Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

It was pretty clear on Wednesday that the outside edges of the front tyres were getting a pretty big work out compared to the inner 1/3. To get more front end grip I need to make better use of the full width of the tyre, which means adding static camber and keeping as much caster as possible. Past experience has shown that offset bushes and crank bolts are unreliable for keeping camber consistent under heavy lateral load so avoiding that.
    If you use the standard front lower arm adjustment you can get enough camber but compromise caster, and because it effectively pushes the wheel backwards.
    Using extended ball joints means you can get the camber you want without losing any caster.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

https://youtu.be/MDbMYzsZwgc

one of the two sessions I remembered to turn the camera on and had it pointing in the right direction

Nothing special, but you can get a sense of the inside wheelspin out of the fishhook and turn 10.

The 1.13.85 isn' t on camera, but the next vid that uploads has quite a few low 1.14s in it.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Past experience has shown that offset bushes and crank bolts are unreliable for keeping camber consistent under heavy lateral load so avoiding that.
    That has not been my experience racing these things for many years.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    That has not been my experience racing these things for many years.
    Good to know. On other cars I've never had good experiences, so prefer to do things differently if possible.

The guy I got the ball joints off is building a Catfish (mx5 based space frame chassis) here in Canberra, should be interesting.

Drove him from a gig at midnight in this last night. 2 degrees, still, starry night,roof down, heater on, throttle mashed down the back roads, induction roar, the occasional pop and crackle on the overrun...

I think I'm getting to understand open top motoring...

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Yep - what you just described is the magic of it. The heightened connection to everything that is going on in and around the car.

The guy I got the ball joints off is building a Catfish (mx5 based space frame chassis) here in Canberra, should be interesting.

Drove him from a gig at midnight in this last night. 2 degrees, still, starry night,roof down, heater on, throttle mashed down the back roads, induction roar, the occasional pop and crackle on the overrun...
    So... you made it to 2nd base huh?

Still up for the hillclimb this weekend?

Lmao... Oops.

Nah ran out of time to get organised and have to make a quick trip to Sydney to pick up the nopics new car

It's been an odd week thus far, and time at home will be needed to recover

So some photos turned up..

Photos by Dave Oliver from dophoto.com.au

I have contacted Dave to ask for hires versions

Number plate is pissed WNB.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

It's straight now.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    It's straight now.
    [insert obvious MX-5 joke here]

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    It's pretty close to straight in the first picture...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    [insert obvious MX-5 joke here]

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wilson View Post
    It's pretty close to straight in the first picture...
    Winner

I like how the passenger side looks more heavily loaded when the opposite side is on the ground versus when it is totally off the ground.
    Even with the 7.5's there is plenty of tyre space.

So, thoughts on needs to go faster: more power / more stick to road / more testicular fortitude?

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    I like how the passenger side looks more heavily loaded when the opposite side is on the ground versus when it is totally off the ground.
    Even with the 7.5's there is plenty of tyre space.

So, thoughts on needs to go faster: more power / more stick to road / more testicular fortitude?
    There was more speed on board in the on t hr e ground shot - so more load.

Those rims are not the 7.5s that are 7s.

Given The Lightyear has run a 1.10 on a stock motor with no aero.speed will come from wheel alignment(more camberz) , LSD,and then moving to a faster tyre(FZ-201s are durable as fuck but slow for a semislick). Providing I get my shit together a 10 is doable

Nice car rowdytoot, I was looking through the thread to see what pads you were running (good pads you say at the start) but couldn't see it. Probably just blind!
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm trying to decide what pads to run on my NB for 6 hour regularity's - we had some EBC yellows which were ok but the feel wasn't great on one set, we then switched to TRW's which couldn't handle the heat at Mallala a month ago and now considering DS2500's. Am looking for pads which are ok on street as well as can handle an hour flat out on the track. Any recommendations from you (or any of the other MX5 guys reading this thread - the Lightyear)?

Ok I found it Hawk HP+? The internet tells me these aren't that good for track work so surprised they held up ok, I guess Wakefield isn't that hard on brakes with only 2 hard stops from not that fast? I think I'm leaning towards the DS2500's at this stage.

I was as surprised as anyone that the HP± held up.
    I had a convo with Greg from Brakes Direct yesterday about better pads and new rotors. Forza FP3 is where I'll head next as an improvement, and rock A1RM on the back.

But this is for a street /track day car running 12 minute sessions
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 04-06-16 at 11:19 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 12arx3 View Post
    Ok I found it Hawk HP+? The internet tells me these aren't that good for track work so surprised they held up ok, I guess Wakefield isn't that hard on brakes with only 2 hard stops from not that fast? I think I'm leaning towards the DS2500's at this stage.
    W6.5 winmx or even w5. walk all over ds2500

I would use Hawk blue. Be aware that if you drive on the street, you need to bed the brakes in ea time before going on the track.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    Depends how fast you are going for the Hawk HP+
    I ran them on my old thing, and they were flawless, about 120laps of wakefield in a day was nothing, not a hint of fade.
    That said, my car had 60rwkw.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Quote Originally Posted by trent from punchy View Post
    Depends how fast you are going for the Hawk HP+
    I ran them on my old thing, and they were flawless, about 120laps of wakefield in a day was nothing, not a hint of fade.
    That said, my car had 60rwkw.
    Mine didn't fade but at by the 9th lap of a session they were really hot and stinky. Another 2 laps they would have gone for sure.

Brakes definately need a bleed now!

I used to run ds3000 on the rally car and never had to rebed them even after a year sitting then a driving around town getting wheel alignment and scruitineered and driving to events. They were good to go as soon as they had a touch of heat in them.

Quote Originally Posted by CosRat View Post
    W6.5 winmx or even w5. walk all over ds2500
    Thanks, but W6.5 sounds like a track only pad from the spiel, while W5 might be ok for street as well. Will consider the W5.

Lightyear - my concern on Hawk Blue is squealing on the street, have had them before and they can be noisy so will probably avoid them for that reason at this stage.
    Last edited by 12arx3; 05-06-16 at 09:32 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 12arx3 View Post
    Thanks, but W6.5 sounds like a track only pad from the spiel, while W5 might be ok for street as well. Will consider the W5.

Lightyear - my concern on Hawk Blue is squealing on the street, have had them before and they can be noisy so will probably avoid them for that reason at this stage.
    dont look at the spiel, look at the numbers

So this is still epic fun went for a run up to corin dam during the week, quiet slightly damp roads etc etc.

I actually really enjoyed going pretty rapidly with the top down.

Open diff is definately poo though,abd the more I get at home with the car the more it annoys me.

Did a couple dodgy gps 0-100 km hr runs with race chrono and my 10hz bluetoof gps and ended up with a best of 8.8 seconds on a straight that rose about 5 metres. Might get low 8s on a good day! Lol..
    Still will top a gps indicated 170 roof down...

So impromptu Hills runs are now a thing.....

Took a couple of photos as well

Cusco diff is on its way from Japan,and will arrange installation etc for the 2nd week of July all things being equal. Then wheel alignment with new extended balljoints before we head back to the track.

So impromptu Hills runs are now a thing.....

Took a couple of photos as well

Cusco diff is on its way from Japan,and will arrange installation etc for the 2nd week of July all things being equal. Then wheel alignment with new extended balljoints before we head back to the track.
    What tyres are you going to be running at the track?

Quote Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
    What tyres are you going to be running at the track?
    Federal FZ-201s - which have ~ 150 laps on them. Will leave them on for the next track day to get max wear out and work out how much time the diff and alignment are worth. once I'm down into the low 12s, high 11s, i'll get some decent tyres. and see how close to a 1.09 I can get Intell suggests ~2 seconds/lap for the diff, alignment, and a few brave pills, and close to 2 seconds for the tyres.

anyway here are a couple of recent pics

Last edited by rowdytoot; 21-06-16 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    I would use Hawk blue. Be aware that if you drive on the street, you need to bed the brakes in ea time before going on the track.
    I've tried most pads at some point and used Hawk Blues for a long time. However, once I changed to Carbotech's, I never looked back. My race car is road registered, so I need something that can handle a very broad heat range. I run XP12's on the front and XP10's on the rear and find them to stop as well or better, last longer, chew rotors less and far less dusty than the Hawks.

PS put some Castrol SRF in it and you'll never change the fluid again.
    Last edited by Cal; 22-06-16 at 11:12 AM.