But you can get Wilwood setups for $1k or so...
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Thanks Aaron appreciate the effort!

And success. I probably donít have another slide pin but you should be able to salvage that. This is my last set of rears.

They need a wire brush over for some surface corrosion but are sound.

Yours for the grand price of whatever you think theyíre worth if they fit. If they donít Iíll grab back for the day when Laser parts become rare

I canít believe the pricing of the NB bits - the calipers swap, so itís just the brackets that are needed - we did a bunch of Lasers/323s back in the day using the brackets from Maruha (because cheap/easy)

A.
    ---

And success. I probably donít have another slide pin but you should be able to salvage that. This is my last set of rears.

They need a wire brush over for some surface corrosion but are sound.

Yours for the grand price of whatever you think theyíre worth if they fit. If they donít Iíll grab back for the day when Laser parts become rare

I canít believe the pricing of the NB bits - the calipers swap, so itís just the brackets that are needed - we did a bunch of Lasers/323s back in the day using the brackets from Maruha (because cheap/easy)

A.
    Perfect. I'm sure we can worn something out...

Yeah I don't get the price either... I can't work out the Maruha price for just the brackets... On those current website... I'm sure it's cheaper though than nb8b brakes here...

A.
    Nah, sport calipers are different apparently, not just the brackets but pistons are larger and master is 15/16th.

Apparently its relatively common to use a Wilwood 1" MC for the master, but you still need the NB8B 'Sport' calipers.

Edit: this is for the rears, fronts are apparently the same caliper, just different brackets.

Edit2: this Maruha kit doesnt look bad, $233 for caliper brackets to fit the 274mm disc.
    http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/miata/parts/rearcon.html
    Last edited by takai; 13-03-18 at 04:52 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Ahh to be fair I could look at the MX5 and compare pistons to my v6 Astina vs 1.8 Laser (both 250ish) calipers to be sure.

That said the Laser runs a 15/16 master and the 1Ē 929 master is an option for more fluid movement.

I was pretty sure pistons were common across the board though.
    ---

Ohh yeah I used to buy the $209 option but it was cheaper 10 years ago
    ---

Ohh yeah I used to buy the $209 option but it was cheaper 10 years ago
    Wasn't everything cheaper 10 years ago.

Still the $209 option does look good for a rear upgrade, depending on how much the package of front and rear Wilwoods costs delivered.

Would have to put up with hated sliding calipers though....
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

The Willwood brakes are pretty cheap, and you save 7kg's just in the front.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    The Willwood brakes are pretty cheap, and you save 7kg's just in the front.
    Yeah, does count as one mod for Clubman category, although that is probably one of the better mods to take.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

You want to run in Clubman class in the MX5 club? I would not do brakes as part of the 4 mods. Service them, they work find standard.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

You want to run in Clubman class in the MX5 club? I would not do brakes as part of the 4 mods. Service them, they work find standard.
    The lightyear, he knows

Boing!

Aaron - PM sent

Interesting, will have to think more. Ill start some thoughts up in my thread.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

OK so 11 and 7 kg/mm springs are installed. Not a hard job just takes time to work out a system for doing the fronts. I reckon I could do the whole lot in 2 hours no stress now.

Just letting them settle before reset the ride heights back to what they were. Rides firmer but not horribly on the road..

Aaron dropped in his caliper brackets over on Friday, but while they are the right part, the caliper body on mine won't come off the bent slide pin, even with some heat and percussive encouragement, so time for another solution.

I'll work out how to drop them back to you Aaron. Thanks for dropping them off.

Gunna get another set of rear calipers and brackets, chuck some new slide pins and rubbers on them and we'll be good to go.

Hang onto the brackets until you know that your replacement calipers donít need them. Iíd still suggest looking into 1.8L (or v6) Astina/323/Laser calipers for basically zero bucks used with a rebuild kit. Your handbrake cable attachment may be different but those bits are able to be swapped.

I do have fully rebuilt calipers sitting here for the Lynx if you really really get stuck with a time crunch.

Otherwise bring the brackets to llama, or Iíll swing up and collect them in a week or two. (Iím flat out next week, and would never actually ask anyone to step foot in this suburb). LOL
    ---

Thanks mate. I bring them to llama lunch, this week is fucked for me too!

So took this for a quick strap to make sure nothing was going to fall off..

Definite handling improvement, and now can use more of the grip without it stepping sideways at full throttle in 2nd out of tight corners, so hopefully will be faster in the track. Seems to be a bit more understeer in the balance, but that's no bad thing on the compared to the oversteer i was battling before. Bit jiggly over some short sharp undulations in the road even with the shocks set
    towards the soft end but not thumpy or horrible.

Fixed the tiny coolant weep from the thermostat housing, and ran it up to temperature in the shed, ran a touch warm while out testing the handling which was odd, but cooled down once I backed off and hasn't lost a drop. Assume that it was just needing a good burp as the thermostat is nearly new, and the oversided radiator and coolant are in good nick.
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 18-03-18 at 02:27 PM.

new rear calipers etc are on the way to me from Shitney. should be here just in time for me to go away for the w/end ... lol. looks like Sunday night will be busy..

Was going to buy new semi slicks, but figure I should try and see if I can run a 1.12 with the RS3s, and then shoot for a 10 with some proper semi's.

Really hankering for more powahz now though... feels so slow..

What did you end up doing with the calipers? I notice that FlyinMiata have a dogbone adapter to use an 11" rotor, which i presume is the standard MX5 rear rotor:
    https://www.flyinmiata.com/1-6-11-re...e-upgrade.html

Wonder if anyone else does an upgrade dogbone.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Hi Chris,

I sourced a pair of s/h calipers & brackets cheap, ran a new set of seals and new slide pins through the one I needed, and bolted it on and quickly bled it. I haven't actually driven the car, so I expect it'll need a proper bleed again before I do.

Aaron's brackets are safely on the shelf, as is the spare caliper for the other side.

yeah just a pair of dogbones would be good- sourcing rotors locally would seem to be more sensible shipping wise, and I don't need lines or pads either.

Bought a cooling reroute as well last week, just cos, and also a catch can. Will also look at an oil cooler- I think we can see where this is heading....