Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU patrol shock absorbers?

GU patrol shock absorbers?

Help me decide on a good ride comfort/price shock?

Details:
    '04 coil rear 4.2td ute
    King +40mm progressive "comfort" springs
    +75mm open length pro comp es9000 front shocks c/w LC80 bump stops
    +100mm open length pro comp es9000 rear shocks c/w standard bump stops
    Aluminium tray, aluminium bullbar, no accessories
    265/75R16 AT tyres on stock steel rims
    Rarely carries a load, runs empty 99% of the time

Current observations:
    High speed damping feels too great; might just be massive unsprung mass but it seems feed a lot into the cab at about 4hz estimated on the highway. might just be some resonance happening from to little damping and I'm way off the mark?
    Low speed damping feels to little; gets the 70's american sedan bob going after a gentle g-out
    Pushing and pulling on the es9000s feels like there is significantly less damping than the original 140,000km OE shocks that I took off
    Original rear springs were tapered wire with close wound top

Would like to go back to a +50mm or so shock front and rear
    Would like cheap because I'm cheap, don't mind buying from the US
    Should I go back to the original rear springs with 40mm spacers?
    Ride comfort is priority 1

Help!

Banned
    Price range?

Procomp es9000 on it were $40 ea. on Summit racing but I doubt I'll get away with that on another brand? I think $200 ea. would be the upper end I suppose.

Banned
    Yea you are limited to a few brands tbh they all perform fairly even, different brands make foam cell shocks I have found they feel pretty good but oe would probably be the most comfortable imho.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 13-06-13 at 11:17 PM.

OE ones just felt crazy stiff for some reason. Jumping up and down on the bullbar or tray could barely get it to move. Now with the procomps I can get big bounce going doing the same thing. I chose the procomp because of the general forum belief that the were mush so I equated that to comfort. I was dissapoint.

Suspensionstuff house brand are $200 each and are meant to be ok although that is Koni $. US billies maybe?
    Last edited by ls400x; 13-06-13 at 11:20 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    OE ones just felt crazy stiff for some reason. Jumping up and down on the bullbar or tray could barely get it to move. Now with the procomps I can get big bounce going doing the same thing. I chose the procomp because of the general forum belief that the were mush so I equated that to comfort. I was dissapoint.
    I have not had any experience with the procomps by any chance are they the one's painted black with a gas valve on the bottom?

They just come all white, non-adjustable. Mexico made apparently.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...-es9000-shocks

Banned
    They just come all white, non-adjustable. Mexico made apparently.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...-es9000-shocks
    They look like iron man's, IHTH my boss will use koni's if he doubts any other shock for issues also I have seen bilsteins last for ever compared to other brands.

They have great compressed length for their open length and are allowing me to get away with only +40mm CL80 bumpstops in the front.

Maybe I should put the original shocks back in for some back to back testing.

What Bilstein part numbers are applicable? Dimensions and mounting is straight toward but they have a number of valving options depending on the model?

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    I have Koni Heavy Tracks and they have been in the car for 8 years and been around Aus 1.5 times (including simpson desert twice and cape york three times), and are still the comfiest shocks I've ever felt in a patrol. They have 7 adjustments if you are fussy.

Downside is they still pull around $1k per set, upside is they are only around $80-90 each if they ever need rebuilding.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Thanks for the info, that life/$ certainly sounds top notch. Will research.

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Just got some EFS brand shocks for my Hilux, very very impressed. They shit all over the adjustable Ranchos that came out of it. Cheap too! $140 a corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

I got a quote back for billies with a local part number applied proported to suit GUs. $900 delivered. Unfortunately cannot cross reference to a standard part number. The part numbers discussed on patrol4x4 and other places was advised against as being much too heavily damped.

They are heavily damped.

It depends what you are after. You can drive my shorty like a car, and genuinely swerve out of a lane and it wont tip over. As a round town car its supurb.

I wouldnt want them on an offroad track or loose rocks. I would want them on corrugations though. I was doing 90-100kmh down a cockeys track and lease road in my shorty on roads a GU with some sort of bigger shock was fucking terrible and skating all over the place on. (done the same road 100+ times for work in GU's and cruisers and a triton). Absolutely firm though, so not the wallowy 'ride the wave' kind of feel most people look for in a 4x4 touring shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Thanks Cracka and 929, will take on board.

Reply from Oz supplier:

These part numbers are not ideal for your requirements, certainly the fronts will be too hard for off road and the rears will be too short. We have our own part numbers BE5 H422 and BE5 H146, these are a 46mm mono tube shock rated to our specification. The front use a digressive piton that gives good control and steering response, whereas the rear part number has a linear rate to give the comfort with good traction. Of note also the rear is 660mm extended length which is necessary for the raised set up. Supply price is $880 for the set.
    Part numbers I enquired about: BE5-6043 and BE5-6044 in rlation to my specific application with a ride quality priority

The konis in nine2nines patrol are smooth, would recomend. Also patrol 4x4 guys rate the bilstiens. Dont get efs they are not comfortable. Really for comfort you will need to get a high end shock the normal everyday brands are crap in comparison.
    Hr under construction

Quote Originally Posted by hrt5l View Post
    The konis in nine2nines patrol are smooth, would recomend. Also patrol 4x4 guys rate the bilstiens. Dont get efs they are not comfortable. Really for comfort you will need to get a high end shock the normal everyday brands are crap in comparison.
    Pretty comfortable in my Hilux, 10x better than the Ranchos that were twice the price.
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Got them in my patrol, they are not a bad shock for the money but not in the same league as the konis, not even close.
    Hr under construction

Quote Originally Posted by hrt5l View Post
    Got them in my patrol, they are not a bad shock for the money but not in the same league as the konis, not even close.
    I haven't had a set so can't really comment. I was going to go Koni's this time around until I priced them. No way in hell im dropping $1500 on 4 shocks on a bloody hilux!!

It's generally accepted that Bilstein and Koni make the best 4wd shocks and i'm not disputing that, perhaps EFS valve their shocks to suit Patrols differently to Hiluxes but I am seriously blown away at the difference just a shock has made to it. I know of a couple of blokes with heavier trucks (patrols/cruisers) that really like the Ranchos but they don't seem to be as well received by owners driving anything lighter. The adjustable component on the 9000 Ranchos was a total wank. I had them set to the firmest setting, anything softer it was like you were driving a waterbed. Definitely not a shock purpose built for a hilux.

Ok so after some more research it seems that I did't do myself any favours in choosing the pro-comp shock absorbers with very low damping values compared to other offerings for patrols to try and achieve better ride quality.

The main gripe i have in it's current form is shake/wheel hop at maybe 5Hz which I assume is the natural frequency of at least part of the system. Reducing the damping value reduces the natural frequency of the system. The ute also has a pretty undesirable float feeling on secondary roads at highway speed. These papers, looking at the effect of increased unsprung mass reccommends maintaining a wheel hop frequency of at least 10Hz. I very much doubt the Partol is anywhere near that high.

http://www.proteanelectric.com/wp-co...-presented.pdf

http://www.proteanelectric.com/wp-co...e-Dynamics.pdf

The high unsprung mass Partol also exhibits the poor impact feeling observed in the increased unsprung mass tests described in the papers.

New plan: Go back to something more typical and proven with Patrol's and stop pretending I know stuff about suspension. Maybe put the tapered wire original springs back in the rear with 40mm spacers to match the front height.

So after the Procomp rubbish I went to Old Man Emu LTR remote res +50mm and tolerated them for years. The new hotness seems to be Ironman Foam Cell Pro so I'm giving them a go. They are freaking huge. 20mm shaft and 75mm OD with 3mm wall outer tube.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    I have run the foam cell pro for a few years now in 6" front and rear. Have done many trips and very happy with them.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

So after the Procomp rubbish I went to Old Man Emu LTR remote res +50mm and tolerated them for years. The new hotness seems to be Ironman Foam Cell Pro so I'm giving them a go. They are freaking huge. 20mm shaft and 75mm OD with 3mm wall outer tube.

I have Foam Cell Pros on FJ Cruiser and they are good large oil capacity twin tube shock. They look very much like cheaper version of Koni 90 series Raids .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5847.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	105402
    Last edited by Sumodog; 25-03-18 at 11:40 AM.

konis are still recommended. there is a guy out at ferny hills called "zordo" who is pretty good with 4wd suspension as well.

Fuck that noise, all the remote China shit is such a wank. Not racing trophy trucks. Since that post above, Iíve got another shorty. Got some bilsteins in again, then modified a little to suit the stock height HD coils. Was brilliant.

Got the shits with it still being too high. Put stock light coils in, then cut a coil and a half off stock rd28 springs all round. Not quite right, and now overshocked. Thinking of swapping to koniís or getting the billies revalved again.
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

And +1 on Zordo, Johnís a real nice chap. Beats pricing from anywhere else, and always happy for a chat.

The Ironman FCPs have felt great so far. I used to think the cab needed lateral bracing because it seemed to shake so bad on dirt roads. All that is gone now and it feels like a new car. Granted the new Toyo Open Country A/Ts probably helped a fair bit too.

Thinking Ironman fcps or the dobinson mrrs for my next set of shocks in the Nav.

The current set of Lovells gas legends are just starting to get on the loose side, probably should have written down the kms when I fitted them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I've had OME Nitrochargers on my HJ60 for about 15 years and 150,000km.

No idea if they still make them but they're good as new, wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.