Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A/T tyres - which is best for my $$$

A/T tyres - which is best for my $$$

The Hilux (LN167R - 3L diesel single cab chassis) is gonna need some new rubber in the next month or so. I got it a about 18 months ago and it still has the Perelli Scorpions (235/75R15) and I have no complaints about them. I do a bit of 4wding but nothing too extreme and a bit of beach driving. JAX have em on their website for $215 fitted each on their website but before I do the ring around the other dealerships I thought I'd ask you mob what youse use and why?

I do less than 20K KM/year (though hopefully this year will be a bit less work and a bit more play) but as most of it is on the road I am cognizant of road noise, hence not really looking at M/T's or the like - though I'm open to do so if my preconceptions on road noise are unfounded.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated.

bfgoodrich all-terrain t/a ko seem very popular. I've run them an a rn105? Dual cab and rated them, but the car was sold before they got below 60% so cant say how they age.
    Have also run the yokohama geolander from new to bald on a ln167 and was happy with them. Sidewalls seemed very soft and bulgy compared to the bfg but they never got staked.

BFG KO2 have good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you have no complaints with them, and you do highway kms more than anything, buy them again. They are a soft/sticky road tyre with excellent grip from most accounts.

I don't buy anything other than Cooper, but they'll be more expensive as no parallel import. BFG I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrie View Post
    bfgoodrich all-terrain t/a ko seem very popular. I've run them an a rn105? Dual cab and rated them, but the car was sold before they got below 60% so cant say how they age.
    Have also run the yokohama geolander from new to bald on a ln167 and was happy with them. Sidewalls seemed very soft and bulgy compared to the bfg but they never got staked.
    They geolanders are very popular here. In sand the soft bulgy sidewall works great. You get a nice footprint on sand with these. One of the best bang for buck sand tyres.

I have not run them personally yet, but really like the design of the BFG KO2's. They have a tough look, good sidewall protection (and grip) and not too noisy on road. And its about time they updated them with some modern tech.

If you want to go more aggressive the Cooper ST Max are great. They wont make much noise for the first 20,000-30,000kms but can get noisy after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    I don't buy anything other than Cooper, but they'll be more expensive as no parallel import. BFG I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
    I didn't like my set of Cooper A/T's. I thought they were ordinary in the wet and didn't wear as well as I would have thought. They were fine for mild track and beach work I did. Just before I sold my last car I had a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's and would highly recommend them. Very good all round tyre. New rig has a set of K02's so will see how they are when I have done a few km's.
    The customer.

Have got 43000kms so far out of my Maxxis A/Ts (the dueller looking one) in a 265/75/16 and should have another 10k left in them. Paid $220 each, quite happy with them.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I have BFG at on my amarok with 50k on them and have 75% tread left they are still very grippy and nice and quiet, I also have the new KO2 on my Hilux and they are great
    , nice and quiet and grippy

I was very happy with the Scoropin AT/R I had, would definitely recommend them. Over 100 000km and still plenty of tread.

I had geolandar ATS on my d40 and they were great. even wear, decent wet grip, easy 40000+ km out of them - which is mega for me.

Colorado will go the same way when the stock cheese cutters run out.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by Paydirt View Post
    I didn't like my set of Cooper A/T's. I thought they were ordinary in the wet and didn't wear as well as I would have thought. They were fine for mild track and beach work I did. Just before I sold my last car I had a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's and would highly recommend them. Very good all round tyre. New rig has a set of K02's so will see how they are when I have done a few km's.
    Yup, I've found Coopers are rubbish in the wet.

AT3's or ST Maxx?

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Will not touch Coopers. Gave the set away that came with my car, feel a bit guilty, should have binned them instead. They were very dangerous in the wet.

Achilles HT highway terrain things were ok, quiet, stopped well. Went everywhere a mud terrain went offroad.

I cant possibly see a reason to have all terrains. You cant do what muddies are designed for, and they're worse than highways for everything else by a large margin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

And your noise conceptions are well founded. Fuck me sideways is there a difference changing from a muddy to a highway. All terrain cooper to a highway LT bridgestone was like changing cars entirely in a triton. You could suddenly hear how woeful and shit the engine is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

check out tyretrader.com.au they often have some bargains on the Kumho KL78 and KL61
    a few mates have the KL61 and love them - I was going to run these also until I found a great deal on something else with a similar pattern to the KL61 (Bridgestone D697s)

I wanted an aggressive A/T, these should do the trick..
    I have a set of Wranger M/T for the Pajero when doing hard weekends, but the duelers will be on all other times..
    The Landcruiser will be running Muddies all the time as it's not a daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Achilles HT highway terrain things were ok, quiet, stopped well. Went everywhere a mud terrain went offroad.

I cant possibly see a reason to have all terrains. You cant do what muddies are designed for, and they're worse than highways for everything else by a large margin.
    Plenty of situations where AT's will go a lot further, i.e. rock beds, rutted roads, better puncture resistance etc. Some are not that noisy at all. Tred wear and design play a big part in it also. I.e changing from a well worn Cooper ST Maxx to a bridgestone HT will be like night and day....but it would also be night and day changing from the ST to a new geolander AT or even changing from and old muddy to a new muddy
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Yoko hama geolanders is what i would recommend in my opinion the best tyre for a car that does some offroad work but is still daily driven.

Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    AT3's or ST Maxx?
    The older AT/R's.
    The customer.

Quote Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
    Yoko hama geolanders is what i would recommend in my opinion the best tyre for a car that does some offroad work but is still daily driven.
    Im almost 10k kms in on your suggestion and very happy. Great all-rounder, fuck all noise

Im aiming for 40+ kms out of them.

Coopers can eat a dick. Worst tyres ive ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
    Cheers for that. I'm due for new tyres on the XC70 and it does 90% road 10% sand. I'm thinking these Geolandar HTS G051

http://www.yokohama.com.au/Tyres/Geolandar-HTS.aspx

The older AT/R's.
    How many years have they been out of production for? Not really relevant to judge a tyre brand by an outdated, out of production tyre that has little to do with the current line up.

I wasn't judging the tyre against anything new. I merely said I didn't like them as they were shit in the wet and didn't wear nearly as well as they claimed. And judging by the comments above, not much has changed.
    The customer.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Mud tyres are shit in ice/snow, all terrains are great.

Highways? Puncture resistance if nothing else gives the AT a big advantage, I do agree however that too many people buy AT instead of HT for towing etc.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Quote Originally Posted by StanM3 View Post
    Yup, I've found Coopers are rubbish in the wet.

There is far too many Coopers models for anyone to make a statement like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CammoW View Post
    The Hilux (LN167R - 3L diesel single cab chassis) is gonna need some new rubber in the next month or so. I got it a about 18 months ago and it still has the Perelli Scorpions (235/75R15) and I have no complaints about them. I do a bit of 4wding but nothing too extreme and a bit of beach driving. JAX have em on their website for $215 fitted each on their website but before I do the ring around the other dealerships I thought I'd ask you mob what youse use and why?

I do less than 20K KM/year (though hopefully this year will be a bit less work and a bit more play) but as most of it is on the road I am cognizant of road noise, hence not really looking at M/T's or the like - though I'm open to do so if my preconceptions on road noise are unfounded.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated.
    If you haven't punctured a Pirelli Scorpion then get them again...

thanks fellas, plenty of food for thought here. Definitely going to look at the geolanders as they have a pretty got a pretty good wrap in this thread and seem to be able to do what I want.

It is interesting reading the comments about coopers, they seem to be a love em or hate em tire. My old man will be putting them on his 200 series once the current dunlop grand treks wear out. He swore by em until a few years ago, then hated them and now loves them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Front Bum View Post
    Cheers for that. I'm due for new tyres on the XC70 and it does 90% road 10% sand. I'm thinking these Geolandar HTS G051

http://www.yokohama.com.au/Tyres/Geolandar-HTS.aspx
    Shoot me a pm if you want a price. Im a yoko dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by CammoW View Post
    thanks fellas, plenty of food for thought here. Definitely going to look at the geolanders as they have a pretty got a pretty good wrap in this thread and seem to be able to do what I want.

It is interesting reading the comments about coopers, they seem to be a love em or hate em tire. My old man will be putting them on his 200 series once the current dunlop grand treks wear out. He swore by em until a few years ago, then hated them and now loves them again.
    I am no cooper fanboi even if I have come across as one. In fact my next set of tyres will be either hankook ATM or Geolander AT, but blanket comments like "coopers are crap in the wet" or "coopers can eat a dick" are not very useful and just plain bandwagon, hence why I asked which model as I prefer to base a tyre on model and not brand. Not everyone does and it would be the reason BFG didn't change their AT design for a decade or so. I have had personal experience with BFG KO, Coopers AT3 and ST Maxx. And would take the coopers over the BFG depending on how aggressive I wanted the tyre. I have no idea how the ATR goes, but sounds crap. However I would try the new KO2's over the current coopers as it looks like a good tyre. In the states and over here cooper as a brand generally gets a good wrap, Aus or at least this forum appears to be very anti cooper.

A/T tyres - which is best for my $$$

Quote Originally Posted by MartyXF View Post
    Mud tyres are shit in ice/snow, all terrains are great.

Highways? Puncture resistance if nothing else gives the AT a big advantage, I do agree however that too many people buy AT instead of HT for towing etc.
    There are far too many mud tyres available on the market for anyone to make this statement..

Last edited by StanM3; 05-01-16 at 04:44 PM.