Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The abandoned ones

The abandoned ones

Thought we already had a thread? Cant find it.

That's not abandoned - that lack of ownership will just buff right out. This is abandoned

Yeah

When I was young I washed my uncles Nissan it was gloss red

Shortly after it was pink

LOL no idea what happened

It did buff right back to shiny red, but only for a short period

I probably used bleach or something LOL

That's just Nissan red for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Imposter Forg View Post
    Thought we already had a thread? Cant find it.

That's quite a decent looking E30.
    Up here most of the abandoned shitters have the "POLICE AWARE" sticker, like a bogan badge of honour.

There's was somethig popped up on my Facebook a few weeks back about a site in Sweden which had loads of abandoned Cosworths. Was painful to look at.

Here's a car site showing some of the photos:

https://forums.finalgear.com/general...ght-cry-42576/

2014 Brilliant Black Audi S3
    2011 Smart ForTwo

I'm surprised at the lack of VT commodes from around some of our lower socio economic regions of our captial cities and regional areas....

That cosworth thread is hard to look at.

Imp Forge find that place.
    That's the answer to your question from last night.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

I hope it's a replica

Give less fucks for this one

I see your 325 and raise you E30 M3

Quote Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
    Not an F1 car. Formula Nippon single seater liveried up like the Toyota F1.
    /csh Racing

Opens

Quote Originally Posted by Greasystick View Post
    I hope it's a replica

It wasn't. From memory it was the recon car for the Safari rally - they crashed it, stripped it and abandoned it in some 3rd world shithole where it got used as a dog kennel. It's been recovered and being restored now (might be finished now?).
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    It wasn't. From memory it was the recon car for the Safari rally - they crashed it, stripped it and abandoned it in some 3rd world shithole where it got used as a dog kennel. It's been recovered and being restored now (might be finished now?).
    That's crazy. It's amazing how much value the classic car world will put on something being an "original car" even when there is almost nothing left from the original. It's like that James Glickenhaus p4 or whatever it is ferrari that was rebuilt from a few tubes which allegedly came from the original chassis that someone found on a scrapheap after ferrari threw it away. The car is either worth nothing or it's worth mega-millions depending on whether it's still considered the actual original car or not, which has been hotly debated for the last decade or so and ended up with people harassing 90 year old ferrari race mechanics on their deathbeds to sign proof of authenticity documentation.

Even crazier when there are 2 different restored cars both claiming to be the original restored car because one of them has the original left hand front indicator and the other has part of the original ashtray.
    Last edited by Pyrite; 09-05-16 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
    That's crazy. It's amazing how much value the classic car world will put on something being an "original car" even when there is almost nothing left from the original. It's like that James Glickenhaus p4 or whatever it is ferrari that was rebuilt from a few tubes which allegedly came from the original chassis that someone found on a scrapheap after ferrari threw it away. The car is either worth nothing or it's worth mega-millions depending on whether it's still considered the actual original car or not, which has been hotly debated for the last decade or so and ended up with people harassing 90 year old ferrari race mechanics on their deathbeds to sign proof of authenticity documentation.

Even crazier when there are 2 different restored cars both claiming to be the original restored car because one of them has the original left hand front indicator and the other has part of the original ashtray.
    Glickenhaus's chassis was the original with 2 tubes replaced. David piper had bought a batch of 3 chassis from the original sub contractor to build replicas - the subby decided to make a quick buck by using a damaged chassis from the scrap pile. It has a bunch of original parts in it - when the car was originally pulled apart after it was crashed, it was turned into spares - some of those spares wound up in the collection of parts Piper bought. It's been officially verified by Ferrari now anyway.

2 cars for one chassis number is common in Jag D-types because the bolt on front subframe and the main tub both carried numbers - some used the original subframe and had a new tub built to replace a damaged tub, with that tub later being rescued from the scrap pile and being built up with a new subframe - there's been a case or two of guys buying both cars claiming to be the number and reuniting all the original bits, and having the orignal car back together and a toolroom copy. There's even cases of cars carrying 2 identities because of shenannigans with the french over LeMans entries - the entry was always for a chassis number - crash the car badly before lemans, grab another and re-stamp it to the crashed numbers.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

2 cars for one chassis number is common in Jag D-types because the bolt on front subframe and the main tub both carried numbers - some used the original subframe and had a new tub built to replace a damaged tub, with that tub later being rescued from the scrap pile and being built up with a new subframe - there's been a case or two of guys buying both cars claiming to be the number and reuniting all the original bits, and having the orignal car back together and a toolroom copy. There's even cases of cars carrying 2 identities because of shenannigans with the french over LeMans entries - the entry was always for a chassis number - crash the car badly before lemans, grab another and re-stamp it to the crashed numbers.
    The Lemans story was in an article in a recent Octane magazine.
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Push it good
    Is that streched AMC Gremlim the car from Wayne's World 2?

The one in Octane is not the only car where ACO shenanigans have occurred...

Glickenhaus's chassis was the original with 2 tubes replaced. David piper had bought a batch of 3 chassis from the original sub contractor to build replicas - the subby decided to make a quick buck by using a damaged chassis from the scrap pile. It has a bunch of original parts in it - when the car was originally pulled apart after it was crashed, it was turned into spares - some of those spares wound up in the collection of parts Piper bought. It's been officially verified by Ferrari now anyway.

Seems like old race cars really complicate the issue when you have multiple spare parts and cars having some or the majority of parts replaced over their racing career including engines as well as chassis being modified for different racing configurations. People manage to get hold of this or that part and build a car around it claiming to be original. Even the Glickenhaus ferrari last thing I read on it was that while the majority of the chassis was confirmed to be the original one, it was technically a car that no longer exists since ferrari retired that chassis number when the car was scrapped. Seems like a mess of a thing to deal with all the pompousness and pedantry as well as the sums of money involved.

Anyway I guess my point was that as a shitkicker mass produced car enthusiast I find it amazing how little of an original car can be used and still claimed as being that car.

What is the mentality of people that horde these old cars that have value but can't part with them but also horribly neglect them - I assume it's mental illness of some sort?

On one
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
    Is that streched AMC Gremlim the car from Wayne's World 2?
    First thing i thought too. Looks like it.
    It's a Pacer btw.

Last edited by StupidFlanders; 09-05-16 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    It's fucking storytime with Rdyno cunt shut the fuck up and fuck off.

First thought was Dubai airport:

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
    Seems like old race cars really complicate the issue when you have multiple spare parts and cars having some or the majority of parts replaced over their racing career including engines as well as chassis being modified for different racing configurations. People manage to get hold of this or that part and build a car around it claiming to be original. Even the Glickenhaus ferrari last thing I read on it was that while the majority of the chassis was confirmed to be the original one, it was technically a car that no longer exists since ferrari retired that chassis number when the car was scrapped. Seems like a mess of a thing to deal with all the pompousness and pedantry as well as the sums of money involved.

Anyway I guess my point was that as a shitkicker mass produced car enthusiast I find it amazing how little of an original car can be used and still claimed as being that car.
    Was pretty common for various works rally teams to swap rego plates around various cars at times, rumor had it Ford had 2 cars competing in different events at the same time wearing the same plates, and by extension the same chassis number.

Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    First thought was Dubai airport:

Mate over in Dubai reckons most of the high end stuff dumped at the airport is wanted by the finance companies for repossession. Something about going to gaol for defaulting on a loan??

Got a link to this one? Would make for interesting reading

Quote Originally Posted by jgryder View Post
    What is the mentality of people that horde these old cars that have value but can't part with them but also horribly neglect them - I assume it's mental illness of some sort?
    I'd love to know.
    This whole "I'll get to it" or "it's for my kids" line pisses me off.

A guy I know has an old race car he's had for 15+ years. Just falling to pieces and the i'll get to it bullshit.
    Let someone restore it so it's all mickey and go from there.

There's a charger next to a mates place on here under a tree same deal.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Quote Originally Posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
    I'd love to know.
    This whole "I'll get to it" or "it's for my kids" line pisses me off.

A guy I know has an old race car he's had for 15+ years. Just falling to pieces and the i'll get to it bullshit.
    Let someone restore it so it's all mickey and go from there.

There's a charger next to a mates place on here under a tree same deal.
    I get your point, but it's their car. They can set fire to it if they like.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

My old man had a perfectly good XB coupe he let rot in his backyard (along with many other cool cars)