Thread: Flex fuel sensors

Flex fuel sensors

I bought a continental from ebay about a year ago and only got around to using it a couple of months ago, turns out its stuffed (doesnt respond on my ECU at all and im not getting a reasonable frequency reading from the output when testing either). Just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on which sensor is usually reasonable to buy. I found the microtech ones are cheaper than the haltech ones.
    http://www.vpw.com.au/Category/Index/528859

At the end of the day they're all the same rebadged continental one anyway right.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chevrolet...8AAOSw3ydVm~Fh

theres heaps of cheap ones from hong kong, but i think thats what i bought last time and i gather its a fake POS. "OEM quality" isnt exactly the same as actually being OEM i guess lol.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13577394-...gAAOSwjMJXBeAR

what ecu are you using?
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

i got stooged by this only a few weeks ago. saw a continental #13577394 (same as haltech, same as zeitronix etc) on ebay for $60-something and thought at that price ill take a punt. output was nowhere near to accurate - was reading 22% in free air and 30% in 98 octane. put the cunt in a dispute and got my money back :P

buying the next sensor from here: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...7394/overview/

edit; the ebay vendor you have posted (autoparts-home) is the same cunt i got mine from. the thing even had scratches and stuff on it to make it look like a genuine unit taken out of a car. but the output on the scope showed it is definitely not legit. sneaky fucken cunts. the fact it is labeled "made in mexico" yet the cunt is in HK should say it all, but i wanted to take a punt...

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    i got stooged by this only a few weeks ago. saw a continental #13577394 (same as haltech, same as zeitronix etc) on ebay for $60-something and thought at that price ill take a punt. output was nowhere near to accurate - was reading 22% in free air and 30% in 98 octane. put the cunt in a dispute and got my money back :P

buying the next sensor from here: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...7394/overview/

edit; the ebay vendor you have posted (autoparts-home) is the same cunt i got mine from. the thing even had scratches and stuff on it to make it look like a genuine unit taken out of a car. but the output on the scope showed it is definitely not legit. sneaky fucken cunts. the fact it is labeled "made in mexico" yet the cunt is in HK should say it all, but i wanted to take a punt...
    EXACTLY what happened to me. I was getting fucked up freq graphs no matter what I did with it. Useless junk, mine came exactly as you said, with some minor scratches and looked like it was out of a vehicle. Wonder if i can bring up an old ebay purchase and dispute it lol.

I was using it with a hondata ecu (v4) which has a dedicated flex input pin. Its a POS ECU but i figured I would try and use the input while I can until I get a proper ECU later on since the flex sensor should work on whatever I end up with.

Thanks for the comments guys, looks like ill be buying a new one. Does summit also sell the connector+pins?
    Anyone in melbourne need one, let me know so we can split some shipping costs haha
    Last edited by nuk1ear; 23-06-16 at 01:24 PM.

I suspect there is alot of fakes just like the 044. My e85 sensor i right on in the +-1 to 2%

put negative feedback with comments that the unit is counterfeit if nothing else.

not sure if summit sell the connectors, i bought a connector pigtail from ballenger motorsports (they sell so many connectors and sensors n stuff. it's a great site)

did you enable the pullup on the input?
    im a cunt

On the hondata unit it automatically has the pullup built into the circuit for that specific pin, it doesnt allow u to switch it on or off. Thats why the pin is only allowed for use with the flex sensor. Its a shit ECU, but it got me through registering the engine to the car. Once I get some track time in it ill buy an m130 or elite 1500/2500 later on. I cant imagine how so many people use the hondata, its extremely compromised in many many ways.

ive never played with one so i cant comment,

do you have the sensor in the return or feed line?
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    ive never played with one so i cant comment,

do you have the sensor in the return or feed line?
    in the return. I thought it might be an issue with it not being constantly submerged, so i added an AN6 1 way pressure valve immediately after it, set it to around 10psi to ensure there was a constant volume of fuel between the regulator and the sensor, and it still registered nothing on the ECU and wacky frequency values. I think I was getting like 24hz which is below the range anyway (should be 50-150hz if i remember).

I need to try another sensor or a zeitronics gauge or something to confirm i think.

yes 50-150hz for 0-100% ethanol

i fit them in the feed line now and it fixed any strange readings i had
    im a cunt

thanks for the tips. A friend of mine has a zeitronics unit so i might plug it in while im at it to confirm. What do you usually register when using 98 through it? Closest E85 servo to me is a united as well.

50-52hz most of the time on 98.
    im a cunt

is it ok to put it in the Feed line?
    Not too much of a restriction point?
    Just doing some fuel lines now so if it's better to put it there I will.

Every gm oem fitment is in the feed line, it's a 3/8 tube no restriction at all
    im a cunt

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    I got a long tube Continental in my feed line in the HQ, no issues. Same hz/ethanol range as Dale mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Every gm oem fitment is in the feed line, it's a 3/8 tube no restriction at all
    My feed line is 6AN anyway and thats more than enough for a few hundred HP with E85. Definitely no restriction at this level.

Opens
    Summit only has the flex fuel harness, that was the case a year or so ago at least.

did you enable the pullup on the input?
    no need for pullup with the adaptronic, just wire it in to a spare cas or vehicle speed input, configure in the software and off you go.

never put it under pressure, just dunked the sensor in a bucket of 98 and a bucket of e85, but i was getting wacky readings just like nuk1ear. i always knew there was a chance it would be counterfeit considering the price and location anyway

edit; GXXR summit sell the sensors now too, link was in my earlier post: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...7394/overview/

Why not just go to the wreckers and pull one off a v8 commodore.???

Just dredging this thread up again as i'm interested in real world results.

I'm putting a Vipec V88 on the MX5 as a result of a mate fire sale'ing his project.
    I like the idea of putting flex on it so it doesn't do as much damage as last time but am curious about the different sensors on the market..

With the VIPEC they say the GM signal isn't strong enough and to put a 2200k resister inline for the signal (thread from 4years ago) others appear to be direct wire in.

There's quite a few different brands on the market that are direct wire in but I notice the Continental is quite competitively priced and many seem to go that way.
    There's also lots of talk that most aftermarket brands like Zeitronix are a continental with a sticker on it.
    If i buy genuine Continental what's the compromise?
    Is there a lifespan difference between that and a GM sensor?
    Is the Haltech sensor better or different?
    What would you suggest?
    '10 Forester Diesel 6Spd - Slow and sensible
    '93 SWB Pajero - Slow but scary
    '89 MX5 B6-T - Scary not slow

You can be honest!

Am I just being a jew!? Buy GM and just move on?

They are all the same continental #13577394 sensor. haltech, zeitronix, whoever you buy it from, it's the same sensor. Buy it from summit for a hundred-something and move on. Avoid ebay as per the posts above.

Regarding pullup resistors etc, that would be something particular to the ecu. The adaptronic didnt need anything, but the vipec might. I have a V88 in my soarer and will probably set it up for E85 at some point so I guess I should find out what it needs...

Thanks for a response!!

The Vipec threads I was reading were 2014ish so maybe they were able to do something with firmware since, either way i'll consult the tuner before buying just to make sure he's content with it!