Thread: School me on Porsche Cayenne

School me on Porsche Cayenne

As per the title - looking to buy an early Porsche Cayenne S (2004-ish). I want to take the thing off-road and give it hard time in sand etc. Apart from good off-road tyres, what do I need to look out for in potential cars / or modifications?

Plenty of issues well documented with bore coatings on the non turbo 8's.

i'm about to do the same thing, except a later year model (07-08 and hopefully turbo). there are quite a few cayenne owners on here

pipes in the V being plastic fail, but most have been replaced by now.
    driveshaft (but uncle aka Mike Lowerrryyyy has changed one on the driveway at home without using a jack/hoist)
    according to my mechanic the engines are bulletproof
    my mechanic has done a couple of front diffs, at $6k each... but considering how many Cayennes they service it isn't that bad
    a lot of car for not much money, and with the majority of parts you can pick and choose between Touareg and Cayenne parts whichever is cheaper/easier to get

Porsche wants $100 a litre for gearbox fluid (and there's 8 litres or so) and the manual says 'return to dealer' but it's Esso JWS 3309 underneath. I'm yet to work out what the gearbox oil is but i'm sure it'll be just as easy.

I'm in the process of sorting out a PIWIS too (rather than a durametric) so you can do all the other 'porsche only' fancy stuff
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 26-04-16 at 08:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

I've had an 07 V8 for a couple of years. It has spent plenty of time in low 4x4, covered in dust and working hard.
    The off road options (diff locks, skid plates) are meant to be good, but don't come up very often. Mine does fine without them.
    If you want to tow, find one with a tow bar. They're a few thousand $ to fit later...

Thanks Grungle - I'm curious about the "off-road options" are they something that comes standard on particular models, or is it completely optional?

All options I think. I looked for a few months and they never came up. A few said they did, but when I asked a few more questions they said they 'assumed' it had diff locks.
    I don't know what this guy's story is, but this has been for sale for at least 12 months. It doesn't seem to have the option packs, but he has dropped a hell of a lot of money into it.
    http://<br /> https://www.carsales.c...SSE-AD-3510200

Although, I think the air suspension is standard on the S and turbos.

PB1, PB2, PB3 and PB4 are the codes for the off road packs, they're options. I'll check next time if PET has the actual parts list for them

PB1 = Includes Hydraulically disconnectable front and rear off road stabilizer bars, electronically controlled rear axle differential lock, rocker panel protection with integrated skid plates, reinforced engine skid plate, headlamp washer system, second tow lug, and additional protection for the fuel tank and rear axle. (Use this code when Bi-Xenon lamps and Off-Road Design package are not desired).

page 22:
    http://www.laneholloway.com/wp-conte...ne_s_turbo.pdf
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 26-04-16 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungle View Post
    All options I think. I looked for a few months and they never came up. A few said they did, but when I asked a few more questions they said they 'assumed' it had diff locks.
    I don't know what this guy's story is, but this has been for sale for at least 12 months. It doesn't seem to have the option packs, but he has dropped a hell of a lot of money into it.
    http://<br /> https://www.carsales....SSE-AD-3510200

Although, I think the air suspension is standard on the S and turbos.
    I saw that car a while ago. In fact, that is what inspired me!

I've looked at a few S models and not all had the air suspension installed. These were 2003-2004 models though. All the Turbo ones I've seen have had it.

It wasn't uncommon at the first service (20k km) to replace front brakes (with the rear brakes getting low) and for all the tyres to be replaced.
    They are pretty thirsty too, that shouldn't be a surprise though.
    The dealership I worked at gave Cayenne customers a free guided 4wd day in the blue mountains and a couple of us went out to help in case anything went wrong. I was totally blown away by how capable they are just in standard trim/road tyres etc.
    If you can afford to keep tyres and brakes up to it go for it.

Okay folks - had a look at a 2005 Turbo today.

I only had time to have a quick look over it. It doesn't have the factory off-road pack, but does have the air suspension & center diff lock thing. I take it that this is pretty standard, but will the stock setup (albeit with better tires) be capable of getting off-road or should I try and hold out for the off-road pack?

I recently bought a 2009 diesel. I love it, gets low 7L/100kms on the highway and has the steel suspension so should be less maintenance than air.
    I'm thinking of putting some Rally/Dakar type wheels on it and some more aggressive AT tyres for shits and giggles.

As an update, I ended up getting a 2006 955 Cayenne Turbo. I've had it for about a year now and it has been awesome. Recently changed over to off-road wheels and tyres and have done some basic 4wd'ing with it.

Good to hear! They are a lot of car for the money (used).

Quote Originally Posted by Berty View Post
    As an update, I ended up getting a 2006 955 Cayenne Turbo. I've had it for about a year now and it has been awesome. Recently changed over to off-road wheels and tyres and have done some basic 4wd'ing with it.
    Gotta say I have found myself perusing the Turbos on Carsales and I'm stunned by what you can buy for a relatively small amount of coin.
    Glad to read you've had a good run.

Amazing that something with so much on-road performance can go off-road too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    PB1, PB2, PB3 and PB4 are the codes for the off road packs, they're options. I'll check next time if PET has the actual parts list for them

PB1 = Includes Hydraulically disconnectable front and rear off road stabilizer bars, electronically controlled rear axle differential lock, rocker panel protection with integrated skid plates, reinforced engine skid plate, headlamp washer system, second tow lug, and additional protection for the fuel tank and rear axle. (Use this code when Bi-Xenon lamps and Off-Road Design package are not desired).

page 22:
    http://www.laneholloway.com/wp-conte...ne_s_turbo.pdf
    So did yours come with all the cool offroad shit Stix posted here? As much as I'd cringe taking a boosted porsche off road I reckon I'd get over it pretty quick roosting cunts on the beach with v8 whoosh noises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Is there a particular point/model year that is a sweet spot for the Cayenne in terms of current price vs reliability/quality?

The 2004 turbos are pretty good value on paper but is it better to get a 2006+ non-turbo vs an early turbo?

I've always liked Cayennes even the older ones and a lot of the ~2004 seem to have relatively low Kms.

Did they ever do white ones? Just about all I've seen of the early models are black, light silver or gunmetal grey metallic. Because I'm a bit weird (and the car would spend most of it's life in full sun) I think a white one with black wheels would be cool.
    Yes we Chemistry

I love these things. a mate has a Turbo S with the locking diffs etc and its fucking awesome 4x4ing in sand/mud in something with 330kw.

will reassess my opinion when he manages to break something expensive.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 22-03-17 at 02:07 PM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post

Did they ever do white ones? Just about all I've seen of the early models are black, light silver or gunmetal grey metallic. Because I'm a bit weird (and the car would spend most of it's life in full sun) I think a white one with black wheels would be cool.
    Mine's white.

Funnily enough I saw two white ones on the way home from work today! But neither were the older (9PA?) models. There's only one white one on car sales under $40k

if you're buying an 04/05 Cayenne make sure you check the 2nd-1st and 5th-4th kickdown (go on the highway and boot it in 5th) they have a valve body in the transmission that was updated 3 times in the 9PA/955 Cayenne's life even pre facelift. It's about $1300 to rebuild, and about $500 labour to swap - or the part from Porsche genuine is about $3400.

only reason I didn't buy a turbo is the fuel economy and issues with sealing intercoolers. Cayenne S has same brakes etc

anyone wanna buy a copy of the sales brochure for an 04/05/06 Cayenne? I've got a spare one and it's about a 100 page book
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 24-03-17 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Is there a particular point/model year that is a sweet spot for the Cayenne in terms of current price vs reliability/quality?

The 2004 turbos are pretty good value on paper but is it better to get a 2006+ non-turbo vs an early turbo?

I've always liked Cayennes even the older ones and a lot of the ~2004 seem to have relatively low Kms.

I ended up going with a low KM 2006 model which is the last of the 955 line.

I've heard a few issues with the earlier Cayenne Turbos. Apparently something to do with electrical gremlins from poor placement of the wiring loom in earlier versions. As with anything Porsche, everything is an optional extra. Check the build sheets in the rear of the vehicle when purchasing to see what options they came with. I'm told the 2006 model was the only 955 to have the rear opening window. May not sound like much, but it's good for my doggo.

When I got mine a few years ago I thought the 2007/8 S was the pick. No coolant pipe issues, better economy and more power than the old 4.5l. The S gets air suspension, Bose stereo, power seats etc standard.

Over 2.5 years (and 37,000km) I've spent about 7k on it. $1500 in servicing (which included a major) 3k on brakes, 1k on lower control arms, engine mount and aux belt and $1500 on fixing an overheating issue. Not cheap, but not bad for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty View Post
    I'm told the 2006 model was the only 955 to have the rear opening window. May not sound like much, but it's good for my doggo.
    Edit... I just read 955. Sorry.
    I thought they all had that. There's a button at the base of the rear window wiper mechanism.
    Mine has it (2009).

Thanks for the info gents.

What sort of fuel consumption are you seeing with the Turbo Berty?

I must have triggered some kind of unconscious bias in my mind with the white Cayennes because every second one I see on the road now is white (and all the facelifted model).

what I really would like is one wrapped in matt olive green with black decals/wheels and PANZER or TIGER number plates but that might be perceived as a bit anti-social.
    Last edited by lumpy; 27-03-17 at 09:39 AM.
    Yes we Chemistry

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Amazing that something with so much on-road performance can go off-road too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell that to the poser driving one up double Island Point over Easter. Piece of crap needed 3 snatches within the 200m or so it was in my view. It also lost a front bumper. Many many many lols were had by all of the real 4wd owners.

Guy looked like he wanted to dig a hole and die from embarrassment.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....