Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RX7 6L Wannabe Sports Sedan

Man this thing is baller. I can relate to the tight fitment aroudn the seat and noggin!

It must have been daunting that first start up but it sounds tough as

Fuck yeah!! Sounds tough as.
    Nice work!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Fuck 1uz you're such a sad cunt, trolling at a rookie level is the lowest form of self expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Interesting that no-one wants to come to the rescue of 1uz though. Maybe he really is an annoying flog ?

Nice!
    Not concerned about all that water blowing out of the swirl pot?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Meh it’s a legit way to bleed the cooling system

Yeah I'd left the cap off to bleed air but didn't factor in how much velocity the water would have coming from the electric pump.

Dropped it off today to set the timing and a bit of an engine run-in on the dyno.

Wow. Fuck that’s hot.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Vids not loading and it’s almost sundown..

No dyno time yet unfortunately. They've had another car tying it up, then my revised pedal position didn't have enough throw for the clutch, then it slipped a radiator hose that I was already a bit suspect of, so I'm going to try and find a factory hose with the right bends tomorrow.

I took it home for the weekend to work on the seat, harness and headlight cover mounts. Back to the workshop late Sunday and the fabricator was back to weld some beads on the stainless radiator pipe to stop it popping off (couldn't find any factory hoses 1.75" at both ends, and the convoluted ones couldn't bend to the curves required).

Made it onto the dyno today for some basic tuning, set timing and they ran in the engine for about 40 minutes. It was having the oil dumped tonight, filter cut open for checking, then some more dyno time tomorrow.

Last edited by neil_se; 13-02-18 at 07:52 PM.

The car has spent a number of hours on the dyno over the past few days, intermittently while trying to manage the heat (for the tuners not the engine, it's been close to 50 degrees in the car at times). They've done a water change and 2 oil and filter changes, there was a reasonable amount of swarf in the first change but the second looked good.

Tuning today up in the higher RPM range they found that the Haltech was generating DTCs and restricting when injector duty cycle was above 90% (at around 6000rpm). As I left this evening they had the fuel pressure at 70psi and were able to rev to 7000rpm staying just under 90% duty, that gave a peak power of 440rwhp/330rwkw at 6500rpm and peak torque of around 380ftlb. There's a little more left in it but that's really about the max expected from standard capacity and heads.

Nice power man. That’s a healthy 30rwkw over my car. Have you weighed it yet?

Not yet, I'm hoping the harness bar will be welded in today then i can grab it and organise an alignment this week. I'm still undecided about spring rates, at present I have 14/10 springs fitted but I'm thinking of changing straight up to 17/14 because of the additional leverage from the wide tyres and 140mm increase in width.

Opens
    This had one it's first outings the other week -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

jz engine, be interesting to see how it scales. Electric PAS on the steering column.

Existing spring rate in the rear would be close to a tarmac rally set-up, so you'd be lucky to use that with wets, the 14 might be useful, depending on the track, but you should be juggling rates with each circuit anyway.

That's an interesting combo, no shortage of HP with the JZ I bet.

I've been chasing a frustrating brake issue. I can't get much braking force on the front and it's not firming up, even with the bias bar at full adjustment. They seem to be bleeding fine so I can't figure out whether the master cylinder for the rear is just too large compared to the front (0.75 vs 0.625, which is a pretty common combo), or the front master is leaking internally .

I can't quite recall but I thought it had a firm pedal when the mechanics bled it about 9 months ago (its had to come out since then). I have a cheap 0.7 cylinder coming to try on the rear side and I have another cheap 0.625 cylinder here that came with the hydraulic handbrake to swap on the front.

Hunting Swamp Creatures. Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_se View Post
    The car has spent a number of hours on the dyno over the past few days, intermittently while trying to manage the heat (for the tuners not the engine, it's been close to 50 degrees in the car at times). They've done a water change and 2 oil and filter changes, there was a reasonable amount of swarf in the first change but the second looked good.

Tuning today up in the higher RPM range they found that the Haltech was generating DTCs and restricting when injector duty cycle was above 90% (at around 6000rpm). As I left this evening they had the fuel pressure at 70psi and were able to rev to 7000rpm staying just under 90% duty, that gave a peak power of 440rwhp/330rwkw at 6500rpm and peak torque of around 380ftlb. There's a little more left in it but that's really about the max expected from standard capacity and heads.
    Heat can be a problem. Very small cabin. Mine was like somebody turned the heater on. But then it did have a 10L dry sump tank on the passenger side under the dash. Good luck with insulation.

That's a very healthy HP. Mine only had 310RWKW (419.5RWHP from memory) on Sonny's dyno but it went like stink. Ask Cal.

440RWHP will be crazy in the street in a little FD. Good luck. Would love to see and hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Mine was
    Was? Did you sell it?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Hunting Swamp Creatures. Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Was? Did you sell it?
    Yes mate. It's gone to WA. A bloke had the last Walkingaw built VE V8 SC (Ingalls?) with another bloke. The cost of running it drove them to sell it. The day Dean K got his share of the money he rang me and we did a deal. Life goes on. It was consuming all my time. NOPICS loves the new man. LOL.
    THANK YOU BIG cuddly MUZ for my PF Badges Of Honour. Love them! Racist, Bigot, Islamaphobe, Xenophobe, Numpty, Moron, Muppet, Far Right Wing Nationalist, Far Fight Wing Fascist, "raving fucking lunatic", "dumb", “climate "denier", “out of your fucking mind” and “batshit crazy”.

Walt’s signature well before Steve Bannons March 2018 speech.

MUCH APPRECIATED Muz. Thanks man.

Want to know about Media Ownership concentration?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRmqRZpCqzg

I ended up ordering new Wilwood GS Compact master cylinders yesterday rather waiting for the no-name one to arrive (at least I'll have spares). They arrived today so I wasted no time tonight in swapping in the new 0.625 cylinder for the front brakes. Bleed them thoroughly and...same result. The pedal still goes to the floor with little resistance. After considering a number of different possibilities I swapped it out for the 0.7 cylinder that I'd ordered for the rear, bleed it up again and there's a lot more pedal resistance, still with a decent pedal throw.

A 0.625 cylinder is very common for a pedal with ratio just over 5:1 but I can only figure that the KSport 8 pot front calipers just weren't receiving enough fluid volume. I'll test them out somewhere on the weekend.

I didn't get a chance to test the brakes but it requires a fair amount of pedal pressure just to stop the car rolling off the trailer. Will have to test later this week.

Still ticking items of my list.

New harness bar welded in and Sparco Endurance 6pt harness fitted

Heel plate extended so that it finishes right up at the pedal

Hurst shift knob (surprisingly hard to find a 16x1.5mm thread knob), shifter surround and brake bias adjuster mount

Radiator inlet duct

Opens
    I'd expect there's an online calculator for brake bias now if you know all the piston sizes, but I think Puhn explains it in his book if you want to go old school rather than suck and see. Do know one of the ones down here runs 3/4" and 13/16", but not sure of the pedal ratio....fabricated box.

Yeah I haven't been able to find what piston size these calipers have. When I have it at home again that's probably my next step, to pull one off and measure.

I used this one to figure out which master cylinder sizes i needed. It worked perfectly. I tried to aim for a 60/40 bias without huge pedal force.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachmen...&d=1264071625&

Cheers, I'll pull a caliper off to measure the piston sizes.

Thanks again for that calculator Alex, the results were quite interesting. It recommends a 0.7 front and 0.625 rear (the opposite of what the pedal box manufacturer does), obviously because of the larger front piston area with these aftermarket calipers. Ideal balance is calculated at 66% front (close to the stock RX7 of 68%) which gives a required pedal force of 80lb for DS3000 pads to 1.2g.

I'm taking the next few days off to work on the car solidly so I'll swap them around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm certainly getting the hang of changing master cylinders but it's fucking painful working over the rollcage side bars then reaching all the way in there. Anyway, I now have fitted 0.7 front, .625 rear and I also changed the clutch to 0.875 as the throw was too long with 0.75.

Craft Square and APR mirrors are stupid expensive so I ordered some ebay cheapies and made adaptor plates to bolt to factory holes

I spent a few hours fine tuning the idle too (refer to issues here).

Gratuitous exhaust note video.

Last edited by neil_se; 01-03-18 at 09:15 PM.

There was one figure I was interested to know even moreso than final power, and that's the weight. Today was the day for an initial wheel alignment and on the scales came in at:

1/4 tank (~10L) fuel, without driver
    1102.6kg
    584.9kg F (53.0%)
    517.8kg R

1/2 tank with driver
    1191.8kg
    611.2kg F (51.3%)
    580.6kg R

Estimate weight with driver & full tank:
    1212kg
    50.4% F

I didn't bother adjusting diagonal weights at this stage and I do still have about another 6-7kg to add to both the front and rear with splitter, diffuser and wing.

I'm very pleased with that figure which is at the low end of what I was hoping for. I was suprised at how much weight has come off the rear, compared with Luke's car it's 100kg lighter on the front axle and 140kg lighter over the rear.

Get some bose sound system up ya!

That’s nice and light! I’d be keen to see where all the weight difference is because that’s a shitload and I still don’t have AC in it yet. Although I did punish a Gallardo today so it’s not all bad

Yeah it really threw me since I was so focused on cutting weight off the front. I chopped out the boot floor for the fuel cell but it wasn't that heavy. I guess a lot of the interior is fairly rearward and that stereo is decent. The hatch and window would have saved 20-30kg and side exhaust will have saved a bit as well. From the limited time I've spent in the car with it running so far I'm really missing that floor heat insulation...

I was trying to find online the same aerial car photo to mimic your corner weight table but couldn't find it
    Last edited by neil_se; 03-03-18 at 10:42 PM.

Ah yeah hatch and exhaust would be a bit.