Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RX7 6L Wannabe Sports Sedan

You don't need sheath between starter and block

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

They now suspect it's catching due to a warp in the flywheel FFS

I've ordered some MSD leads with bendable spark boots.

LS7 Prius = Proper HYBRID Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_se View Post
    Small world! I'm real proud of how everything is turning out.

I've heard that about the Samberg kit. I just couldn't justify the expense for what he sells and his communication is terrible. My 4" intake uses every mm of space between the radiator and bonnet. Actually there wasn't enough space to begin with, the top support on the radiator has been cut and folded, and the second skin has been cut out of the bonnet. The supporting bar that the bonnet normal catches on is gone as well.

I could have replicated the layout of the Samberg kit but I particularly wanted my radiator to lay forward so that the air passing through is more likely to exit through the bonnet rather than under the car. Once I've sorted out a front bumper support and splitter/undertray then I'll bend up an intake shroud.
    Samberg radiator works but is not the quality of his other stuff. He cuts another stock radiator down. Good news is PWR now have a PWR radiator using a V8Taxi style core that bolts straight into the LS FD. Or near as. You need to fab your own cowls for the OTR filter isf using the PWR. And it's much cheaper than the US Samberg one.
    Logical debate beats name calling any day. My Badges Of Honour so far in PF: Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Numpty, Moron, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb" & climate "denier". AND they are just SOME of the pathetic tags that I've been labelled by SOME here. HINT: Those labels are signs that the accusers have lost to logical debate.

Maybe it's time for them to check some facts. Here's a good starting point: http://www.mostdamagingwikileaks.com

I used a Howe radiator that some on Norotors referenced and it's a good fit with the correct sized inlets/outlets.

Just stopped by the mechanics and there's a slight warp in the Fidanza flywheel causing the starter to catch. Going to try spacing it a bit further then see if it's enough to cause a vibration before considering replacement. Will need a slightly smaller diameter starter to clear the pipes. They did start it a few times last night and it's holding good oil pressure, I can't wait to hear it running for myself.
    Last edited by neil_se; 20-06-17 at 10:02 AM.

When will it end?

So they were able to get the starter spaced far enough to spin cleanly on the ring gear. Will still need to replace the starter with a smaller body.

Then found that 3 injectors weren't opening, pulled them out for a clean to get them opening.

Got the engine started with some difficulty but the breathers are smoking like a steam train and below 2000rpm it stops almost instantly.

[Click for video]

Mechanic was concerned about piston-to-bore clearance but he called the original machinist (who didn't do the assembly) and he suspects the original mechanic has put rings in the wrong order.

So I guess it's engine out again for disassembly and checking

Ah fuck man that sucks!

Fark man

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Jesus, that's not going to look nice pulled down. Rings wrong way round pretty difficult

Sadly I'm getting pretty quick at this. Not draining the gearbox oil was a rookie error though

RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Find a rubber or plastic yoke plug. Or ultra poverty toilet roll and duct tape

Cheers, wish I'd though of that earlier and saved $100 of fluid.

Inspired by Ed's post I thought I'd update the progress.

Cunt's fucked. The teardown showed that the smoking and seizing was from the crank rubbing against the block and a main cap as well as one of the bearings.

My mechanic stripped it all down and shipped it down to Abbott Engines for assessment. He's been busy and now over in the US so I haven't had a chance to speak to him about what's salvageable and where to go from here. I am still confused about how this has happened when the bottom end was turning over fine by hand originally.

Early in July I dropped the shell off for body and paint. Progress has been slow there as well while they've been down staff but I did get a sneak peak sent to me on Friday.

While I've been without the RX7 I picked myself up another project that was meant to be just a simple tidy up and enjoy.

1978 CJ7 with 350 SBC and Ford 9" rear end. My intention was just to get it roadworthy, enjoy it and alter it over time, but after chasing a few small wiring issues I've now found myself stripping out all the wiring, lights, gauges and interior for replacement. Because I'm clearly a sucker for punishment.

Man that really sucks about the motor. I was packing a sad because my master cylinder was leaking.

Wtf, on the motor

Yeah I reckon, it's left me scratching my head. I'll update my tech thread for some opinions.

Did you have a positive pedal stop on your clutch pedal to stop it from over throwing?

Oh whoops just saw your other thread.
    Last edited by Alexg; 11-09-17 at 02:35 PM.

I saw it painted in person today

It's pretty much ready to pick up once the panels are bolted back on. I just have to decide what to do with the front guards where we've cut behind the wheel to stretch out for additional coverage.

Options are either to alter and re-glass the original lower half to create clearance

Or create a sheet metal cover like RE Amemiya's "fender diffuser" to side skirt cover.

I don't actually have any side skirts yet.

Now it's home and looking amazing.

Smoke em if you got em! LINCOLN's Avatar
    Fucking wow that looks awesome.

Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by LINCOLN View Post
    Fucking wow that looks awesome.
    Cheers, it's too nice to track now

Whoa.

And a vote for sheetmetal cover.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."