Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

Quote Originally Posted by zossy1 View Post
    I think you'll like the Cusco. I've heard good things about them.

I found the limits of the Torsen - lifting the inside rear on corners like T8 at SMP or the Fishhook at WP. When the wheel lifts, the Torsen turned into an open diff.

My car has an OSG now - no complaints.
    Yeah given Wakefield is my 'local' the fish-hook is a particular concern...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Pending leave approval- 18th May marks the track debut of this thing. Took it for a quick blat on Saturday and experienced understeer in the dry- just a little, but also some nice throttle balance. god it's slow though- I think from 20 - 100 km/hr my Colorado is faster

the to do list is pretty short ,and consists of things I'd be doing anyway

Fit harness reinforcing plates for the lap belts
    Fit proper front tow hook (already 1/2 finished)
    Wheel alignment - needs some neg on the front to make the semi's work properly.
    Sort out in-car camera placement- getting centred and low enough off the roll bar is tricky.
    Brake bleed.

S/h "new' windscreen cowl trim is on its way

got the Cusco quote from Streeter corp today- 1200 shipped- which then means GST- so 1320 ish landed, which is still much better than anyone here. Going to order in the next day or so.
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 09-05-16 at 01:47 PM.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

I'm fairly sure you need one of these...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	91989

I'm putting mine in today!
    '10 Forester Diesel 6Spd - Slow and sensible
    '93 SWB Pajero - Slow but scary
    '89 MX5 B6-T - Scary not slow

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    did he quote you on the Giken as well?
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Ooh sexy.

Nah didn't worry about the giken, too exxy methinks.

Soo this now has a red tow hook on the front, and a blue battery triangle.

Also has a 'new' s/h windscreen cowl trim to replace the broken one - $50 bucks well spent.

For some reason I seem to have given all my harness reinforcing plates away and the harness install will have to wait til next time.

Going to trackschool @ wakefield tomorrow and am driving up and back in the mx-5, not towing it-brave of me huh!

have done about 300 hardish road km in it now and am pretty used to it, just gotta swap onto the semi-slicks tonight cos I don't wanna destroy the almost new pilot sports it has on it, and take the hearing protection for the drive up!

My only concerns will be a) will the HP+ pads hold up on the track, and b) will I be able to get home to make daycare pick up!

Really excited

Seeing as how the whole idea of an MX5 is to not lose speed in corners, I can't see the brakes getting a flogging.
    Good luck!
    Fortitudo et Superbiam

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post

Really excited
    Have fun dude!
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ914 View Post
    Have fun dude!
    Plenty of fun was had... Ended up towing up, just cos it's easier to make sure you can get home, if you have to go and pick the boy up when you get back.

Lovely weather out at the track too. Sunny and surprisingly warm

First session ran around to get a feel and ran 1.16 which was slower than I'd like. Dropped the tyre pressures, and went back out for session 2 and never got a clean lap but felt like there was more in it.

1.14s came easily and I managed a 13.8 in the last session.

Kept on dropping the tyre pressures after each session and there was just more grip every time - just need to use more of it...

Open diff was killing me out of the fish-hook and onto the front straight. Needs at least 2 degrees neg on the front too.

Ran about 50 laps in total, didn't use a drop of oil didn't get hot etc. Easy on fuel too. Chucked 10 litres in once it got down to a third.

Brakes got very hot and stinky and the end of each run but no appreciable fade. I think they are properly bedded in now so no more squealing at low speed.

Very happy with the car, I fully fully fully get why people love them... Sooo chuckable, adjustable and docile. I threw the thing at corners and up kerbs with ehem , gay abandon and it just did what was asked. So adjustable on the limit too...

Had a couple of big slides and went completely agricultural out onto the main straight once I but kept in pegged and sideways on the dirt...

Some serious gear out there today. Most 'surprising' was the white m235i convertible running 1.10s, while looking like a Double Bay ladies of the long luncheon mobile

I did discover that stock Toyota 86 are not much faster on a straight line than my thing too.

Not much in car video, cos I didn't plan well enough and didnt check the height on the roll bar mount- which means you can see the dash and that's about it.

Good stuff Rowds, shame i couldn't get down there today. (Car could have been ready, but had work commitments)

Natsoft has you at 11.4 by the way...
    The older i get, the better i was...

Yeah I wasn't going to mention the 11.4 cos it's clearly bullshit...

Would have been great to see you. There were a couple of poosars running today
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 18-05-16 at 10:13 PM.

Was hoping to be there, just got stuck with meetings in the City i couldn't dodge mate. Been doing my GM's job since he bailed a couple of months ago.

Still 50/50 if i can take Friday off to at least get some seat time before Sunday's meet...

You'd have to be pretty happy with that first time out yeah ?
    The older i get, the better i was...

Sounds like the start of something beautiful....
    So, new diff centre coming... is it still the standard ratio? How did you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Was hoping to be there, just got stuck with meetings in the City i couldn't dodge mate. Been doing my GM's job since he bailed a couple of months ago.

Still 50/50 if i can take Friday off to at least get some seat time before Sunday's meet...

You'd have to be pretty happy with that first time out yeah ?
    Yeah I know that feeling re: meetings and shit you can't delegate.

I leaned on my team and my family time pretty hard this week so I could go today. Also helps that my boss is a car nut. I sent her a couple of pics and updates and she was pretty impressed.

Yeah stoked for first time out. Have a clear direction in the immediate future.

Im going to make a deal with myself that I can't go engine mods ( turbo) til I'm running (real) 11s.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Sounds like the start of something beautiful....
    So, new diff centre coming... is it still the standard ratio? How did you find that?
    Lol. Yeah still standard ratio.. I could drop to 4.3 but when I go turbo it'll be too short.

I was hitting the limiter in 3rd just before braking into the last turn most laps,and ended up changing up into 4th a little earlier to get some more speed, which worked.

Two other things of note :I missed about 4 shifts from 2nd to third and got 5th...uggg..

A side mount seat bolt came slightly loose and being a US built seat and mount the Allen head bolt was imperial.. So I couldn't do it up, only created a minor but annoying movement in the seat.

A 1:11 should be achievable. I did a 1:10 on my first try, but that was a very hot, windy and dusty day. The only time my car ever had understeer was at that track. That was with a standard motor and ECU, full exhaust, torsen 4.3, standard air box (class rules), full interior, oem roof, no aero, etc. Nitto NT01's. Brendan also did a 1:10. His had a stripped interior and stuff, but standard oem driveline like mine.
    Last edited by lightyear; 19-05-16 at 07:34 AM.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    A 1:11 should be achievable. I did a 1:10 on my first try, but that was a very hot, windy and dusty day. The only time my car ever had understeer was at that track. That was with a standard motor, ECU, full exhaust, torsen 4.3, standard air box (class rules), full interior, oem roof, no aero, etc. Nitto NT01's. Brendan also did a 1:10. His had a stripped interior and stuff, but standard oem driveline like mine.
    Yeah I think so too. There is some time in the tyres, alignment, diff and driver for sure. The FZ-201s are not a fast tyre to start with, are 3 years old, and have done at least 130 laps of wakefield...

nice one rowds

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Two other things of note :I missed about 4 shifts from 2nd to third and got 5th...uggg..
    Odd - I found the gearbox in mine to be one of the best manuals I've ever used, never had any issues with shifting.

Good to see you've got the right car for what you wanted to do with it

As a "bang for your buck" track day car they're hard to go past. Sounds like a good day out.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Odd - I found the gearbox in mine to be one of the best manuals I've ever used, never had any issues with shifting.

Good to see you've got the right car for what you wanted to do with it
    just excuses for his rubbish times

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    A 1:11 should be achievable. I did a 1:10 on my first try, but that was a very hot, windy and dusty day. The only time my car ever had understeer was at that track. That was with a standard motor and ECU, full exhaust, torsen 4.3, standard air box (class rules), full interior, oem roof, no aero, etc. Nitto NT01's. Brendan also did a 1:10. His had a stripped interior and stuff, but standard oem driveline like mine.
    There you go - a target.
    As it is, running 13's you are still faster than rotor guys with half as much to twice as much power. And faster than numpties in STi's.

Rowds, have you met Peter Browning from SDMA? He is one of those unassuming old guys who will take a stock mx5 and run rings around things with a lot more power.

Marco- agreed. I'm just a mong.. 😉

TCR - yeah totally. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Buzz - no, I haven't met him. I did have a long chat the an older guy with a nb race car (flares, aero, built Na motor etc) yesterday who was pleased that someone was running decent times in a pretty mild car, cos apparently some mx5 club people think 16s is as fast as an nb8a can go . He's running 11 s in a car that has done 9s, and reckoned I'd be as fast soon enough.

Peter B was the original owner of the ex JW s1 rally car that became a Group C replica, then went to Pedro H who ran it as a hillclimb sports sedan. Peter B has I think a gold NB now - he has previously punted a 1600cc MX5 to a SDMA lap record of a 48 flat... in type 4 class. I think the same car did 1:09 a Wakefield. It was originally turbo but he ditched that for a Mark Banyard ported head and some proper tyres and went faster. You will likely find him at SDMA one Sunday - he is good at squeezing results out of optimised but relatively basic packages.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Marco- agreed. I'm just a mong.. ��
    Lol. To be fair, I didn't drive mine at track pace so who knows what could have happened.

Awesome stuff rowds!!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Thanks Jim.

I'm contemplating entering the 2 lapper Hill climb on the 5th of June, and have organised some extended lower balljoints to get some neg camber on the front.

I just need to sort the nopics new car thus weekend before I can commit.

more info in extended lower ball joints?

They effectively push the bottom of the upright outwards so you get more neg camber and slightly wider track.

There was a group buy on mx5 cartalk a few months back and the dude who organised it has 10 sets or so left over. 215 bucks per pair plus post. He's Canberra based so I'm going to go meet him on Wednesday lunchtime to grab my set.

I never touched the suspension on any of my cars - Besides coilovers and a front swaybar. The first one got urethane bushes. Didn't notice any difference. What makes you think you need more camber than what is available oem? I can only see that it would help if your running at the standard ride height.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5