Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fridges

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fridges

Hey guys, in the market for a small Fridge, 40L to 50L capacity.

Mainly for road trips with the family and single night camping trips.

Was looking at Waeco CF50 or CFX50, but then came accross this:

http://www.6thgear.com.au/the%20gear.html

Which are basically from what I can tell basically Waecos?

http://www.6thgear.com.au/the%20gear.html
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Opens
    Plastic engel, or steel engel if the budget stretches
    Diseasel 80 series with 100 series

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Anything that fits in the car well and has digital temperature control, 5 year warranty and battery protection. Plus got aftermarket parts support when our of warranty.

Though I have heard ARB fridges keep breaking lids and ebay ones are noisey.
    Last edited by nine2nine; 25-07-16 at 05:06 PM.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

I have a cfx40 and my no pics old boy has a 40L Engel steel body. The Engel uses more power but keeps food/drinks colder for longer plus feels more sturdy.

If I had my time again I would buy an Engel. In saying that I have had no issues with my waeco in the 2 years I've had it. Waeco just feels a little "cheap" compared to the Engel.

Have 40l Engel, never had an issue.

My pick is the steel bodied Engels. My folks bought one when I was born and are still using it. Never had one fuck up at work either.

We have however had a shit run with a lot of others:

ARB: Shit themselves and fuck out

Waeco: Screens and controls seem to fuck up. Some end up working as freezers only when this happens

Plastic Engels: Had a couple go wrong on warranty but once fixed/replaced haven't fucked up since.

For myself I couldn't justify the price of the metal bodied engel, and the plastic body one was a bit tall to fit under the tarp on the ute. Ended up with a Waeco CF50 and it's been ok. The one at work get absolutely smashed by the drill crews and probably age in dog years

Thanks all. I will look into Engel then. Is it possible to get one that does both freezing and fridge at the same time? I know some can switch between the two, but its one or the other only.
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Opens
    60 or 80 litre Combi do both at same time. $1650 and 1850 odd respectively
    Diseasel 80 series with 100 series

But for that money you can buy 3 cheaper fridges...

I have a steel Engel given to me by my in-laws.
    It has no digital anything, is probably older than me, but it still keeps beer cold.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

yeah, and those are too big anyways.
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

I have an 80l Waeco fridge/freezer (at same time) and its awesome on big trips but way too big for day trips. Hence now looking at buying a 40l a waeco. If you can afford it, two small fridges are geneally more practical than one big one due to the option of only taking one when only one is required.

Having said that, if it's a day trip I just chuck ice in an esky for the time being.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929

That's how I normally do it. I've got a big poly esky that keeps cold for ages, use that for anything that I can then have the waeco on freeze.

My system doesn't work so well for lettuce but who the fuck takes a lettuce camping.

I think I will look at Engel 35-40 L lads. Thanks, was going for Waeco originally
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Pollitically incorrect
    I see more waecos in trucks than engles these days... a lot more.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Why Engel over Waeco?

Out of all my mates there's not a single Engel, all Waecos and all work well.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Why Engel over Waeco?

Out of all my mates there's not a single Engel, all Waecos and all work well.
    I was going for a Waeco but when i went to BCF.... lift the lid on display model..and it was broken.

Got quickly turned off!
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    I was going for a Waeco but when i went to BCF.... lift the lid on display model..and it was broken.

Got quickly turned off!
    Ha! This is how we decided on getting our kitchen from Masters.
    Went to Bunnings and most of the hinges on the display cupboards were busted.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

We have an Engel 40th anniversary model. Love it.. perfect fit for the rear of the SWB.

Pretty happy with my 60l techniice yumcha spec fridge, got it on sale for next to nothing, has been running 3 days a week minimum for 4 years.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    Pretty happy with my 60l techniice yumcha spec fridge, got it on sale for next to nothing, has been running 3 days a week minimum for 4 years.
    Fafrk, 6 years warranty, and Danfross compressor..cant really argue with that ay?
    http://www.techniice.com/best-seller...ngle-6hdr.html
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    Fafrk, 6 years warranty, and Danfross compressor..cant really argue with that ay?
    http://www.techniice.com/best-seller...ngle-6hdr.html
    I rate them, look for the sales unless you need it immediately, you might lose some credibility with the Landcruiser/ARB/TJM bitumen warriors though.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

I have a pre-supercheap Evakool 40L. 3.5 years old and still going strong. Bought it new for $450 from a local camping store that was closing down.
    The customer.

Cool awesome, will ook at other brands too! Thanks guys!!!
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Had a ARB 60L for a couple of years now, not treated the greatest, just been across the Simpson desert, had a problem with a control board in the first couple of months which was replaced under warranty and it hasn't missed a beat since.

I've a 40L engel, it's 11 or 12 years old, never lets me down... well other than freezing everything on setting 2!

I want a 60L engel, as they are lower in height, marginally wider and 11ty billion times easier to pack your food.

To do it from scratch, I'd buy a 60L engel for the rear, and get a 15L for the centre console.
    15L in the center is bulk for day trips, few drinks, cold meat and you're laughing.

It's one of those items you don't skimp on, if you are out in the bush for days on end with a dud fridge, you're fucked.

Pollitically incorrect
    I bought a 2nd had waeco of a pfer.

works great, will freeze my beer in again.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

I bought an Ironman 50l to try it's 6 months old, hasnt been off and is working great. It was only $800 with a bag and I was being a tight arse at the time and thought it was worth a try. Ive had a 60L Engel it was great but the footprint was too big as they were just a shallow 80l. Engels definitely feel good quality wise but I'm not sure if they still have their legendary reliability I've heard of a few sitting themselves of late.
    6 months doesn't prove too much reliability wise though, if your going on a big Desert trip I'd stick with Engel or Waeco but for mostly shorter trips I wouldn't be scared to try an Ironman.
    Last edited by Berger; 07-08-16 at 01:55 AM.

My olds have a 40L Engel thats 15 years old, It has done at least one big trip every year (simpson desert, WA west coast, etc.), along with serving as beer fridge at christmas/bbqs. Never once needed service or repair.
    On the back of this, I just Bought a 40L steel case Engel for our cape trip last year. If you plan on doing anything remote, id go with an Engel/Waeco , if its just to keep the drinks/sandwiches cold on a day trip, then maybe go with the cheaper alternatives.

Mate was telling me yesterday of his latest new fridge woes over the last month or so.
    He bought a Primus Mammoth 100L (dual compartment) (I suggested a Waeco or Engel - he listened to the salesman...)

Out of the box, First one would not work at all, tried 12V and 240V - nothing - took it back.
    Swapped it with another one in stock, took it home, would not freeze below -2 on either side (ambient was about 20 degrees). Took it back, shop tried - same problem.
    Didn't' have another one in stock, so they said they would have one delivered next day by courier to his home. (by this time he told me what happened and I said, OK, now is the time to swap it over to a Waeco or Engel.. salesman assured him they were the only bad ones he had ever seen....

New one arrives, opens it, plugs it into 240 - everything seems to work, he mounts it in his car and has it running off his aux battery - works fine empty / few cans etc for a couple of weeks.
    2 weeks later he is heading away for a 20 day cape trip so fills it with food / drinks one side and frozen stuff on the other side. Freezer side shits itself by the time he gets to Cairns (3 days) will not go below about +2 degrees, so he swaps sides and is able to freeze the stuff in the other side and +2 degrees is fine for the food/drinks etc. about a week later - it stops working completely.. Both sides, will not chill at all, same as the first one... he is mega pissed...

If not for the fact that he wants to personally shove the fridge up the salesman's arse when he returns, he would have left it on the side of the road..