Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue haze

Blue haze

Around 2013 I wanted to do something a little more productive than watching tv after the family went to bed at night. It only amounted to about 1-2 hours a few nights a week, but over the weeks and months this is a significant amount of time to tick some boxes that I had been wanting to tick.
    I have allways had a modern bike and wanted something older to tinker with. A yamaha tx500 came up for the right $ with a heap of parts, being a non desirable old bike with little money into it so far I thought if I lose interest or fuck it up it will not be a great loss.
    So to cut a long story short, after about 14 months I had it running and registered and thoroughly enjoyed the journey.
    This led to wanting to do another project, I was looking for a xs650 but it isn't all that different from the 500 so I started looking at 2 strokes. I looked at RG, RZ, RD, RS, RGV but not too many around and most asking crazy money. The bike below came up and I was interested as it was the same model (VJ22) I owned between 1994 and 1998.
    I was also keen as it had a Tyga rear end on it and it was a late model 7/98.
    The late year hopefully meant it had the more robust roll pins in the centre power valve.
    Last edited by MVLUV; 10-06-16 at 08:51 AM.

More pics to come
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160226_133701423.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	92858  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice. I really, really miss my RGV. Cunt of a thing dropped the powervalve last time I rode it when I was home last year. Found a mob in italy with billet steel or ally PVs. Cheaper than the cougar reds at the tuning works. I'll dig a link up later.
    '71 Honda Dax CT70
    '74 MR50
    '84 323i Stroker. Needs CPR.
    '85 KX125
    '91 RS125R Honda
    '96 RGV
    '98 RMX - buy this bloody thing, please.
    '03 4Runner 2UZ fuglyprado
    '01 XR50
    '02 KX250
    '02 VTR1000 SP2
    '05 KLX 110

These pics show the state of the PV's before and after cleaning. This was the first thing I did when I got it home. I was glad to see it has the larger roll pins and after a clean up they looked pretty good to me.
    This thread is also shamelessly to get info from people more knowledgeable than myself so any comments are welcome.
    The billet PV link would be handy as I was going to go the cougar red option.

Name:	20150502_220434.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	92862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150429_212919.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	92863  
    Last edited by MVLUV; 10-06-16 at 10:05 AM.

I had a 22 as well.

Also dropped a power valve at philip island (into turn 2) of all places

what sort of riding are you planning on doing?

if you're willing to do a lot of reading. read this entire thread;
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-engine-tuner
    a lot of priceless information in it
    '01 RS125
    '01 CR500
    '07 CR125
    '70 Mk2 Cortina
    '12 Transit
    Clubman go kart

This will be a street bike, occasional runs up Mt Glorious and general cafe posing. It may get a run at a track day for curiosities sake but I have a GSXR 750 which is great for the track.
    Thanks for the link, will check it out.

https://m.facebook.com/BCEngineeringItaly/ these are the guys with the power valves. Scroll down a bit :-)

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Awesome. Iíve been having a sneaky look around for an RGV to park in the shed myself.

Malakia Industries
    Ive also had the urge for a smoker. Good pickup.

Here is a pic of the Yamaha I did 2013-15.

Name:	20140921_140415[1].jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	92881  

now that is sweet

Have done nothing with this thing except start and give it a bit of a rev once a month. Also bying some bits and pieces. We are due to move back into our reno'd house in 3 weeks.
    Since Feb my bikes have been in a not so weatherproof car port.Name:  20160923_163616 (Custom).jpg
Views: 933
Size:  47.7 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160923_162838 (Small).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	95234
    Still getting a plan together of what the finished product look will be. I have a question for those in the know, I want to get rid of the battery and run a capacitor. Is it possible with road legal lights? Also if I run a Koso guage with isolation switch to turn on once running will the koso lose memory as in tyre diameter settings during setup?
    Last edited by MVLUV; 23-09-16 at 10:26 PM.

Cool thread!
    DJ's don't need sigs

I recently found my RGV fairings under the house in good nick other than being sanded back for paint. What are they worth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Wreckers usually ask $150+ for undamaged individual panels from what I have seen. I would expect around $100 per panel is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by msmola2002 View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/BCEngineeringItaly/ these are the guys with the power valves. Scroll down a bit :-)
    Good guys to deal with.

Sean at The Tuning Works in the UK is excellent to deal with:
    www.thetuningworks.co.uk/

www.RGV250.co.uk would have to be one of the best single model forums in the world.
    If you're going to keep the Tyga tail on it, put a Tyga fairing on it - they look goofy as a bitsa.

Yes, you can bin the battery and run a capacitor - not worth the hassle - indicators won't work properly when sitting at the lights, powervalve won't do it's ignition on cycle when you turn it on, will become a pain in the arse to start (this is from Experience with trying it on my old RG500).

Given that you can pick up a full set of Chinese replica fairings for ~$400 these days, unless they're absolutely mint, OEM fairings aren't worth what they used to be.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Something about 2smokes, nopics wants one. Which is funny given neither of us ride, and she's not keen on me getting a bike, or my license, at the moment.

Thanks Gammaboy, nice to meet you at c&c a few months ago. Have bought bits from Sean already and spent plenty of time on his forum.
    Looks like the battery is staying. Matching tyga fairing will happen as well as exhausts. The current system is arrows expansion chambers and oem silencers, seems the proven route is tyga exhaust, pipercross filter and possibly go down one jet size.
    Last edited by MVLUV; 26-09-16 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Something about 2smokes, nopics wants one. Which is funny given neither of us ride, and she's not keen on me getting a bike, or my license, at the moment.
    I agree, I think the appeal is apart from NSR 150's, you just don't see many 2T road bikes anymore. I made my mind up to seriously chase one down when a rgv pulled away from a set of lights I was waiting to cross. The sound and smell brought back great memories of my teens and twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by MVLUV View Post
    Thanks Gammaboy, nice to meet you at c&c a few months ago. Have bought bits from Sean already and spent plenty of time on his forum.
    Looks like the battery is staying. Matching tyga fairing will happen as well as exhausts. The current system is arrows expansion chambers and oem silencers, seems the proven route is tyga exhaust, pipercross filter and possibly go down one jet size.
    Arrows are good pipes, but I suspect using them with the OEM Suzuki cabs is less than ideal. A pair of cans from TZ Mike (MFactory west) is only $200us from memory, and they're good things. I have to admit, you've got me stumped re: meeting at C&C, what were you driving?

I must get stuck back into the stupid RGV powered Mito one of these days
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Arrows are good pipes, but I suspect using them with the OEM Suzuki cabs is less than ideal. A pair of cans from TZ Mike (MFactory west) is only $200us from memory, and they're good things. I have to admit, you've got me stumped re: meeting at C&C, what were you driving?

I must get stuck back into the stupid RGV powered Mito one of these days
    The arrows are pretty sad and have been painted black so decided to go with new.
    As for c&c I have that effect on people, recognized your Alfa as you parked and had a brief chat about it, was probably April or May.

Quote Originally Posted by MVLUV View Post
    The arrows are pretty sad and have been painted black so decided to go with new.
    As for c&c I have that effect on people, recognized your Alfa as you parked and had a brief chat about it, was probably April or May.
    I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch yeasterday at the moment...
    Probably won't be at this one, but come introduce yourself next time.

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    Nice project, love the old RGV's.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorz de Puniet View Post
    Nice project, love the old RGV's.
    x2

Not much done to this lately. I have removed wheels and tyres to start to get a batch of powdercoating done then found bent valves in my 73 Yamaha.
    This is an engine out job which adds time.
    While I was in there I thought I would helicoil the two piece head threads, lap all the valves and do the stem seals.
    Have still been getting parts together for the RGV but will wait till the boat anchor is off the hoist.
    Its just easier to work on the bike on the hoist as I will be taking engine out and swingarm off for powdercoat.

Name:	20161227_154156-3984x2241.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	915.0 KB 
ID:	97914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161231_161849-3984x2241.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	97915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161231_161912-3984x2241.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	97916  

Work on this has re-started. Engine is out, cylinders are off and the cylinder heads look like they have had a pretty good life. Made a dogs breakfast of removing the engine as I missed disconnecting the oil pump cable. Will have to have a good look at controller and maybe get another cable.
    Plan is to re-plate cylinders and put it back together with parts I have been gathering including, 1.4 mm base gaskets, vhm oring cylinder heads, bc engineering billet powervalves and pulley wheels/brackets and some other bling.
    Get rego done then do the questionable stuff as I don't know if tyga headlights are adr approved or if non folding rear sets are kosher. Since I have all the original gear I'll just save the stuff I'm not sure about till after rego.

Name:	20170421_214415-2656x1494.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	840.0 KB 
ID:	99193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170421_214446-2656x1494.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	544.4 KB 
ID:	99194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170421_214430-2656x1494.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	771.2 KB 
ID:	99195  

A question for those in the know regarding brake lines, I have had a previous bike pass rwc with aftermarket braided lines so reasonably confident with that. Configuration is changing though, I am going two individual lines from master to caliper, will this be a problem?

You 'gon take that deeuck fat910's Avatar
    Wasn't a problem for me a few months ago.
    They say i know fuck nothing, but i know fuck all!

No problem changing it to a dual banjo and line as long as the braided lines are marked as ADR approved. I use HEL lines for this reason.
    Good to see another smoker around, I'm currently rebuilding a KR1 which my neighbours hate.
    BeamTina

I run dual lines on my MT09, no issues at all.
    Hide yo' wife!!!