Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: "new" Supra supposedly coming in 2018...

This would have been awesome, about a decade ago, when they should have finished it.

Now it is going to be demolished by hatchbacks costing half as much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    This would have been awesome, about a decade ago, when they should have finished it.

Now it is going to be demolished by hatchbacks costing half as much.

much agreed, toyota has too many resources, cash and terrible timing on this one

Lexus is understandable but the Supra no longer has a place anywhere
    unless you are inheritance cashed up ricers

It won't be very long after release that someone puts a 2JZ into one.... probably about a day after someone in murica puts a LS in one!
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au
    www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
    Click for PF Property Management

They definitely run 12s
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Where are you guys getting specs from? Has anything official been released?

(I too am sick of waiting for this car...)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Where are you guys getting specs from? Has anything official been released?

(I too am sick of waiting for this car...)
    You should buy one and sell me your 86

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Pretty sure the Supra will have neither a rear seat or manual transmission...so no

Pretty sure the Supra will have neither a rear seat or manual transmission...so no
    The way I see it, and no-one on any thread I've seen has written about this but the tie up with BMW does a couple of things.

1. There is no way BMW will not have an M Version of their z4. Which will be amped up, probably close to current M4, or at least M2 power.

2. Toyota will surely follow suit. Maybe there's even a non turbo in the wings we don't know about? So the RZ model may be up around M4/3 numbers.

Either way, I really like the look of the Lexus LX 500 thing on the road (photos look shit but the actual car is hnnng). And if that's the lineage, at a lower price point, it could be a winner!
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

The E85/86 was a sales flop that the BMW board pretty much buried the M Z car idea. It's a shame because I like them.
    The E89 didn't get one. They've also always compromised it with previous gen 3 series rear ends. Ie, E36/7 had E30. E85 was a hybrid of shit from the E36/46. E89 got an E46 rearend.
    If this ends up with something E9x,

There's talk about an iron block, and PSS tyres (yeah, a tyre from 2011) on the pf fb group as well.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm dj! View Post
    the way i see it, and no-one on any thread i've seen has written about this but the tie up with bmw does a couple of things.

1. There is no way bmw will not have an m version of their z4. Which will be amped up, probably close to current m4, or at least m2 power.

2. Toyota will surely follow suit. Maybe there's even a non turbo in the wings we don't know about? So the rz model may be up around m4/3 numbers.

Either way, i really like the look of the lexus lx 500 thing on the road (photos look shit but the actual car is hnnng). And if that's the lineage, at a lower price point, it could be a winner!
    lc500 ?

Yes, sorry LC 500

Eurotrash :D
    paging al, cost for 2j swap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

this is so disappointing. same power and weight as a 370z (released in 2009)

and they've just said they're going to do a 4 cylinder version. should that be called a celica?

they should just name it the Camry Solara and stop with this supra bullshit. should be punching at R35 levels to be called a supra. its only 30hp off a v6 camry.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 19-07-18 at 10:26 AM.

Oo___oO

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    this is so disappointing. same power and weight as a 370z (released in 2009)

and they've just said they're going to do a 4 cylinder version. should that be called a celica?
    This should be called the avalon, and the 4 cyl called camry.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    This with the 350kw RCF/LC500 2UR in it, 6-sp manual option and 1500kg (realistically, 1400kg in dreamland) would be enough

It wont beat a GTR, but then a GTR is $200k on the road here so meh

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    They have never been rivals to GTR's though, they are by definition a GT, so more on par with a GTST or GTT
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    This with the 350kw RCF/LC500 2UR in it, 6-sp manual option and 1500kg (realistically, 1400kg in dreamland) would be enough

It wont beat a GTR, but then a GTR is $200k on the road here so meh
    The LC500 is a $200k car too!

They look weird in photos but they're a beautiful car in person. I had the pleasure of flogging one around SMSP recently and it was good fun....

I'd hope the Supra would be a lower spec more performance orientated LC500 with bulk power but sadly sounds like we won't see that....
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au
    www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
    Click for PF Property Management

Yeah i was kinda thinking if they could use the engine but without all the design, interior and trinkets than make the LC $200k....

I dunno, in my mind a Supra would be a ~$100k car, not a $200k car but maybe thats not realistic either

I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

I reckon $100k is reasonable for say a no frills RCF which has the same motor as the LC500. At this rate I don't see what will make the Supra appealing over say a 240i or M2. Also the new X3 M40i has bumped the power of the B58B30 up to 265kw, surely 280-300kw is the minimum you'd want to target for something like this and then have special editions running the S55 like the M2 competition.
    Last edited by Rona; 19-07-18 at 10:56 AM.
    If in doubt power out

According to these documents, the base Supra will be powered by a turbocharged 195kW 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine (B48B20), while the higher-spec variant features a 250kW 3.0-litre straight-six (B58B30). Both petrol motors come from BMW, and are paired with a ZF eight-speed automatic.
    Testsuya Tada, chief engineer for the new Supra, confirmed the availability of both four- and six-cylinder engines to the magazine. He also noted the four-cylinder will not only be lighter, but have "much better weight distribution", and a sharper turn-in.
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/667984/...linder-engine/

There is talk's here about the disappointment, i pulled my i'm going to buy one.

i think from my point of view and i have not confirmed this with marketing. they are going on the basis it is a tuners car so people will modify it. in japan/USA and starting to grow more now 86's are out of warranty is after market support and i think that is what they want with this car.

Carbon roof, lower COG
    Iron block with Toyota designed head (have not confirmed)

I still think it is a march 2019 due date.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

yeah, rumour mill is suggesting CGI Fe block, 530Nm from standard. room for a big single was design criteria.

Carbon roof will be reserved for the high spec GMRN to be released at another date - production roof is lightweight composites to keep it to 1400kgish.

has apprently been designed with the tuning potential of the 2JZ in mind,
    '84 Supra 7MGTE
    '86 Supra 2JZGE track
    '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
    '10 C63 AMG

PSN: RyleyMA61

W2A or A2A intercooler. The current 240i etc is W2A.
    If in doubt power out

Okay, so we now seem to know it's 250KW, and given an 86 is ~1250kg I'm going to guess at 1400kg. That makes it 179kW/tonne.

That should put it in the high 4.x range for 0-100 and high 12s?

By comparison, a 718 Cayman S is 257kW and 1385kg, and does 4.3/12.4 according to Wheels with PDK transmission. And is $150k plus options and ORC.

So if it's say half the price of a Cayman S it doesn't seem so bad...
    Last edited by Captain_Slow; 19-07-18 at 12:31 PM.

but why the fuck did they need to get a BMW powerplant in there - ring ring hey Takashi San over at Lexus, mate how sick was it having sushi off that hot piece of ass the other night?

I know right! , so listen - we need a powerplant for the new Supra, I reckon we could take something from the Lexus line up and modify it to suit. Sounds doable right?

Shit yeah, of course it does - send the engineers over and we get them talking.

Nope .. lets go to BMW instead mate. FUCK

This shit properly grinds my gears. Fuck off with this teaming up with another brand BS.

The most likely explanation is that neither the Supra nor the BMW version would have been viable without the other. It probably just didn't make financial sense to try and engineer a Toyota drivetrain to work in the BMW body. And I'd bet Toyota didn't care if it was a straight six or V6, but BMW would have said "no V6 for us".

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Furrypants View Post
    but why the fuck did they need to get a BMW powerplant in there - ring ring hey Takashi San over at Lexus, mate how sick was it having sushi off that hot piece of ass the other night?

I know right! , so listen - we need a powerplant for the new Supra, I reckon we could take something from the Lexus line up and modify it to suit. Sounds doable right?

Shit yeah, of course it does - send the engineers over and we get them talking.

Nope .. lets go to BMW instead mate
    This shit properly grinds my gears. Fuck off with this teaming up with another brand BS.
    Doesnít the 2j have bmw influence anyway?

Okay, so we now seem to know it's 250KW, and given an 86 is ~1250kg I'm going to guess at 1400kg. That makes it 179kW/tonne.

That should put it in the high 4.x range for 0-100 and high 12s?

By comparison, a 718 Cayman S is 257kW and 1385kg, and does 4.3/12.4 according to Wheels with PDK transmission. And is $150k plus options and ORC.

So if it's say half the price of a Cayman S it doesn't seem so bad...
    Yeah. If itís basically a Japanese m2 thatís a win.

Its not going to be 1400kg, no way. The original Supra wasnt that light, and theres' been 20 years' of mandated safety shit and trinket creep in the meantime.
    Plus iron block, apparently.

1UZ+1NZ...

Has a hybrid version been mentioned at all?

The first two Supras were most definitely GT cars, nice chassis but not a lot of power even for their day. Mk3 and Mk4 were still GTs but they introduced optional big power turbo engines, however the povo spec ones were still pretty weak.

IMO the new one (going by these rumours) fits into the lineup nicely. Moderately powered GT car, optionally available with a stonking turbo six with plenty of power. At no point was it going to be a GTR rival, that would be a total departure from the last 4 generations!

The purist in me doesn't like the idea of a Supra without an inline six, but the target market absolutely does not give a fuck. And that's another thing; if you're a JZA80 fan (or JZA80 owner) you are most definitely not the target market. People who own or aspire to own 25+ year old cars generally do not have six figures to spend on a new car. Toyota marketing is well aware of this. Sorry fans...
    Last edited by Norbie; 19-07-18 at 02:22 PM.
    Norbie!