Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RX7 6L Wannabe Sports Sedan

Fuck those DSS axles. The two ends have identical splines and look identical but one snap ring groove is slightly deeper than the other. Can't really see it unless you measure it- which is about 10 mins after you started trying to bash fuck out of it into the custom CVs fucking. Actually you may not have that problem- stock CVs?

Yeah I just reused the stock CVs, the hub and CV upgrade was another US$1500. They'll now be the weakest point but I think I'll be fine with the power I have and not being for drag racing, I've got a spare pair of axles if I do a CV.

Wow, I hadnt seen this thread. Cool build mate
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Cheers. The race season starts in 6 weeks time so I'll be pushing as hard as I can to make the first event. I give myself 25% chance at this stage though...

So with the sports sedans class, hows that work with putting a totally different engine into your car? No rules around what you can do manufacturer wise/etc, but you just race in a class based on capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    So with the sports sedans class, hows that work with putting a totally different engine into your car? No rules around what you can do manufacturer wise/etc, but you just race in a class based on capacity?
    Sports sedans are the most open category of touring cars in the country, and pretty much the longest running category. Essentially the cars must be front (or front/mid) engined & retain the silhouette of the car. Typically space framed with bespoke suspension and front/mid SBC Chev or Nascar motor. There are minimum weights based on capacity, aero rules and the cars can have a complete carbon/glass body.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Cheers

Yeah as Guido said there's a lot of scope within Sports Sedans, mine isn't close to the level of a state or national car. At the local level where I compete they don't get pedantic about the finer points of the regs so long as it's safe and in the general spirit of that category. My previous SR20 S14 was in Sports Sedans because it was just outside the requirements for Improved Production.

Pretty much finished the fuel system. I couldn't find a fuel cell at a reasonable budget that I felt prevented slosh and kept the fuel around the pickup. I don't want to worry about foam breaking down and having had pumps fail, before I wanted to keep things as simple, reliable and lightweight as possible, so no surge tank and second pump.

As posted earlier I designed and cut my own tank from 2mm ally which I then had welded. It incorporates baffles, return tube to the bottom of the cell and fuel level sender (ended up slightly different to this image, with the horizontal baffle on the other side of the fuel return).

Sender & lid are attached with closed end rivnuts and I laser cut some gaskets to suit

Magnafuel 74 micron bulkhead pre-filter, Protuner 525 external pump, 25 micron post-filter and regulator.

Returnless system runs a single AN8 through the cabin with bulkhead fittings under the rear seat and front firewall using Fragola pushlock hoses.

And done!

That's beautiful work

Keep an eye on the magnafuel pump and inspect it once in a while. No idea why but quite a few people i know have them and rebuild them due to issues. Also see a lot for sale. You have quality pre and post filters, which probably is most of the issues
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Looks very nice. Where are you getting the Fragola fittings?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

LS7 Prius = Proper HYBRID Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Nice work. Are you still aiming to race early this year?
    Logical debate beats name calling any day. My Badges Of Honour so far in PF: Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Numpty, Moron, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb" & climate "denier". AND they are just SOME of the pathetic tags that I've been labelled by SOME here. HINT: Those labels are signs that the accusers have lost to logical debate.

Maybe it's time for them to check some facts. Here's a good starting point: http://www.mostdamagingwikileaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    That's beautiful work
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsballs View Post
    Keep an eye on the magnafuel pump and inspect it once in a while. No idea why but quite a few people i know have them and rebuild them due to issues. Also see a lot for sale. You have quality pre and post filters, which probably is most of the issues
    I spent weeks researching fuel pumps and had a hard time deciding between Aeromotive, Bosch, Holley, Fuelab, Weldon and Magnafuel. It's not hard to find negative reviews on any of them but the Magnafuel rated well so I went with it. Perhaps I should hook up fuel pressure monitoring on my Haltech.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Looks very nice. Where are you getting the Fragola fittings?
    All from Summit. I tried to consider every bend and length then ordered exactly what I'd need a few months ago. Almost got everything right. I didn't want to use China fittings and Speedflow were just too much for my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Nice work. Are you still aiming to race early this year?
    Yes hopefully I can start testing everything in March. There's just so many potential hiccups when everything on the car is new and untested.
    Last edited by neil_se; 23-01-17 at 12:32 PM.

Oh yeah, lot of bad feedback on everything. You might be fine, as I said just keep an eye out

The car has been at Classic Auto Electrical for the past few weeks and I picked it up yesterday. It was free of all stock wiring except for brake light plugs so he created a basic body loom (pressure activated brake lights, front bumper lights, wipers), installed my Elite 2500, modified the Elite LS1 loom to suit and bent up a tray for my little Lithium battery. I had a Deutsch kit from a PF group buy and various other switches, Bussman boxes, DTP plugs, plug mounts, etc that I'd bought for my previous S14, but there was still another few hundred in parts required. I'd probably just like to remake the switch panel in my own style, otherwise everything is very nicely done with twisted wires, thoughtfully routed, easy to access and disassemble.

I had grand plans of fitting lots of parts over the weekend and this week but unfortunately as I was finishing unloading it off the trailer I herniated a disc in my back which dropped me to the ground and at the moment I'm basically an invalid. Once I can get moving again the next few steps for the car are to have an intake pipe made and a bit of a steering column relocation, then remove the engine again to have someone partially disassemble and check over it as I don't have confidence in the original builder who shafted me. The first event for my series that was meant to be in March has been cancelled due to the resurfacing of Morgan Park running well behind, so that has given me an extra 2 months or so.

Very very tidy!!

My back isn't 100% but a hoist and crane make it easy enough to remove the engine by myself which I did last weekend. I struggled to access suitable lifting points on the back of the engine because it's right up against the firewall, so today I cut some lifting loops that can probably stay on the engine permanently.

I finished my alternator bracket with a rose joint tensioner

Cut up a bit of heat wrap for the starter

Installed front and rear FEED tow hooks

Great work. Must be fulfilling (+shitloads cheaper) being able to do a lot of it yourself. Should have nice power to weight ratio once complete.

Let me know when you're laser cutting copies of the feed tow hooks. Thanks!

Wiring boner accomplished

Good progress. I did my neck in when I built mine too. Was in so much pain back then I was one of the first to buy a HANS. Are they compulsory in your series?

And what steering rack are you using?
    Logical debate beats name calling any day. My Badges Of Honour so far in PF: Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Numpty, Moron, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb" & climate "denier". AND they are just SOME of the pathetic tags that I've been labelled by SOME here. HINT: Those labels are signs that the accusers have lost to logical debate.

Maybe it's time for them to check some facts. Here's a good starting point: http://www.mostdamagingwikileaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    Great work. Must be fulfilling (+shitloads cheaper) being able to do a lot of it yourself. Should have nice power to weight ratio once complete.
    I've certainly used my CNC router a lot more than I would have expected. Parts like the tow hooks could have easily been done with some flat bar and a step drill in 1/3 the time, but it's satisfying having this level of finish. Here's some firewall fittings & blanks that I finished off this morning & short video from yesterday.

I'm keen to see what it weighs in at in a few weeks time. Throughout the process I've made conscious decisions to select the lightest weight [affordable] parts and position them in the most ideal locations I can. I still have a few more weight reduction parts here to show off or that are on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Let me know when you're laser cutting copies of the feed tow hooks. Thanks!
    I contemplated making some but it was a time vs cost thing (although the $173 for these is pretty hefty). I can't cut ferrous metals myself so there would have been a minimum charge for laser cutting, perhaps next time I'm ordering something in 5-6mm steel I'll copy the shape and nest a few sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Good progress. I did my neck in when I built mine too. Was in so much pain back then I was one of the first to buy a HANS. Are they compulsory in your series?

And what steering rack are you using?
    HANS aren't compulsary except at Oakey Sprints (run under RACERS rather than CAMS) but I have bought one and a Stilo helmet.

I'm using a stock rack that I converted to full manual a while back by removing the internal seals and welding up the pinion/quill. Should be a good test of my strength!
    Last edited by neil_se; 05-03-17 at 12:44 PM.

seriously impressed at the level of fab your putting into this. nice work
    '93 6SPD T04Z UZA80 Supra
    '97 5SPD Corolla RallyX Shitbox

PF F1 SuperBru Tipping Champion '15 & '16

I dropped the engine off early this week so have been getting into a bit of suspension work.

The Samberg conversion kit comes with tie rod ends and steering rack spacers to reduce bump steer from the new subframe position. I couldn't space up the rack with the 1/2" spacers due to sump clearance so I bought some tie-rod adaptors to space the rack ends down further and adjust bumpsteer. I had to trim off about 6mm and they sit very close the barrel of my 18s.

I'd done some work on the suspension about a year ago but it all got a bit messed up by the shell blasting & spraying so I pulled it down again for a clean up. All the bushes are Superpro urethane and I fitted offset bushes in the upper arm to try and get the tyre to tuck under the guard a little more. I cleaned the overspray off the aluminium arms and resprayed the wheel wells satin black.

I've had a set of MCA Reds since late 2015 so it was nice to finally fit those too. I've chosen 14/10kg F/R spring rates.

I'm interested to see what knuckles & arms Parts Shop Max release soon for FDs.

Neat update. They look like Genuine AP rotors?

The steering might be a bitch at low speeds but on track you won't notice it I suspect. Pretty normal for tie rod ends to be close to the barrel. I wouldn't worry.

No they're just the rotors included with the KSport kit.

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    Looking awesome, great build mate.

How's the back going? I did my back in as well early in the year, has made it very difficult to get work done on the car (or anything else for that matter). You must be getting close to driving it now.
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

Every aspect of your build is quality. The fabrication work is fantastic.

Looking forward to see this all finalised. I followed your S14 build years ago on ns.com. But this FD is on another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Datman View Post
    Looking awesome, great build mate.

How's the back going? I did my back in as well early in the year, has made it very difficult to get work done on the car (or anything else for that matter). You must be getting close to driving it now.
    I've been taking it pretty easy, doing a bit at a time so I don't aggravate my back too much. Once I get the engine back it's not too far off starting but I've got a never ending list of small things to do before it's driveable or race-ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
    Every aspect of your build is quality. The fabrication work is fantastic.

Looking forward to see this all finalised. I followed your S14 build years ago on ns.com. But this FD is on another level.
    Cheers!